Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 153 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #4561 of 4588 Old 02-06-2015, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i still see that black spot on the screeen. do you think is this normal ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	531209  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4588 Old 02-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 437
All these sets have that same look on a non HD gray picture due to the triluminos filters. You mentioned a dark spot, it would be better to call it a dark area.

You will never see this when watching TV so I don't see why you worry about it. Somewhere in these same forums months ago I explained how to get to the service manual color screen displays. Now I forget which post # it was.

If your interested you can enter the sets Service Menu by following these steps. Their is a way to reach some full color screens, white, black, gray, red, green and blue if I remember correctly. You may be able to figure it out once you get the service menu to open. This sequence has to be done at a rapid pace.

Turn off your television. The “Service Mode” menu is accessible only from a direct boot of the TV.

Press the “Display” button on your Bravia remote control, followed by the “5” button and the volume “+” button.

Turn the television on with the “Power” button on the remote. The TV will boot into the “Service Mode” menu.
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 02-07-2015 at 08:31 PM.
post #4563 of 4588 Old 02-09-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
All these sets have that same look on a non HD gray picture due to the triluminos filters. You mentioned a dark spot, it would be better to call it a dark area.

You will never see this when watching TV so I don't see why you worry about it. Somewhere in these same forums months ago I explained how to get to the service manual color screen displays. Now I forget which post # it was.

If your interested you can enter the sets Service Menu by following these steps. Their is a way to reach some full color screens, white, black, gray, red, green and blue if I remember correctly. You may be able to figure it out once you get the service menu to open. This sequence has to be done at a rapid pace.

Turn off your television. The “Service Mode” menu is accessible only from a direct boot of the TV.

Press the “Display” button on your Bravia remote control, followed by the “5” button and the volume “+” button.

Turn the television on with the “Power” button on the remote. The TV will boot into the “Service Mode” menu.
when i watch a tv i can see those dark area especially when for eg. boy or girl walking from left side to right side of the screen at that time i can see those dark area.....
post #4564 of 4588 Old 02-13-2015, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony2014 View Post
when i watch a tv i can see those dark area especially when for eg. boy or girl walking from left side to right side of the screen at that time i can see those dark area.....
I think your talking about your Sony W850a set. If so this sound like a defective front panel or screen as some would say. If you bought your set as a refurbished set for a very low price it may have somehow passed Sony's inspection for it to be returned for sale.

I don't know which is best to call the seller or Sony to see what can be done. The set had a years warranty and I have seen a few refurbished sets that played like new that Sony gave a 2 year warranty to get people to buy them. This was back when the new sets were plentiful.

Their is this possibility the seller or even Sony my not be able to find a exact replacement. It not Sony would offer a newer 2014 model set maybe the same screen size. I did know of one fellow that Sony exchanged him a 70" model to replace his bad W850a when the W890a's were all gone.

I would not keep a non perfect set if I were you. Let us know if you decide on trying for a newer set. Occasionally Sony will come up with a W850a set for a replacement but not near as often as back in August though December last year. Sony made the great W850a set till July 2014 then shut down production on it.
post #4565 of 4588 Old 02-13-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
I think your talking about your Sony W850a set. If so this sound like a defective front panel or screen as some would say. If you bought your set as a refurbished set for a very low price it may have somehow passed Sony's inspection for it to be returned for sale.

I don't know which is best to call the seller or Sony to see what can be done. The set had a years warranty and I have seen a few refurbished sets that played like new that Sony gave a 2 year warranty to get people to buy them. This was back when the new sets were plentiful.

Their is this possibility the seller or even Sony my not be able to find a exact replacement. It not Sony would offer a newer 2014 model set maybe the same screen size. I did know of one fellow that Sony exchanged him a 70" model to replace his bad W850a when the W890a's were all gone.

I would not keep a non perfect set if I were you. Let us know if you decide on trying for a newer set. Occasionally Sony will come up with a W850a set for a replacement but not near as often as back in August though December last year. Sony made the great W850a set till July 2014 then shut down production on it.

Great post WS. Sony made the great W850A and W900A and sadly closed down productions on both models in July 2014. Big mistake in my opinion.
post #4566 of 4588 Old 02-13-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:

it is a refurbished set that i bought from sonyoutlet with Extended Service Plan Description: 5 Yr Protection Plan
Plan start date: 12/29/2014
Plan end date: 12/29/2019
because its a refurbished tv thats why i spent little extra for the Extended Service Plan. but it dosent work at sony. i called sony and send them the picture and this is what they email me....

