Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 28 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Sony 65W850a reviews

LCD Flat Panel Displays

WhiteSands's Avatar WhiteSands
07:03 PM Liked: 425
post #811 of 4498
01-25-2014 | Posts: 772
Joined: Sep 2013
The Panasonic VT-30 plasma set I bought in 2011 had 11 shades of gray. I read somewhere this W850 Sony set we have now has 5 shades of gray. Not bad for a LED set compared to a plasma. One of my disappointments with the plasma set was when watching a 3D movie their just was not enough brightness and the resulting colors looked drab. That's not so with the bright W850 Sony set. I found when watching my first 3D movie on the new Sony that I could open the picture settings now called 3D settings. The one called 3D glasses brightness so I set that from Auto to Full. Now the 3D picture was plenty bright enough and the colors looked great, so 3D on this set is killer good. If you have a 3D blu-ray player give it a try. Avatar 3D has some of the lower prices and has many outstanding 3D scenes.
,
RickyU's Avatar RickyU
09:08 PM Liked: 18
post #812 of 4498
01-25-2014 | Posts: 18
Joined: Dec 2013

Hi Razor,

 

I don't know if anyone answered your question, but i can share this with you. I don't work directly for Sony, however I do work for a marketing firm and am a Sony HD Specialist at a large independent retailer. As far as knowing how long these panels will be around, I can tell you that not even we get that information. But I am already sold out of the 50" R550, 47" W802 and the 40" R450. I can look at inventory one they and see that I have more units coming in and then the next day any given model can show discontinued with no more coming in. If I had to take an educated guess however, the Sony stores will probably have inventory later than anyone else. They still are showing stock on the 3 models I am out of. I hope this helps in someway.  

 

Regards, 

Rick


jpw16's Avatar jpw16
11:24 AM Liked: 16
post #813 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 64
Joined: Sep 2005
Looking to buy a 65" tv this week. Looking at F7100 or the Sony
kdl-65w850a. Anyone think the sony is a better deal? Used for
gaming on xbox and movie viewing.
newAVphile's Avatar newAVphile
11:34 AM Liked: 25
post #814 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 50
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw16 View Post

Looking to buy a 65" tv this week. Looking at F7100 or the Sony
kdl-65w850a. Anyone think the sony is a better deal? Used for
gaming on xbox and movie viewing.


I liked the Sony better, but they're both pretty good TVs, so I would suggest you try to check them out next to each other if you can, preferably check them out in a darker room.


CPMD's Avatar CPMD
12:11 PM Liked: 16
post #815 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 28
Joined: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmielea View Post


Wow, those waves look horrible...is this the norm for this TV? Can anyone else chip in?
deniesant's Avatar deniesant
12:26 PM Liked: 14
post #816 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 20
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMD View Post

Wow, those waves look horrible...is this the norm for this TV? Can anyone else chip in?
n

no waves here
chmielea's Avatar chmielea
12:28 PM Liked: 13
post #817 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 8
Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMD View Post


Wow, those waves look horrible...is this the norm for this TV? Can anyone else chip in?
 

 

to be clear i'm referring to the set of 3 crescent moon shaped shadows on the sides of the screen, not the green and red striped pattern that shows up on some of the pictures, those are just camera artifacts and not visible to the eye.  Watching the Winter Classic today I see the same sets of 3 shadows whenever the camera pans, one set on each side.


*UFO*'s Avatar *UFO*
01:24 PM Liked: 174
post #818 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 1,370
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmielea View Post

to be clear i'm referring to the set of 3 crescent moon shaped shadows on the sides of the screen, not the green and red striped pattern that shows up on some of the pictures, those are just camera artifacts and not visible to the eye.  Watching the Winter Classic today I see the same sets of 3 shadows whenever the camera pans, one set on each side.

I have seen this same defect on the LG 4k sets. It does not seem like a defect with the LCD, but rather a defect with the different backlight layers such as diffusers. Either way, completely unacceptable. I would contact Sony and get it fixed with the warranty.
Thelt2000x's Avatar Thelt2000x
02:59 PM Liked: 22
post #819 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 268
Joined: Nov 2012
Well.....I am a new owner of this TV. Pick it up on Wednesday. Spent 1 1/2 hours at best buy before finally deciding. I did see some clouding but no flash lighting. Man....I hope I made a good choice. I just want it to look good when watching TV in the dark. We shall see.........
AVmanic's Avatar AVmanic
04:21 PM Liked: 101
post #820 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 400
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Well.....I am a new owner of this TV. Pick it up on Wednesday. Spent 1 1/2 hours at best buy before finally deciding. I did see some clouding but no flash lighting. Man....I hope I made a good choice. I just want it to look good when watching TV in the dark. We shall see.........
Looking forward hearing what your thoughts are after you have some time with your new toy.. The wife and I are looking at the 65w850a as well. Or maybe the Sharp 70Q+ Best Buy has them in there site now and to be out in February. Anyway enjoy..

And Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
CPMD's Avatar CPMD
04:45 PM Liked: 16
post #821 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 28
Joined: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmielea View Post

to be clear i'm referring to the set of 3 crescent moon shaped shadows on the sides of the screen, not the green and red striped pattern that shows up on some of the pictures, those are just camera artifacts and not visible to the eye.  Watching the Winter Classic today I see the same sets of 3 shadows whenever the camera pans, one set on each side.

Yes, I am referring to the very obvious "crescent shaped" curves. It's really surprising to me how both of the sets you owned have this. Thanks for posting pictures of this defect. I would definitely contact Sony to have someone come out and examine the TV.
Erich79's Avatar Erich79
05:51 PM Liked: 11
post #822 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 6
Joined: Jan 2014
Go with the sony. I just returned the 7100 last week and got the w850a. It is a far better set than the samsung.
Thelt2000x's Avatar Thelt2000x
06:36 PM Liked: 22
post #823 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 268
Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich79 View Post

Go with the sony. I just returned the 7100 last week and got the w850a. It is a far better set than the samsung.

This is good to hear. What do you think the Sony does better in your opinion. I too had the 7100 and returned for the Sony. I pick it up Wednesday. I am hoping black levels, flashlighing and clouding.
esdeezy's Avatar esdeezy
08:04 PM Liked: 23
post #824 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 30
Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post


This is good to hear. What do you think the Sony does better in your opinion. I too had the 7100 and returned for the Sony. I pick it up Wednesday. I am hoping black levels, flashlighing and clouding.

You made a great choice! You'll be happy with the set once you tweak the settings. Try my settings on page 27. Out of the box stock settings is not too impressive but that's with most tvs.

 

The black levels are good and the triluminous tech makes the color pop.


Rlukas79's Avatar Rlukas79
08:38 PM Liked: 10
post #825 of 4498
01-26-2014 | Posts: 6
Joined: Jan 2014
I have the same issue with the crescent shaped bands on both sides of the screen. I went to two local best buy magnolia sections and each store's demo 65w850a had the same issue.

I'm an elite plus member and this set is going back. It's apparent this set has an issue that slipped by Sony's R and D.

This set was at the top of my price range. Looks like I will be returning for the 55w900a. I hate to decrease the screen size but my sanity will thank me.
Thelt2000x's Avatar Thelt2000x
05:59 AM Liked: 22
post #826 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 268
Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdeezy View Post

You made a great choice! You'll be happy with the set once you tweak the settings. Try my settings on page 27. Out of the box stock settings is not too impressive but that's with most tvs.

The black levels are good and the triluminous tech makes the color pop.

Hmm......backlight at 5? Is this because of clouding and flash lighting? Or because it is too bright?
newAVphile's Avatar newAVphile
06:21 AM Liked: 25
post #827 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 50
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Well.....I am a new owner of this TV. Pick it up on Wednesday. Spent 1 1/2 hours at best buy before finally deciding. I did see some clouding but no flash lighting. Man....I hope I made a good choice. I just want it to look good when watching TV in the dark. We shall see.........


Congratulations and good choice. You could not have done better with a LED/LCD in my opinion. A couple years ago there were better choices, but this year I didn't see a better LCD based TV. Just don't fall into the trap of being hypercritical of the set, remember that while its performance is stellar for an LCD, it's still an LCD and all other LCD's out there have the same (or worse) issues. FWIW, when I first got the set, I immediately watched a show on cable with lots of dark scenes and was discouraged by the performance. HOWEVER, after watching a few movies with lots of dark scenes on bluray, I realize that this TV does a great job with dark scenes (with proper settings), not plasma good, but very good. I think the poor quality signal from cable introduced a lot of noise in the dark scenes which made them look grey. Other than that initial experience, this TV has done nothing but prove that it is a capable TV considering the technology.


evoll88's Avatar evoll88
09:56 AM Liked: 26
post #828 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 75
Joined: Mar 2013
I have been reading reviews of this tv and read all the posts on here and I am considering buying this tv this week. I went to best buy to check it out and the only thing I noticed was it looks really dark (it was sitting next to a f8000 and f8500) which surprised me since it was in torch mode. The sales guy put on life of pi 3d so I could see how it looked but again it was very dark which made the movie look like it had no detail. Did anyone else notice this when they got their tv?? He said it was in the brightest setting which it looked way to dark for me and I own a plasma now so I don't want to regret buying it,thanks for any help on this tv.
Thelt2000x's Avatar Thelt2000x
10:41 AM Liked: 22
post #829 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 268
Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post

I have been reading reviews of this tv and read all the posts on here and I am considering buying this tv this week. I went to best buy to check it out and the only thing I noticed was it looks really dark (it was sitting next to a f8000 and f8500) which surprised me since it was in torch mode. The sales guy put on life of pi 3d so I could see how it looked but again it was very dark which made the movie look like it had no detail. Did anyone else notice this when they got their tv?? He said it was in the brightest setting which it looked way to dark for me and I own a plasma now so I don't want to regret buying it,thanks for any help on this tv.

