Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 155 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4621 of 4636 Old 03-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Should SBM be on or off ? Can't find a definitive answer.

Also, I notice the sports ticker on sportscenter, doesn't scroll smoothly across the bottom. Kind of jitters. What setting would cause this? I also recently set my Denon receiver to i/p scalar 1080p (24Hz) opposed to 1080p.
I don't know what SBM is. Most sony options have a reset to you can set each group of options back to the factory default. This is set is known to set auto switch to 24hz if needed. I watch all kinds of movies with no problem at all.

About the sports ticker, to prevent it other that seldom jerking is by setting the motion flow to Off. Do this on each of the 3 picture-modes.

This is interesting below on the 24hz subject from CNet 2013.

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-1080p24/
WhiteSands is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4622 of 4636 Old 03-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
velvet396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Mr. Whitesands -
The settings you have provided continue to be great for night-time viewing.

However I am at times wishing to view the TV with a pesky light on or mid-day and it has to compete with skylights that illuminate the rear/opposite wall. So on dark content I easily see the room.

Even though it's a matte screen it still reflects a well-lit room.

I'm wondering if there are "bright-viewing" settings that would work well, retaining some blacks and accurate color.

The eco auto-light sensor setting that enables great blacks I think maybe limits the light output too much in these situations.
velvet396 is offline  
post #4623 of 4636 Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet396 View Post
Mr. Whitesands -
The settings you have provided continue to be great for night-time viewing.

However I am at times wishing to view the TV with a pesky light on or mid-day and it has to compete with skylights that illuminate the rear/opposite wall. So on dark content I easily see the room.

Even though it's a matte screen it still reflects a well-lit room.

I'm wondering if there are "bright-viewing" settings that would work well, retaining some blacks and accurate color.

The eco auto-light sensor setting that enables great blacks I think maybe limits the light output too much in these situations.
Try leaving the auto-light sensor as is. I can't remember if I sent you my settings or not. Check to see if Vivid's backlight is set to Max. If not move it up should get the job done.

This is the way the set is from the factory and is to bright for night viewing. This is why in my settings I back the backlight down to 7. You might try 8 or 9 to get a balance for your brighter than normal daylight viewing. This set when on Vivid without any changes had the brightest picture I had ever seen. It hurt my eyes at night and was the reason I spent a good two months on perfecting my settings. If you don't have them, let me know.

You might try clicking on the reset on vivid which will bring it back to the factory default. This way the brightness, color level will match the Max backlight setting which i'm almost sure is default for this set.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 03-26-2015 at 01:10 AM.
WhiteSands is offline  
post #4624 of 4636 Old 03-20-2015, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Last night I turned my TV on to watch a blu ray movie. It looked on the dark size and with a tan tint. I looked and is only offered me cinema 1 and 2. What the is going on here. After doing some looking around I found the Scene Selection was set to Auto (24 fps) I set it back to General and then the Vivid, Standard and Custom all showed back up with my settings as I had left them. I thought maybe some quick Sony update that I had somehow overlooked. This happening was kind of spooky if you ask me.
steve1971 likes this.
WhiteSands is offline  
post #4625 of 4636 Old 03-21-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,200
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Last night I turned my TV on to watch a blu ray movie. It looked on the dark size and with a tan tint. I looked and is only offered me cinema 1 and 2. What the is going on here. After doing some looking around I found the Scene Selection was set to Auto (24 fps) I set it back to General and then the Vivid, Standard and Custom all showed back up with my settings as I had left them. I thought maybe some quick Sony update that I had somehow overlooked. This happening was kind of spooky if you ask me.

