Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4591 of 4709 Old 03-07-2015, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post
Here's a good thread for reference (especially look out for posts by "bd2003"):
PS4 Video Output Talk

Your are safest to set the PS4 to auto for each option and likewise set the TV to auto as well. After that check that everything looks right with contrast and brightness test patterns.
Ah yeah, its a good thread

But was more concerned with the TV itself, and its support

Putting the PS4 on AUTO always defaults to limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4709 Old 03-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Sony 65W850a reviews

Whitesands / Users using his settings:

In his settings he mentions " Cnet's Noise Filters to Off settings.

Carefully turn these to Off below on each of the 3 Picture Modes - Vivid, Standard and Custom.

Noise Reduction,

MPEG Noise Reduction,

DOT Noise Reduction,

Video Area Detect,

Smooth Gradation. "

My question is, have most of you turned off these settings? Or did you find leaving them on did not hurt your PQ at all?
Reason I ask, using WS Standard, watching NCAA basketball (on 3 different networks) when they show the plays from the middle of the court, the players don't look as crisp. When they zoom in to a single shot of a player, the picture looks clean and crisp in HD...Also, I find using Neutral color, seems to be a bit too blue with the color....

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.

Last edited by bodean; 03-07-2015 at 12:23 PM.
post #4593 of 4709 Old 03-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Cheffins View Post
Hi Whitesands
Would you mind sending me a pm of your now legendary settings?
I bought the set months ago but because of home renovations have only been using it recently. Many thanks.
I will get my settings to you later today, saturday. I replaced my motherboard and processor and am now up to 4.1 ghz speed. I have not installed the second drive that has my setting on it. Will do that today for sure.

To: Archaonlotr, i'm not a gamer so I can answer your question other than auto may be a good way to go. I do wish I had a PS4 game set if the prices were lower.
post #4594 of 4709 Old 03-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Whitesands / Users using his settings:

In his settings he mentions " Cnet's Noise Filters to Off settings.

Carefully turn these to Off below on each of the 3 Picture Modes - Vivid, Standard and Custom.

Noise Reduction,

MPEG Noise Reduction,

DOT Noise Reduction,

Video Area Detect,

Smooth Gradation. "

My question is, have most of you turned off these settings? Or did you find leaving them on did not hurt your PQ at all?
Reason I ask, using WS Standard, watching NCAA basketball (on 3 different networks) when they show the plays from the middle of the court, the players don't look as crisp. When they zoom in to a single shot of a player, the picture looks clean and crisp in HD...Also, I find using Neutral color, seems to be a bit too blue with the color....
In my settings the noise to off filters came from a Cnet news article on how to improve your picture in 5 easy steps. Same as the filters I listed for this Sony to be turned off. I have seen no less than a fantastic picture.

The natural setting gave me my very best true colors. I should mention some games the colors may be slightly off giving the blue tint you mention. Try some cable news channels where it's live show to compare those colors. Back to the games I see your basketball game pictures looks soft like not a real strong sharp picture HD feed as it should be. This can be your cable provider or the network or the camera setup at the game. They do up-link those games to a satellite and could be they were having bad weather in that area when the game was played. I also see a little herringbone on the court itself. This could also be a cabling problem from you receiver to your set, maybe not fully plugged in and etc. Be sure to use a known good brand (even low priced is ok) of hdmi cables should make for your best picture.

All the long time I been in this group, I had many say this and that about their picture not looking as it should. I would tell them to use a rather recent year old blu ray movie and play it for color, screen tint, sharpness and realism to compare it with.

This Sony, 65W850a and the 55W900a set like Steve has, is two of the very best TV's ever made.

Good luck with your set.

whitesands
steve1971 likes this.
post #4595 of 4709 Old 03-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

This is a earlier scenic still picture I took from my TV. I like the nice colors, deep blacks and great details this picture shows. I found it online and copied it to a usb memory stick then plugged it into the usb port on the left side of the TV. This set enhances the colors using the triluminos color filter and a enhancing circuit which are both in this sets processor. This and the 55" was the first sets Sony used that combined processor on till the 4k sets came out in 2014.

I took this picture using a quality digital camera sitting on a tripod in front of my recliner. The camera was about 6 feet from the screen. You can find many of my screen shots using google images. Type in, avs forums, scenic picture
Not all but many of those are mine. Click to enlarge them, look for the tiny led light and mounting ring below the screen.

steve1971 likes this.
post #4596 of 4709 Old 03-07-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
This is a earlier scenic still picture I took from my TV. I like the nice colors, deep blacks and great details this picture shows. I found it online and copied it to a usb memory stick then plugged it into the usb port on the left side of the TV. This set enhances the colors using the triluminos color filter and a enhancing circuit which are both in this sets processor. This and the 55" was the first sets Sony used that combined processor on till the 4k sets came out in 2014.