Dear Mr.......

Thank you for contacting Sony Electronics Inc. regarding your Sony Television model KDL65W850A. Your letter has been forwarded to the National Customer Relations office for response.

Sony takes great pride in the workmanship and design of each of our products. A Limited Warranty was provided with your product that warrants against defects in material or workmanship for a designated period

We apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you, however due to the fact that your unit is operating within specifications after we and the engineering team checked the pictures, Sony will not be able to honor your request.

Sincerely,

Carlos C5SW

yesterday i was watching tv and then i have to go to dinner so i turn off the tv using provided remote control when i get back from dinner i turn onn the tv using the same remote control tv did turn onn with black screen with white light where it says SONY but there is no picture on the screen when i press the HOME key on the remote it dosent bring up any menu on the tv. no matter what key i press on remote tv is not responding at all. so i call the sony support and they told me that i have to reset the tv which i did. and the tv is working again. i ve ask the support team that what caused this issues... and they are like is you tv working again or not ? yes it is working but i would like to no that why its happening and then finally they told me that power supply is faulty... i ask support that can you send the tech out to service the tv and replace the power supply. they told me that we don't send tech out on a first time problem... if its happen again just try to do the reset..... very bad support from Sony i wasn't expecting this with 5 years protection plan........

Last edited by Sony2014; 02-13-2015 at 02:05 PM.
post #4567 of 4588 Old 02-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know why sony don't seem to want to work with you as your set is having problems. Just a possibility your set may have been trying to do a update when you turned it on.

This can only happen if you have your set connected to a internet router best using a cat-5 cable for the connection. This set has many updates about 10 or 11 as I remember. A newer set like yours may have a bundle of updates to be done once it's connected to the internet. This may clear up some of your problems then again may not.

Just a thought you may be able to find the right sony person and trade up to a 2014 set althought it may not have the triluminos feature.

Here below is sony's outlet store featuring some of their refurbished sets. As you know sony is usually eager to move them out. They may be able to transfer the extended warranty you bought. I'm kind of shocked about sony's response about you set acting up. The people I knew that bought this set as a refurb had no problems. Back then they had many sets available for replacements.

http://store.sony.com/televisions/ca...ed-Televisions
steve1971 likes this.
post #4568 of 4588 Old 02-13-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I don't know why sony don't seem to want to work with you as your set is having problems. Just a possibility your set may have been trying to do a update when you turned it on.

This can only happen if you have your set connected to a internet router best using a cat-5 cable for the connection. This set has many updates about 10 or 11 as I remember. A newer set like yours may have a bundle of updates to be done once it's connected to the internet. This may clear up some of your problems then again may not.

Just a thought you may be able to find the right sony person and trade up to a 2014 set althought it may not have the triluminos feature.

Here below is sony's outlet store featuring some of their refurbished sets. As you know sony is usually eager to move them out. They may be able to transfer the extended warranty you bought. I'm kind of shocked about sony's response about you set acting up. The people I knew that bought this set as a refurb had no problems. Back then they had many sets available for replacements.

if the set is trying to update. then it should say updating or give me any kind of mesaage for eg last week we got a update from sony.....
right person at sony ? from the accent i can tell that my calls is picked up from mexican guy

Last edited by Sony2014; 02-13-2015 at 04:54 PM.
post #4569 of 4588 Old 02-13-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow! They dont have one 55W900A on that page. I guess they dont have any refurbished W9's anymore either.
post #4570 of 4588 Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Your right Steve how sad it is that Sony don't make either of these fine TV's anymore. That's progress maybe but not to us. I'm still impressed with the great picture quality when i'm enjoying watching a good blue ray movie with the TV set to vivid. Even with the picture-mode set to Standard, some these new shows like on the History channel look so very real. I'm talking about a new show I saw on Sunday night called, Legend of the Superstition Mountains. This Sunday episode 1 will be repeated at 5 pm est and the new episode 2 at 10:05 est.
steve1971 likes this.
post #4571 of 4588 Old 02-13-2015, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony2014 View Post
if the set is trying to update. then it should say updating or give me any kind of message for eg last week we got a update from sony.....
right person at sony ? from the accent i can tell that my calls is picked up from mexican guy
Evidently your set must be updated as my over year old set also received that same update. Our of all the set owners here I don't recall any having problems with the set coming on. I called Sony many times asking questions where others were having problems. I remember they have call centers everywhere. I got one that answered in Central America. I always ask where are you located.. Late at night I usually get a tech in the Philippines. I would keep trying and if you continue having problems as you might find a good tech that can help you.