Maybe you hit a button on the remote WS when you turned the tv off and thats why it did what it did. I know I have been guilty of that from time to time on my W900A. Thats why I dont touch the tv remote anymore!
steve1971 is offline  
post #4626 of 4636 Old 03-22-2015, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Maybe you hit a button on the remote WS when you turned the tv off and thats why it did what it did. I know I have been guilty of that from time to time on my W900A. Thats why I dont touch the tv remote anymore!
It was probably my wife, she grips a lot about me having 5 remotes on the table next to my recliner and each of the remotes buttons are hard to figure out. Actually the Sony and Yamaha and Dish remotes is all she needs to learn. She never plays any blu rays but enjoys watching a good movie with me. Some of the others are the media light remote that illuminate the wall behind the TV. I also have a hdmi switcher remote going to the other sets around the house.
steve1971 likes this.
WhiteSands is offline  
post #4627 of 4636 Old 03-23-2015, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Should SBM be on or off ? Can't find a definitive answer.

Also, I notice the sports ticker on sportscenter, doesn't scroll smoothly across the bottom. Kind of jitters. What setting would cause this? I also recently set my Denon receiver to i/p scalar 1080p (24Hz) opposed to 1080p.
About the set's ability to auto-switch to 24hz when needed.

About the scroll, the best me and others here have found is to set the motionflow to Off. Maybe not perfect but it works best to eliminate the ticker jerking.

Here is my sets default SMB setting:

Home, Picture and Display / Pro Picture Setup

SBM is set to On
WhiteSands is offline  
post #4628 of 4636 Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post
Is it safe to update TV to firmware PKG4.510AAA? Thought I would ask before updating.
I don't matter you will have to do the update to watch your TV. I don't think their is a way to pass up any of the Sony updates. My set is the fist to come out for sale. I have had about 15 or so updates since. I do know some simply added lots more apps.

Their was a Sony support page that told what each update did, but you had to wait for days or up to a week for the infomation. I stopped looking them up and I simply do the updates as my set receives them.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 03-24-2015 at 12:10 PM.
WhiteSands is offline  
post #4629 of 4636 Old 03-24-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,200
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
I don't matter you will have to do the update to watch your TV. I don't think their is a way to pass up any of the Sony updates. My set is the fist to come out for sale. I have had about 15 or so updates since. I do know some simply added lots more apps.

Their was a Sony support page that told what each update did but you had to wait for days or up to a week to find out. I stopped looking and do them as my set receives them.

Same here WS. I have had my W9 since May of last year and have updated it every time Sony has sent an update out and I have had zero issues. I find that most of the updates are app related except for one which updated my W9 to HDMI 2.0.
steve1971 is offline  
post #4630 of 4636 Old 03-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I need some help. i get these ugly vertical bars on the side of the tv about 5 wide if not longer where the color is just wrong and off putting. Usually most visible in dark scenes but i can see them most times be it regular tv sports games whatever.

Is the tv defective or is it normal for this model? it really bugs me. Can i get rid of it using settings or should i return it.

Huzar is offline  
post #4631 of 4636 Old 03-26-2015, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
I need some help. i get these ugly vertical bars on the side of the tv about 5 wide if not longer where the color is just wrong and off putting. Usually most visible in dark scenes but i can see them most times be it regular tv sports games whatever.

Is the tv defective or is it normal for this model? it really bugs me. Can i get rid of it using settings or should i return it.
Your picture is so dark it's hard to see the outline of the TV itself. I finally made it out and the picture on the screen looks like a gun-site while play a game. One thing I can't stand is seeing the blue sides in the picture where a dark area should be.

First take you Sony remote and on the top row of 4 buttons you will see a Wide button. Press it once noting where it was set. Then press it a few more times to see if it will open the picture and fill the screen. If this is a game set, the games remote or options should also have a wide adjustment. The TV wide adjustment is for the TV itself, movie, blu rays and etc. Any game set should be adjusted for it's own wide or screen size adjustment.

I forget where I keep mine set, I think it's set to Full or maybe Normal which fills the screen correctly when watching TV or when playing any blu ray movies.

About the blue sides on these dark scenes. Are you using my settings? On dark games if that's what this is using Standard may be better then Vivid as Standard don't have as deep as blacks or should a say a little less contrast.

