post #721 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDonald View Post

I have encountered a glitch with this TV where the settings will change on their own. It typically happens when I change the input source and I have the settings set to common, and so far I've noticed the glitch only changes the reality creation setting (sharpness). I wonder if this was the glitch you encountered as well. When this happens to me, I just change the setting back. I always check the settings now before I watch something to make sure they didn't change.

You didn't mention setting the Scene Selection to General. This prevents the TV from auto changing the Scene Selection to some other presets.

If the Reality Creation is at default, Auto then the Resolution setting should be grayed out. With the Reality creation set to Manual then you can manually set the Resolution. My advice is to leave pix mode, Standard set to default other then changing the Backlight to Maximum.

It might be a good idea to turn your set off, then unplug it from the 110 volt power source for about 5 minutes. That should give the set time for the capacitors to bleed down and any flip-flops to reset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post

Same exact problem as of late... i thought it might be my power conditioner so i plugged it into another surge protector and same problem... really annoying. Any input (blu-ray, apple tv) has the noise and as the poster noted sometimes its from the left sometimes its from the right... was wondering if it might be a circuit problem and I should contact Sony.

The fellow in the video was hearing his clicking sound with no-signal applied to the TV. This is normal but not when a signal is applied like in your case. I don't know your HDMI cable setup or if you using a A/V Audio Receiver for your audio. Does the clicking sound change when you Mute the sound or adjust the volume on the TV remote.
post #723 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What settings is everyone using for sports... Like today's football games?? :-)

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk
post #724 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsmario View Post

Was interested in this TV myself. Anybody know if the 2014 lineup will be FALD?

FALD sounds like plasma talk. Panasonic and Samsung both are stopping making plasma's this year and I think Sony did years ago. Looks like the LED sets are improving to near equal the plasma sets picture quality. Keep a eye out for Dolby-Video in the LED sets and OLED TVs which may be a few years away. This W850 set has the best picture and color I have ever seen in a TV so far.
post #725 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoexxl View Post

What settings is everyone using for sports... Like today's football games?? :-)

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Try my simple few Settings from the previous page. I watch all sports, regular TV and blu-ray shows using Picture Mode, Standard and the picture looks great. I use Vivid with my few setting changes for older faded TV shows and DVDs.

I was wrong, as soon as the Denver team got into the shadows I then switched to Vivid. I also watched the Seattle game set to Vivid. The colors and picture quality was great even under the lights.
post #726 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For those of you with the lights at the back of the TV, you may want to look at one of these:
http://www.staples.ca/en/APC-7-Outlet-1020-Joules-Power-Saving-Essential-Surge-Protector/product_917568_2-CA_1_20001

You connect the TV to the master plug and the lights in the "slave" plugs, and presto, the lights turn on and off with your tv! I have one and it's great.
post #727 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

FALD sounds like plasma talk. Panasonic and Samsung both are stopping making plasma's this year and I think Sony did years ago. Looks like the LED sets are improving to near equal the plasma sets picture quality. Keep a eye out for Dolby-Video in the LED sets and OLED TVs which may be a few years away. This W850 set has the best picture and color I have ever seen in a TV so far.

FALD = Full-Array (LED back-lighting) with Local Dimming. [Darn acronyms!] Basically, locating a larger number of LEDs directly behind the screen (instead of along the edges), with a pre-defined set of LED zones that can be individually dimmed or turned off as needed to improve black levels.
post #728 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 03:53 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post

FALD = Full-Array (LED back-lighting) with Local Dimming. [Darn acronyms!] Basically, locating a larger number of LEDs directly behind the screen (instead of along the edges), with a pre-defined set of LED zones that can be individually dimmed or turned off as needed to improve black levels.

Sony dropped full array backlighting from their lineup after 2012 I believe.  They said the production costs were simply too high so I doubt you'll see a full array set in their 2014 line of TV's.

post #729 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton1986 View Post

Sony dropped full array backlighting from their lineup after 2012 I believe.  They said the production costs were simply too high so I doubt you'll see a full array set in their 2014 line of TV's.