I took this picture using a quality digital camera sitting on a tripod in front of my recliner. The camera was about 6 feet from the screen. You can find many of my screen shots using google images. Type in, avs forums, scenic picture
Not all but many of those are mine. Click to enlarge them, look for the tiny led light and mounting ring below the screen.

That pic on your tv is just down right gorgeous WS. And props to you buddy for saying the W850A and W900A are two of the very best tv's ever made. You are so right on that one.
post #4597 of 4709 Old 03-07-2015, 11:24 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
I will get my settings to you later today, saturday. I replaced my motherboard and processor and am now up to 4.1 ghz speed. I have not installed the second drive that has my setting on it. Will do that today for sure.

To: Archaonlotr, i'm not a gamer so I can answer your question other than auto may be a good way to go. I do wish I had a PS4 game set if the prices were lower.

Hi Whitesands
Got your messages and settings...many thanks. Will input them tomorrow. I actually got the set last fall from the Sony retail store in Ottawa ON but have only installed it recently due to a) moving to the west coast and b) major renovations in the house we bought. It was the store's last w850a. The set was new in the box not a demo. Since then, Sony has closed their retail outlets in Canada though the warranties will be honoured and sets serviced by "authorized dealers", whatever that means.
Great picture out of the box (and I was a Panny plasma true believer) so looking forward to adding in your tweaks.
Thanks again!
-Phil
post #4598 of 4709 Old 03-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds good Phil. I bought a $2750 panny set and was a user for two years then one day it would not light up. I found searching google that the VT-30 55" set I had bought was having lots of the same failures called the 7-blinks of death. I called their service dept and the lady in sort of a upset way told me my set only had a years warranty and that had past a year ago. I ask about a grace period by the company for this repeated failure, but was a big No to that. I parked it against the living room wall and read more about plasma burn-in, the picture degrading and lower brightness as the set ages. Being a tech I could replace the known bad SC ckt pack myself for about $200. The plasma's do put out lots of heat and are heavy to move around and use lots more energy than the led sets. My wife said no, lets just by a new set.

Well I sold lots of Sony's back when I was in the TV business and I also owned many of them including their XBR sets. I dug into amazon, ABT, crutchfield, best buy and others trying to find a top rated 65" set.

I think it was Cnet that had a article on a new Sony set coming out in a few months, actually Oct 5th 2013 and would include the new quantum-dot technology. That's the same as Sony's triluminos color feature. Sony had to pay a royalty to the quantum-dot creators for the 900a 55" set. (Jan 2013 release date) So in 2013 for this new 65W850a set sony learned to make the dot filters in screen tall narrow containers and place them over the edge lit leds on both sides. The effect was the same bringing out untold amount of colors that no other color sets had produced. Sony then didn't have to pay any royalties. The article went on telling about how this set included a 2.2 ghz processor fastest ever in any color set at the time. This processor also included a realism circuit, color enhancer and a motionflow circuit. Keeping the ckts together in the same processor makes them much more efficient as the interconnecting leads are near non existent.

I had to wait about 2 1/2 months to get this new set into my living room I was way ahead of the build date which was late Sept 2013. Coming from a plasma I was amazed how great the colors, unreal deep blacks and find detail were on this fantastic set. I wore amazon out calling asking if they had heard anything on their first shipment. My W850a set was shipped from Indianapolis and was the first set amazon had shipped out. The set cost $2698 as the original price was around $2998, retail was like $3298. After owning the set for a few weeks I kept looking at amazons customer reviews and kept seeing all were 5-stars. I also saw a price drop down to $2359.98. I called amazon and they connected me with their price-drop group. They said, not a problem and refunded our credit card the difference of $338.

I have read many 2014 and now early 2015 reviews and only the sony W900a and this W850a sets have a full 5-star ratings. No other TV that I know of can do that to date. Everybody was hoping in 2013 that sony would bring out a similar 65" set with some improvements. That did not happen. Sony decided to go with a wider viewing angle and in doing so the screen they used would not produce the great same deep blacks or vivid colors even though the new set did included their triluminos display.

I have had my set for about a year and half and it works just like new and the picture looks the same after I spent 2 months trying to get my settings down like those I send out. I used to keep count of how many I sent out and stopped counting when it went over 400.