You can try the adjustments like on Vivid, by adjusting the brightness (down) to see if that clears up those blue areas. I personally think this is simply adjustments. Remember if you mess up any options, then on each picture-mode like Vivid it offers you a Reset option at the top of the list.

Their is a full-set reset you can do to make it back to factory just like the set came out of the box. You would then have to go though the 10 steps to get a picture. Remember, english, usa, add digital channels and etc. Sony customer service can walk you though these settings.

You mentioned exchanging this 65W850A set. This set came out new in October 2013. These sets are very hard to come by as they stopped making them in July 2014. On exchange I have seen some go for a 2014 model set instead. Sony does make a 65X850A 4K set that makes a fantastic picture and upscales 1080p to a 4K picture. Play a 4K disk and you blown away at the picture quality. The problem is the X version set is costing around $2498 recently. It's the same set as the 65W850A with the exception of added 4K circuitry and a the costly 4K screen.

Being curious what picture-mode did you use when taking your picture. The screen looks rather dark in the picture with the darkened room which does help to show up the blue sides in your screen shot. Outside the picture frame it should be black if the picture is smaller than to fit the full screen. This may be due to some option on the game set, if you using one. Does the screen show a full pictures when watching a DVD or blu ray movie or movies like on HBO.

Here below are some pictures some owners took from a scene in the Hobbit movie. I found on my set about a year ago that I could duplicate this same problem when the brightness option is set to high which causes color bleed (blue) in the dark areas.

This set will do that as the blue colors come from the blue ultra bright leds used to make the screen illuminate. The other colors are from the triluminos filters which passes these blue led colors though to the screen as needed to make up the picture. The triluminos filter strips are mounted on each side of the screen from top to bottom and so are the edge-lit leds. It's simple to see why if the brightness it set to high the blu leds being brighter overtake the dark shadows showing the blue bleeding usually on each side of the screen as shown in your picture.

Ok we battled this out back around maybe march 2014 over this particular scene from the Hobbit movie. It took me hours to find the 3 or 4 scenes one fellow shot from his TV screen showing a similar problem to yours. I had bought the movie so I took my time hunting the various frames.

In these pictures it looks like the brightness is so high you can see that shadow man sitting at the left end of the table. It's a close up silhouette shot from mostly the man's right side.

The bottom picture is from the same scene with my adjustments. You can see the shadow man's face outline with the set adjusted properly. The camera angles moving around allowed you to see the man sitting their but he was mostly in the dark due to the scene actually being done in candle light only.

In scenes like this vivid makes the darks to dark and the brights to white, so I use standard instead in these dark scenes or dark movies.

The second picture from the top is the fellow in the forms that complained of the blues in the dark areas on his screen. I sent him my adjustments, but I don't remember him replying back if that fixed his picture problem on dark scenes.

I will be looking forward to see if this information helps.



steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 03-26-2015 at 01:16 AM.
WhiteSands is offline  
post #4632 of 4636 Old 03-26-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,200
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Your picture is so dark it's hard to see the outline of the TV itself. I finally made it out and the picture on the screen looks like a gun-site while play a game. One thing I can't stand is seeing the blue sides in the picture where a dark area should be.

First take you Sony remote and on the top row of 4 buttons you will see a Wide button. Press it once noting where it was set. Then press it a few more times to see if it will open the picture and fill the screen. If this is a game set, the games remote or options should also have a wide adjustment. The TV wide adjustment is for the TV itself, movie, blu rays and etc. Any game set should be adjusted for it's own wide or screen size adjustment.

I forget where I keep mine set, I think it's set to Full or maybe Normal which fills the screen correctly when watching TV or when playing any blu ray movies.

About the blue sides on these dark scenes. Are you using my settings? On dark games if that's what this is using Standard may be better then Vivid as Standard don't have as deep as blacks or should a say a little less contrast.

You can try the adjustments like on Vivid, by adjusting the brightness (down) to see if that clears up those blue areas. I personally think this is simply adjustments. Remember if you mess up any options, then on each picture-mode like Vivid it offers you a Reset option at the top of the list.

Their is a full-set reset you can do to make it back to factory just like the set came out of the box. You would then have to go though the 10 steps to get a picture. Remember, english, usa, add digital channels and etc. Sony customer service can walk you though these settings.

You mentioned exchanging this 65W850A set. This set came out new in October 2013. These sets are very hard to come by as they stopped making them in July 2014. On exchange I have seen some go for a 2014 model set instead. Sony does make a 65X850A 4K set that makes a fantastic picture and upscales 1080p to a 4K picture. Play a 4K disk and you blown away at the picture quality. The problem is the X version set is costing around $2498 recently. It's the same set as the 65W850A with the exception of added 4K circuitry and a the costly 4K screen.

Being curious what picture-mode did you use when taking your picture. The screen looks rather dark in the picture with the darkened room which does help to show up the blue sides in your screen shot. Outside the picture frame it should be black if the picture is smaller than to fit the full screen. This may be due to some option on the game set, if you using one. Does the screen show a full pictures when watching a DVD or blu ray movie or movies like on HBO.

Here below are some pictures some owners took from a scene in the Hobbit movie. I found on my set about a year ago that I could duplicate this same problem when the brightness option is set to high which causes color bleed (blue) in the dark areas.

This set will do that as the blue colors come from the blue ultra bright leds used to make the screen illuminate. The other colors are from the triluminos filters which passes these blue led colors though to the screen as needed to make up the picture. The triluminos filter strips are mounted on each side of the screen from top to bottom and so are the edge-lit leds. It's simple to see why if the brightness it set to high the blu leds being brighter overtake the dark shadows showing the blue bleeding usually on each side of the screen as shown in your picture.

Ok we battled this out back around maybe march 2014 over this particular scene from the Hobbit movie. It took me hours to find the 3 or 4 scenes one fellow shot from his TV screen showing a similar problem to yours. I had bought the movie so I took my time hunting the various frames.

In these pictures it looks like the brightness is so high you can see that shadow man sitting at the left end of the table. It's a close up silhouette shot from mostly the man's right side.

The bottom picture is from the same scene with my adjustments. You can see the shadow man's face outline with the set adjusted properly. The camera angles moving around allowed you to see the man sitting their but he was mostly in the dark due to the scene actually being done in candle light only.

In scenes like this vivid makes the darks to dark and the brights to white, so I use standard instead in these dark scenes or dark movies.

The second picture from the top is the fellow in the forms that complained of the blues in the dark areas on his screen. I sent him my adjustments, but I don't remember him replying back if that fixed his picture problem on dark scenes.

I will be looking forward to see if this information helps.




My wife and I watched the Hobbit for the very first time last night on our W9 WS and thank god no Blue Bleed as I call it! When people experience that issue it has to be because of what their settings are set at. Your adjustments if followed should fix it if other owners are experiencing it. That being said the Hobbit is a beautifully filmed movie.
steve1971 is offline  
post #4633 of 4636 Old 03-26-2015, 11:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey i just did the few changes, did a considerable difference.

Much better before those sides just screamed and ruined the watching experience, now mostly i not notice it.
steve1971 likes this.
Huzar is offline  
post #4634 of 4636 Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
Hey i just did the few changes, did a considerable difference.

Much better before those sides just screamed and ruined the watching experience, now mostly do not notice it.
I'm glad to hear the adjustments helped clear up the problem.
steve1971 likes this.
WhiteSands is offline  
post #4635 of 4636 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
bodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 27
WS have you ever had to do a full-set reset on the set? Do you know the steps off hand for reference?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
bodean is offline  
post #4636 of 4636 Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
WS have you ever had to do a full-set reset on the set? Do you know the steps off hand for reference?
I tried to write them down as the Sony tech was walking me though the steps. I wills send them to you to see if that helps.
WhiteSands is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off