Their 2014 x950b has FALD, but it will cost upwards of $7K.
post #730 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Can anyone tell me what the heck XR 480 vs 960 means?

I know the numbers are blown out of proportion, but some say 480 is a 120hz panel while others say it is 240hz like the 960.

Id guess 480 is 4 times 120 for whatever meaning, and 960 is 4 times 240 so the 480's are indeed 240hz. Then they have a 240, which is 4 times 60hz IMO?

I notice the 55" panels are 960 but the 65" is 480...

Edit: found the info.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #731 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 04:59 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Their 2014 x950b has FALD, but it will cost upwards of $7K.

Holy crap that's a lot of money!  Not to be lazy as I could look it up for myself but is that a 65" 4K set?

post #732 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

The fellow in the video was hearing his clicking sound with no-signal applied to the TV. This is normal but not when a signal is applied like in your case. I don't know your HDMI cable setup or if you using a A/V Audio Receiver for your audio. Does the clicking sound change when you Mute the sound or adjust the volume on the TV remote.

Nope, its always making noise regardless of the input (i have it connected to my oppo 105). if i turn off the Oppo, still noise, mute the volume, still noise - stranger sometimes its clicking, sometimes its a static like sound and it sometimes even switches sides from right to left. Have no idea what it could be.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
post #733 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

That's me in the video.  I posted a thread about it here that got no replies, then found people talking about it over here! :)  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512422/ticking-from-speakers-sony-kdl-65w850a#post_24229404

It seems to me that you shouldn't get noise from the speakers even without an input if it's designed well - it should just turn them off in that case.  But regardless, input, no input, it makes no difference.  Even with the TV audio set to use an external system, which should definitely turn the speakers off.  The sound does vary seemingly randomly though, so sometimes you can only hear it if you really mash your ear up against the speaker, and other times it's clearly audible on the other side of a quiet room.

I have contacted Sony and they said they were unaware of any problem, but would check with the techs and get back to me next week.  Maybe if the rest of you having the same issue call as well it will increase the priority.  It seems fairly likely that the TV's power supply is throwing off noise that the speakers are picking up, so the real fix would probably involve a design change in the power supply.  Hopefully something as simple as swapping out some filter caps.

Does everyone get this sound to some extent if you put your ear right up against the speaker?  Or is it only some of us?  If the latter, I'm going to hang onto the TV and let Sony repair or replace it.  If all models have this though, I may return it to Future Shop while I still can and look for something else.  It's no problem when it's quiet, but the problem is I have no idea how often it's going to be at the more annoying level, and it would drive me crazy during quiet scenes in movies and that kind of thing.  On the other hand, the picture quality is great and I would hate to take this one back only to end up with a poor panel.  Argh why can't everything just work? ;)

post #734 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redevil View Post

Wondering if his wall outlet that the TV is plugged into has a lot of static or interference coming from it? Never seen that before.

Good thought, but no.  Just tried it in a few different plugs, as well as with a surge protector.  No noticeable difference.

Also, the sound is definitely coming from the speakers themselves, not a fan or something - both bottom speakers, as well as the one in the top-center at the back.  Usually it's loudest through the left side one, then the top, then the right, but not always.  (You can tell it's the speakers, because if you move your ear to a different part of the venting, away from immediately in front of the speaker, it gets quieter.)

If it were something you always had to put your ear up to the TV to notice, I certainly wouldn't care, but for some reason, it does regularly get louder than that.  Not super loud, but enough to be annoying given the 'ticking'.  If it was pure white noise even, it would probably be fine.

post #735 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lleader View Post

I'm not exactly sure. I was just looking at all the new stuff. I was in the internet browser and then did something to leave that and go to something else I can't remember and the screen flashed to something else for a split second and then back to the browser. That was all she wrote. The only key on the remote that worked was power. I know this is somewhat vague but that's all I remember.

I also managed to lock up the TV in this same way, also while trying to use the browser.   Can't recall exactly what I did and haven't tried to recreate, but the browser does seem to be the common element.

post #736 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempestGuy View Post

I also managed to lock up the TV in this same way, also while trying to use the browser.   Can't recall exactly what I did and haven't tried to recreate, but the browser does seem to be the common element.

