Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 313Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 4365 Old 12-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 425
My TV is still looking great. I had to pause the picture to get this shot of the coach. It was so dark in my living room I missed the left side of the TV, but not by much. If you look close you may see a slight hint of vignetting on the right side of the screen. I will wait till mid January and do the ice rub again and that that should remove it for good.. It was raining and heavy overcast other then the stadium lights and may be why the picture is a little darker than usual.

WhiteSands is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 4365 Old 12-23-2013, 05:14 AM
Newbie
 
allando2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'll try again:

Hi owners. What about the viewing angles? We are 5 family members. My sofa is 3,30 meters wide, and I sit 3,25 meters from the TV. Would that be a problem? I hope you can help me, with my question...Kind regards Allan Jorgensen

 

 

allando2 is offline  
post #453 of 4365 Old 12-23-2013, 05:24 AM
Member
 
redevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by allando2 View Post
 

I'll try again:

Hi owners. What about the viewing angles? We are 5 family members. My sofa is 3,30 meters wide, and I sit 3,25 meters from the TV. Would that be a problem? I hope you can help me, with my question...Kind regards Allan Jorgensen

 

 

 

Viewing angles are fine for me and my family. I sit between 10-15 ft from the TV and have sat on all angles in the room. Looks really good to me. 


Video: Sony KDL65-W850A LED TV, PS3 Blu-ray player 

Audio: Sony HT-SS2000 HTIB (Boo, I know!)

redevil is offline  
post #454 of 4365 Old 12-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Newbie
 
allando2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redevil View Post
 

Viewing angles are fine for me and my family. I sit between 10-15 ft from the TV and have sat on all angles in the room. Looks really good to me. 


...thanks very much....

allando2 is offline  
post #455 of 4365 Old 12-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Member
 
JackBurton1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by allando2 View Post
 

I'll try again:

Hi owners. What about the viewing angles? We are 5 family members. My sofa is 3,30 meters wide, and I sit 3,25 meters from the TV. Would that be a problem? I hope you can help me, with my question...Kind regards Allan Jorgensen

 

 

 

You should be fine with that arrangement.  The picture won't look as good from the far ends of your couch but the w850a is very good for an LCD at off angle viewing.  They still aren't as good as plasma but that's a trade-off I'll gladly take not to have massive image retention issues like I had with my plasma TV's.

JackBurton1986 is offline  
post #456 of 4365 Old 12-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
joeskie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mtl
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by allando2 View Post

I'll try again:
Hi owners. What about the viewing angles? We are 5 family members. My sofa is 3,30 meters wide, and I sit 3,25 meters from the TV. Would that be a problem? I hope you can help me, with my question...Kind regards Allan Jorgensen


Yep should be fine. At harsh angles the colors wash up a bit but not enough to bother me (Even when i'm watching from the kitchen)
joeskie is offline  
post #457 of 4365 Old 12-24-2013, 04:20 AM
Member
 
riceboii911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i bought the 65" version. I came from a samsung un55b7000 (55" tv) and am not that impressed with the new sony tv. It just doesnt pop and isnt as sharp as the samsung. Are there some recommended settings? For me, i really like bright colors amd sharp images, is it not possible with this set? I must say the deep blacks are impressive though
riceboii911 is offline  
post #458 of 4365 Old 12-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Member
 
JackBurton1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboii911 View Post

So i bought the 65" version. I came from a samsung un55b7000 (55" tv) and am not that impressed with the new sony tv. It just doesnt pop and isnt as sharp as the samsung. Are there some recommended settings? For me, i really like bright colors amd sharp images, is it not possible with this set? I must say the deep blacks are impressive though

It may just be that you're used to Samsung LCD brightness levels and color saturation.  There is a vivid setting on the Sony that you could use to try to emulate Samsung.  I personally don't like that setting but you might.  Where you're coming from Samsung LCD I was coming from a Panasonic plasma TV to the w850a.  What drew me to the Sony was the deep colors, more natural brightness, and black levels which to me looked closer to a nice plasma TV than most of the LCD's sets I had seen.  I once had a 60" Samsung (UN6000EH or something like that?).  It was so bright that when watching at night time I'd get eye fatigue within a couple hours of viewing.  When I tried turning down the backlighting it lost a lot of detailing and definition. So I could definitely see how if you're used to watching a Samsung with their super bright, super saturated color settings that the Sony may look more muted to you.  The part about a lack of definition sounds odd though, I never noticed a lack of detail and definition in the w850a unless compared to something like a high-end plasma set or a 4K showing true 4K content.

