Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 4174 Old 02-01-2014, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Well....this tv is still leaving me perplexed about its lack of detail and clarity on my DirecTV. I went and watched a scene on my 5 year old LCD and noticed it to have more details. Specifically in the face. Netflix is really good in details. DirecTV is not. Again, it is like things are just not sharp. Looks dull. I have been able to fix everything on this TV except for this issue. Very weird and disappointing.
I don't have this set, but experienced similar problems...oddly enough with the F7100. Try turning down the contrast and any features that boost it. Idealy you would have settings for directv indepent of your other media if possible.

I am thinking about returning my F7100 and possibly going with the w850a. One reason I didn't go with it in the first place was the half inch shadows on either side of the screen. I've read about them, seen it first hand a few months ago, and also in some pics here. I'm just wondering if it's present on all screens and does it bother those of you who have the sets. Doesn't seem to, but I think I might be sensitive about it. Since my NX720 died and took over two months for them to tell me it wouldn't be fixed, I'm hesitant to be returning tvs and trying new ones only to have other issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4174 Old 02-01-2014, 03:00 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettzies View Post

I don't have this set, but experienced similar problems...oddly enough with the F7100. Try turning down the contrast and any features that boost it. Idealy you would have settings for directv indepent of your other media if possible.

I am thinking about returning my F7100 and possibly going with the w850a. One reason I didn't go with it in the first place was the half inch shadows on either side of the screen. I've read about them, seen it first hand a few months ago, and also in some pics here. I'm just wondering if it's present on all screens and does it bother those of you who have the sets. Doesn't seem to, but I think I might be sensitive about it. Since my NX720 died and took over two months for them to tell me it wouldn't be fixed, I'm hesitant to be returning tvs and trying new ones only to have other issues.

Why are you thinking about returning the f7100? And why not try the f8000? I am poking around the f8000 thread in case this TV does not work out. the shadows are a non factor for me. I am not even sure if i have them lol.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #993 of 4174 Old 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM

Anyone know how to change motion flow to clear and not have the screen dim?
post #994 of 4174 Old 02-01-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Anyone know how to change motion flow to clear and not have the screen dim?

The "clear" setting uses backlight scanning to make the image more "clear" during motion. The dimming of the screen is inherent to backlight scanning. You get smooth motion without frame interpolation, just like a plasma.
Thelt2000x and WhiteSands like this.
post #995 of 4174 Old 02-01-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Why are you thinking about returning the f7100? And why not try the f8000?
I'm not crazy about the dimming in VideoGames. It can range from moderately annoying, to, I can't see anything, to perfectly normal. I also have a minor cloud about 4-5 inches from the bottom right corner that shows up when that part of the screen is black. Mostly it is impreceptable, but I have to use the eco sensor at min 2 in movie mode and 7 in standard mode to make sure it doesn't show up. Otherwise, I quite like it and my not even return it. The F8000 won't fit on my cabinet with the edge to edge stand, it's also more expenise.

I just hate to be jumping from tv to tv, but I did really like the last Sony I had. The w850a would be the one I would want to get if I do switch.
WhiteSands and FixtSux like this.
post #996 of 4174 Old 02-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

Does anyone else have or notice this problem? Is it possible that my panel my be defective?

Very doubtful, you said in the message above.. Love the way Netflix looks. I think your talking here about streaming Netflix moves and they look good on your TV. So your panel should be ok.
This would put your problem back toward your HDMI input or cabling or Direct TV receiver. I have complained in the past and Dish mailed me a new DVR a few days later as a replacement. My problem was the digital audio being fuzzy from their DVR that went bad after years of use.

When I say HDMI input this would also include the more important circuit pack that has the inputs on it. Have you tried playing a blu-ray movie and try using each of the HDMI inputs to see if any look better then the others. Best if it's a movie with some outdoor sunlit scenes to make it easier to see if the picture clears up.
post #997 of 4174 Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Does anyone else have or notice this problem? Is it possible that my panel my be defective?