The big enjoyment I get from my set is watching all the pro football games with the picture-mode set to Vivid. The colors and exciting plays, especially on a good outdoor game where it's sunny is my favorite. My other favorite is watching a good blu ray movie also using the vivid setting. As in my settings I usually watch regular TV shows using the picture-mode standard setting.

I should say they were those that didn't seem to have the same great picture when their set was new. They found after using the set and heat flowing though the triluminos filters that their picture then looked great after a few weeks to a months use.

I ask my wife if I could buy another of these sets when the price dropped so low. I was thinking if one set went out I can easily trouble shoot which board and buy a new replacement.

She said, no-way. I know exactly how you are. Marriage sometimes maybe not so good. lol

She kept on, a newer better model with a larger screen. you will want so lets just wait till then. Well i'm slowly looking and so far sony and others at the big CES show in Vegas back around Jan 1st were all pushing their 4K sets. I can't see that much difference in a 4K picture unless im like 3 foot from the screen At a normal 8 to 9 foot viewing distance they look just about the same.

whitesands

Last edited by WhiteSands; 03-10-2015 at 04:12 AM.
post #4599 of 4709 Old 03-08-2015, 12:27 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Sounds good Phil. I bought a $2750 panny user for two years then one day it would not light up. I found online the VT-30 55" set I had bought was having lots of the same 7-blinks of death. I called their service dept and the lady in sort of a upset way told me my set only had a years warranty and that had past a year ago. I ask about a grace period by the company but was a no to that. I parked it against the living room wall and read more about plasma burn-in, the picture degrading and lower brightness as the set ages. Being a tech I could replace the known bad SC ckt pack myself for about $200. My wife said no, lets by a newer set.

Well I sold lots of sony's when I was in business and also owned many of them including their XBR sets. I dug in to amazon, ABT, crutchfield, best buy and others trying to find a top rated 65" set. I think it was Cnet that had a article on a new Sony set coming out in a few months and would include the new quantum-dot technology. That's the same as Sony's triluminos color feature. Sony had to pay a royalty to the quantum-dot creators for the 900a 55" set. So in 2013 for this W850a new 65" set sony learned to make the dot filters in tall narrow containers and place them over the edge lit leds on both sides. The effect was the same and they did not have to pay any royalties. The article went on telling about how this set include a 2.2 ghz processor fasted ever in any color set at the time. This processor included a realism circuit, color enhancer and a motionflow circuit.

I had to wait about 2 1/2 months to get this new set into my living room. Coming from a plasma I was amazed how great the colors, deep blacks and find detail was on this set. I wore amazon out calling asking if they had heard anything on their first shipment. My set was shipped from Indianapolis and was the first set amazon shipped out. My set cost $2698 as the original price was around $2998, retail was like $3298. After owning the set for a few weeks I kept looking at amazons customer reviews and kept seeing all were 5-stars. I also saw a price drop of $338 down to $2359.98. I called amazon and they connected me with their price drop group. They said no problem and refunded our credit card the difference.

I have read may 2014 and now 2015 reviews and only the sony W900a and this W850a sets have a 5-star ratings. No other TV that I know of can do that to date. Everybody was hoping in 2014 and many held off hoping sony would bring out a similar 65" set with some improvements. No sony decided to go with a wider viewing angle and in doing so the screen they used would not produce the great same deep blacks or vivid colors even though the new set did included their triluminos display.

I have had my set for right at a year and half and it works just like new and the picture looks the same after I spent 2 months trying to get my settings down like those I send out. I used to keep count of how many I sent out and stopped counting when it went over 400.

The big enjoyment I get from my set is watching all the pro football games. The colors exciting plays especially on a good outdoor game where it's sunny is my favorite. My other favorite is watching a good blu ray movie.

I ask my wife if I could buy another of these sets when the price dropped so low. She says no, I know how you are. A newer better model with a larger screen you will want so lets just wait till then. Well i'm slowly looking and so far sony and others at the big CES show in Vegas back around Jan 1st were all pushing their 4K sets. I can't see that much difference in a 4K picture unless im like 3 foot from the screen At normal 8 to 9 foot viewing distance they look just about the same.