I wish they could talk you though to the service screen then show you how to pull up the pure white test screen to see if their is any dark areas as it should be pure white if you looking from the proper 9 foot viewing distance centered with the TV screen. That menu many times is hard to open and then to figure out how to get to the test screens. It's strange to me as I had ask may techs and they act like that service menu don't exist.

Someone here in the forms for this set told how to get to the test screens. I simplified his instructions keeping the info somewhere here in my computer, but have not been able to find it. If I do I will send the info to you.
post #4572 of 4588 Old 02-14-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Evidently your set must be updated as my over year old set also received that same update. Our of all the set owners here I don't recall any having problems with the set coming on. I called Sony many times asking questions where others were having problems. I remember they have call centers everywhere. I got one that answered in Central America. I always ask where are you located.. Late at night I usually get a tech in the Philippines. I would keep trying and if you continue having problems as you might find a good tech that can help you.

I wish they could talk you though to the service screen then show you how to pull up the pure white test screen to see if their is any dark areas as it should be pure white if you looking from the proper 9 foot viewing distance centered with the TV screen. That menu many times is hard to open and then to figure out how to get to the test screens. It's strange to me as I had ask may techs and they act like that service menu don't exist.

Someone here in the forms for this set told how to get to the test screens. I simplified his instructions keeping the info somewhere here in my computer, but have not been able to find it. If I do I will send the info to you.
thank you so much i am looking forward to receive your instruction when you find it. for the service menu i did ask tech and tech told me that you can't go there. if i did the warrenty of the tv will void....... only service tech can use that menu.
if i read this thread before i bought this crap from sony i would never have bought it ... why none of them take legal action ? it would just cost them $200.00 and its refundable when customers wins it.
http://community.sony.com/t5/Custome.../425400/page/2

Last edited by Sony2014; 02-14-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: add some thing that i forgot
post #4573 of 4588 Old 02-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

I had no idea sony was so bad to help any customer that had bought a set from them. Looks to me like sony is good to help the new set buyers for that first year till the set is out of warranty. After that they seem to shun any problems with the set. I will use reports like this to judge which brand I will look at next time I need to buy a set.

This brings back memories of a $2700 Panasonic VT-30 55" plasma set I bought. It had the same great picture as the new Sony W850a set I bought Oct 2013. Actually I preferred the LED side-lit set even more as it has the same deep blacks.

The Pana set lasted only 2-years then would not light up. I called the Pana service people after learning maybe of this same set model number was failing due to a weak spot in the SC circuit pack. I ask the Pana service lady if they had extended their one year service on this set and would fix it or at least send me a new SC board. She acted on the angry side practically shouting, your set only has a one year warranty and she hung up on me. I was also pretty angry when I was talking to her when she first answered. I could not believe a huge quality company would treat a customer like that. That's why bought this great Sony set with the triluminos filters. So it looks like Sony is ok on fixing the sets when they were new for that first year. I would think a refub warranty would be similar other than they don't have any of the same model sets to replace it with. I know of a few that sony gave them a newer set, one was a 70" model to replace a defective refurbished W850a set. This was a few months after July 2014 when they stopped making this set.

Many years ago I had bought a big screen Sony crt hdtv set that was rather expensive. I remember it had a $300 or so rebate. It took them over 6 or more months after many calls and some registered letters for me to receive the rebate. I remember for that set they were others in the forms having similar problems getting their rebates.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 02-14-2015 at 01:15 PM.
post #4574 of 4588 Old 02-14-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Your right Steve how sad it is that Sony don't make either of these fine TV's anymore. That's progress maybe but not to us. I'm still impressed with the great picture quality when i'm enjoying watching a good blue ray movie with the TV set to vivid. Even with the picture-mode set to Standard, some these new shows like on the History channel look so very real. I'm talking about a new show I saw on Sunday night called, Legend of the Superstition Mountains. This Sunday episode 1 will be repeated at 5 pm est and the new episode 2 at 10:05 est.

