Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 152 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #4531 of 4542 Old 01-25-2015, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me with something. I've been attempting to calibrate my "game" mode setting ever since seeing this video:

How To Set up your TV for Games Correctly. -

The point is in this video it mentions the "full" and "limited" color range that some TVs have. The only thing I found on my 65" w850a is a setting for "Dynamic Range" and it does have a full and limited range. Is this the same thing? I'v been unable to find anything concrete about it online.

If I set my TV to "full" and Xbox One or PS4 to "limited" it seems like I can see more of the different shades of black on the Xbox One calibration screen but as soon as I change them both to match at full or limited, I can't see them anymore.

Sorry if this is confusing. Let me know if there is any other information I can provide to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 4542 Old 01-28-2015, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my W850a, would love these TOP SECRET SETTINGS i keep hearing about, but i need 15 post to PM WhiteSands
post #4533 of 4542 Old 01-28-2015, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
can someone please send me the settings for this kdl-65w850a for standard destination. i hook up this tv with direct tv receiver using rca cable and the picture quality is worst then crt tv. before i was using crt tv philips 27 inch and the picture was very clear. but i don't get that clearness in the lcd tv. so can some one please help me with the settings ?

Thank you
post #4534 of 4542 Old 01-29-2015, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony2014 View Post
can someone please send me the settings for this kdl-65w850a for standard destination. i hook up this tv with direct tv receiver using rca cable and the picture quality is worst then crt tv. before i was using crt tv philips 27 inch and the picture was very clear. but i don't get that clearness in the lcd tv. so can some one please help me with the settings ?

Thank you
Try not to use the RCA cables as that's old school analog method. Best is using HDMI cables or at least component cables which the extra cable has a green marked plug. Using component you also have to run a separate audio cable. Both will give you a great digital quality picture.

Sorry guys i'm running a day to 3 days late on sending out my settings. I found 3 request by PM and the few here in the forums. Actually it's easier now with not so many request to ask for them here in the forums.

Tonight, Thursday I will send my settings to you.

whitesands
steve1971 and evoll88 like this.
post #4535 of 4542 Old 01-29-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 127
RCA Cables?

I'm still using Rabbit Ears with tinfoil on them!

How many people have you helped on here so far WhiteSands? And good job by the way...........
post #4536 of 4542 Old 01-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax-Franko View Post
RCA Cables?

How many people have you helped on here so far WhiteSands? And good job by the way...........
Yeah sure, like digital tinfoil. lol Good to hear from you Franko. I have helped many more than just with my settings. I was up to 400 copies sent out by July 2014 when they stopped making this fantastic set. I'm for sure up over 450 settings sent out by now. I didn't get these last 2 sent out till later tonight.
Fairfax-Franko likes this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 01-30-2015 at 01:50 PM.
post #4537 of 4542 Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Got buggy166 and part-time-parks fixed up but I was 3 days late on one of those.

Sony2014 and zionone I just sent yours. Dumping any RCA cables for video and you will see just how great the picture is when using the HDMI or Component cables. It's a huge jump going from a CRT analog TV to a all digital TV and digital satellite receiver.

One of you mentioned needing gaming settings, live hockey game settings and streaming blu ray. Ok my settings are for the Sony KDL-65W850A but I have heard back from many saying these settings worked on their new 65W850B sets which was first sold in 2014.

Some use the Scene-Selection/ Game for the fastest 18ms lag speed. You would have to set the Scene-Selection back to General after playing games to prevent the set from auto switching you to some different video level you might not like when watching a movie. By setting it back to General you can then use the 3 main picture-mode settings which work best.

Those are Vivid which I use for any live games, auto races or watching any blu-ray/ DVD's or streaming any movies.

Another picture-mode is, Standard I use a lot for music shows or regular TV watching.

Picture-mode, Custom although with my settings it looks more movie like in a darkened room. Custom has the least blacks and lower contrast.

I once forgot and left it set to Standard. I walked by the set and saw a rather faded low contrast sitcom TV Show my wife was watching. I took the remote and moved it from Custom to Standard and then the picture looked great.

Enjoy your sets, to me these sets are right up their with a great picture as good as any of these new sets coming out.

I wanted a second Sony W850a with the lower price but they are very hard to find. My wife say's no. Sony comes out with a affordable 75 inch set you will be wanting one. Gee, she reads me like a book. lol

Last edited by WhiteSands; 01-30-2015 at 01:59 PM.
post #4538 of 4542 Old 01-30-2015, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Yeah sure, like digital tinfoil. lol Good to hear from you Franko. I have helped many more than just with my settings. I was up to 400 copies sent out by July 2014 when they stopped making this fantastic set. I'm for sure up over 450 settings sent out my now. I didn't get these last 2 sent out till later tonight.
Good for you WhiteSands - great job!

Back when my father was alive he fell for one of those TV Guide ads selling rabbit ears with a small round dish in the middle that they were trying to say was a satellite dish. He was so excited when they came he called me to come see them on top of his TV. It did nothing more than his regular rabbit ears except make him $9.95 poorer. I had a rotating antenna on a tall pole above my house - I think it was called a Golen Rod or something high-tech like that.
post #4539 of 4542 Unread Yesterday, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

They use lots of tricks of rabbit ear designs to make people think it's better for more money. Actually a good amplified indoor antenna does work well if your in a big city. Digital signals don't have any ghost. The set chooses only the very best signal for you to watch.

Digital TV was a huge step in technology over the old soft, fuzzy analog pictures with the 480 plus black scanning lines that used to drive me crazy. Back then the larger screen size TV you bought the easier the now spaced lines were to see.
Fairfax-Franko likes this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; Yesterday at 03:41 AM.
post #4540 of 4542 Unread Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Try not to use the RCA cables as that's old school analog method. Best is using HDMI cables or at least component cables which the extra cable has a green marked plug. Using component you also have to run a separate audio cable. Both will give you a great digital quality picture.

Sorry guys i'm running a day to 3 days late on sending out my settings. I found 3 request by PM and the few here in the forums. Actually it's easier now with not so many request to ask for them here in the forums.

whitesands
i would have use component cable but direct tv receiver dose not have component port. it only have RCA port and RG-6 port.
post #4541 of 4542 Unread Yesterday, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax-Franko View Post
RCA Cables?

i can use Rabbit Ears but there is only 1 channel available in my country area.
post #4542 of 4542 Unread Today, 11:00 AM

Quote:

whitesands

whitesands thank you for sending me the PM.

this is the receiver model number >D12-100
and when i press display on remote this is what i get VIDEO 1,NTSC 12:54PM SCENE SELECT:GENERAL
FULL

Thank you
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page