 

Ultimately, you probably just prefer the Samsung colors and brightness and there may be nothing you can do to the Sony to get it to duplicate that.  If that's the case you may want to check out the Samsung F8000.  Personal preference is important.  I prefer the Sony because I think it looks more life-like with a larger color palette than the Samsungs (thanks in part to the Triluminous display).  To me most Samsungs have a cartoonish, fake look to them and poor motion handling ability.  With the exception being their F8500 plasma set which is excellent on all levels but is plasma which has it's own set of issues primarily image retention.

JackBurton1986 is offline  
post #459 of 4365 Old 12-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Member
 
riceboii911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Jack Burton for giving me the feedback, it is very possible I am so used to Samsung and their very bright displays. I did try the vivid setting and it still wasn't as bright as I'm used to so that most likely is the reason. Also, what I noticed was that for blu rays, when i changed to vivid, the background got grainy so I had to change back to cinema mode.

OH, I have a question that I hope you guys can help me with. when watching a channel through antenna in HD, I would notice horizontal lines briefly each time the scene changed. Is that normal or could it be that I have a bad set or the source is just not good? I don't see that problem when watching blu rays though.

Thanks guys.
riceboii911 is offline  
post #460 of 4365 Old 12-24-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,639
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboii911 View Post

OH, I have a question that I hope you guys can help me with. when watching a channel through antenna in HD, I would notice horizontal lines briefly each time the scene changed. Is that normal or could it be that I have a bad set or the source is just not good? I don't see that problem when watching blu rays though.

Does it look like this?



If so, that's a result of a 1080i source.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
DaverJ is online now  
post #461 of 4365 Old 12-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Member
 
riceboii911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The horizontl lines aren't as obvious as that pic you posted since it is more subtle but perhaps it is due to the source as you say. When i click on the display button, it does show the source as being 720p though.
riceboii911 is offline  
post #462 of 4365 Old 12-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Member
 
JackBurton1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboii911 View Post

Thanks Jack Burton for giving me the feedback, it is very possible I am so used to Samsung and their very bright displays. I did try the vivid setting and it still wasn't as bright as I'm used to so that most likely is the reason. Also, what I noticed was that for blu rays, when i changed to vivid, the background got grainy so I had to change back to cinema mode.

OH, I have a question that I hope you guys can help me with. when watching a channel through antenna in HD, I would notice horizontal lines briefly each time the scene changed. Is that normal or could it be that I have a bad set or the source is just not good? I don't see that problem when watching blu rays though.

Thanks guys.

You're welcome.  As an aside, I just got back from Best Buy where I was doing some late Christmas shopping with my wife.  While I was there I stopped by the Magnolia room and watched the W850A side by side with the Samsung F8000 LCD (this was the $3,200 flagship model Samsung LCD complete with its own popup video camera), the F8500 plasma, and the new Sony XBR55X850A 4K 55" TV.  By far the best looking TV's of those four were the two Sony's.  The colors were so much richer on the Sonys it was almost ridiculous.  I honestly have no idea how someone could look at those 4 TV's next to each other and choose either of the Samsungs over the Sony's.  It's like you're only seeing half the colors that the source film was shot in when your watching the Samsung F8000 and F8500 vs. the Sonys with Triluminous display.  I'm a huge fan of plasma but even if one could magically make the F8500 immune to image retention I'd still opt for the comparatively less expensive W850A over the F8500 and certainly over the F8000.  The only TV I saw today that I like as much as the W850A and the 4K XBR was the Panasonic ZT60 but even it didn't have the rich colors that the Sony was able to produce.  I'm sure next year all of the manufacturers will have their own version of Triluminous display but until then I just don't see anyone touching Sony in that regard.  The other area where it was obvious the Samsung couldn't keep up was motion handling.  Even with Clear Motion Rate 1200 or whatever it is Samsung calls their motion processing the F8000 was blurring where the Sony processed everything nearly flawlessly.  In my opinion the only thing the Samsung F8000 did better than the Sony was screen uniformity around the edges of the picture.  The W850A does have some faint vignetting on both the right and left sides of the screen.....a little more so on the right.  It's very minor though and overall should not deter anyone from considering this TV.  The only time it's even noticeable is when you're looking at a solid color, brightly lit background like on a commercial or something.  The F8000 had other screen uniformity issues but it was better than the Sony at the edges of the screen.  Outside the Magnolia room in the regular Best Buy showroom had a w900a and it had the same vignetting issue.

