Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 150 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #4471 of 4495 Old 11-27-2014, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I've seen the great settings you've achieved on this model, especially on this take. Could you PM them? Since I'm new to the forum.

I'd appreciate if you can pass me on the settings for that result (the tree trunk on river image), thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 4495 Old 11-28-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I haven't been around for quite a while. Wanted to let everyone know I still own, and enjoy watching my 65W850a
post #4473 of 4495 Old 11-28-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper64 View Post
I haven't been around for quite a while. Wanted to let everyone know I still own, and enjoy watching my 65W850a
Me too! Absolutely love it, actually makes me happier knowing I go home and have a comfy seat in front of it.

AV7701
MM7055
B&W CM9 Fronts
B&W CM5 Rears
B&W CMC1 Center
Martin Logan BalancedForce 210 Sub

Oppo 103D
post #4474 of 4495 Old 11-30-2014, 08:40 PM

Liked: 12
I picked up the 65W850A also 6 months ago

Just recently found this thread and whitesands settings (thanks again whitesands)

I love your custom settings but i didnt like how neutral gave everyone a sun tan

I prefer having a slightly more toned down "Cool" setting with the color at 57 (all other custom settings at your recommendation)

"Neutral" at color: 60 does pop the colors, but looks a little to artificial
post #4475 of 4495 Old 12-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Motionflow set to Off

A week or so ago I set the motionflow on all 3 main picture modes to Off.

I usually keep the motionflow set on standard as I have found less pixeling or motion blur while watching the collage and pro football games. I sometimes see the ticker on the score update at the bottom of the screen jerking at times. I find as others have mentioned months ago that turning the motionflow Off, clears up that problem.

I have been looking for any pixelation with it set to off and so far after many games have looked great.

Don't test your motionflow quality on any short replay of a particular play by the network. Usually you will see some blur and pixelation on those 15 second replays during a game.
post #4476 of 4495 Old 12-05-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
it is the best tv i've owned so far, only problem is i hope they have 75 inch
post #4477 of 4495 Old 12-05-2014, 09:13 PM

also WhiteSands, could you please send me your current settings? otherwise, I would wait until I can PM you.
post #4478 of 4495 Old 12-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy w View Post
also WhiteSands, could you please send me your current settings? otherwise, I would wait until I can PM you.
They've been posted in this thread -- several times I think . See post # 4411:

Sony 65W850a reviews
post #4479 of 4495 Old 12-06-2014, 08:51 AM

WhiteSands, could you please PM me your settings? Thanks!
post #4480 of 4495 Old 12-07-2014, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any buy a refurb? I have 2 new ones that are great. Wondering if anyone encountered a problem w a refurb unit thanks.
post #4481 of 4495 Old 12-08-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm still loving mine as well. I use WhiteSands settings and they are great general purpose settings. I use them for sports and movies, sometimes changing small things. I've even started using them for games because I sometimes get too lazy to change it lol, also it looks nicer than the default "gaming" setting.
post #4482 of 4495 Old 12-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philharmonic View Post
Any buy a refurb? I have 2 new ones that are great. Wondering if anyone encountered a problem w a refurb unit thanks.
I have a refurb do for delivery tomorrow. I also have a 60F8500 that it will be replacing, long gamer story, so I will have a good side by side comparison. I know the Plasma will be better overall but I am hopeful the W850A is closer than I would initially expect.

Regardless I'm spending far too much time, and literally energy, babysitting my 8500's video game related image retention tendencies so a change had to be made.
post #4483 of 4495 Old 12-13-2014, 09:15 AM

So far this TV has been great! Thank you WhiteSands for the settings; I haven't heard any complaints yet. 2 quick questions about the set....

1. Is there a hotkey to change the picture mode or Motionflow setting?
  2. For PIP/P&P, is it possible to use 2 HDMI sources at the same time?

Thanks!

I drink my whiskey clear.
post #4484 of 4495 Old 12-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Going on 6 months with this TV, tried a lot of different settings (including WS's).

I been running the following settings for the last month, and think I will settle with them. They truly bring out the dark blacks, add a little pop, but nothing over the edge while at the same time keeping the picture looking natural and pleasant to the eye. Feel free to try them out, I think you will really enjoy the picture!

