Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 151 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2014, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Everybody has their preferences. Personally I never use vivid and motionflow. Sonys are pretty accurate when calibrated.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Everybody has their preferences. Personally I never use vivid and motionflow. Sonys are pretty accurate when calibrated.

S~
I agree, when I first received my set over a year ago Vivid looked like I was watching a light bulb for any night viewing. This is why in my settings I lower the backlight to make Vivid more pleasing to watch.

I use the picture-mode Standard a lot for regular TV watching. All I do to this one is turn up the backlight to max.
Give it a try and see if you like the slightly brighter picture and colors, not near what Vivid is.

I also turn up the backlight on Custom. The factory default on that is way to faded to me.
I do like Custom at times due to the lower blacks and softer colors with my settings.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 12-23-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sony KDL65W850A - settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
I agree, when I first received my set over a year ago Vivid looked like I was watching a light bulb for any night viewing. This is why in my settings I lower the backlight to make Vivid more pleasing to watch.

I use the picture-mode Standard a lot for regular TV watching. All I do to this one is turn up the backlight to max.
Give it a try and see if you like the slightly brighter picture and colors, not near what Vivid is.

I also turn up the backlight on Custom. The factory default on that is way to faded to me.
I do like Custom at times due to the lower blacks and softer colors with my settings.
Hi WhiteSands,

Can you please PM me your settings?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Whitesands, could you please PM me your settings? Just got hold of this set in Asia. Appreciate it.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by izark View Post
Hi Whitesands, could you please PM me your settings? Just got hold of this set in Asia. Appreciate it.
Whitesands should share a google drive, with a text.doc in it that he can update whenever, of his settings for everyone =) I assume the PM I got from him in July this year with his settings, have been tweaked / changed since then.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
I still think it would be clouding but I don't see how you could see any white clouding on a all white screen. I'm assuming your looking at the screen from near center screen about a 8 or 9 foot viewing distance. When testing for any problems its best to be centered with the viewing screen.

I found when testing a white screen only look for any problems in the white background like on a TV ad where they show their product name with a all white background. Other white sources may show problems even on my set.

This solid light gray screen may not be a good enough example. You can see some distortions (may be called banding) in the gray at the bottom and etc. This is perfectly normal with this set and is caused by the triluminous filter. You should never see any problems with a good HD picture on the screen.

With a good picture the screen should look like these below.

Hey WhiteSands! Its been awhile buddy. I see your still posting beautiful pics of your tv and as always they look beautiful.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Steve, yes i'm still posting some of my earlier pictures and sending out my settings when requested.

I just read a preview of the 2015 CES show in Vegas that starts the first week of, January 6th to the 9th. Check google and youtube for updates including Sony's homepage.

Their saying again the big focus is on the 4K models. Some of the major manufactures like Samsung are dumping the very expensive OLED idea and will use quantum dot filters for more and enhanced colors. I thought in time they might follow Sony's lead using the Triluminos colors like our 2013, 65W850a sets have.

I just don't get the 4K idea. Why don't the networks and movie streamers like Netflix and Amazon send out a blu ray quality signal. My TV looks fantastic when I play a blu ray disk and would with any incoming blu ray quality signal.

My guess would be the wide bandwidth it takes for the blu ray picture and sound quality. Then again they learned to compress the wide HD signal down and expand it back in the TV tuner. Why not compress a blu ray signal to our sets. I have no idea how the blu ray bandwidth would compare to the present 4K signal.

Oh well, i'm more than happy with my W850a set as is and maybe someday Sony will duplicate this set with a faster processor and larger screen. Man these pro football games look fantastic on my TV.

Whitesands

Last edited by WhiteSands; 12-29-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:46 AM

Thank you WhiteSands for the PM!
Old 12-30-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
can you please send me your settings please
Old 12-30-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Steve, yes i'm still posting some of my earlier pictures and sending out my settings when requested.

I just read a preview of the 2015 CES show in Vegas that starts the first week of, January 6th to the 9th. Check google and youtube for updates including Sony's homepage.