whitesands

Great story Whitesands...and I have to agree with you about the picture quality 100%. Even the Sony salesman said his 2014's couldn't compare unless I went to 4k. Can't see it...ie why bother spending the extra money with so little programming available? how often will you watch "House of Cards" on Netflix?
The field of view isn't an issue since it's normally just my wife and I looking straight on. I have an older Samsung in the family room in front of a sofa if there are more people.
Thanks again for sending the settings and happy continued viewing!
post #4600 of 4709 Old 03-08-2015, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I tried a Samsung 60 inch 4k 8550 tv in dec and long story short we took it back and put our w850a right back up. I have been looking at the new oled's from lg and I may end up picking one up since they are def one of the best looking tvs out right now but cant complain about the w850a to much.
post #4601 of 4709 Old 03-09-2015, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sounds good Phil. I bought a $2750 panny set and was a user for two years then one day it would not light up. I found searching google that the VT-30 55" set I had bought was having lots of the same failures called the 7-blinks of death. I called their service dept and the lady in sort of a upset way told me my set only had a years warranty and that had past a year ago. I ask about a grace period by the company for this repeated failure, but was a big No to that. I parked it against the living room wall and read more about plasma burn-in, the picture degrading and lower brightness as the set ages. Being a tech I could replace the known bad SC ckt pack myself for about $200. The plasma's do put out lots of heat and are heavy to move around and use lots more energy than the led sets. My wife said no, lets just by a new set.

Well I sold lots of Sony's back when I was in the TV business and I also owned many of them including their XBR sets. I dug into amazon, ABT, crutchfield, best buy and others trying to find a top rated 65" set.

I think it was Cnet that had a article on a new Sony set coming out in a few months, actually Oct 5th 2013 and would include the new quantum-dot technology. That's the same as Sony's triluminos color feature. Sony had to pay a royalty to the quantum-dot creators for the 900a 55" set. (Jan 2013 release date) So in 2013 for this new 65W850a set sony learned to make the dot filters in screen tall narrow containers and place them over the edge lit leds on both sides. The effect was the same bringing out untold amount of colors that no other color sets had produced. Sony then didn't have to pay any royalties. The article went on telling about how this set included a 2.2 ghz processor fastest ever in any color set at the time. This processor also included a realism circuit, color enhancer and a motionflow circuit. Keeping the ckts together in the same processor makes them much more efficient as the interconnecting leads are near non existent.

I had to wait about 2 1/2 months to get this new set into my living room I was way ahead of the build date which was late Sept 2013. Coming from a plasma I was amazed how great the colors, unreal deep blacks and find detail were on this fantastic set. I wore amazon out calling asking if they had heard anything on their first shipment. My W850a set was shipped from Indianapolis and was the first set amazon had shipped out. The set cost $2698 as the original price was around $2998, retail was like $3298. After owning the set for a few weeks I kept looking at amazons customer reviews and kept seeing all were 5-stars. I also saw a price drop down to $2359.98. I called amazon and they connected me with their price-drop group. They said, not a problem and refunded our credit card the difference of $338.

I have read many 2014 and now early 2015 reviews and only the sony W900a and this W850a sets have a full 5-star ratings. No other TV that I know of can do that to date. Everybody was hoping in 2013 that sony would bring out a similar 65" set with some improvements. That did not happen. Sony decided to go with a wider viewing angle and in doing so the screen they used would not produce the great same deep blacks or vivid colors even though the new set did included their triluminos display.

I have had my set for about a year and half and it works just like new and the picture looks the same after I spent 2 months trying to get my settings down like those I send out. I used to keep count of how many I sent out and stopped counting when it went over 400.

The big enjoyment I get from my set is watching all the pro football games. The colors exciting plays especially on a good outdoor game where it's sunny is my favorite. My other favorite is watching a good blu ray movie.

I should say they were those that didn't seem to have the same great picture when their set was new. They found after using the set and heat flowing though the triluminos filters that their picture then looked great after a few weeks to a months use.

I ask my wife if I could buy another of these sets when the price dropped so low. I was thinking if one set went out I can easily trouble shoot which board and buy a new replacement.

She said, no-way. I know exactly how you are. Marriage sometimes maybe not so good. lol

She kept on, a newer better model with a larger screen. you will want so lets just wait till then. Well i'm slowly looking and so far sony and others at the big CES show in Vegas back around Jan 1st were all pushing their 4K sets. I can't see that much difference in a 4K picture unless im like 3 foot from the screen At a normal 8 to 9 foot viewing distance they look just about the same.