Yea thats progress WS. Its called making a buck and forgetting about quality and reliability which at one time made Sony great. Not so anymore. I think our tv's were one of the last great sets made by Sony. In my opinion their sets have suffered since our sets were made. How sad.
post #4575 of 4588 Old 02-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

I remember Sony having lots of trouble after making way to many play stations years ago when they first came out. Microsofts X-Box took off really big in sales. Sony was stuck with who knows how many play stations that just didn't seem to sell. Sony in 2013 caught up and passed up the X-Box with their newest play station and by lowering their price by $50 way outsold the X-Box. I understand this last Christmas Sony did it again by not by as big a margin. Their were some comparisons where the PS4 had better and more graphics than the X-Box. Actually i'm not a gamer and not even seen one play on a TV screen.

Well I hear things like Sony put all their attention to the PS4 and not so much on their few new TV's. I could be very wrong attempting to say again what I have read in these forums.

I sure thought Sony would come up with a killer new 1080p set that might beat out these great W850a and the W900a sets. Now all Sony thinks of on their new sets is their 4K jobs. Any 1080p sets I guess they must be selling those same 2014 models. For 2015 it looks like most are making and selling 4K weather we like it or not.

I'm like you Steve, I will wait and wait till the prices are very low and hopefully the TV stations are able to transmit a 4K signal for the football games and TV shows.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 02-14-2015 at 09:21 PM.
post #4576 of 4588 Old 02-15-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I remember Sony having lots of trouble after making way to many play stations years ago when they first came out. Microsofts X-Box took off really big in sales. Sony was stuck with who knows how many play stations that just didn't seem to sell. Sony in 2013 caught up and passed up the X-Box with their newest play station and by lowering their price by $50 way outsold the X-Box. I understand this last Christmas Sony did it again by not by as big a margin. Their were some comparisons where the PS4 had better and more graphics than the X-Box. Actually i'm not a gamer and not even seen one play on a TV screen.

Well I hear things like Sony put all their attention to the PS4 and not so much on their few new TV's. I could be very wrong attempting to say again what I have read in these forums.

I sure thought Sony would come up with a killer new 1080p set that might beat out these great W850a and the W900a sets. Now all Sony thinks of on their new sets is their 4K jobs. Any 1080p sets I guess they must be selling those same 2014 models. For 2015 it looks like most are making and selling 4K weather we like it or not.

I'm like you Steve, I will wait and wait till the prices are very low and hopefully the TV stations are able to transmit a 4K signal for the football games and TV shows.

WS, Sony is no longer interested in 1080p set's that's why no true sucessor's to the W9 and W850A have been manufactured by Sony and it's highly doubtful there ever will be. Right now their focus is on 4K and the PS4 and whether that turns out good or bad we will find out. As for them dropping prices on their 4Ksets is concerned they better because right now they aint making money and they need to. And as far as the tv media goin to 4K? That aint going to happen anytime soon buddy. Yes Directv is going to have a 4K channel and so is Comcast but havent we been down that road before with 3D? How did that turn out? Failed!!!!!
post #4577 of 4588 Old 02-15-2015, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39
A 4K channel from Comcast? That should be good for a laugh. With the amount of (over-)compression that they use a 4K channel will be a waste of space and time. Better or equal results would be possible by simply increasing the bitrate on their current HD channels.
post #4578 of 4588 Old 02-15-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I had no idea sony was so bad to help any customer that had bought a set from them. Looks to me like sony is good to help the new set buyers for that first year till the set is out of warranty. After that they seem to shun any problems with the set. I will use reports like this to judge which brand I will look at next time I need to buy a set.

This brings back memories of a $2700 Panasonic VT-30 55" plasma set I bought. It had the same great picture as the new Sony W850a set I bought Oct 2013. Actually I preferred the LED side-lit set even more as it has the same deep blacks.

The Pana set lasted only 2-years then would not light up. I called the Pana service people after learning maybe of this same set model number was failing due to a weak spot in the SC circuit pack. I ask the Pana service lady if they had extended their one year service on this set and would fix it or at least send me a new SC board. She acted on the angry side practically shouting, your set only has a one year warranty and she hung up on me. I was also pretty angry when I was talking to her when she first answered. I could not believe a huge quality company would treat a customer like that. That's why bought this great Sony set with the triluminos filters. So it looks like Sony is ok on fixing the sets when they were new for that first year. I would think a refub warranty would be similar other than they don't have any of the same model sets to replace it with. I know of a few that sony gave them a newer set, one was a 70" model to replace a defective refurbished W850a set. This was a few months after July 2014 when they stopped making this set.