Their saying again the big focus is on the 4K models. Some of the major manufactures like Samsung are dumping the very expensive OLED idea and will use quantum dot filters for more and enhanced colors. I thought in time they might follow Sony's lead using the Triluminos colors like our 2013, 65W850a sets have.

I just don't get the 4K idea. Why don't the networks and movie streamers like Netflix and Amazon send out a blu ray quality signal. My TV looks fantastic when I play a blu ray disk and would with any incoming blu ray quality signal.

My guess would be the wide bandwidth it takes for the blu ray picture and sound quality. Then again they learned to compress the wide HD signal down and expand it back in the TV tuner. Why not compress a blu ray signal to our sets. I have no idea how the blu ray bandwidth would compare to the present 4K signal.

Oh well, i'm more than happy with my W850a set as is and maybe someday Sony will duplicate this set with a faster processor and larger screen. Man these pro football games look fantastic on my TV.

Whitesands

First WhiteSands I never have gotton the 4K idea myself and never will because I dont see what the hype is all about. I see no difference in PQ between a 1080p tv and a 4K tv at 55inches and I truly believe to enjoy the benefit of 4K you need a projection system or at the very least a 70inch tv or bigger. But thats just my view on the 4K garbage. I read that Samsung is going the QD route as well and I think its a good idea because Sony proved in 2013 just how good the QD tech is and can be but is it a good idea to dump the OLED idea? That remains to be seen. I have no intertest in CES 2015 because all its going to center around is once again the hype that is 4K which I have no interest in or have no need for. I have everything thing, almost, I need in my HT setup. The beautiful Sony 55W900a, a killer 5.1 surround sound system, and come this weekend a new Sony Blu ray player. Now the only thing I would upgrade for is a bigger screen W900a by Sony which till this day I cant understand why in the world they only released the W900a in a 55inch screen! That, along with dropping QD's, was the biggest mistake Sony made. A 65inch W900a would have been a killer and must have for me. But instead they only went 55inches on the W900a and went with 65inches on your W850a. Makes no sense to me but it is what it is. But a 65inch W900a will never happen because Sony is to entrenched with 4K and they can have it because I am happy, very happy, with what I have. I am set for the forseeable future.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

I'm with you Steve on not understanding why Sony didn't come out with a bigger screen on the fantastic KDL-55W900a and the KDL-65W850a sets for 2013.

I never thought of a large projection setup with 4K might be nice, but then the disk or 4k satellite programming would be costly.

You would think that these set manufactures would be competing for a lower hot selling 1080p set that makes the best picture. To me that would be were the demand would be.

Were at their mercy and like each CES Vegas show in January, wait and see what their offering for the new year.

Larger screen OLED sets cost around $10K so that may be why Samsung is dropping that method of panels.

Found this below which is interesting. I still believe the 4K sets are more for 75" to 125" screen panel sizes.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ces-2015-tvs-4k-all-the-way/
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 12-30-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
thank you very very much whitesands for your settings.... i just bought this tv can't wait to arrived and apply your settings on kdl-65w850a .

Thank you
Old 12-31-2014, 02:34 PM

Liked: 10
I just purchased this set and the picture is awesome. The audio shop I usually deal with convinced me that I was better off with his last remaining set than with a Samsung H7150. It does seem that way!
From what I read in this forum WhiteSands has the settings everyone likes.

WhiteSands, can you please PM me your settings.

Thanks a bunch and Happy New Year everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2015, 06:40 AM

Liked: 10
WhiteSands, thank you so very much for sharing your settings!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

WhiteSand's settings have to be the most popular settings on here and the net. I have never seen so many requests!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Now that the sets are harder to find it's setting down to 1 or 2 request a night. These may be a few new owners or people that's owned this set for a while and happened onto the AVS forums to look up their model set and some end up asking for my settings.

I watched some killer top 4 collage games today and will be ready for the upcoming wildcard pro weekend. I'm already looking forward to the big Collage Playoff game on January 12th in Jerry's house. I bet they pack that place for that one.