Usually a high quality display will show imperfections more than lower quality displays, so that may be the problem.
post #998 of 4174 Old 02-01-2014, 11:23 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks to all of you beautiful people for posting their useful reviews and comments here. I just ordered my KDL-65W850A at Best Buy for $2225. I was not planning to upgrade my TV now but a few days ago I came across the amazing reviews on KDL-55W900A and seeing that couple of sites have it for $1599, I decided to go for it. I went to my local Bestbuy yesterday and they agreed to price match. The KDL-55W900A was displayed there along side Samsung UN55F8000 and another two 60 " TVs. With just one look, I could tell the Sony W900A had much better color saturation and overall PQ. It was a clear winner, even though I liked some of the features in Samsung F8000 like the evolution kit. I was about to buy the W900A but then seeing it alongside 60 inch TV's I got a feeling that 55 inch may be a bit small for me. I live in a Condo and I had always thought that 60 inch and above would be too big for my living room. So I went back and did some research and came across the KDL-65W850A as a big brother of W900A with almost equal capabilities (Thanks to the many reviews I could find here and other sites like Amazon). I also did some calculations on my room size and viewing distance and decided to go for KDL-65W850A. Most retailers including Bestbuy and Amazon has it for $2499 + tax and offer a free Sony blu ray player(which is $79 at Amazon). I searched dealsites and saw that one retailer site has it for $2225. I called my local Bestbuy again and they agreed to price match, and an hour later I went to the store and placed the order. Unfortunately they didn't have one on display or in stock at the store. It will be delivered on 2/6 and I can't wait to see how it looks. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations and all the positive reviews that I am seeing. Cheers! wink.gif
post #999 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 AM

Liked: 13
Vino,

Great deal!

Which retailer has this price that you were able to get Bestbuy to price match?

It was my understanding that they only price match against authorized retailers and that all authorized retailers have to sell for the same price.
post #1000 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 09:10 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuonline View Post

Thanks to all of you beautiful people for posting their useful reviews and comments here. I just ordered my KDL-65W850A at Best Buy for $2225. I was not planning to upgrade my TV now but a few days ago I came across the amazing reviews on KDL-55W900A and seeing that couple of sites have it for $1599, I decided to go for it. I went to my local Bestbuy yesterday and they agreed to price match. The KDL-55W900A was displayed there along side Samsung UN55F8000 and another two 60 " TVs. With just one look, I could tell the Sony W900A had much better color saturation and overall PQ. It was a clear winner, even though I liked some of the features in Samsung F8000 like the evolution kit. I was about to buy the W900A but then seeing it alongside 60 inch TV's I got a feeling that 55 inch may be a bit small for me. I live in a Condo and I had always thought that 60 inch and above would be too big for my living room. So I went back and did some research and came across the KDL-65W850A as a big brother of W900A with almost equal capabilities (Thanks to the many reviews I could find here and other sites like Amazon). I also did some calculations on my room size and viewing distance and decided to go for KDL-65W850A. Most retailers including Bestbuy and Amazon has it for $2499 + tax and offer a free Sony blu ray player(which is $79 at Amazon). I searched dealsites and saw that one retailer site has it for $2225. I called my local Bestbuy again and they agreed to price match, and an hour later I went to the store and placed the order. Unfortunately they didn't have one on display or in stock at the store. It will be delivered on 2/6 and I can't wait to see how it looks. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations and all the positive reviews that I am seeing. Cheers! wink.gif

I know exactly where you're coming from with the F8000 vs. W900A/W850A comparison.  My local Best Buy Magnolia room runs a 65" F8000 right next to a 65" W850A showing identical content all day long.  If I was a Samsung rep I'd ask Magnolia to move the F8000 to a different area of the store so that it wasn't in such close proximity to the W850A because it really only takes about 10 seconds to realize how superior the W850A picture is to the F8000.  I honestly, don't know how they even sell F8000s at that particular store.  Couple that with the fact that the W850A is significantly less expensive and it simply boggles the mind that anyone would spend their hard earned money on the F8000.  Like anything though we all have our personal preferences and some people probably honestly prefer the picture of the F8000, or maybe they just like taking pictures of themselves with the pop-up camera or something.  Each to his own I suppose.  Hope you enjoy your new TV when it arrives.

post #1001 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Well....this tv is still leaving me perplexed about its lack of detail and clarity on my DirecTV. I went and watched a scene on my 5 year old LCD and noticed it to have more details. Specifically in the face. Netflix is really good in details. DirecTV is not. Again, it is like things are just not sharp. Looks dull. I have been able to fix everything on this TV except for this issue. Very weird and disappointing. I did not notice this on my f7100 before I returned it however, I was already checked out because of the horrible flash lighting and clouding.

