Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4681 of 4750 Old 06-22-2015, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post
Is there a way to revert firmware to an older version?
Anyone care to chime in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4750 Old 06-25-2015, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Is there a way to revert firmware to an older version?
Not that I know of. Why do you want to do this?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #4683 of 4750 Old 06-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonmind View Post

To clarify further, I want to achieve the most realistic picture possible, and achieving that on this particular display also means dealing with a few of the display's shortcomings; the blue clouding you've seen (or as someone more aptly named it, blue-bleed), and vertical banding -- which is more severe in scenes with fast moving images, white backgrounds, etc. I've posted my settings early on in the thread using Rec 709 calibration software, and went back shortly thereafter achieving a more subjective calibration using the Disney WOW Blu-ray. Both resulted in great, but far less than perfect PQ.
were you happy with your settings? Do you have a direct link to them?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #4684 of 4750 Old 06-25-2015, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
were you happy with your settings? Do you have a direct link to them?
I was, very happy. I struggle with backlighting; I live in Florida and have massive windows in the front of my house, large french doors going out to our pool area in the back, and a huge open floor plan in the living room -- the sun just dominates the room most of the day, so during daytime viewing I will sometimes crank backlighting up to 6-7. The other settings have remained the same for about a year. (I pop in my Disney WOW Bluray and my Rec calibration software once every few months, and things have remained consistent).

Here is what I'm using now:

Movies/Blu-Rays

Scene Select : Standard

Backlight: 3

Picture: Max

Brightness: 47

Color: 55/57

Hue: 0

Color Temp: Warm 2 (this may seem difficult to swallow at first, but give it time, trust me)

Sharpness: 40

N.R: Off

MPEG: Off

Dot N.R: Off

Reality Creation: Manual

Video A.D: Off

Resolution: 30

Noise Filtering: Min

Smooth Gradation: Off

Motionflow: TrueCinema

CineMotion: Off

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector: Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off

Gamma: -2

LED D.C: Standard

Auto Light Limiter: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Color: Off

Detail Enhancer: Off

Skin Nat: Off

For Playstation 4, Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Xbox One Settings:

Scene Select : Game

Picture Mode: Game-Standard

Backlight: 4

Picture: 90

Brightness: 47

Color: 55

Color Temp: Warm 2

Advanced Settings

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off

Live Color: Off

Detail Enhancer: Off

For Wii and Wii U settings:

Scene Select : Game

Picture Mode: Game-Standard

Backlight: 5

Picture: Max

Brightness: 49

Color: 55

Color Temp: Warm 2

Advanced Settings

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Low

Live Color: Low

Detail Enhancer: Medium

Edge Enhancer: Low

post #4685 of 4750 Old 06-25-2015, 07:38 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Not that I know of. Why do you want to do this?
It seems like Netflix app on Amazon FireTV has issues.
It stutters a lot, DD+ doesn't seem to work over TV's HDMI passthrough to the A/V.

I also run WMC 7 with Cable Card to this TV. Live TV Video stutters on it.

I noticed all these issues after installing the latest firmware on the TV. I was hoping if I could go back to previous version and do some analysis.
post #4686 of 4750 Old 06-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It stutters a lot, DD+ doesn't seem to work over TV's HDMI passthrough to the A/V.

I noticed all these issues after installing the latest firmware on the TV. I was hoping if I could go back to previous version and do some analysis.
A new FW just came out in the last 24hrs. Try installing it to see if it fixes your issue. I am not sure what the update fixes, but it was presented to me this morning with an update box.

post #4687 of 4750 Old 06-30-2015, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just read the whole thread and would love some feedback.
I have the opportunity to get a 65w950b or a 65w850c
I don't do much gaming, mostly netflix, and movies.

Would love to hear some suggestions.

Cheers!
post #4688 of 4750 Old 07-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Farra View Post

Cheers!
I hope you have not decided just yet. I compared the two sets using Amazon's customer reviews. The 65W850C set got medium to poor reviews from 6 people. Check out the 3-star reviews on this set tells the story. This is a 2015 model set, but seems to have issues.

