Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 379Likes

Old 11-15-2015, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone think it's still possible to get one of these TVs new? A third-party seller on Amazon currently lists one and recently another seller (BUYFULLHD) had a couple. I was skeptical because I had encountered some bait-and-switch stuff with another seller supposedly selling older TVs on Amazon. Regardless, I bought one from BUYFULLHD (after researching them online and calling to verify they had what they said they did) thinking that even it was a refurb or something it could still be great for my purposes (games).

I just got it and, since I live in a tiny rental without someone to help me handle the thing, haven't even fired it up yet. The delivery guy (Southeastern Freight Lines) stood in the doorway and waited for me to inspect it but no more. I think I'm as keen as the next guy at detecting merchandise that's been used/returned and the TV looks new to me. It has a piece of paper taped to it that's obviously intended for a store ("Thank you for purchasing our new FWD models. These displays are designed to support HTML 5 inputs for signage and other applications. this allows the display to connect to any standard LAN system and display signage without the need of a local server. In addition, it is possible to run an entire show simply by connecting a USB storage device. This lower costs and simplifies installation and operations.")

I wanted a 65" with good upscaling, nice picture, and low input lag so I can use a Framemeister if necessary without the total lag exceeding 50ms or so. I don't want to upscale the games (to 4K) unnecessarily. Hopefully this thing works and lasts awhile!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2015, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 459
I'm glad to see a few of these sets are still available by a 3rd party listed on Amazon. Place your mouse over the stars and compare this great set's extremely low 3, 2 and 1 stars compared to today's 2015 sets, which average 13% on 1 star.

This is due to so many screen failure problems. During 2015 and most of the 2014 sets are having screen problems. The main TV screen manufacture Samsung has been outsourcing their display work to small manufactures.

Your one lucky guy gamedoctor to buy one of these sets new. I have had my set since October 4th 2013 and it plays and looks just as good as the day it was delivered from Amazon. I remember I paid like $2899 to buy this new KDL-65W850A set. It listed for $2999 at the time. I had seen the prices drop down over a year or so to as low as $1499 when 3 large suppliers bought large quantities of them to sell. Those were Best Buy, Fry's, and Crutchfield best I can remember. ABT bought 180 of these sets and sold them in 5-weeks time. That may have been during the summer-fall of 2014.

Enjoy your set, you just bought a winner. page way down on this site below to see all this sets features.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL65W850...ds=kdl-65w850a

whitesands

Last edited by WhiteSands; 11-16-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Sometimes I forget to occationally include one of my scenic screen shots to show just how great a picture this TV can deliver.

steve1971 and domino55 like this.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:25 PM

Thanks very much, WhiteSands, for the settings. You're right, I was going to ask when I got to the necessary post count!

Looks like a great TV so far, but I'm in this tiny rental (completely filled with our boxed-up junk) while we build a house so I can't really set it up fully or do anything fun with it. Didn't want it to get away though, so I'll just be hanging on to it until ready to install in the new place and hook up all the games, etc. Should be a great gaming TV and, judging by your images, a very nice display for watching colorful animated stuff with my son. As a matter of fact I noticed after I got it that Fudoh (a very knowledgeable chap who runs a website devoted to upscaling old video games and the like) rated the Sony W650 (which I believe is a European version related to the W850A) 2013's best gaming TV.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedoctor View Post
Thanks very much, WhiteSands, for the settings. You're right, I was going to ask when I got to the necessary post count!

Looks like a great TV so far, but I'm in this tiny rental (completely filled with our boxed-up junk) while we build a house so I can't really set it up fully or do anything fun with it. Didn't want it to get away though, so I'll just be hanging on to it until ready to install in the new place and hook up all the games, etc. Should be a great gaming TV and, judging by your images, a very nice display for watching colorful animated stuff with my son. As a matter of fact I noticed after I got it that Fudoh (a very knowledgeable chap who runs a website devoted to upscaling old video games and the like) rated the Sony W650 (which I believe is a European version related to the W850A) 2013's best gaming TV.
You may need to know that most places that sell TV's gives a 30 day replacement or refund. I have read that Best Buy my be 60 days unless they changed their policy. It might be a good idea to install the base on the TV and power it on even if you have to use a cheap pair of rabbit ears. The set once turned on has a short easy to follow program that walks you though some simple steps including adding digital and analog cable or off-air stations. Choose the off-air if you use rabbit ears. You can go back later and add the cable channels if needed. I would suggest you watch the TV in the Vivid-mode till you have time to put in my settings. If Vivid is to bright when watching at night you can back the Vivid-Mode Picture settings "backlight setting" down a few numbers till it's comfortable to watch.