I still wish I had a 55W900A set to share with my W850A set. I never seen any TV like you W900a that can boast 138 5-star reviews on the amazon site. I still can't understand why Sony don't make a set like that in a 70" size with a faster processor to carry it's great picture and colors to the screen. I been reading this is a big 4K year with new lower prices. I guess I don't mind if the prices are low enough and can still get these fantastic pictures with the great deep blacks. Will be checking out the new sets shown during the big CES show in Vegas which starts on January 6th though the 9th or next Tuesday though Friday.

I use google, cnet and youtube to keep up with what's going on with the new TV sets.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now that the sets are harder to find it's setting down to 1 or 2 request a night. These may be a few new owners or people that's owned this set for a while and happened onto the AVS forums to look up their model set and some end up asking for my settings.

I watched some killer top 4 collage games today and will be ready for the upcoming wildcard pro weekend. I'm already looking forward to the big Collage Playoff game on January 12th in Jerry's house. I bet they pack that place for that one.

I still wish I had a 55W900A set to share with my W850A set. I never seen any TV like you W900a that can boast 138 5-star reviews on the amazon site. I still can't understand why Sony don't make a set like that in a 70" size with a faster processor to carry it's great picture and colors to the screen. I been reading this is a big 4K year with new lower prices. I guess I don't mind if the prices are low enough and can still get these fantastic pictures with the great deep blacks. Will be checking out the new sets shown during the big CES show in Vegas which starts on January 6th though the 9th or next Tuesday though Friday.

I use google, cnet and youtube to keep up with what's going on with the new TV sets.

First WhiteSands Im glad that the requests are starting to slow a little bit for ya. I too have caught some collage games and they look fantastic on my W900a and so have the NFL games, looking forward to the NFL playoffs. I agree its amazing to see the 5-star reviews of the W900a on Amazon and on other sites and its still generating them even today and the W9 has been out of production for quite some time! Just tells you what a fantastic tv it was and still is. The reason Sony hasnt come out with a 70incher of the W9 is because their focus is now on 4K sets only and anything 1080p has taken a back seat. As I have said before I have zero interest in 4K no matter what the price is but I will be watching the CES broadcasts this year just to see what pops up in the audio side of things. That all being said. You and I have great sets that are still hard to beat PQ wise even in todays newer tech.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed on the amazon site for your w900a set that they had one used for like $1495. So their is no doubt your set sure holds it's value. That just goes to show how great the picture quality on your set.

I re-read more on the CES show and I think it was Sony and LG featuring some 8K sets. I looked on the Sony site for a 85" 4k set that cost $25,000. What do they think, is everybody is rich. A 65" 4k set sold in 2014 was up around $4000 for one model and $7000 for another.

What a relief that Sony say's their lowing the prices on the 4K sets. Even a $1000 off these prices I still could not afford one.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I noticed on the amazon site for your w900a set that they had one used for like $1495. So their is no doubt your set sure holds it's value. That just goes to show how great the picture quality on your set.

I re-read more on the CES show and I think it was Sony and LG featuring some 8K sets. I looked on the Sony site for a 85" 4k set that cost $25,000. What do they think, is everybody is rich. A 65" 4k set sold in 2014 was up around $4000 for one model and $7000 for another.

What a relief that Sony say's their lowing the prices on the 4K sets. Even a $1000 off these prices I still could not afford one.

Hey WhiteSands. Yea I had a guy offer me $1700 for mine and naturally I said no. Its amazing that for a 2013 model the w900a is still sought after and that says something for just how good it was and still is. The demand for the w900a is still there but sadly Sony has moved on. As for Sony and LG featuring 8K sets at this years CES? I read that to and it seems it may be the next step in video technology but what surprises me is that 4K hasnt really even takin off yet and they may be offering 8K sets? Really? Talk about technology moving at high rate of change!!! That being said they can take a $1000 off their 4K sets and I still refuse to budge because one I still couldnt afford it and 2 even if I could I wouldnt buy one because as I said before 4K does not intertest me in the least. I am happy and more then satisfied with my w900a and I will hold onto to it until it burns itself out and is beyond repair! NOW if someone wants to give me a 4K tv or buy me one? Thats different because it would go in another room in my home but my w900a would still go now where.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

My wife is really into reading up on future technologies. She keep telling me that nano-technology is so far advanced that their holding back on all they can do with it.