The 65W950B first became available in May 11, 2014. This set shows to have 66 reviews. The 5-star reviews show a whopping 75% which is excellent for any TV at around $1625.

I think this slightly older 65W950B 1080p set would make a great buy.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 07-02-2015 at 03:10 PM.
post #4689 of 4750 Old 07-04-2015, 04:32 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:

Cheers!
Joe,

I have the KDL65W950B set. I picked it up in May of this year. This is a great TV. I am very pleased with the picture quality. After just a few adjustments, the picture looks amazing. With my room dimensions, it made no sense to get a 4K TV and that is what Sony is pushing. This 2014 TV is better than the 2015s I looked at and am very pleased with my decision.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #4690 of 4750 Old 07-04-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:

i have this same problem with new updates... netflix is not watchable at all..it plays little in 280 signal instead 1080i what the fk sony did ????

post #4691 of 4750 Old 07-05-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony2014 View Post
i have this same problem with new updates... netflix is not watchable at all..it plays little in 280 signal instead 1080i what the fk sony did ????

i just contact sony support and they are not even aware of this. sony tech wants me to do the factory reset but i deny it... so they are checking there updates that what cause this issues.
post #4692 of 4750 Old 07-05-2015, 04:05 PM

hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
I hope you have not decided just yet. I compared the two sets using Amazon's customer reviews. The 65W850C set got medium to poor reviews from 6 people. Check out the 3-star reviews on this set tells the story. This is a 2015 model set, but seems to have issues.

The 65W950B first became available in May 11, 2014. This set shows to have 66 reviews. The 5-star reviews show a whopping 75% which is excellent for any TV at around $1625.

hello whitesands can you please take a picture of GUI. (on the remote press HOME and then take a picture of that screen .

Thank you
post #4693 of 4750 Old 07-07-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdelta View Post
Joe,

I have the KDL65W950B set. I picked it up in May of this year. This is a great TV. I am very pleased with the picture quality. After just a few adjustments, the picture looks amazing. With my room dimensions, it made no sense to get a 4K TV and that is what Sony is pushing. This 2014 TV is better than the 2015s I looked at and am very pleased with my decision.
check the green color ? its off on this model ......
post #4694 of 4750 Old 07-08-2015, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Ok WhiteSands, you seem like you are in the best position to give a good look at this TV and help us pull the trigger. Coming from plasma will be very interesting - the VT60 is next on my list behind the W850a, but I'm very weary about plasma.

btw, do you game on your TV?

Anyway, I feel I might be looking forward to you receiving your TV as much as you are.

I gamed around 2005 using a CD and never gamed on the TV. Stay away from any plasma set. I got burned two years after buying a VT-30 set. Pana had a problem of some circuit board grounding screws slightly loosening up. Once they arc the board goes bad. Price is about $400 to $500 to have it serviced. It was out of warranty so I simply parked the set. I constantly worried about the plasma burn in and it going dim over the years of use. This was my reason for buying this fantastic 65W850A set by Sony.

My guess is you already know the W850A is a great gaming TV. The 65W950A a 2014 set might be worth looking at. I doubt their are any new 2013 W850A sets for sale anymore. The new sets are shown at the big CES show in Vegas around the first week of the year. The sets shown are usually not available till many months later. My guess we will be looking at few new 1080p sets as their heavily pushing the slightly more vivid 4K models.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 07-08-2015 at 12:42 AM.
post #4695 of 4750 Old 07-08-2015, 04:12 AM

Liked: 1
Thanks for all the tips. This TV is awesome. Do you know if there are any alternative stands for this TV? I have a built-cabinet where this fits into but when I want to pull the TV as close as possible to the edge, the front half of the circle stand sticks out way over the edge of the cabinet. Thanks for you insights!
WhiteSands likes this.
post #4696 of 4750 Old 07-08-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:

Cheers!