P.S I have switched HDMI cables and ports to try to see if this was the issue but didn't work. just seem tobe missing the crispness of the picture.

I'm not sure how the DirectTV options work but with Verizon FiOS there is an option to set the HD boxes to either 720p or 1080i.  Do you know for certain if your box is set to 1080i?  On a 65" TV the difference in picture quality between 1080 and 720 would be noticeable.

post #1002 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 09:37 AM

Liked: 10

I've had my 850a for a week now and have seen the dreaded crescent shaped waves as well on mine. You can see them if you go to the I Manual index page and they get more noticeable as you go off center to either side. Straight on they are more tolerable. On some scenes where there is a light background such as a sky or commercial you can sometimes notice it. 

Is this a common issue among most owners or is this limited to certain build dates or panels? My set was built in Nov 2013.

I've been in contact with Amazon and they have been nice so far. If I return my TV for another one will just end up with the same issue on the new one? 

I posted an FAQ on the Amazon site and most responses say they don't see it. One response said they didn't see it but then they did the I Manual test and they saw it for the first time.

This is my first post on this forum and this is a great forum.

post #1003 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bone View Post

I've had my 850a for a week now and have seen the dreaded crescent shaped waves as well on mine. You can see them if you go to the I Manual index page and they get more noticeable as you go off center to either side. Straight on they are more tolerable. On some scenes where there is a light background such as a sky or commercial you can sometimes notice it. 

Is this a common issue among most owners or is this limited to certain build dates or panels? My set was built in Nov 2013.

I've been in contact with Amazon and they have been nice so far. If I return my TV for another one will just end up with the same issue on the new one? 

I posted an FAQ on the Amazon site and most responses say they don't see it. One response said they didn't see it but then they did the I Manual test and they saw it for the first time.

Just tried the manual and have zero crescent waves. Dec built. I would try another set. I have never seen this on my set
post #1004 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:

You used the term crescent shaped "waves".  Do you really have waves or is it just the crescent shaped areas that are very slightly darker than the rest of the screen on a white or bright background screen?  I ask because so far I've only seen one still picture from an owner that truly appears to have "waves" that look 3 dimensional on his screen.  However, I personally think the "flat" crescent shaped areas of slight darkness are inherent to just about every W850A.  My TV was built in October and it has them and others who have posted still pics on this forum seem to have them as well.  When people tell you they don't have them it's more than likely due to the fact that they just aren't sensitive to that type of screen uniformity problem.  I noticed them pretty early on in my set but honestly they are extremely faint.  I'm somewhat obsessive by nature and even I do not find that the crescents decrease my enjoyment of this TV.  I have also never felt compelled to return this TV the way I have had to return various other manufacturer's TV's in the past for what I considered problems that were significant enough to decrease my enjoyment of watching those particular TV's.

If perfect screen uniformity under all conditions is one of your primary requirements though you might want to consider a plasma (just be very careful to never leave it on a station showing a static logo for long or you'll risk image retention/burn-in).  Or wait for OLED to be perfected and come down in price.

post #1005 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 10:16 AM

They are crescent shapes rather than waves. Here are some examples of what I'm seeing:

Ironically these images are from the Sony Movie Channel so it's fitting they illustrate the issue.

post #1006 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 10:32 AM

On the first image ignore the moire pattern on center-left that is a camera artifact. The dark-light bands are on the right side.

post #1007 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
B2bone. Both sets I had also demonstrated that light pattern. As jack pointed out majority if not all have some of that banding - maybe some more severe than others (and some noticing it more than others) but from my experience it's unlikely you'll get another set that doesn't exhibit that issue. If it bothers you I would look towards another TV or wait until sonys 2014 models come out and see how they work out.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
post #1008 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They are crescent shapes rather than waves. Here are some examples of what I'm seeing:

Ironically these images are from the Sony Movie Channel so it's fitting they illustrate the issue.