If you have any problems with the set the company you bought it from should replace it with a new one within the 30-day return period. After 30 days info from Sony says, the set is considered used and would then be replaced with a refurbished set. Just wanted to let you know the rules from most web sales dealers. Yours may vary, to find out you can check their web page or call them and ask to be sure.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Another of my scenic screen shots. I like the various shades of green and including some nice deep blacks in this picture. I always thought plasma's ruled, but after seeing this LED set I my home I quickly changed my mind.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 11-17-2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Another of my scenic screen shots. I like the various shades of green and including some nice deep blacks in this picture. I always thought plasma's ruled, but after seeing this LED set I my home I quickly changed my mind.

Glad to see your still posting those great looking pic's from your tv WS. I still say the 55W900A and the 65W850A is still some of the finest sets made by Sony. I dont care what anyone says but I think both sets hold their own very well against the new 4K sets that are now out today. I bought my 55W900A in May of last year and my wife and I are still loving it and I dont see that changing anytime soon. By the way WS have you noticed all the screen issues that have been popping up with the new sets now days? You would think that what they are charging for these 4K sets the quality control would be much better but that seems not to be the case.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Glad to see your still posting those great looking pic's from your tv WS. I still say the 55W900A and the 65W850A is still some of the finest sets made by Sony. I dont care what anyone says but I think both sets hold their own very well against the new 4K sets that are now out today. I bought my 55W900A in May of last year and my wife and I are still loving it and I don't see that changing anytime soon. By the way WS have you noticed all the screen issues that have been popping up with the new sets now days? You would think that what they are charging for these 4K sets the quality control would be much better but that seems not to be the case.
I looked on the Amazon site for the 55W900A set and saw a few that were for sale used, but they wanted like $1400 for each. Even if they sell them at $1200 it might be worth the money for the fantastic picture that 900A set makes.

I enjoy looking at the stars vs percentage on these two sets. 84% of 5-stars on the 900 and 86% on the 850 model. Both models had 2% or less for the 1-star. Now go find me any TV that even comes close to those numbers. I can't even find a set within the last year or so that don't have 13% on the 1-star. Those are mostly for various screen problems and failures.

I watched a indoor pro game Sunday and moved the sharpness setting from 30 to 50 on Vivid just for this one game. I wish I could have compared my very detailed picture to a 4K set. I don't think 4K is for me and you till the networks start to broadcast in the 4K format. That may be while down the road.
steve1971 likes this.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, long time lurker, I was able to get this set earlier today for a great price, and after going into the service menu, it has 0 hours listed for usage...not sure if that is right, but Im going to set this up later today and saw that Whitesands seems to have some great base settings to start with. Im interested in how Game mode compares to standard or vivid mode in regards to input lag, bought this set because of the low input lag. Anyone have some info on this? Thanks, and I look forward to your settings Whitesands, sent you a PM!
Old 11-17-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
You may need to know that most places that sell TV's gives a 30 day replacement or refund. I have read that Best Buy my be 60 days unless they changed their policy. It might be a good idea to install the base on the TV and power it on even if you have to use a cheap pair of rabbit ears. The set once turned on has a short easy to follow program that walks you though some simple steps including adding digital and analog cable or off-air stations. Choose the off-air if you use rabbit ears. You can go back later and add the cable channels if needed. I would suggest you watch the TV in the Vivid-mode till you have time to put in my settings. If Vivid is to bright when watching at night you can back the Vivid-Mode Picture settings "backlight setting" down a few numbers till it's comfortable to watch.

If you have any problems with the set the company you bought it from should replace it with a new one within the 30-day return period. After 30 days info from Sony says, the set is considered used and would then be replaced with a refurbished set. Just wanted to let you know the rules from most web sales dealers. Yours may vary, to find out you can check their web page or call them and ask to be sure.

Good point. I should make sure the panel looks acceptable and it goes through all the basic functions at least. But this thing is a beast compared to any TV I've had before. Gonna need some help, especially in my tight quarters. Fortunately I have a brother-in-law close by who's always looking for an excuse to play with new techy stuff. Also just found a new Samsung H7150 at the local Walmart and I need to make sure it's legit too. Been researching a lot of "old" 1080p TVs since things are going 4K.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I looked on the Amazon site for the 55W900A set and saw a few that were for sale used, but they wanted like $1400 for each. Even if they sell them at $1200 it might be worth the money for the fantastic picture that 900A set makes.