Go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLCZsJdfSHs
newAVphile's Avatar newAVphile
10:41 AM Liked: 25
post #830 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 50
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post

I have been reading reviews of this tv and read all the posts on here and I am considering buying this tv this week. I went to best buy to check it out and the only thing I noticed was it looks really dark (it was sitting next to a f8000 and f8500) which surprised me since it was in torch mode. The sales guy put on life of pi 3d so I could see how it looked but again it was very dark which made the movie look like it had no detail. Did anyone else notice this when they got their tv?? He said it was in the brightest setting which it looked way to dark for me and I own a plasma now so I don't want to regret buying it,thanks for any help on this tv.

If you have a plasma now, from any company, the Sony will be brighter. I also noticed that it is not as bright as some other TV brands, but trust me that doesn't matter.Once you calibrate any of these LED/LCD TVs in your house they'll be close to the same brightness anyway. Bottom line is, this TV can go as bright as you need it to go by any reasonable standard.


evoll88's Avatar evoll88
12:11 PM Liked: 26
post #831 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 75
Joined: Mar 2013
Thanks for the replies and some good info on the youtube video. The only thing holding me back from ordering this tv today is I am curious to see if the new sony led sets will be better.
CPMD's Avatar CPMD
12:14 PM Liked: 16
post #832 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 28
Joined: Sep 2013
Can anyone explain the crescent shaped waves found on a few members TV's? I'm interested in this set, but I am worried about this. It looks like the 55w900 doesn't have this problem.
AVmanic's Avatar AVmanic
12:25 PM Liked: 101
post #833 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 400
Joined: Jan 2014
I downloaded the images above and used them on my Samsung E55 and I could see everything they did on the Sony. But I calibrated my Sammy.
I'm not putting down there tool because as I stated, I to am looking to buy the Sony w850a.
As far as brightness in store I spent about two hours at BB playing with setting and they even let me use my calibration tools on my thumb drive.

When I was done even the salesman was impressed. Sony has done a really great job with the w850a. It is now on the top of my list. Still going to wait and see what comes out in the weeks to come. But if you are ready to pull the trigger you can't go wrong at least in my eye.
newAVphile's Avatar newAVphile
02:29 PM Liked: 25
post #834 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 50
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post

Thanks for the replies and some good info on the youtube video. The only thing holding me back from ordering this tv today is I am curious to see if the new sony led sets will be better.


Honestly, if you can hold out, I'd wait, especially if you can afford their newest FALD. However if you're staying in the $2500 price range I would assume there isn't much benefit in waiting.


AVmanic's Avatar AVmanic
02:33 PM Liked: 101
post #835 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 400
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by newAVphile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post

Thanks for the replies and some good info on the youtube video. The only thing holding me back from ordering this tv today is I am curious to see if the new sony led sets will be better.


Honestly, if you can hold out, I'd wait, especially if you can afford their newest FALD. However if you're staying in the $2500 price range I would assume there isn't much benefit in waiting.


What is the newest FALD are you talking about the 950b?
Interested thanks...
newAVphile's Avatar newAVphile
03:14 PM Liked: 25
post #836 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 50
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic View Post


What is the newest FALD are you talking about the 950b?
Interested thanks...


Yes, I am referring to the 950b. There are also other TVs coming out with FALD (eg Vizio Reference), so 2014 should have a few awesome TVs. For me, I couldn't wait, so I got the w850a and I will upgrade to an OLED when they cost around $5-6k for a 60 inch or bigger and just put the w850a in my bedroom or something.


evoll88's Avatar evoll88
03:35 PM Liked: 26
post #837 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 75
Joined: Mar 2013
I was looking into the 950b also but it will prob. cost a lot when it first comes out so I am thinking the 850a is the best bang for the money now.
Cayloe's Avatar Cayloe
04:40 PM Liked: 22
post #838 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 49
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post

I was looking into the 950b also but it will prob. cost a lot when it first comes out so I am thinking the 850a is the best bang for the money now.
I spoke with a Sony rep from their website and he mentioned that the 65W950B would be less than $3k since the w900A is under $2500. I'm waiting for this release as well. He stated that it could be out before the end of February.
AVmanic's Avatar AVmanic
04:58 PM Liked: 101
post #839 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 400
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayloe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post

I was looking into the 950b also but it will prob. cost a lot when it first comes out so I am thinking the 850a is the best bang for the money now.
I spoke with a Sony rep from their website and he mentioned that the 65W950B would be less than $3k since the w900A is under $2500. I'm waiting for this release as well. He stated that it could be out before the end of February.

That would be great if it is but the 850b has prices now on Sony's site. And Best Buy has it listed as coming soon and if you click the link it has February dates. But there is no sign of pricing or coming soon anywhere for the 950B.
Hope your right about February but that makes me think different.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Cayloe's Avatar Cayloe
05:05 PM Liked: 22
post #840 of 4498
01-27-2014 | Posts: 49
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic View Post

That would be great if it is but the 850b has prices now on Sony's site. And Best Buy has it listed as coming soon and if you click the link it has February dates. But there is no sign of pricing or coming soon anywhere for the 950B.
Hope your right about February but that makes me think different.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I hope the rep is right. He seemed very knowledgeable. 1-877-865-SONY (7669)
Tags: Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led

Gear in this thread
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3