Their is nothing wrong with your TV. I can see some very slight banding when looking at the i-manual and that's it. I don't see any when watching regular TV shows or blu-ray movies. On bright white scenes and 'using a camera' no telling what imperfections you may see. Without the camera I only see a all white screen as it should be on my set.

You mention your source if from the Sony Movie Channel. It don't matter what your source is if it's a white screen coming from a legit signal source. Again you should see a white screen unless 'when using a camera' your going to see some screen problems. I don't see any reason to be looking for problems that don't exist when normally watching your TV. I would not worry about seeing a little banding when viewing the i-manual. Like Jack says, they haven't built us a perfect TV just yet.
post #1009 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuonline View Post

Thanks to all of you beautiful people for posting their useful reviews and comments here. I just ordered my KDL-65W850A at Best Buy for $2225. I was not planning to upgrade my TV now but a few days ago I came across the amazing reviews on KDL-55W900A and seeing that couple of sites have it for $1599, I decided to go for it. I went to my local Bestbuy yesterday and they agreed to price match.

Most retailers including Bestbuy and Amazon has it for $2499 + tax and offer a free Sony blu ray player(which is $79 at Amazon). I searched dealsites and saw that one retailer site has it for $2225. I called my local Bestbuy again and they agreed to price match, and an hour later I went to the store and placed the order. Unfortunately they didn't have one on display or in stock at the store. It will be delivered on 2/6 and I can't wait to see how it looks. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations and all the positive reviews that I am seeing. Cheers! wink.gif

I did some searching and found pricefalls has this set at $2229.07 plus $83.97 estimated shipping. Abe's of Maine is selling this set for $2225 and in another price search Abe's shows it for $2210. Abe's return policy is non existent anything over a 24" set if you read their details. You were sure lucky to get a price match on your set from Best Buy. Amazon gives 14 day price match after the day the set is shipped only if it's a Sony authorized dealer. I'm not sure how Best Buy or Costco does their price matching for comprison.

I also checked Amazons long list of Big Screen TV Authorized Dealers and Abe's of Maine and Pricefalls are not listed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-2?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201133230&qid=1387420541&sr=1-2
post #1010 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynodon View Post

Vino,

Great deal!

Which retailer has this price that you were able to get Bestbuy to price match?

It was my understanding that they only price match against authorized retailers and that all authorized retailers have to sell for the same price.

For the 55W900A, Buydig and J&R both had for $1599, guess they still do. When J&R charges for shipping, buydig has no tax and no shipping(you need to proceed to checkout to see the price). Both are authorized Sony dealers which I verified from Sony website. For 65W850A, as Whitesands mentioned above, Abes of Maine has it for $2225 and I don't think they are authorized Sony dealers, so I was surprised when the manager at my local BB agreed to price match them. My guess is that, since new models are coming out they may be expecting further price cut on these.
post #1011 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I guess I'm lucky. I got it on special for $1999. In Canada! I haven't seen it at that price since.
post #1012 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton1986 View Post

I know exactly where you're coming from with the F8000 vs. W900A/W850A comparison.  My local Best Buy Magnolia room runs a 65" F8000 right next to a 65" W850A showing identical content all day long.  If I was a Samsung rep I'd ask Magnolia to move the F8000 to a different area of the store so that it wasn't in such close proximity to the W850A because it really only takes about 10 seconds to realize how superior the W850A picture is to the F8000.  I honestly, don't know how they even sell F8000s at that particular store.  Couple that with the fact that the W850A is significantly less expensive and it simply boggles the mind that anyone would spend their hard earned money on the F8000.  Like anything though we all have our personal preferences and some people probably honestly prefer the picture of the F8000, or maybe they just like taking pictures of themselves with the pop-up camera or something.  Each to his own I suppose.  Hope you enjoy your new TV when it arrives.