whitesands

Well said about the W850 and W900A WS. In my opinion they were the best yet from Sony and I didnt see anything in 2014 that matched them and I have yet to see anything from 2015 to match them either, at least not yet anyway. 4K? Not for me unless its being watched on a projection system which I may well go for down the road. OLED? When the prices drop maybe. Otherwise I can and will stick with my W900A for quite a long time with no complaints at all. I think the biggest compliment I have seen givin to the W900A is how close it comes to OLED PQ. To me that says alot in a nutshell.
post #4602 of 4709 Old 03-10-2015, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post
I tried a Samsung 60 inch 4k 8550 tv in dec and long story short we took it back and put our w850a right back up. I have been looking at the new oled's from lg and I may end up picking one up since they are def one of the best looking tvs out right now but cant complain about the w850a to much.
You must be rich. The LG's I looked online at a 65" oled screen costing $3799 and another deluxe set for $9999. The curved screen oled was $4412. I didn't take any time to compare these sets. I wonder if the oled prices will ever come down. Makes one wonder after all this time of oled research if set prices may come up with a new equally as good different method of picture reproduction that would cost lots less.

Remember the power robbing 3-gun rca method of color CRT picture production. Well about 10 years later Sony came out with their perfected Trinitron TV that used a low amp single gun color CRT for even a much improved picture. Sony kept perfecting their sets and for a few hundred more you could but their best picture ever, XBR set. Many don't know but Sony made their XBR sets in a CRT model for about 20 years till they started making the thin panel sets that later went all digital. Sony was using the XBR name for their 4K sets. I don't know if they dropped the XBR name or not.

Like I said, this W850a is a killer set especially for the price. I wish Sony would still make this set at a reduced price. No doubt this set sold so many over a few years i'm sure it hurt their 4K sales.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 03-10-2015 at 04:35 AM.
post #4603 of 4709 Old 03-10-2015, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Well said about the W850 and W900A WS. In my opinion they were the best yet from Sony and I didnt see anything in 2014 that matched them and I have yet to see anything from 2015 to match them either, at least not yet anyway. 4K? Not for me unless its being watched on a projection system which I may well go for down the road. OLED? When the prices drop maybe. Otherwise I can and will stick with my W900A for quite a long time with no complaints at all. I think the biggest compliment I have seen givin to the W900A is how close it comes to OLED PQ. To me that says alot in a nutshell.
I may someday look into a projection TV if it's like a affordable 4K quality bright picture. I would miss the deep blacks unless you use a special screen that may oppose the bright whites next to the blacks. it would be fun to watch a pro football game on a 125" or larger widescreen.
post #4604 of 4709 Old 03-10-2015, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

If any of you W850A owners need proof of just how good your tv is just watch the Pirates of the Caribbean movies on Blu ray. These are reference quality Blu ray movies that will show you just how good your W850A was and still is today. I played them on the W850A's little brother as I call it my 55W900A and the experience was nothing short of jaw dropping. The PQ and detail is just unreal.
post #4605 of 4709 Old 03-10-2015, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I may someday look into a projection TV if it's like a affordable 4K quality bright picture. I would miss the deep blacks unless you use a special screen that may oppose the bright whites next to the blacks. it would be fun to watch a pro football game on a 125" or larger widescreen.
I'm with you.... My viewing distance is about 15', and a 65" display seems a little small from that distance. I'd like to get my feet wet with a HW55, and run it against an inexpensive screen. Use the television when ambient light is a concern, and take the plunge on a black diamond & anamorphic lens when 4k projectors become more affordable. Bottom line, I don't see myself investing in a 4k television while my viewing distance is so far away.
steve1971 likes this.

I drink my whiskey clear.
post #4606 of 4709 Old 03-11-2015, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
No whitesands not rich bud but you can get the LG 55EC9300 for around $2500 on some sites I looked at but would rather go with at least 60-65 inch tv. I am going to best buy with a movie to try it out on a oled and if the black levels etc looks as good as advertised I think I will pull the trigger on a lg 9300.
post #4607 of 4709 Old 03-12-2015, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Hello Guys I do have a chance to buy last one Brand new never open box Sony KDL65W850A for $1900. I know from what I read it is excellent tv. So go with this one or get newer models like KDL65W950B ( also 1080p) or Sony XBR65X850B (4K). How newer models compare to KDL65W850A?
Thanks

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-7II's , RC-64II , RB-81II's , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #4608 of 4709 Old 03-13-2015, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Hello Guys I do have a chance to buy last one Brand new never open box Sony KDL65W850A for $1900. I know from what I read it is excellent tv. So go with this one or get newer models like KDL65W950B ( also 1080p) or Sony XBR65X850B (4K). How newer models compare to KDL65W850A?
Thanks
That seems like a good price other than ABT (chicago) had 190 of them a few months before Sony stopped making this set. ABT was selling them then for $1498 with free shipping. Fry's Electronics also had a nice stock of these sets selling them for about the same price. As the sets stock was near out they lowered the prices to $1398 best I can remember. This was happening May, June 2014. I never will forget ABT selling their stock of 190 sets out in 2 months.