 

While we're on the subject of the W900A, I know there were some posts on this forum about the superior panel of the W900A compared to the W850A.  After starring at both TV's for the better part of 30 minutes I honestly have no idea how someone could look at those two panels and think one was even noticeably better than the other.  The colors look the same, the black levels look the same, even the stupid vignette issue is the same.  I couldn't even tell where the motion handling of the 240hz W900A was any better than the W850A.  About the only thing that was noticeable was the size difference between the two.  Needless to say, a 65" screen looks WAY bigger than a 55" screen. Trust me on this, spring for the extra $500 and get the 65" screen over the 55", you won't be disappointed.

 

riceboii911,

Back to your question about horizontal lines running through the screen when you're watching through the antenna input.  Are you running your cable box into that input?  I ask because on my Panasonic ST60 I once tried using the antenna coaxial cable output from my Fios HD cable box to the antenna input of my TV and it wouldn't even produce an HD image.  I then swapped it out for a good HDMI cable from the Fios box to the TV and the difference was incredible.  Full 1080 HD in all it's glory.  I'm wondering if you're having a similar issue?

JackBurton1986 is offline  
post #463 of 4365 Old 12-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Newbie
 
bellxvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Was at bestbuy today and noticed that the w850a and w900a were gone. I asked the sales associate about it and he said that they sold off the store displays. They even removed all the signs and mounting hardware for it. I also noticed a few other sets were missing. Are they really already preparing for the new models? confused.gif

still on sale on best buy canada even on sale for boxing day
bellxvue is offline  
post #464 of 4365 Old 12-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Newbie
 
MakDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I finally upgraded my 2005 720P 50" Sony LCD Rear projector TV to this this TV. This is great TV but the out-of-box settings stink. (e.g. Cinema mode is not sharp, has the soap opera effect, etc..) I spent a day playing around with the settings, and this is what I've come up with:

Backlight 6
Picture 90
Brightness 50
Color 55
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm 2
Sharpness 60
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Red Off
Dot Noise Red Off
Reality Creation Auto
Video Area Detection Off
Resolution Min [greyed out]
Noise Filtering Min [greyed out]
Smooth Gradation Off
Motionflow Off
CineMotion Auto

Black Corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma -1
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Low
White Balance 0
Detail Enhancer Low
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturalizer Off
Display Speed Pref Off [greyed out]


For 3d, increase the brightness by maxing the backlight, and setting gamma to 0 to compensate for the glasses. The TV will remember your 3d settings separately.

Quote:
So i bought the 65" version. I came from a samsung un55b7000 (55" tv) and am not that impressed with the new sony tv. It just doesnt pop and isnt as sharp as the samsung. Are there some recommended settings? For me, i really like bright colors amd sharp images, is it not possible with this set? I must say the deep blacks are impressive though


The trick to achieving sharpness on this set is the "Reality Creation" setting. Set it to auto for now. Although it does cause grain on older movies. I also recommend setting the detail enhancer to at least low, which brightness darker areas of the screen if they contain detail. You will also want to turn off overscan to get 1:1 pixel mapping. Also, set Sharpness to around 60.

The "Live Color" setting increases the vividness of colors. Set it to at least low. Set the Color setting to around 55 to give a subtle saturation. I like the color temperature of Warm 2 the best which gives a slight red tint to whites.


1080p/1080i 1:1 pixel mapping instructions:

This will turn off overscan which should increase sharpness for 1080p/i content. When the TV is displaying a 1080p/i signal change the settings as follows:

Wide Mode Full
Auto Wide Off
Auto Display Area Off
Display Area Full Pixel

Also, for any external device, such as the PS4, that has screen size setting, you will need to max the setting.
redevil likes this.
MakDonald is offline  
post #465 of 4365 Old 12-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Newbie
 
MakDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone noticed a glitch with the Reality Creation setting in the newest firmware? The TV occasionally toggles this setting on it's own. Auto becomes Off , and Off becomes Auto. This seems like a glitch to me and it's very annoying.
MakDonald is offline  
post #466 of 4365 Old 12-24-2013, 11:58 PM
Member
 
riceboii911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Back to your question about horizontal lines running through the screen when you're watching through the antenna input.  Are you running your cable box into that input?  I ask because on my Panasonic ST60 I once tried using the antenna coaxial cable output from my Fios HD cable box to the antenna input of my TV and it wouldn't even produce an HD image.  I then swapped it out for a good HDMI cable from the Fios box to the TV and the difference was incredible.  Full 1080 HD in all it's glory.  I'm wondering if you're having a similar issue?
[/quote]

JackBurton, no, I don't have cable so no cable box. A friend of mine has suggested that maybe there is some upscaling issue when I see those horizontal lines briefly.