Joe I would go with the 65w950b. That is the model that replaced my beloved w900a. At first I didnt really care for the w950b but after I saw it at a freinds house and how he had everything finely tuned or calibrated it looked very very nice. Black levels still arent as good as my w900a but as far as PQ is concerned they are close. The w850c is not getting good reviews as WS said and it dont have Triluminous Color which is a must in my opinion. So I say go with the w950b.

Quote:

Well said WS.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #4697 of 4750 Old 07-09-2015, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Sony2014 for waking me up to located the GUI pictures you requested. I checked the photobucket where I stored about 100 of my scenic screen shots for this TV. So I go to photobucket and it won't take my login anymore. Then I read that they may have dumped me for no activity in the last 2 years.

So I wonder how PB still shows about 20 to 25 of those same screen shots when I type, avs forums, whitesands scenic into google images. Those picture still look great full size.
post #4698 of 4750 Old 07-09-2015, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 213005966 View Post
Thanks for all the tips. This TV is awesome. Do you know if there are any alternative stands for this TV? I have a built-cabinet where this fits into but when I want to pull the TV as close as possible to the edge, the front half of the circle stand sticks out way over the edge of the cabinet. Thanks for you insights!
My comments here i'm sure is not the same type cabinet you have. I would be careful with the ring sticking out over the front. You might want to attach a small cable from the cabinet to the center area of the back of the set.

I got 30 years experience repairing TV before I retired. A big mistake was the customers wives wanting to stick a (used to be) hot table model TV with tubes into a cabinet because it looked nice. Well their TV went out 2 or 3 times more often due to the trapped heat.

I also used to own some of the enclosed cabinets although I did remove the support cardboard backs for extra cooling. I replaced the back by using a X run of small twisted misc. steel wire. I would wrap each wire end around a screw in each of the 4 corner edges of the back of the cabinet. Pulling the wires tight works as good as the cardboard and then the TV ran much cooler.

Once the flat screens came out I switched to the table-top type cabinets. My favorite flat top cabinet I call em came from walmart, although I did have to order it. It's 59" wide so the big 65" Sony set hangs over a inch or so on each side making the screen look larger than it is. The cabinet is black and stands about 24" high from the living room floor. This one has the two stacked pull out storage drawers in the center of the cabinet. Both ends are open including a divider shelf. This makes it easy to put your satellite or cable receiver in one end and the DVD blu ray player and surround sound in the other. I never installed any cardboard that comes with the cabinet. I watch TV in rather dim light anyway so I never notice any light showing though behind the equipment from the wall. I think this one cost about $199 a few years ago. I'm proud to see my big screen TV sitting on a flat top table where it runs nice and cool. I did pull the Sony TV ring stand out just to the front edge of the cabinet to shorten the viewing distance by a foot.

I really love this TV..
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 07-09-2015 at 02:18 PM.
post #4699 of 4750 Old 07-11-2015, 11:34 AM

Hello everyone! Im new to the forum but not to owning the 65w850a. I've had the tv for over a year now and have never been really happy with the picture. I searched calibration settings and it brought me here. Whitesands, if they're still available would you PLEASE dm me your settings so I can see if that works? I would greatly appreciate the help and advice. Thanks so much...
post #4700 of 4750 Old 07-11-2015, 06:00 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom33 View Post
Hello everyone! Im new to the forum but not to owning the 65w850a. I've had the tv for over a year now and have never been really happy with the picture. I searched calibration settings and it brought me here. Whitesands, if they're still available would you PLEASE dm me your settings so I can see if that works? I would greatly appreciate the help and advice. Thanks so much...
your not happy? I have had 65w850 for two years and the PQ still blows me away compared to the newer sets out there on the market.
steve1971 likes this.
post #4701 of 4750 Old 07-12-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post
your not happy? I have had 65w850 for two years and the PQ still blows me away compared to the newer sets out there on the market.