Walmart in old mexico had a special sale on this set months after it was not manufactured anymore. Walmart was selling the set for like $1298 sometimes including a extended warranty.
Sony sold some refurbished models of this set for around $1298 and would include a $99 blu ray player or sometimes a extended warranty.

I doubt I would by a Sony set new unless it included the triluminos color feature and would know for sure the sets picture had the same deep blacks as the W850a set has. Sony was not very loud in the Jan 2015 CES show in Vegas this year on any 1080p sets. All they talked about was their 4K sets, was the same type talk from Samsung and LG.

I don't see where all these TV companies act like 1080p is washed up. The 4K trend may be somewhat better but to me I will not buy a 4k set till the networks actually transmits a 4K signal all the time.

Back to your question, which model to buy. If the W850A set had a problem with the screen, you would have to give up the set. It's to costly for Sony to replace a panel that may no longer be available. The KDL65W950B is a pretty good set and some say my settings will work for it also. The W950B though does not include the triluminos filter and some say the colors and deep blacks are somewhat lacking but the 950B does have a wider viewing angle than the W850A set.

The W950B set came out during the summer of 2014. I don't know other than what I read about the XBR65X850B (4K) set. Playing a 4K blu ray disk the picture some say in the reviews is outstanding. I don't know the price of a 4K player but I bet it's costly. I was looking at amazon on some of these 4K sets. Place your mouse over the stars and it will give you a list of how may are 5-stars vs 3 and 1-stars. This is a good way to evaluate a set including how many customer reports their were vs the release date for the set if you look around on the page enough.

This XBR65X850B set shows to be released for sale on March 21, 2014 and it does include the triluminos feature. I read this set upscales all 1080p content to a 4K picture. The customer reviews on this set looks promising with a lots of 4 and 5-star customer reviews. Best Buy is another good seller to deal with that try their very best to keep their customer happy with the sets they buy from them. Their extended warranty price is reasonable from what I have read here in these forums.

Good luck with your set purchase.
post #4609 of 4709 Old 03-13-2015, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
That seems like a good price other than ABT (chicago) had 190 of them a few months before Sony stopped making this set. ABT was selling them then for $1498 with free shipping. Fry's Electronics also had a nice stock of these sets selling them for about the same price. As the sets stock was near out they lowered the prices to $1398 best I can remember. This was happening May, June 2014. I never will forget ABT selling their stock of 190 sets out in 2 months.

Walmart in old mexico had a special sale on this set months after it was not manufactured anymore. Walmart was selling the set for like $1298 sometimes including a extended warranty.
Sony sold some refurbished models of this set for around $1298 and would include a $99 blu ray player or sometimes a extended warranty.

I doubt I would by a Sony set new unless it included the triluminos color feature and would know for sure the sets picture had the same deep blacks as the W850a set has. Sony was not very loud in the Jan 2015 CES show in Vegas this year on any 1080p sets. All they talked about was their 4K sets, was the same type talk from Samsung and LG.

I don't see where all these TV companies act like 1080p is washed up. The 4K trend may be somewhat better but to me I will not buy a 4k set till the networks actually transmits a 4K signal all the time.

Back to your question, which model to buy. If the W850A set had a problem with the screen, you would have to give up the set. It's to costly for Sony to replace a panel that may no longer be available. The KDL65W950B is a pretty good set and some say my settings will work for it also. The W950B though does not include the triluminos filter and some say the colors and deep blacks are somewhat lacking but the 950B does have a wider viewing angle than the W850A set.

The W950B set came out during the summer of 2014. I don't know other than what I read about the XBR65X850B (4K) set. Playing a 4K blu ray disk the picture some say in the reviews is outstanding. I don't know the price of a 4K player but I bet it's costly. I was looking at amazon on some of these 4K sets. Place your mouse over the stars and it will give you a list of how may are 5-stars vs 3 and 1-stars. This is a good way to evaluate a set including how many customer reports their were vs the release date for the set if you look around on the page enough.

This XBR65X850B set shows to be released for sale on March 21, 2014 and it does include the triluminos feature. I read this set upscales all 1080p content to a 4K picture. The customer reviews on this set looks promising with a lots of 4 and 5-star customer reviews. Best Buy is another good seller to deal with that try their very best to keep their customer happy with the sets they buy from them. Their extended warranty price is reasonable from what I have read here in these forums.