Many years ago I had bought a big screen Sony crt hdtv set that was rather expensive. I remember it had a $300 or so rebate. It took them over 6 or more months after many calls and some registered letters for me to receive the rebate. I remember for that set they were others in the forms having similar problems getting their rebates.
sony is not honoring the warranty, sony is cancelling the 5 years warranty that costumers paid upfront. without the contacting the customers. why ? whitesands did you buy the extended warranty ?
post #4579 of 4588 Old 02-15-2015, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

I never bought a extended warranty in my life as I figure it's like paying for repair even before the device breaks.
Well after my problem with the panasonic set I did buy a 5 year extended warranty though amazon. They use two extended warranty services. I choose square trade as they seemed to have some very satisfied customers. They also said if the set can't be fixed in the home they would exchange for another set of the same model. If that model is no longer available they would replace it with another brand of the same screen size if needed. If the customer is not satisfied with that they would offer your full set purchase price back.

That sounds to good to be true and it's been over a year I read this so I could be wrong. I do know that Costco uses square trade and may have only a 4 year ext warranty. I have heard that best buy also had a good ext warranty and is reasonable priced but I don't know who they use.

I paid square trade $236 for the 5 year ext warranty. Back when I bought my set it was like 10% for the extended warranty and buying the set from amazon I had 30 days to decide on the ext warranty or not.

I read that Costco was more forgiving on ordering the ext warranty and I think Best Buy may give up to 60 days to make up your mind.

Well if Sony cancelled the ext warranties on this set they must reimburse you. Sound like you need to talk to some Sony manager but getting past the person that answers the phone may be very hard to do.

When you say you can see the dark area when someone walks across the screen. Just curious but you never said which picture-mode you were using, vivid, standard or custom. I would sure think it would be harder to see with a brighter picture like vivid. You can put the brightness to wherever you want it by moving the backlight setting.
post #4580 of 4588 Old 02-15-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I never bought a extended warranty in my life as I figure it's like paying for repair even before the device breaks.
Well after my problem with the panasonic set I did buy a 5 year extended warranty though amazon. They use two extended warranty services. I choose square trade as they seemed to have some very satisfied customers. They also said if the set can't be fixed in the home they would exchange for another set of the same model. If that model is no longer available they would replace it with another brand of the same screen size if needed. If the customer is not satisfied with that they would offer your full set purchase price back.

That sounds to good to be true and it's been over a year I read this so I could be wrong. I do know that Costco uses square trade and may have only a 4 year ext warranty. I have heard that best buy also had a good ext warranty and is reasonable priced but I don't know who they use.

I paid square trade $236 for the 5 year ext warranty. Back when I bought my set it was like 10% for the extended warranty and buying the set from amazon I had 30 days to decide on the ext warranty or not.

I read that Costco was more forgiving on ordering the ext warranty and I think Best Buy may give up to 60 days to make up your mind.

Well if Sony cancelled the ext warranties on this set they must reimburse you. Sound like you need to talk to some Sony manager but getting past the person that answers the phone may be very hard to do.

When you say you can see the dark area when someone walks across the screen. Just curious but you never said which picture-mode you were using, vivid, standard or custom. I would sure think it would be harder to see with a brighter picture like vivid. You can put the brightness to wherever you want it by moving the backlight setting.
its on standard mode only with light background and when picture is moving from left to right or right to left and when someone one's walking from left to right or right to left.
post #4581 of 4588 Old 02-16-2015, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Customer service in the 21st century has gone the way of the dodo,as in extinct.

It is all about the almighty dollar and how much product they can push out the door,Sony is no different to any other tv manufacturer in that respect,but having said that they would have to try very hard to beat LG Australia for poor customer relations.

I had to threaten LG with a complaint to consumer affairs dept before they would address my issues with one of their sub-standard TV's two years ago,they eventually refunded my money which is how I became a happy 65w850a owner,far superior tv to the LG and no issues.....yet!.
post #4582 of 4588 Old 02-16-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post
Customer service in the 21st century has gone the way of the dodo,as in extinct.

It is all about the almighty dollar and how much product they can push out the door,Sony is no different to any other tv manufacturer in that respect,but having said that they would have to try very hard to beat LG Australia for poor customer relations.

