Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4711 of 4726 Old 07-22-2015, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungHeat View Post
I'm looking for a good blu ray player for this tv I no oppo is the best but what's popular with everyone in this thread I was looking at the Sony BDP S6500 does anyone have any experience or better recommendation I'll only be using it for movies I'll use my Xbox for streaming services thank you in advance
This model player must be a good choice. The price is reasonable and this is a new player that's only been out for 2 months. To me the newer the player the better. This would mean it would have a lower priced but faster processor to be used to enhance a DVD to look almost as good as a blu ray disk. The faster processor will load a blu ray disk quicker to where the picture is on the screen. I have a rather expensive panasonic player that's very similar. I bought it like 4 years ago but it was very costly back then at $350.

That's progress with this new Sony player that should perform even better than my player for lots less money.

My method of shopping is by looking at the 5-star percentage and 3-star customer reviews on the Amazon site to help determine which is the best item to buy.

Did you know the KDL-65W850A and the KDL-55W900A Sony Triluminos sets were the only two TV sets I can remember that had a all 5-star rating.
Thank you for your help and yes I did no this tv was one of 2 that had 5 star rating I researched for a long time and after the praise from everyone on here I new there was no other option than to get this beauty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 4726 Old 07-22-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungHeat View Post
I'm looking for a good blu ray player for this tv I no oppo is the best but what's popular with everyone in this thread I was looking at the Sony bdp s6500 does anyone have any experience or better recommendation I'll only be using it for movies I'll use my Xbox for streaming services thank you in advance

From personal experience I had nothing but issues with my 6500 from disc freezups to it not wanting to connect to the internet. It was a headache so I went out and bought the new BDP-S5500. This little player does pretty much everything the 6500 does except for 4K upscaleing and dont have the dual core processor. But disc loading times are fast, streaming is excellent, I have zero issues playing Blus or dvds and it hooks up to my internet and stays there! Video playback on my w900a is excellent and its a combo of both the tv and the player itself. You might want to give it a look if your looking for a good, solid all around Blu ray player.
post #4713 of 4726 Old 07-22-2015, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I saw mixed reviews on Amazon about the 6500 looks like the 5500 got a lot of better reviews I was also considering the 7200 any experience with the 7200?
post #4714 of 4726 Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post
Hope you all are enjoying this amazing TV.

The recent update is causing choppy/jittery playback on WMC Live TV/recorded TV and Amazon FireTV.
65W850's Netflix app runs without any problems.
Also, XBMC/Kodi plays fine, probably because I have enabled "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" on it.

Has anyone noticed this on theirs?

Thanks in advance.
Got a chance to test the choppyness again, with latest firmware installed.

60Hz plays choppy.
24Hz plays perfect.

I tested this using Kodi.

Since Chromecast, FireTV do not have 24Hz playback setting, everything plays choppy on this TV now.

Anyone willing to do a similar test?
post #4715 of 4726 Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I have a FireTV. Is there any specific test material from Netflix or Amazon Prime that demonstrates this choppiness?
post #4716 of 4726 Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
I have a FireTV. Is there any specific test material from Netflix or Amazon Prime that demonstrates this choppiness?
Planet Earth on Netflix has many flyover scenes.
No choppyness when using TV's Netflix app.

Play episode 2, from around 29:17 mark where eagles are flying. Lots of background scrolling while camera is focused on the eagles.
post #4717 of 4726 Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Planet Earth on Netflix has many flyover scenes.
No choppyness when using TV's Netflix app.

Play episode 2, from around 29:17 mark where eagles are flying. Lots of background scrolling while camera is focused on the eagles.
I see lots of complaints of un-smooth Netflix playback via the Fire TV. It's not limited to Sony TVs.
post #4718 of 4726 Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I see lots of complaints of un-smooth Netflix playback via the Fire TV. It's not limited to Sony TVs.
I have another FireTV connected to a Pioneer PRO-101FD Plasma TV. No choppiness on it.

As I said in my previous post, I did another test that did not involve Netflix.

Quote:
Got a chance to test the choppyness again, with latest firmware installed.

60Hz plays choppy.
24Hz plays perfect.

I tested this using Kodi.

Since Chromecast, FireTV do not have 24Hz playback setting, everything plays choppy on this TV now.

Anyone willing to do a similar test?
post #4719 of 4726 Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Right. Nevertheless, there are documented issues with Netflix playback on the FireTV that span multiple brands of TVs (but maybe not all). This does not seem to be a 65W850A issue.

If you're seeing problems also with a Chromecast or with recorded TV content then there would appear to be a second issue. I can say only that I haven't noticed anything with my 65W850A other than occasional choppiness with Netflix via the FireTV (I don't use WMC or Chromecast).
post #4720 of 4726 Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Right. Nevertheless, ...
Right. Nevertheless, you haven't tested Kodi with 60Hz and 24Hz playback so, not helping much.

Anyone else care to try Kodi with 60Hz, 24Hz playback and report back?
post #4721 of 4726 Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

I've viewed both 60Hz and 24p (23.976Hz) content through Kodi running on an Intel NUC (recently it's been more of the former than the latter). Haven't noticed any problems. Perhaps others can comment on their experiences.

Last edited by skriefal; Yesterday at 10:28 PM.
post #4722 of 4726 Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I've viewed both 60Hz and 24p (23.976Hz) content through Kodi running on an Intel NUC (recently it's been more of the former than the latter). Haven't noticed any problems. Perhaps others can comment on their experiences.
Thank you.

However, I'm talking about playing content with "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" option on in kodi.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos#Playback

When on, it forces the display's refresh rate to 24hz when 24fps video is played, otherwise it uses whatever refresh rate is set by the OS which usually is 60hz.

If you could try it that would be great.
post #4723 of 4726 Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

That option is enabled. Doesn't everyone use that?
post #4724 of 4726 Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

Good good, now if you turn it off does the playback become choppy?
post #4725 of 4726 Old Today, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Good good, now if you turn it off does the playback become choppy?
Nope. I do run the signal through a Yamaha RX-A2040 A/V receiver, but it's set to "Through" so that it doesn't process the video.
post #4726 of 4726 Old Today, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony2014 View Post
i have this same problem with new updates... netflix is not watchable at all..it plays little in 280 signal instead 1080i what the fk sony did ????

Yikes! Ever get this issue resolved? What firmware version are you on? Debating if I should bother updating my firmware since you two having issues with netflix. I am currently on firmware 510AAA.

Basement
Samsung 51" PN51D7000 | Mede8er MED600X3D | Roku 3 | Panasonic BDT110 | 30TB+ ZFS
Denon AVR-2113CI | Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR | Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE | PSA XV15
Living Room
Sony 65" KDL65W850A | Mede8er MED600X3D | Wii
Denon AVR-X1000 | JBL Studio 530 | JBL Studio 520C | Outlaw LFM-1 EX
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread - Xbr65x850a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page