Good luck with your set purchase.
Thank you for fast response. I like W850A and I did read many reviews including Amazon ones. Some people on Amazon have issue with defects TV's but do you think it happened offten? Maybe I should give it a try. I know about sale before for refurbished models W850A from Sony web but back then I still had Sony KDF60XS955 so I really did not pull trigger at that time and I was very pleased with picture quality really never even get any picture issues like those flat screen have in those days. Now my TV has been sold ( from Yesterday) and now I have for my 7.2 Klipsch HT system temporary 26" old Samsung flat screen. I'm also not sure about getting now 4K model. Comcast still able do only 720p and Blue-Ray movies looks already amazing on 1080p. My old Sony was 720P so W850A will be a nice upgrade even if is 1080p. Really only future what I'm looking for is perfect picture. It is nice to have smart tv with streaming options but it is also available with any Blue-Ray player ( in my case PS3) and I also have Mac mini next to TV so really smart options are not what I'm looking for. I bought for my customer KDL55W900A and it have excellent picture I still have to use you calibration to get the best out if it but still even now amazing TV. Just screen size was problem for me. my old TV was 60" but with speakers on side ( what I never used) so it looks like 70" all together so 65" is smallest I will go now.
So w950B does have Triluminos LED display so it doesnt have some filter? Sorry just not sure what you saying here.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-7II's , RC-64II , RB-81II's , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #4610 of 4709 Old 03-13-2015, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Whitesands,
Could you PM me your latest 65w850a TV settings.

Thanks
post #4611 of 4709 Old 03-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Thank you for fast response. I like W850A and I did read many reviews including Amazon ones. Some people on Amazon have issue with defects TV's but do you think it happened offten? Maybe I should give it a try. I know about sale before for refurbished models W850A from Sony web but back then I still had Sony KDF60XS955 so I really did not pull trigger at that time and I was very pleased with picture quality really never even get any picture issues like those flat screen have in those days. Now my TV has been sold ( from Yesterday) and now I have for my 7.2 Klipsch HT system temporary 26" old Samsung flat screen. I'm also not sure about getting now 4K model. Comcast still able do only 720p and Blue-Ray movies looks already amazing on 1080p. My old Sony was 720P so W850A will be a nice upgrade even if is 1080p. Really only future what I'm looking for is perfect picture. It is nice to have smart tv with streaming options but it is also available with any Blue-Ray player ( in my case PS3) and I also have Mac mini next to TV so really smart options are not what I'm looking for. I bought for my customer KDL55W900A and it have excellent picture I still have to use you calibration to get the best out if it but still even now amazing TV. Just screen size was problem for me. my old TV was 60" but with speakers on side ( what I never used) so it looks like 70" all together so 65" is smallest I will go now.
So w950B does have Triluminos LED display so it doesnt have some filter? Sorry just not sure what you saying here.
Ok the W950b is a 65" set that does include the triluminos filters. Some were disappointed as this set's screen (panel) use a wider angle and in doing so lost some of the deeper blacks and the colors were not as strong as the W850B. The problem with buying the W850A would have been if it went out can they still get replacement circuit boards to fix it. Also if you receive the set and the screen was not perfect the selling company would not have another W850A set to replace it with.

I have had some tell me they like their W950B sets guessing after using my settings. Sony in 2014 also had a pretty good selling 70W850B set. Most say they really like the color the 70" set makes.

The Sony 55W900A their 55" set had one of the very best pictures you could get on a TV at the time which was January 2013 when it first came out. I still don't understand why sony still don't make sets with this type of picture quality anymore.
steve1971 likes this.
post #4612 of 4709 Old 03-13-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok the W950b is a 65" set that does include the triluminos filters. Some were disappointed as this set's screen (panel) use a wider angle and in doing so lost some of the deeper blacks and the colors were not as strong as the W850B. The problem with buying the W850A would have been if it went out can they still get replacement circuit boards to fix it. Also if you receive the set and the screen was not perfect the selling company would not have another W850A set to replace it with.

I have had some tell me they like their W950B sets guessing after using my settings. Sony in 2014 also had a pretty good selling 70W850B set. Most say they really like the color the 70" set makes.

The Sony 55W900A their 55" set had one of the very best pictures you could get on a TV at the time which was January 2013 when it first came out. I still don't understand why sony still don't make sets with this type of picture quality anymore.