The other night she said the new big jump will be graphene technology. Something about using the properties of carbon. I think this stuff is cheap and may conduct better than gold.

I read somewhere the other night that a solar panel made with graphene can be lots cheaper than silicon and put out twice the voltage and maybe amps.

I did read on this site below that graphene will advance the digital screens we use today and hopefully at a much lower price.

I can remember back when they started using silicon for rectifiers that would convert ac to dc. Then came the transistor invented by Bell Labs. They simply put a on-off electrical switch in the middle of the transistor. Then they found it would amplify and do lots of other electrical things replacing the tubes in TVs and etc. Transistors ran cool and needed a fraction of the power to operate.

Some Engineer at Texas Instruments came up with etching or printing a photo etched circuit onto a thin quarter size silicon wafer including many transistors. The wafer was carefully cut up and made into many IC's. This became the integrated circuit also advanced by Fairchild Semiconductor corp. That technology really took off over the years and now we have about a billion transistors in just one rather fast 3.4 ghz CPU.

Today our TVs are made up of many small IC's and a fast CPU. (processor) This eliminates most of the capacitors that used to fail due to heat in the tube sets. They still use some capacitors in today's solid states sets to filter and regulate the power supply.

I'm glad I got to live in this 'Electronic World'. Seeing all these advancements from the old tube days is absolutely amazing to me.

http://www.graphenea.com/pages/graph...s#.VKg6YyvF-So

My dad in the old days took me to a saturday matinee. We walked out of the theater as I was looking into the display window of a western auto store next to the theater. I ask my dad what was that radio with a small screen on the front. My dad said, son that's something new where you can see the man as he gives the news. Boy did that ever take off in the early 50's. This pic below looks just like the first TV I ever saw though that window.

Did you know the early 1949/50 sets cost around $1000. As they grew popular the price dropped to $500 around 1953. The RCA color sets came out in '56 and was much improved with their '57 Deluxe version. Costly though at around $750. Zenith a very popular brand back then held off till 1963 and came out with more perfected and a much improved color set around $695. I bought one and it went though 3 families and it's 20 or more years of total use with just a few tubes replacements and one bad filter capacitor I had replaced over all those years.

Steve that old set was so old a friend of mine that last bought it ask me to drop by that it had went out. He had owned it for like 8 years. I removed the back and saw the convergence magnets plastic holder was so dried out from heat that it just fell off the neck of the picture tube. Those magnets are what lined up the red, green, and blue dots to give a sharp picture on the old CRT sets. I told my friend this set just died and you need to buy a new one which he did.

I remember angrily seeing these stupid test patterns during play of some of the big NFL Championship games like between green bay and dallas back in the early 60's. Some said cable cut. lol This was many years before any satellite network feeds were available to the local TV stations.

steve1971 and evoll88 like this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 01-04-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Some really good info you wrote whitesands,thanks for the post buddy.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Looking at youtube for the, CES show 2015, Sony. I found a video for the first day Jan 6th. A Sony spokesman talked about Sony's new 4K TV that's thinner than the current thin cell phones. The picture is enhanced by using a new high speed X1 processor. The processor also enhances the colors, picture detail and contrast.

I understand the X1 is for all the 4K XBR model sets. This X1 reminds me of Sony's first 2.2 ghz 'X-Reality PRO processor' first used in our W850a and W900a sets. This processor was built including a color, reality and motionflow control all inside this one processor. Sony said back in early 2013 this is to help save money and actually works better these circuits being built right into the processor.

Sony introduces their quantum dot technology back in January 2013 and in October called it their Triluminos display for the W850a set. This is why the 1080p sets, W850 and W900a had such outstanding picture detail, colors and deep blacks for any LED set.

So now their showing this new 2015 super thin 4K XBR Bravia set. I kept wondering how about the sound. They did mention in the video how the sound can reproduce the highs but no mention of mid range or bass. This is another reason I think Sony should use external speakers with a subwoofer and not mounted to the TV set. Hopefully included with the price of the set.