So to update, my antenna HD still doesn't look that great compared to before but I mostly watch blu ray movies so I am not too bothered. As for blu ray movies, wow, I take back what I stated previously about the picture quality not being impressive. I plugged in my oppo bd-93 for some testing and I must say, the colors are just excellent. I also watched transformers using amazon prime and the quality was amazing. I also went back to best buy to remind myself of how my samsung looked before and sure enough, their tv's are so bright but when viewed right next to the sony w850a, they surely did not stand a chance in terms of picture quality.

Thank you WhiteSands and MakDonald for offering tips on settings, I sure have plenty to play with to find that perfect picture to my liking.
riceboii911 is offline  
post #467 of 4365 Old 12-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Member
 
JackBurton1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboii911 View Post

Back to your question about horizontal lines running through the screen when you're watching through the antenna input.  Are you running your cable box into that input?  I ask because on my Panasonic ST60 I once tried using the antenna coaxial cable output from my Fios HD cable box to the antenna input of my TV and it wouldn't even produce an HD image.  I then swapped it out for a good HDMI cable from the Fios box to the TV and the difference was incredible.  Full 1080 HD in all it's glory.  I'm wondering if you're having a similar issue?
[/quote]

JackBurton, no, I don't have cable so no cable box. A friend of mine has suggested that maybe there is some upscaling issue when I see those horizontal lines briefly.

So to update, my antenna HD still doesn't look that great compared to before but I mostly watch blu ray movies so I am not too bothered. As for blu ray movies, wow, I take back what I stated previously about the picture quality not being impressive. I plugged in my oppo bd-93 for some testing and I must say, the colors are just excellent. I also watched transformers using amazon prime and the quality was amazing. I also went back to best buy to remind myself of how my samsung looked before and sure enough, their tv's are so bright but when viewed right next to the sony w850a, they surely did not stand a chance in terms of picture quality.

Thank you WhiteSands and MakDonald for offering tips on settings, I sure have plenty to play with to find that perfect picture to my liking.

riceboii911,

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your W850A with your Blu-ray's now.  The colors on this set are simply amazing.  In some ways I feel like I'm watching my Blu-ray movies for the first time again on the Sony because I get to see so much color detail that simply wasn't there when I watched on my previous TV's.  There are colors to sets and costumes that weren't visible to me until I watched on my W850A.  A good example of this occurred recently while watching the TV series Dracula.  Even though it's basically a nighttime soap opera my wife and I tune in every week to watch.  It's a pretty corny show to be honest but the sets and costumes are very elaborate.  I had been watching it with my Panasonic ST60 and it looked great through that TV but when we got the W850A both my wife and I started noticing additional color detail in the sets that we had never seen before.  I guess these colors are part of the source content but without a TV that can produce them like the W850A it goes unseen.  After going through multiple large flat screen TV's with various issues it's been a pleasure owning and watching the W850A.  It has restored my faith in large panel flat screen TV technology.  The other thing I love about it is how well the smart TV features work and how fast the processors are.  It's intuitive and easy to access the internet using "SEN", it streams movies perfectly, and I love pairing the TV to youtube.  In a lot of ways the W850A is taking the place of my laptop for streaming videos and internet content.

 

Regarding using the antenna for HD content.  I've never had much luck trying to do that.  I know the networks broadcast in HD but picking up the signal using an antenna and getting my TV to show it in 1080 is not something I've ever been successful with.  Fortunately, Fios provides all of the major networks with their plan (as they should for how high my monthly cable bill is)!  Everything from the Fios box is going direct to the W850A using a Monster HDMI cable and it looks great.  Although I will admit not all HD that comes across from network TV is created equal.  Some of it looks great (like the Dracula series I was describing before) and some of it not so great, like many of the Food Network shows that my wife likes.