Thanks for confirming the problem is not unique to my TV.  Whew!  When it happened to me I had not updated to the latest firmware, but I then did so. Since then I have had no recurrences BUT I have not played with the browser again.

post #737 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:

That's me in the video.  I posted a thread about it here that got no replies, then found people talking about it over here! smile.gif  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512422/ticking-from-speakers-sony-kdl-65w850a#post_24229404

It seems to me that you shouldn't get noise from the speakers even without an input if it's designed well - it should just turn them off in that case.  But regardless, input, no input, it makes no difference.  Even with the TV audio set to use an external system, which should definitely turn the speakers off.  The sound does vary seemingly randomly though, so sometimes you can only hear it if you really mash your ear up against the speaker, and other times it's clearly audible on the other side of a quiet room.

I have contacted Sony and they said they were unaware of any problem, but would check with the techs and get back to me next week.  Maybe if the rest of you having the same issue call as well it will increase the priority.  It seems fairly likely that the TV's power supply is throwing off noise that the speakers are picking up, so the real fix would probably involve a design change in the power supply.  Hopefully something as simple as swapping out some filter caps.

Does everyone get this sound to some extent if you put your ear right up against the speaker?  Or is it only some of us?  If the latter, I'm going to hang onto the TV and let Sony repair or replace it.  If all models have this though, I may return it to Future Shop while I still can and look for something else.  It's no problem when it's quiet, but the problem is I have no idea how often it's going to be at the more annoying level, and it would drive me crazy during quiet scenes in movies and that kind of thing.  On the other hand, the picture quality is great and I would hate to take this one back only to end up with a poor panel.  Argh why can't everything just work? wink.gif

I didn't notice this with my last set and again handnt noticed it until I wall mounted. Do you have TV wall mounted too? Wonder if its a problem with putting the speakers settings to "wall mount" instead of "table top/stand" ill try to test this later and see if its a fix. Please keep us updated on what the Sony rep says (ill see if I can call some time this week and note the problem with them too).

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
post #738 of 4195 Old 01-19-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post

I didn't notice this with my last set and again handnt noticed it until I wall mounted. Do you have TV wall mounted too? Wonder if its a problem with putting the speakers settings to "wall mount" instead of "table top/stand" ill try to test this later and see if its a fix. Please keep us updated on what the Sony rep says (ill see if I can call some time this week and note the problem with them too).

Mine is wall mounted too, but I suspect that has more to do with the proximity of the speakers to your ears.

post #739 of 4195 Old 01-20-2014, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's me in the video.  I posted a thread about it here that got no replies, then found people talking about it over here! smile.gif  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512422/ticking-from-speakers-sony-kdl-65w850a#post_24229404

Does everyone get this sound to some extent if you put your ear right up against the speaker?  Or is it only some of us?  If the latter, I'm going to hang onto the TV and let Sony repair or replace it.  If all models have this though, I may return it to Future Shop while I still can and look for something else.  It's no problem when it's quiet, but the problem is I have no idea how often it's going to be at the more annoying level, and it would drive me crazy during quiet scenes in movies and that kind of thing.  On the other hand, the picture quality is great and I would hate to take this one back only to end up with a poor panel.  Argh why can't everything just work? wink.gif

Why not call your certified seller and ask to have someone come out and replaced your audio board which should fix your clicking problem. If it's happening while watching TV it's definitely a problem. This way you can keep your good known set and you still got a year guarantee to go if any other problems occur.

I'm using a Yamaha surround sound system connected with a HDMI cable and I hear no problems at all on quiet scenes with the blu-ray or any TV shows. I do leave my Dish DVR on all time so it will update the on-screen TV guide during the night, so I never see my TV without a signal.
post #740 of 4195 Old 01-20-2014, 03:21 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton1986 View Post

Since they're using FALD (only for the "PRO" version of X-tended Dynamic Range) for the highest end XBR this year do you guys think they will make more models that have FALD in 2015 before they move toward OLED?

Also, do you guys think X-tended Dynamic Range on the W900b (Edge lit 1080) will be any improvement over the W850? I'm curious about how the uniformity will be on the '14 model.