WS the W950B was supposed to be the set that replaced the W900A and it didnt even come close. Black levels and contrast were below average and it didnt have the Quantom Dot tech that made the W900A and the X900A so beautiful PQ wise. And the reason why Sony still dont make sets as good as ours anymore? Simple....the quick buck is better then top notch quality.
post #4613 of 4709 Old 03-14-2015, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Is it safe to update TV to firmware PKG4.510AAA? Thought I would ask before updating.

Basement
Samsung 51" PN51D7000 | Mede8er MED600X3D | Roku 3 | Panasonic BDT110 | 30TB+ ZFS
Denon AVR-2113CI | Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR | Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE | PSA XV15
Living Room
Sony 65" KDL65W850A | Mede8er MED600X3D | Wii
Denon AVR-X1000 | JBL Studio 530 | JBL Studio 520C | Outlaw LFM-1 EX
post #4614 of 4709 Old 03-14-2015, 01:45 PM

Also, I am using this set with a Logitech Harmony 700. Everything works great except for one issue. Occasionally when first turning on the TV via random activity, the Audio comes from the TV itself instead of through the Denon X1000 receiver to external speakers.

To correct this, I mapped the Sync button in which you can select "Output to external speakers", then everything works. However, on the Harmony when I press the mapped sync button, the menu comes up but I cannot navigate the menu. I have to change modes to the Sony TV remote and then I an select the menu. Pretty annoying, is there a way to do this automatically? Perhaps a macro? Example: Hit Sync Button mapped button > remote goes in to Sony TV remote mode so that I can navigate menu > Select "Output to external speakers" > close menu then go back to controlling the default for that activity.

Appreciate any feedback!

Basement
Samsung 51" PN51D7000 | Mede8er MED600X3D | Roku 3 | Panasonic BDT110 | 30TB+ ZFS
Denon AVR-2113CI | Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR | Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE | PSA XV15
Living Room
post #4615 of 4709 Old 03-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post
Is it safe to update TV to firmware PKG4.510AAA? Thought I would ask before updating.
No problems here. But IIRC this firmware update is for the "apps" only, and I don't use those.
post #4616 of 4709 Old 03-14-2015, 07:25 PM

Thanks! I use netflix and youtube app all the time. Will wait for more responses before updating.

Basement
Living Room
post #4617 of 4709 Old 03-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Also, I am using this set with a Logitech Harmony 700. Everything works great except for one issue. Occasionally when first turning on the TV via random activity, the Audio comes from the TV itself instead of through the Denon X1000 receiver to external speakers.

To correct this, I mapped the Sync button in which you can select "Output to external speakers", then everything works. However, on the Harmony when I press the mapped sync button, the menu comes up but I cannot navigate the menu. I have to change modes to the Sony TV remote and then I an select the menu. Pretty annoying, is there a way to do this automatically? Perhaps a macro? Example: Hit Sync Button mapped button > remote goes in to Sony TV remote mode so that I can navigate menu > Select "Output to external speakers" > close menu then go back to controlling the default for that activity.

Appreciate any feedback!
Make sure you have the TV option on Sound or Audio, TV speakers, off. I found that listed on the Sound option page. This prevented the slight echo I was getting with my Yamaha setup.
post #4618 of 4709 Old 03-15-2015, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

When did this come out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #4619 of 4709 Old 03-15-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
When did this come out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First week of Feb 2015. I just updated and thoroughly tested netflix, youtube, amazon and hulu. All is working smoothly.

I am tweaking my Harmony 700 for smart tv features so went thru main apps and deleted some clutter shortcuts that are useless on touchscreen of remote.

Basement
Living Room
post #4620 of 4709 Old 03-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
First week of Feb 2015. I just updated and thoroughly tested netflix, youtube, amazon and hulu. All is working smoothly.

I am tweaking my Harmony 700 for smart tv features so went thru main apps and deleted some clutter shortcuts that are useless on touchscreen of remote.
Just a note, I enjoy watching the many music videos on youtube. Also some the older but great movies like, Lust for Gold, the one with the new white screen on youtube works. My problem was I could get the TV and blu ray audio though my new Yamaha sound system, but I couldn't get the Sony's youtube and other apps to work other then playing the audio though the TV speakers.

I connecting a optical cable to the optial audio out to the yamaha input. Still no sound, the next dry I tried pressing the keypad numbers on the Yamaha remote. It was #4 button when the youtube audio with a full screen picture sound came on, fantastic and from youtube.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread - Xbr65x850a by PriceGrabber.com