 

Happy Holidays everyone!

JackBurton1986 is offline  
post #468 of 4365 Old 12-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Newbie
 
bellxvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
just bought one can wait to have it and for once it was less then in the state.
WhiteSands likes this.
bellxvue is offline  
post #469 of 4365 Old 12-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Member
 
riceboii911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellxvue View Post

just bought one can wait to have it and for once it was less then in the state.


trust me, you made the right decision in buying one. SO, another update, turns out I had a bad antenna cable. I swapped that out and now the image is as good as I was hoping. Overall, I am so pleased with this set. This will keep me happy until 4k becomes affordable and has more content, woohoo. biggrin.gif
riceboii911 is offline  
post #470 of 4365 Old 12-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboii911 View Post

trust me, you made the right decision in buying one. SO, another update, turns out I had a bad antenna cable. I swapped that out and now the image is as good as I was hoping. Overall, I am so pleased with this set. This will keep me happy until 4k becomes affordable and has more content, woohoo. biggrin.gif

I'm glad to hear you found your input cable was your problem.

I found years ago never to use a 'push-on' coax cable for any connection to the TV's antenna input behind the set. It's a proven fact those type connectors have lots of signal loss. Use only a coax with screw on connectors on each end that you can tighten with your fingers. You can buy a short 3 to 6 foot RG-6 Coax from places like your local walmart for a very low price.

Reminder, the 2014 CES show in Las Vegas starts, Tuesday January 7th. Sony, Samsung, LG and others will be pushing their 4K sets now for the second year which should be interesting. Consumer Reports magazine made a comment that they liked Sony's 4K set best in their December issue.
WhiteSands is offline  
post #471 of 4365 Old 12-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Member
 
SAGriffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDonald View Post

So I finally upgraded my 2005 720P 50" Sony LCD Rear projector TV to this this TV. This is great TV but the out-of-box settings stink. (e.g. Cinema mode is not sharp, has the soap opera effect, etc..) I spent a day playing around with the settings, and this is what I've come up with:

Backlight 6
Picture 90
Brightness 50
Color 55
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm 2
Sharpness 60
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Red Off
Dot Noise Red Off
Reality Creation Auto
Video Area Detection Off
Resolution Min [greyed out]
Noise Filtering Min [greyed out]
Smooth Gradation Off
Motionflow Off
CineMotion Auto

Black Corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma -1
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Low
White Balance 0
Detail Enhancer Low
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturalizer Off
Display Speed Pref Off [greyed out]


For 3d, increase the brightness by maxing the backlight, and setting gamma to 0 to compensate for the glasses. The TV will remember your 3d settings separately.
The trick to achieving sharpness on this set is the "Reality Creation" setting. Set it to auto for now. Although it does cause grain on older movies. I also recommend setting the detail enhancer to at least low, which brightness darker areas of the screen if they contain detail. You will also want to turn off overscan to get 1:1 pixel mapping. Also, set Sharpness to around 60.

The "Live Color" setting increases the vividness of colors. Set it to at least low. Set the Color setting to around 55 to give a subtle saturation. I like the color temperature of Warm 2 the best which gives a slight red tint to whites.


1080p/1080i 1:1 pixel mapping instructions:

This will turn off overscan which should increase sharpness for 1080p/i content. When the TV is displaying a 1080p/i signal change the settings as follows:

Wide Mode Full
Auto Wide Off
Auto Display Area Off
Display Area Full Pixel

Also, for any external device, such as the PS4, that has screen size setting, you will need to max the setting.

What picture/scene selection are you using?
Could you expand on what setting I need to adjust on my PS4 for 1:1 pixel mapping.
Would I need to adjust my Sony Blu-ray the same way as PS4 for screen size?
Do you have some video game settings for a PS4?
SAGriffin is offline  
post #472 of 4365 Old 12-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Member
 
acermen1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just purchased THE kdl65w850A and I am taking delivery on 12-31. I am very excited since I am replacing a plasma set that I purchase in 2004 (1080I). I purchased the new set at Best Buy and they were telling me I should go with the KDL55X850 4K set. They also told me that 4 K sets are selling well but I am not sure I believe that. I did not want to go down to a 55 inch since 4k would be hard to detect the difference with that size since I sit about 12 feet away. I do not have the extra money to go with the 65inch 4k and there is not a lot of 4k sources now and not sure when they will show up.