Scene Cinema 2
Picture Mode Cinema2
Backlight 7
Picture 90
Brightness 49
Color 50
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm2
Sharpness 50
Noise/MPEG/Dot Noise Reduction OFF
Reality Creation Manual
Video Area Detection Auto
Resolution 8
Noise Filtering Min
Smooth Gradation Off
Motionflow Off
CineMotion Auto

ADVANCED:
Black Corrector Off
Adv Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma 0 (results in Gamma=2.2)
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Off

White Balance
R-Gain -3
G-Gain -2
B-Gain -1
R-Bias -4
G-Bias -2
B-Bias -4
Detail Enhancer Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturalizer Off

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #4485 of 4495 Old 12-14-2014, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hey all -

from what I can tell, the recommendation for cleaning the screen of your LCD is to use distilled water and a cloth. Unfortunately, my two year-old's finger prints appear to be water resistant, or at least resistant to whatever stuff Monster puts in their bottles. I've tried to clean it, but then I get a cloudy smear. Thankfully it's only visible when the screen is off. What's everyone using to clean their sets?

Thx,

Mike

HDTV - Sony 65W850 / BD - Sony BDP-S5100 / AVR - Yamaha RX-A3030
Speakers - B&W 683S2/ HTM61S2 / 685 / Single Polk FXiA4 rear surround/ PSA XS15se sub
post #4486 of 4495 Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

Liked: 14
Has anyone with the clouding problem gotten a replacement that didn't have the issue? My friend's TV has it, and it bugs me. I was wondering if it is a bad TV or just the way it is. I don't want to say anything to him if we go through all the effort and get another TV with the same problem.
post #4487 of 4495 Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

Would be a cruel thing to ruin the tv for him if it doesn't bother him. heh

post #4488 of 4495 Unread Yesterday, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciosad View Post
So far this TV has been great! Thank you WhiteSands for the settings; I haven't heard any complaints yet. 2 quick questions about the set....

1. Is there a hotkey to change the picture mode or Motionflow setting?
  2. For PIP/P&P, is it possible to use 2 HDMI sources at the same time?

Thanks!
I received a few emails from some Sony rep asking for my suggestions for any improvement on this set.

My main suggestion was to put a key on the remote making it easy to switch between the 3 picture-mode. I won't know till into early in the year if they do add that feature or not.

My other suggestion was to use external speakers with a small subwoofer for better sound.

The 2015 sets will be shown at the big CES show in Vegas it's the first week of January and last for 4 days.

This electronic show has cell phones, all kinds of computes, TV's and other new products to show. I pay particular attention to Samsung, LG and any other large TV competitors vs the Sony sets.

I'm hoping that Sony may come out with a larger screen version of this W850a set that makes such a great picture including triluminos colors and it's deep blacks.

I have heard you may use this set for pip. I think the other signal source would be from your external TV antenna input. I use dish network and it has a built in pip feature so to watch two shows at one but you choose which to have with sound.

About the motionflow, personally I would simply leave it off. That is unless your seeing some pixelation or motion blur while gaming. I watched 5 pro football games this weekend and they were flawless with the flow set to Off.i
I prefer Vivid for the live games and when watching any blu ray movies.

Last edited by WhiteSands; Yesterday at 02:49 PM.
post #4489 of 4495 Unread Yesterday, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchFury View Post
Has anyone with the clouding problem gotten a replacement that didn't have the issue? My friend's TV has it, and it bugs me. I was wondering if it is a bad TV or just the way it is. I don't want to say anything to him if we go through all the effort and get another TV with the same problem.
Clouding is when you see light appearing though the blacks on the screen. I have only seen this on my set if I go and turn-off the room light sensor. Doing this allows the leds to run at full brightness. On this set that's twice as bright as your normal vivid brightness.

Always leave the room light setting, set to On which is factory default.

You can use vivid or standard and do a reset on each this may help the clouding problem. I have the instructions on how to do a full-set reset which puts the set back to the factory settings just like when it left the manufacture. Ask if you want a copy of those.