I enjoy looking at the stars vs percentage on these two sets. 84% of 5-stars on the 900 and 86% on the 850 model. Both models had 2% or less for the 1-star. Now go find me any TV that even comes close to those numbers. I can't even find a set within the last year or so that don't have 13% on the 1-star. Those are mostly for various screen problems and failures.

I watched a indoor pro game Sunday and moved the sharpness setting from 30 to 50 on Vivid just for this one game. I wish I could have compared my very detailed picture to a 4K set. I don't think 4K is for me and you till the networks start to broadcast in the 4K format. That may be while down the road.

Your right WS 4K isnt for me. It wasnt when it first came out and its not now or for the forseeable future. As for the broadcast networks broadcasting in 4K here in the U.S thats not going to happen anytime soon. The reason is due to the bandwith that 4K would take plus not mention broadcasters would literally have to redo their whole network to make it happen and that takes alot of time and money. Now companies like Comcast, Directv ect I am sure will have a dedicated 4K channel like they had with 3D but is that gonna be reason enough to buy a 4K tv? One word....No. I have been down that road before with 3D and I aint biteing. Now is 4K the future? All signs point that way but for me its a wait and see game. If and when I ever do go 4K it will be the projection route because to me thats the only way to see the true benefits of 4K. Anything smaller forget it. That all being said. I also have checked the ratings on our tv's and on every site I have visted I have seen nothing but positive reviews and 5 stars. Pretty impressive for two tv's that are 2013/2014 models wouldnt you say?
Old 11-19-2015, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

You bet Steve.. I now look at the amount of customer reviews I see on a set if it's been out for about 6 months. I try to find the lowest 1-star complaints as possible. No doubt the 65W850a and the 55W900a may be the best ratings ever on any big screen TV. I doubt that will never be beat.

About the bandwidth. They came up with the digital format for TV around 1990. Like you say, it takes lots of bandwidth. In fact back then they were saying up to 3 VHF channels for one digital broadcast. The TV industry found a way to compress the TV signals many times more than the compression used for the internet traffic. My guess this is how they can have like 3 or 4 digital signals (channels) and one or two analog and send those out over a single transmitter antenna and be expanded back in the TV's tuner.

I would expect 4K to be handled the same way or the engineers may find a better way to deal with the 4K signal hopefully without having to replace all their expensive equipment. I still say that 4K is more favorable for 75 to 125 inch TV screens.

Try comparing these two TV's for yourself, search Amazon for the info and ratings, then look at the newer TV detailed star ratings.

WS
steve1971 likes this.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Another of my favorite screen shots taken from my set.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You bet Steve.. I now look at the amount of customer reviews I see on a set if it's been out for about 6 months. I try to find the lowest 1-star complaints as possible. No doubt the 65W850a and the 55W900a may be the best ratings ever on any big screen TV. I doubt that will never be beat.

About the bandwidth. They came up with the digital format for TV around 1990. Like you say, it takes lots of bandwidth. In fact back then they were saying up to 3 VHF channels for one digital broadcast. The TV industry found a way to compress the TV signals many times more than the compression used for the internet traffic. My guess this is how they can have like 3 or 4 digital signals (channels) and one or two analog and send those out over a single transmitter antenna and be expanded back in the TV's tuner.

I would expect 4K to be handled the same way or the engineers may find a better way to deal with the 4K signal hopefully without having to replace all their expensive equipment. I still say that 4K is more favorable for 75 to 125 inch TV screens.

Try comparing these two TV's for yourself, search Amazon for the info and ratings, then look at the newer TV detailed star ratings.

WS

WS you said "I still say that 4K is more favorable for 75 to 125 inch TV screens." I have been saying that from the beginning about 4K but then I have had some people come back at me with the same old line that you can tell the difference between a 1080p and 4K tv at a size of 55inches. I have had even a BB employee try and tell me that as well. I call bull**** on that because at BB they have had 1080p tv's and 4K tv's sitting right beside one another and at 55inches I saw no difference at all, hell at 65inches I saw no difference! But some people see what they want to see I guess. Anyhow as for comparing our two tv's to todays new tv's goes ratings speak volumes in my book and our two tv's still beat some of the best tv's out there today. Like I have said before......not to bad for two 2013/2014 tv's that dont feature 4K.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

On the larger screen 4K vs 1080p sets you can tell a difference only if the 4K is up-scaling a 1080p signal. Then you have to be close to the sets to see the 4K has a little better picture. A 4K set playing a rather expensive 4K blu ray rental does look fantastic. Tonight I watched Jurassic World from a netflix rental. Although is was a 1080p blu ray version, it looked great on my Sony set, set to the Vivid mode.