My main concern is about spending $2500 on a 1080p set with 4k coming in about 4 years. I originally was looking at spending around $1400 but was concerned with the quality of the TV's at that price point. Any thoughts on this. Thanks.
acermen1212 is offline  
post #473 of 4365 Old 12-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Newbie
 
bellxvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post

I just purchased THE kdl65w850A and I am taking delivery on 12-31. I am very excited since I am replacing a plasma set that I purchase in 2004 (1080I). I purchased the new set at Best Buy and they were telling me I should go with the KDL55X850 4K set. They also told me that 4 K sets are selling well but I am not sure I believe that. I did not want to go down to a 55 inch since 4k would be hard to detect the difference with that size since I sit about 12 feet away. I do not have the extra money to go with the 65inch 4k and there is not a lot of 4k sources now and not sure when they will show up.

My main concern is about spending $2500 on a 1080p set with 4k coming in about 4 years. I originally was looking at spending around $1400 but was concerned with the quality of the TV's at that price point. Any thoughts on this. Thanks.

wow was 2000.00 in canada for boxing day
bellxvue is offline  
post #474 of 4365 Old 12-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Newbie
 
MakDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGriffin View Post

What picture/scene selection are you using?
Could you expand on what setting I need to adjust on my PS4 for 1:1 pixel mapping.
Would I need to adjust my Sony Blu-ray the same way as PS4 for screen size?
Do you have some video game settings for a PS4?

I use:
Scene Select "General"
Setting Memory "Common"
Picture Mode "Custom"

After setting the TV to Full Pixel, go into the PS4 Settings menu, under "Sound and Screen / Display Area Settings". You can increase the screen size to it's maximum value here.

I also have a Sony blu-ray player but it does not have a screen size setting. I think only game consoles have them in case the hud ends ends up too close to the edge of the TV. You'll know if the device should have a screen size setting if the screen image does not take up the entire screen after setting the TV to Full Pixel.

I use the the same settings for blu-rays (movies & tv shows), and games. And that's all i use the TV for. Some games like AC4 will be very sharp. But I like it. If you thinks it's too sharp I encourage you to play around with the "reality creation" manual settings.
MakDonald is offline  
post #475 of 4365 Old 12-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Newbie
 
MakDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post

I just purchased THE kdl65w850A and I am taking delivery on 12-31. I am very excited since I am replacing a plasma set that I purchase in 2004 (1080I). I purchased the new set at Best Buy and they were telling me I should go with the KDL55X850 4K set. They also told me that 4 K sets are selling well but I am not sure I believe that. I did not want to go down to a 55 inch since 4k would be hard to detect the difference with that size since I sit about 12 feet away. I do not have the extra money to go with the 65inch 4k and there is not a lot of 4k sources now and not sure when they will show up.

My main concern is about spending $2500 on a 1080p set with 4k coming in about 4 years. I originally was looking at spending around $1400 but was concerned with the quality of the TV's at that price point. Any thoughts on this. Thanks.

Consider yourself lucky you didn't fall for the pushy saleperson's poor recommendation. An extra 10 inches of screen real estate is more important and will actually feel like an upgrade over your previous 55" set. There will not be 4K content for a decade, if ever. No one is even working on a replacement to blu-ray and ISPs will still have bandwidth caps like they do now.
MakDonald is offline  
post #476 of 4365 Old 12-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Member
 
acermen1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDonald View Post

Consider yourself lucky you didn't fall for the pushy saleperson's poor recommendation. An extra 10 inches of screen real estate is more important and will actually feel like an upgrade over your previous 55" set. There will not be 4K content for a decade, if ever. No one is even working on a replacement to blu-ray and ISPs will still have bandwidth caps like they do now.



I am actually coming from a 50 inch Sony plasma that I bought in 2004 that has served me well but it is only 1080i. I still wanted either a 60 or 65 inch for the new TV. I almost believe that the salesman are getting extra commission selling the 4k sets. I know of on one buying one. Everyone says that it is too early. The salesman pushing the 4k say the TV up converts to give you a better picture but according to some reviews that I read from Home Theater magazine and Sound and Vision they had a hard time determining the difference between 4k and 1080 P displays. . I also read an article stating that the human eye cannot detect the difference in the resolution and research and money would be better spent improving other aspects of the picture like contrast and color which are more discernible to the human eye.