Any refurbished set should look as good as a new one. These sets are carefully tested and any defective parts are replaced. I have read that some refurbished sets sometimes has a longer warranty than a new one.
post #4490 of 4495 Unread Yesterday, 03:48 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Clouding is when you see light appearing though the blacks on the screen.
I'm using the wrong term. What do you call it when the screen is pure white or grey and it looks likes like there are clouds instead of a solid color?
post #4491 of 4495 Unread Yesterday, 04:14 PM

Quote:

I have heard you may use this set for pip. I think the other signal source would be from your external TV antenna input. I use dish network and it has a built in pip feature so to watch two shows at one but you choose which to have with sound.
I played around with PIP & P&P feature a bit this weekend.... Based on how the TV handled, it seems like there are 4 separate display groups: antenna; component; composite; hdmi. The P&P and PIP features appear to allow you to display two signals from separate groups, but not allow you to display 2 signals from the same group. ...do you think I'd lose any video quality if I ran component video from my AVR to the set instead of HDMI? This would allow me to play games from my video processor (xrgb-mini) while having a football game on the other half of the screen.

Quote:
About the motionflow, personally I would simply leave it off. That is unless your seeing some pixelation or motion blur while gaming. I watched 5 pro football games this weekend and they were flawless with the flow set to Off.i
I prefer Vivid for the live games and when watching any blu ray movies.
I'll try out this method & let you know how it goes. What do you prefer for watching cable? Does it matter what you're watching on cable? ...for instance, would you use Vivid for HBO/Showtime/etc.?

post #4492 of 4495 Unread Yesterday, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Using Component cables is very close to HDMI quality. With HDMI you might see a slightly sharper picture but you would have to look close.

What do I use to watch cable. I'm 8 miles from town with no cable so we are using the dish network service. I use Vivid for any live sports, drag racing, football and they look fantastic.

I use picture-mode, Standard for all other TV viewing. They are some movies on dish where I may switch to Vivid which up's the colors some and enhances the blacks making viewing a old movie more pleasant.

I don't have any gaming set so I can test how this set would perform with the motionflow set to Off. I do know this set has one of the fastest lag times of them all at 18 ms.
post #4493 of 4495 Unread Yesterday, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchFury View Post
I'm using the wrong term. What do you call it when the screen is pure white or grey and it looks likes like there are clouds instead of a solid color?
I still think it would be clouding but I don't see how you could see any white clouding on a all white screen. I'm assuming your looking at the screen from near center screen about a 8 or 9 foot viewing distance. When testing for any problems its best to be centered with the viewing screen.

I found when testing a white screen only look for any problems in the white background like on a TV ad where they show their product name with a all white background. Other white sources may show problems even on my set.

This solid light gray screen may not be a good enough example. You can see some distortions (may be called banding) in the gray at the bottom and etc. This is perfectly normal with this set and is caused by the triluminous filter. You should never see any problems with a good HD picture on the screen.

With a good picture the screen should look like these below.

Last edited by WhiteSands; Yesterday at 09:21 PM.
post #4494 of 4495 Unread Today, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcmahon67 View Post
Hey all -

from what I can tell, the recommendation for cleaning the screen of your LCD is to use distilled water and a cloth. Unfortunately, my two year-old's finger prints appear to be water resistant, or at least resistant to whatever stuff Monster puts in their bottles. I've tried to clean it, but then I get a cloudy smear. Thankfully it's only visible when the screen is off. What's everyone using to clean their sets?

Thx,

Mike
No cleaning suggestions?

HDTV - Sony 65W850 / BD - Sony BDP-S5100 / AVR - Yamaha RX-A3030
Speakers - B&W 683S2/ HTM61S2 / 685 / Single Polk FXiA4 rear surround/ PSA XS15se sub
post #4495 of 4495 Unread Today, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcmahon67 View Post
No cleaning suggestions?
Make sure that it is a soft microfiber cloth. That makes a huge difference.

I purchased a NXG cleaning kit for only $6 from Amazon that included a microfiber cloth and bottle of solution that worked great for a smudge on my screen that I initially made worse by using water and a towel on. It's perfectly clean now.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page