Sony is more into making high end sets, but I have seen some 32", 40" and 42" sets on display in the stores. So i'm anxious to see how large a screen size they make this year for the 1080p sets.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looking at youtube for the, CES show 2015, Sony. I found a video for the first day Jan 6th. A Sony spokesman talked about Sony's new 4K TV that's thinner than the current thin cell phones. The picture is enhanced by using a new high speed X1 processor. The processor also enhances the colors, picture detail and contrast.

I understand the X1 is for all the 4K XBR model sets. This X1 reminds me of Sony's first 2.2 ghz 'X-Reality PRO processor' first used in our W850a and W900a sets. This processor was built including a color, reality and motionflow control all inside this one processor. Sony said back in early 2013 this is to help save money and actually works better these circuits being built right into the processor.

Sony introduces their quantum dot technology back in January 2013 and in October called it their Triluminos display for the W850a set. This is why the 1080p sets, W850 and W900a had such outstanding picture detail, colors and deep blacks for any LED set.

So now their showing this new 2015 super thin 4K XBR Bravia set. I kept wondering how about the sound. They did mention in the video how the sound can reproduce the highs but no mention of mid range or bass. This is another reason I think Sony should use external speakers with a subwoofer and not mounted to the TV set. Hopefully included with the price of the set.

Sony is more into making high end sets, but I have seen some 32", 40" and 42" sets on display in the stores. So i'm anxious to see how large a screen size they make this year for the 1080p sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMCOULJckto

Nice lookin lineup from Sony for 2015 WhiteSands but Im not impressed enough to go run out and buy one when they are released. So it looks like my W900A is not going to be replaced in 2015 and Im fine with that. But boy is that tv in the video thin! Thin is in as they say!!! lol.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:11 PM

Liked: 11
Just got this TV open box at Hhgregg for $980. Damn happy with that price, and this TV is amazing so far (still playing around with setup).

I care mostly about gaming, so the low input lag was a huge draw.

My 5 year old Samsung HL67A750 was a great looking TV, but it broke 3 times in less than 5 years. With multiple points of widepread failure (DMD chips, Red LED, and bad capacitors) it's not worth fixing myself. Samsung blew me off repairing it this time, so I am done ever buying one of their TVs again.

I was not really wanting to buy a TV right now, because I don't feel that 4k is mature enough yet that I want to make the jump for a close to $3k set. I had decided on the cheaper (and smaller) Sony KDL60W630B, something I could live with for a few years. But I saw this one sitting there for what seems to be a great price and jumped on it.

The upgrade in quality is amazing. I look forward to getting it dialed in.
steve1971 likes this.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike17032 View Post
Just got this TV open box at Hhgregg for $980. Damn happy with that price, and this TV is amazing so far (still playing around with setup).

I care mostly about gaming, so the low input lag was a huge draw.

My 5 year old Samsung HL67A750 was a great looking TV, but it broke 3 times in less than 5 years. With multiple points of widepread failure (DMD chips, Red LED, and bad capacitors) it's not worth fixing myself. Samsung blew me off repairing it this time, so I am done ever buying one of their TVs again.

I was not really wanting to buy a TV right now, because I don't feel that 4k is mature enough yet that I want to make the jump for a close to $3k set. I had decided on the cheaper (and smaller) Sony KDL60W630B, something I could live with for a few years. But I saw this one sitting there for what seems to be a great price and jumped on it.

The upgrade in quality is amazing. I look forward to getting it dialed in.

Congrats Mike. Its a great tv and next to the w900a you would be hard pressed to find a better 1080p tv.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 AM

Hi Whitesand,

I just purchard the 60W850 and I am new to the forum. Would you be able to send me your picture settings please? I am not able to send PM's just yet.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:28 PM

settings

Hi Whitesands, i also purchased this tv set on a Walmart Mexico promotion.
i would love to have your very famous settings on my tv as well.

I am a new member, could you please PM me? thanks.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:34 PM

Thank you so much for the sharing your settings, Whitesands! They are great!
Old 01-15-2015, 01:30 PM

Could you pm the settings WhiteSands? (:
Old 01-24-2015, 01:22 PM

WhiteSands, can you PM me the settings as well? Thank you!

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led