Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 385Likes

Old 10-02-2016, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezjp View Post
Well after 2+ years of fantastic viewing with this set an issue popped up this morning. It looks kinda like a dead pixel but the area it covers is about 6-7 pixels and is in the shape of an upside down "V." Tried pixel flipper, factory reset, and couldn't fix it. I bought it with a 3 year service plan so Sony will replace it with a newer W850C I hope it's as good as this one was. Here are some pics of the problem. Anybody seen anything like this before?

I had this exact same thing happen on mine but I had only had the TV for around 30 days. I didn't do anything about it and still have the set. Like you, at first I thought it was a dead pixel but it covers an area that is several pixels total. I was stumped on what caused it and eventually just assumed that a bug or some other small object became lodged and was causing a shadow. The spot has never gotten any worse and I have now had it for over 2 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2016, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
[/QUOTEI had this exact same thing happen on mine but I had only had the TV for around 30 days. I didn't do anything about it and still have the set. Like you, at first I thought it was a dead pixel but it covers an area that is several pixels total. I was stumped on what caused it and eventually just assumed that a bug or some other small object became lodged and was causing a shadow. The spot has never gotten any worse and I have now had it for over 2 years.[/QUOTE]

If the spot was not right in the middle I may consider keeping it but I can't not see it and I may as well use the replacement plan while I have it. Funny you mentioned a bug. That's what I thought it might be too.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braska View Post
Quote:
Thanks. Have not heard of others having this trouble. It's such a weird thing when you look at it. Sad to see this go but I'm excited about the full array backlighting on the 850c as the edge lighting on this set always caused some banding watching sports and hated whenever words or titles would be in the center of a black screen and the edges would be lit up. Really hard to complain about much with the 850a though. It's been really awesome!
Ouch! that does stink after 2 years. I haven't really heard this being a pervasive problem so hopefully me and others won't have this crop up. You'll probably be happy with the 850c though. Btw, how do you know that is the model they will replace it with? Does your service plan just state something like current model or...? I passed on the service plan so fingers crossed.
They sent me an email after I reported the problem with the model number they ordered for my replacement.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
They sent me an email after I reported the problem with the model number they ordered for my replacement.
Awesome. It will be interesting to hear how the new model compares to the old. Inquiring minds want to know! Good luck.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braska View Post
Quote:
Awesome. It will be interesting to hear how the new model compares to the old. Inquiring minds want to know! Good luck.
Received the 850c today as my replacement for the 850a. Overall very similar. Don't notice any difference in not having Triluminous. Colors are just as vibrant and vivid on the new set. With the new set being direct lit I'm liking how when it shows white text against a black background the edges aren't lit up. That being said the 850a did have local frame dimming and was able to dim parts of the screen where as the 850c has no local dimming so the backlight is either on or off. It's more consisntant than 850a but just can't get that infinite black look in sections of the screen that the 850a could. I'm really missing that. Sadly Sony is only offering local dimming on only 2 of their top of the line 4K TVs. The X930D and the new Z9D. The vertical banding is also a little worse on the 850c. Not really noticeable watching football but pretty bad watching baseball. The 850a had banding too though. This new TV much like the 850a looked very good right out of the box with minimal tweaking. They even defaulted to standard picture mode instead of years of sonys defaulting to vivid mode. Also the color control and presets are much improved over the 850a. Overall I'm pretty happy with the 850c but if I had to choose I would probably rather still have my 850a. Some Directv pics of the new tv in a nighttime setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6377_1476163515795.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1709089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6386_1476163537771.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1709097   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1476163606938.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1709105   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1476163705644.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1709129  
Old 10-12-2016, 06:18 AM

Liked: 1
The edges on white lettering always bugged me also..so thats a nice improvement for you. When I compare my 850a to my LG OLED it drives me nuts because the OLED is so much better. I had a little scare the other day with my 850a... was watching a football game and it just reset itself back to the Sony logo..... then resumed. Had never seen that before. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. Enjoy your new set ... everything i have heard and read peg it as a winner !
Old 10-18-2016, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just got a software update for the tv today. Nice to see the software still being updated. Anyone know what is new with the firmware update?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Bose Soundtouch 130 soundbar || Synology DS716+ NAS || XBOX One ||

Xbox Live : BoDEAN
Old 10-20-2016, 01:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Just got a software update for the tv today. Nice to see the software still being updated. Anyone know what is new with the firmware update?
I feel the interface more snappy and fluid. I just checked the official page in Sony's page and found nothing regards this firmware update
Old 11-29-2016, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
What settings is everyone using for 3D for this tv? And has anyone gotten a 4K tv if so how does this tv stack up to it
Old Today, 03:40 AM

Liked: 10
@WhiteSands

any changes to your settings? (would you mind sending me your settings)
my set is still going strong and now ive introduced an xbox one s maybe its time to try different settings

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led