I agree with you, it's personal preference. Samsung color pops out, with the yellow side of the palette more predominant. It's like when I take pictures on my Nikon D90 with the cloudy white balance and vivid mode on. Some people prefer that look. I felt that the Sony color is more natural and more importantly easy on your eyes. That is a very important factor when it comes to hours of viewing. If you really want to see the difference between these TV's(and I 'm saying from W900A side since I couldn't see W850A at the store), you should compare the blue's and the skin tones. I don't know if proper calibration would yield such eye pleasing results from Samsung, may be, may be not.
post #1013 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

I did some searching and found pricefalls has this set at $2229.07 plus $83.97 estimated shipping. Abe's of Maine is selling this set for $2225 and in another price search Abe's shows it for $2210. Abe's return policy is non existent anything over a 24" set if you read their details. You were sure lucky to get a price match on your set from Best Buy. Amazon gives 14 day price match after the day the set is shipped only if it's a Sony authorized dealer. I'm not sure how Best Buy or Costco does their price matching for comprison.

I also checked Amazons long list of Big Screen TV Authorized Dealers and Abe's of Maine and Pricefalls are not listed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-2?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201133230&qid=1387420541&sr=1-2

Since you mentioned about amazon, I will share an interesting experience I had with amazon which i didn't care to include in my previous post. 5 days ago I first ordered 55W900A through Amazon. They had it for $1789 + tax and 2% rewards back. After placing the order, the next day I found the price of $1599+ $99 shipping+ no tax with J&R. I called Amazon and the guy said they can price match only $1688 ($1599+$99shipping) , and finally I went for it. That evening I found that buydig has it for $1599+ no shipping + no tax. I called amazon again, but they refused to price match again as their policy allows only one price match. I talked with couple of different reps with the same result. I cancelled that order and went to BB. I have always considered Amazon as one of the best store to buy stuff online with their hassle free returns and all, and I still do. But this definitely was not the best experience with them.
post #1014 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 02:51 PM

Liked: 13
What area are you in?

My local Best Buy said NO frown.gif
post #1015 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 04:25 PM

for those who purchased the w series, why did you pick it over the xbr 4k tv? what are the differences between xbr series and w series?

post #1016 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1000 View Post

for those who purchased the w series, why did you pick it over the xbr 4k tv? what are the differences between xbr series and w series?

everything is the same except for the 4k resolution and for me spending $2000 more is not worth for now cause there is only little content to view in 4k.
post #1017 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynodon View Post

What area are you in?

My local Best Buy said NO frown.gif

I'm in Middleton, WI. I guess each store manager makes his own decision then. Why don't you try out couple of nearby BBs?
post #1018 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniesant View Post

everything is the same except for the 4k resolution and for me spending $2000 more is not worth for now cause there is only little content to view in 4k.

Same here, I heard before you can only see the difference between a 1080i and 4K set if your only within a couple feet from the screens.
post #1019 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1000 View Post

XBR sets are all now 4K.
post #1020 of 4174 Old 02-02-2014, 05:34 PM

Liked: 29
Hi guys! I would just like to thank WhiteSands and JackBurton1986 for all the helpful info. I have owned this set for over 3 weeks now. I live in Ontario Canada and for the money there is no other tv that comes close. The samsung f8000 and f8500 plasma are 1200 and 1000 more respectively. I bought mine on Boxing Day for 1999.99 + tax, total price of 2300.00 with delivery and two year warranty. The picture on this tv is incredible. The best 3D I have ever seen. The best motion for sports I have ever seen. Yes this panel is not perfect. There is ever so slight banding on panning shots against white backgrounds. If you are watching the content and not tirelessly trying to find fault you will not notice it. Hockey is the only instance where this was slightly annoying for me and after calibrating it no longer bothers me. I will speak to the bullseye that few are experiencing. I went out to future shop and best buy and both had this model on display. Both showed the bullseye during content. Both had the hdmi input on MHL 2. I have never seen the bullseye on my set. WhiteSands brought this up many pages back and I think hdmi input is an issue when viewing instore. I am writing because I think we need more people talking about how good this set is. The depth of colour and motion handling alone is an incredible value in my option. Thank you again to all the people that contribute to this feed.
Cayloe and deniesant like this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page