What do you think? Thanks
acermen1212 is offline  
post #477 of 4365 Old 12-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Member
 
SAGriffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDonald View Post

I use:
Scene Select "General"
Setting Memory "Common"
Picture Mode "Custom"

After setting the TV to Full Pixel, go into the PS4 Settings menu, under "Sound and Screen / Display Area Settings". You can increase the screen size to it's maximum value here.

I also have a Sony blu-ray player but it does not have a screen size setting. I think only game consoles have them in case the hud ends ends up too close to the edge of the TV. You'll know if the device should have a screen size setting if the screen image does not take up the entire screen after setting the TV to Full Pixel.

I use the the same settings for blu-rays (movies & tv shows), and games. And that's all i use the TV for. Some games like AC4 will be very sharp. But I like it. If you thinks it's too sharp I encourage you to play around with the "reality creation" manual settings.

Thanks.
SAGriffin is offline  
post #478 of 4365 Old 12-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post

I am actually coming from a 50 inch Sony plasma that I bought in 2004 that has served me well but it is only 1080i. I still wanted either a 60 or 65 inch for the new TV. I almost believe that the salesman are getting extra commission selling the 4k sets. I know of on one buying one. Everyone says that it is too early. The salesman pushing the 4k say the TV up converts to give you a better picture but according to some reviews that I read from Home Theater magazine and Sound and Vision they had a hard time determining the difference between 4k and 1080 P displays. . I also read an article stating that the human eye cannot detect the difference in the resolution and research and money would be better spent improving other aspects of the picture like contrast and color which are more discernible to the human eye.

What do you think? Thanks

Your probably right about the salesmen getting a kickback for ever 4K set they sell. I have read more than once a good 4K set up against our W850A set at 6 feet or more viewing distance look the same. You can only see the improvement of the 4K set if your up close, like 2 feet from the screen.

I'm almost sure the 4K is for the future super size sets like 100 to 150 inch screen sizes. That's when the 4K's will really shine. The price will be really high unless the manufactures finds a cheaper way to produce the expensive 4K panels.
WhiteSands is offline  
post #479 of 4365 Old 12-27-2013, 02:18 AM
Member
 
esdeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23

Greetings all,

 

Just picked up my brand new 65w850a today early morning. My first initial impression is this TV aesthetically looks gorgeous. Set up was a breeze. And the colors are vibrant and immediately notice the fast/lower response ms time from the screen.

 

I've only had a few hours of using the set. I don't see any banding or clouding issues but I do have one HUGE problem, when streaming netflix. Sometimes I would see a glitch/blur/wavey effect on the screen for a couple seconds. Hard to describe but a very noticeable distorted image. My previous set 55HX850 does not have this problem at all, which I moved to the another room.

 

This TV really needs to be properly calibrated because out of the box stock settings does not compare to my HX850. I am confident with the right settings this TV should look amazing. 

 

But for now, I think I have a defective TV with the netflix problem. Does anyone else have this problem?   

esdeezy is offline  
post #480 of 4365 Old 12-27-2013, 05:49 AM
Member
 
leonmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdeezy View Post

Greetings all,

Just picked up my brand new 65w850a today early morning. My first initial impression is this TV aesthetically looks gorgeous. Set up was a breeze. And the colors are vibrant and immediately notice the fast/lower response ms time from the screen.

I've only had a few hours of using the set. I don't see any banding or clouding issues but I do have one HUGE problem, when streaming netflix. Sometimes I would see a glitch/blur/wavey effect on the screen for a couple seconds. Hard to describe but a very noticeable distorted image. My previous set 55HX850 does not have this problem at all, which I moved to the another room.

This TV really needs to be properly calibrated because out of the box stock settings does not compare to my HX850. I am confident with the right settings this TV should look amazing. 

But for now, I think I have a defective TV with the netflix problem. Does anyone else have this problem?   

I can't help with the Netflix issue, but wanted to comment on the 55HX850. I also replaced my 55HX850 with the 65W850A and agree with your comment (moved the 55HX850 into the great room for the wife). Before the 55HX850 I only purchased the current XBR model, but the quality of the 55HX850 changed my thinking about price point verses viewing experience. I still have not made one adjustment to my 65W850A and like you I feel the experience will get better with some tweaking. GREAT TV! Enjoy and I hope you don't have a bad unit.

Leon McKee
leonmckee is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

User Tag List
WhiteSands

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off