I'm sure with this advanced IC technology and manufacturing methods the newer TV sets including the 4K's will come down over the years. Look at the advancement of computers, up to 4K processors and cost about half what the 2.4 or 1.8? cpu computers cost. Notice the hardware in these newer computers rarely goes out compared to 5 or so years ago. We used to use a physical hard drive. The Solid State Drives are much faster especially with Intel processors. Now the physical drives and now available with part SSD, called a hybrid-hard drive.

My guess these advanced drives at a lower price may soon show up in our TV's for TV shows replay and etc.
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 11-21-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My 850A has been in it's original box the last 7mos. while I have been house hunting........finally found my dream house on the Eastern Range in Colorado.......(goodbye NC beach!)
Hopefully........the Sony survived the 1500 mile ride!! I have an appointment the first week of Dec. for cable and Internet install.....

Whitesands, have your settings changed at all over the last year or so?
If so, please send the updated version to me....😎......N8

Remember my screen shot of the Winter Olympics when I first got my set?.............Ms. Lindsey Vonn......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1074730  
steve1971 likes this.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, I remember well your very colorful standout picture of the Olympic skier. Your set should be in great shape being in it's thick-walled original protective box. Enjoy your new home and location.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Any changes to your settings Since Feb. 2014?
Thanks Jim! 😎
Old 11-25-2015, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Gee I don't know, sent them to you anyway.

WS
domino55 likes this.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I haven't updated the firmware on my tv since I've first gotten it is it necessary to do I don't use the tv for any of the apps just wondering if I bed to do it
Old 12-02-2015, 10:08 AM

Does anyone know the EXACT location of the IR sensor on the front of the KDL-65W850A?

Leon McKee
Old 12-02-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post
Does anyone know the EXACT location of the IR sensor on the front of the KDL-65W850A?

Leon McKee

Found it! It's just 1 inch to the left of the SONY logo. Needed a powerful flashlight to make it stand out.

Leon McKee
Old 12-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post

Leon McKee
Look above the ring stand just under the bottom edge of the TV. Glad you found it using a flashlight.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 12-02-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey WS can you post some pics of your HT setup? I would love to see it buddy.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:34 PM

Liked: 46
I am looking for a wireless keyboard to godwits this TV. I found it very annoying to use enter text for title searches in YouTube and Netflix. Any suggestions? I checked and there are 2 kinds; WiFi and Bluetooth.

I already have a Harmony remote (Ultimate One and the Hub).
Old 01-06-2016, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi All.
I need some help. I purchased an XBR65x850a about a year and a half ago. Wonderful tv. I'm getting ready to retire this month nad plan on doing some serious binge watching. I've thought about upgrading to a 4 k set. The set I was looking at is the UN65JU7500FXZA. I could go no larger than70". I use directv as my provider. Anyone have any input one way or the other?
Thanks for any info and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Howard
steve1971 likes this.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxdad View Post
Hi All.
I need some help. I purchased an XBR65x850a about a year and a half ago. Wonderful tv. I'm getting ready to retire this month nad plan on doing some serious binge watching. I've thought about upgrading to a 4 k set. The set I was looking at is the UN65JU7500FXZA. I could go no larger than70". I use directv as my provider. Anyone have any input one way or the other?
Thanks for any info and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Howard

Howard, if your tv is doing its thing and your happy with it there is no need to get another in my opinion. Thats how I feel about my Sony 55W900A. But its your choice, your money so in the end its up to you. Happy New Year to you as well.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Good to see some of you guys still around and I did end up buying a lg 9300 oled but sold the w850a to my parents and they like it a lot. Just watched football on it since they had people over and it still looks good.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungHeat View Post
I haven't updated the firmware on my tv since I've first gotten it is it necessary to do I don't use the tv for any of the apps just wondering if I bed to do it
Never bad to update FW IMO.
I always want the bugs fixed.
steve1971 likes this.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I bought mine from Sony with their employee pricing discount and also got a two year intrest free loan - this month was my final payment so it's finally paid off. The TV still looks as good as new.
steve1971 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led