I had to threaten LG with a complaint to consumer affairs dept before they would address my issues with one of their sub-standard TV's two years ago,they eventually refunded my money which is how I became a happy 65w850a owner,far superior tv to the LG and no issues.....yet!.

I agree. Now days its all about the all mighty dollar while quality suffers. Here in the U.S Sony's customer service has gotton worse over the last 2 years. Recently I had to go back and fourth with them over a faulty Sony Blu ray player and the 2 year Warranty extension they didnt want to honor for my W900A tv. I had to fight like hell with them and even threatened a lawsuit before they honored the 2 year warranty and replaced the Blu ray player. Never had problems with them before but now I dont trust their customer service.
post #4583 of 4588 Old 02-16-2015, 02:16 PM

can some one open a thread regarding this sony warrenty and try to save some people of buying sony tv ?
post #4584 of 4588 Unread 02-24-2015, 11:08 AM

Liked: 11
Recently I had to call service for the THIRD time.

The first set was replaced after a week w/ a brand new 'cause of AWFUL white uniformity and a burnt pixel.
The second one was replaced last month 'cause of bright lines on the panel.
This is the THIRD set sony changed under warranty.
This time no new set disposable.... they give me a refurbished one.. WITH SOME HUNDRED HOURS on it.... more or less the same I had on my former one, but those are warranty rules.
As I doesn't like the actual 65" I didn't push to have it instead.

After my "ordeal" I have to say that sony tecnical reliability is a crap !!!!

nice PQ...... when it works...

for shure this is last time I will buy sony products...

Last edited by aceit; 02-24-2015 at 11:11 AM.
post #4585 of 4588 Unread 02-25-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceit View Post
Recently I had to call service for the THIRD time.

The first set was replaced after a week w/ a brand new 'cause of AWFUL white uniformity and a burnt pixel.
The second one was replaced last month 'cause of bright lines on the panel.
This is the THIRD set sony changed under warranty.
This time no new set disposable.... they give me a refurbished one.. WITH SOME HUNDRED HOURS on it.... more or less the same I had on my former one, but those are warranty rules.
As I doesn't like the actual 65" I didn't push to have it instead.

After my "ordeal" I have to say that sony tecnical reliability is a crap !!!!

nice PQ...... when it works...

for shure this is last time I will buy sony products...

This is what I call the "panel lottery" and it indeed sucks! The 65W850A is a great tv with great reviews across the board but at times you will run into issues like the ones your experiencing. It can happen with any tv manufactuer. I went through it a few times with Sony and finally struck gold with my 55W900A. I have had my tv since May of last year and knock on wood it hasnt givin me any issues whats so ever, in fact its one of the best flat screen tv's I've ever owned. That being said Sony's reliability with their tv's has been slipping for a few years now but honestly what manufacturers hasnt? The fast buck is what comes first now days while quality slips and sadly thats the way it is now days and more then likely aint going to change anytime soon.
post #4586 of 4588 Unread Yesterday, 03:46 AM

Liked: 12
Whitesands

Am i right in saying this TV supports "Full" RGB

I ask because i run a PS4 on it, and have the

RGB Range = Full

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Range = Full

Deep Color = Auto

---

When going Settings -> Display -> Video Input Settings -> Dynamic Range

i manually set HDMI 1 (PS4 connected) to "Full"

Im guessing this allows the full 0-255 range?

Any help / confirmation on this would be great, i don't think this question has been asked on this TV as yet
post #4587 of 4588 Unread Today, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your settings for 65w850a

Quote:
Hi Whitesands
Would you mind sending me a pm of your now legendary settings?
I bought the set months ago but because of home renovations have only been using it recently. Many thanks.
post #4588 of 4588 Unread Today, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaonlotr View Post
Whitesands

Am i right in saying this TV supports "Full" RGB

I ask because i run a PS4 on it, and have the

RGB Range = Full

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Range = Full

Deep Color = Auto

---

When going Settings -> Display -> Video Input Settings -> Dynamic Range

i manually set HDMI 1 (PS4 connected) to "Full"

Im guessing this allows the full 0-255 range?

Any help / confirmation on this would be great, i don't think this question has been asked on this TV as yet
Here's a good thread for reference (especially look out for posts by "bd2003"):
PS4 Video Output Talk

Your are safest to set the PS4 to auto for each option and likewise set the TV to auto as well. After that check that everything looks right with contrast and brightness test patterns.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread