Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 156 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 349Likes
post #4651 of 4653 Old 04-25-2015, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 444
It may be a good thing you passed up any plasma set. I lost a two year old panasonic VT-30 a 55" plasma that originally cost me $2800. Pana refused to fix it a year past warranty as many others were having this same exact failure. It was caused by one or two of the 8 or so screws holding the SC board to ground being slightly loose due to the heating and cooling off of the set. This caused a slight spark knocking out some components. Plasma's do run on the hot side and they use twice the power of a LED set of the same year set. I parked it even though I could get a replacement SC board including new improved screws for about $240. I worried all the time I used it, worrying about screen burn in and when running it in the vivid mode when watching a blu ray movie or pro football game.

I bought this 65" Sony set as months earlier the tech sites were excited to see Sony coming out with a 65" set with a killer picture. Bright vivid colors due to the triluminos filters which gives this set numerous colors over the standard 3 color red, green and blue method. This W850a set uses a special panel made by Samsung that produces the deepest blacks I have ever seen.
To me they look just as black as the plasma set I had. You may have read earlier where I mentioned this set was designed from the X850a Sony set which is a 4K set. This is how this set ended up with a 2.2ghz quad processor, first ever in a 1080p set in 2013.

Sony blew away the competition back in the CRT days when they came out with their single gun CRT. The Sony picture was not only brighter with added contrast, they also had improved the colors and contrast over all the tri-gun color sets of that same era.

Yes it would have been nice to receive some commission on helping them sell many of these sets. I did alright with Sony in the old days. I will include that info when I send you my settings.

The perfect picture of the OLED sets may stay high priced for a good while in the 65 inch or larger screen sizes. The 4K set in the larger screen sizes should be more affordable in the next few years as 4K content should become more available. I don't know how long or what it would cost for the networks to convert to 4K transmission. Can you imagine watching pro football games with a 4K network feed from directly from the stadium.

This is some of whats new with Sony..

http://www.techspot.com/news/60410-s...an-iphone.html

WS

Last edited by WhiteSands; 04-25-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4653 Old 04-25-2015, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks a bunch WhiteSands for the settings. I have an older 50" Panny and a few year old 42" LG (not sure why I bought it... lol). So far so good with the two of them, fingers crossed. Too bad to hear about the VT, I have read a lot of good things with the latter Panny releases. Just apparently not their reliability, I thought Panny was a good company with Plasmas... Who thunk?

I look forward to messing with the monster Sony... Biggest TV so far I have owned. The picture is amazing on this thing. I look forward as well to what these companies will bring out. It's nice to see so much competition in this area. Keeps the innovation moving forward at a fast past, great for us consumers...

I appreciate the time you have put into tweaking the settings and letting us enjoy them as well. Keep up the good work.
post #4653 of 4653 Unread Today, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
It may be a good thing you passed up any plasma set. I lost a two year old panasonic VT-30 a 55" plasma that originally cost me $2800. Pana refused to fix it a year past warranty as many others were having this same exact failure. It was caused by one or two of the 8 or so screws holding the SC board to ground being slightly loose due to the heating and cooling off of the set. This caused a slight spark knocking out some components. Plasma's do run on the hot side and they use twice the power of a LED set of the same year set. I parked it even though I could get a replacement SC board including new improved screws for about $240. I worried all the time I used it, worrying about screen burn in and when running it in the vivid mode when watching a blu ray movie or pro football game.

I bought this 65" Sony set as months earlier the tech sites were excited to see Sony coming out with a 65" set with a killer picture. Bright vivid colors due to the triluminos filters which gives this set numerous colors over the standard 3 color red, green and blue method. This W850a set uses a special panel made by Samsung that produces the deepest blacks I have ever seen.
To me they look just as black as the plasma set I had. You may have read earlier where I mentioned this set was designed from the X850a Sony set which is a 4K set. This is how this set ended up with a 2.2ghz quad processor, first ever in a 1080p set in 2013.

Sony blew away the competition back in the CRT days when they came out with their single gun CRT. The Sony picture was not only brighter with added contrast, they also had improved the colors and contrast over all the tri-gun color sets of that same era.

Yes it would have been nice to receive some commission on helping them sell many of these sets. I did alright with Sony in the old days. I will include that info when I send you my settings.

The perfect picture of the OLED sets may stay high priced for a good while in the 65 inch or larger screen sizes. The 4K set in the larger screen sizes should be more affordable in the next few years as 4K content should become more available. I don't know how long or what it would cost for the networks to convert to 4K transmission. Can you imagine watching pro football games with a 4K network feed from directly from the stadium.

This is some of whats new with Sony..

http://www.techspot.com/news/60410-s...an-iphone.html

WS

WS 4K is not all whats its cracked up to be my friend. I find it over blown and I will take my W900A over any current 4K tv anyday. Now if your talkin OLED then thats a whole other subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page