Agreed. Alot of the newer sets, 4K included, dont come close to the w850 or the w900a for that matter in black levels, contrast or PQ. In my opinion both sets were the best ever made by Sony in the last 3 years.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #4702 of 4750 Old 07-13-2015, 04:07 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Agreed. Alot of the newer sets, 4K included, dont come close to the w850 or the w900a for that matter in black levels, contrast or PQ. In my opinion both sets were the best ever made by Sony in the last 3 years.
only a pity they did not make the 900A in 65" it was even better than the 850
post #4703 of 4750 Old 07-13-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post
only a pity they did not make the 900A in 65" it was even better than the 850

Yea asdetail, Sony dropped the ball on that one by not making a 65inch model of the W900A. Why they didnt is still a mystery to me. I'm just glad I was able to get the 55inch W900A when I could because its been a fabulouse tv in every sense of the word.
post #4704 of 4750 Old 07-15-2015, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If off axis viewing terrible for you guys as well? It starts to get washed out at about a 45 degree angle for me.
post #4705 of 4750 Old 07-15-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroundTheTV View Post
If off axis viewing terrible for you guys as well? It starts to get washed out at about a 45 degree angle for me.
Not so good off axis viewing is an LCD flaw and thats something thats always been an issue that is unless you have a tv that rotates on its stand such as the W900A.
post #4706 of 4750 Old 07-16-2015, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Not so good off axis viewing is an LCD flaw and thats something thats always been an issue that is unless you have a tv that rotates on its stand such as the W900A.
True, but I've been to a few stores lately and some of the LCD TV's I've seen don't exhibit as much wash out as this one. Have they just gotten better over time?
post #4707 of 4750 Old 07-16-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroundTheTV View Post
True, but I've been to a few stores lately and some of the LCD TV's I've seen don't exhibit as much wash out as this one. Have they just gotten better over time?

Manufactueres have tried working on it and I'm sure they have gotton better. I know on my W900A the off angle viewing is pretty good, not plasma, but pretty good and maybe its because of the panel Sony used. The panel used in the w850a is not the same one used in the w900a by the way and that could be the reason for the different viewing angle issue. I havent had the chance to check out the new tv's because honestly I aint interested. Pretty much everything is now 4K with the few 1080p tv's taking a backseat and I aint the slight bit interested in 4K.
post #4708 of 4750 Old 07-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks Sony2014 for waking me up to located the GUI pictures you requested. I checked the photobucket where I stored about 100 of my scenic screen shots for this TV. So I go to photobucket and it won't take my login anymore. Then I read that they may have dumped me for no activity in the last 2 years.

So I wonder how PB still shows about 20 to 25 of those same screen shots when I type, avs forums, whitesands scenic into google images. Those picture still look great full size.
Can you please send me your settings? Thank you very much & I hope that you have a good day.
post #4709 of 4750 Old 07-21-2015, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm looking for a good blu ray player for this tv I no oppo is the best but what's popular with everyone in this thread I was looking at the Sony bdp s6500 does anyone have any experience or better recommendation I'll only be using it for movies I'll use my Xbox for streaming services thank you in advance
post #4710 of 4750 Old 07-22-2015, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungHeat View Post
I'm looking for a good blu ray player for this tv I no oppo is the best but what's popular with everyone in this thread I was looking at the Sony BDP S6500 does anyone have any experience or better recommendation I'll only be using it for movies I'll use my Xbox for streaming services thank you in advance
This model player must be a good choice. The price is reasonable and this is a new player that's only been out for 2 months. To me the newer the player the better. This would mean it would have a lower priced but faster processor to be used to enhance a DVD to look almost as good as a blu ray disk. The faster processor will load a blu ray disk quicker to where the picture is on the screen. I have a rather expensive panasonic player that's very similar. I bought it like 4 years ago but it was very costly back then at $350.

That's progress with this new Sony player that should perform even better than my player for lots less money.

My method of shopping is by looking at the 5-star percentage and 3-star customer reviews on the Amazon site to help determine which is the best item to buy.

Did you know the KDL-65W850A and the KDL-55W900A Sony Triluminos sets were the only two TV sets I can remember that had a all 5-star rating.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 07-22-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread - Xbr65x850a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page