Edit: And any word on the price for the W900B? :/
post #741 of 4195 Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 AM

Quote:

Why not call your certified seller and ask to have someone come out and replaced your audio board which should fix your clicking problem. If it's happening while watching TV it's definitely a problem. This way you can keep your good known set and you still got a year guarantee to go if any other problems occur.

I'm using a Yamaha surround sound system connected with a HDMI cable and I hear no problems at all on quiet scenes with the blu-ray or any TV shows. I do leave my Dish DVR on all time so it will update the on-screen TV guide during the night, so I never see my TV without a signal.

I did contact Sony already.  They do in-home repair.  Could be too much noise from the power supply, or inadequate shielding/filtering in the audio board as you say, or even in the speaker connections themselves.  Hopefully Sony will come up with a solution.  I'd really rather repair this set than replace since visually it's great.

post #742 of 4195 Old 01-20-2014, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

It would be interesting to find out what the serial number are and date of mfg. of the units that have this noise coming from the speaker. This would help to determine if it is a batch issue or the problem is inherent in the design. Thanks.
post #743 of 4195 Old 01-20-2014, 11:36 AM

Liked: 10

A quick update on my vertical banding issues...

I replaced my TV this weekend with a new one.

I still see vertical bands during motion but they are much less pronounced.  I was convinced on the previous set that the bands were affecting the still picture (which annoyed me the most, since I felt like I could live with the 'dirty screen' during motion if I had to) whereas on this set I think I see them only during motion.

From what I have read, it does seem like many large LEDs can have banding problems and it's mostly luck of the draw as to what you get.

I love the TV otherwise, so at this point I don't think I'll play the lottery and try to exchange for another set.  Although tbh, I'm a bit disappointed to have any issues with something I paid over $2K for.

The Olympics starts a couple of days before my 30 day return window and I'll have to see how this thing does with all motion on white snow and ice.

post #744 of 4195 Old 01-20-2014, 02:01 PM

Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm returning mine. The colors and depth of the picture is amazing but the banding is driving me nuts.

Is this a normal amount of banding for a 65" LED LCD?

(70% gray screen, backlight at 6)

post #745 of 4195 Old 01-20-2014, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have been reading great 4 & 5 star reviews from sites such as amazon, crutchfield, Sony store, best buy, abt, futureshop etc and haven't read any complaints like I have read here. I'm purchasing this set within a month and thinking that the issues here are not a concern to everyone. I'm going with those reviews as well as the great ones from this thread. Hard to believe that someone can be on their second or third set without thinking its something other than the tv itself.
post #746 of 4195 Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a service ticket opened with Sony for banding as well. Here's what mine looks like. The narrow light band in the middle of the left side is noticable while watching content.

Tell told me that if they decide to ship me a new one, technicians will actually open the box and check the tv. So I have my fingers crossed.

They have 7 business days to get back to me. If they decide not to replace it, I will still be within my 30 day return window at the store.
post #747 of 4195 Old 01-20-2014, 03:52 PM

Liked: 11
I returned my Samsung 7100 on Saturday and picked up the Sony 850a. The Sony puts the Samsung to shame. I am extremely happy with the set so far. All of my hd channels look really good and I watched Pacific Rim on Bluray and it looked amazing. The only thing I have to mess with is some of my sd channels have some weird mild static and my Fios on demand will not play.
post #748 of 4195 Old 01-20-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matriq View Post

Hi everyone,

I'm returning mine. The colors and depth of the picture is amazing but the banding is driving me nuts.

Is this a normal amount of banding for a 65" LED LCD?

(70% gray screen, backlight at 6)

mines about the same..

post #749 of 4195 Old 01-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Here are a few screen shots from my set. One is a medium gray and the other a darker gray. As I said before without the camera the grays look great and smooth with no dark areas or any banding. Seeing this like in the my second picture is not a concern to me as I never see any problems when watching TV or any pro games.

post #750 of 4195 Old 01-20-2014, 06:45 PM

You know, I swear if you guys had a beautiful woman naked in your bed you`d be busy checking her for skin imperfections.

LDBetaGuy, RickyU and deniesant like this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page