AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Sony 65W850a reviews

LCD Flat Panel Displays

WhiteSands's Avatar WhiteSands
04:50 AM Liked: 425
post #91 of 4495
10-16-2013 | Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cg006 View Post

I had a feeling the tv would not match the w900a..but im kind of in the same boat... this tv is going to the living room... 55" wont cut it.
Are you able to compare it to the F8000?

No I have never seen the Samsung F8000 set to compare. I noticed the 65" F8000 cost $500 more than the w850a. We only have a Super Walmart to view many TVs and most are near economy models. I do my shopping online reading reviews for a few months and then buying the better sets from Amazon.
05:25 AM Liked: 425
post #92 of 4495
Thought I would take a picture of the set in the living room. It looked best with my wife holding her Baco 61 bright LED battery light at a angle to the TV to prevent any light reflections. The Baco blue LEDs made the wall look blue and kind of neat. That may make a nice backcolor for watching TV. The wood boards you see on the wall was a project to mount a black sheet to make the wall dark in the dim lit room to help enhance the TV picture when watching movies. This was a few years ago and we never got around to buying the black sheet due to my wife's usual objection.

I posted a few more pictures showing this sets great blacks and you can see them near the bottom of page 3 in this same thread. I repeated this short message again in a single post below to alert others of my last two pictures even better pictures from this set.

I use two subwoofers for my 7.2 home theater setup. Their visible on each side of the TV cabinet. You can see the wires I use to set up a TV network around the various rooms to the other sets. My wife uses throw rugs to cover the many HDMI cables.

I placed two smooth textured bakelite boards seen in the picture (from a home improvement store) duct taped together underneath and placed down on the carpet under the TV Stand to sit on. This makes it easy to pull it out from the wall at least on the left end in my case for working behind to connect or move HDMI cables or speaker plugs to the home theater unit.

I have posted plenty of pictures so this may be my last picture.

dbl left click the picture below for a larger view.

congster's Avatar congster
05:50 AM Liked: 17
post #93 of 4495
10-16-2013 | Posts: 57
Thanks, is it possible to take some side angle pictures to illustrate the extent or flashlighting or clouding?

Something like this above on my 60F7100
06:15 AM Liked: 425
post #94 of 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by congster View Post

Thanks, is it possible to take some side angle pictures to illustrate the extent or flashlighting or clouding?

Something like this above on my 60F7100

Ok on the picture of your TV and some clouding/ flashlighting in the upper left corner while viewing at a angle. My wife's blu-ray movie just ended in the living room. Luckily I got up just in time to view a full fade to black scene while looking at the living room TV at a rather steep angle from the doorway of my computer room. I saw no clouding or flashing. In a few days I may try using the camera again this time at a steep angle just to see if any shows up.
06:53 AM Liked: 425
post #95 of 4495
Anyone interested, I posted a few more impressive pictures near the bottom of page 3 in this same thread, if you want to take a look. I still can't get over the deep blacks and picture quality this set can produce when set to Vivid. I would say it's as good on blacks as the 55" Panasonic plasma set I bought a few years ago.

I just got some news from the Amazon people. I kept reading, I thought Amazon gave a 14 day price guarantee. Now i'm told it's 7 days and they won't match another web site TV dealers price. She did tell me to watch the price on their Amazon site for this same set and if it's lower they will match the new price and will credit me the difference. I ask again is this only for 7 days. She said to call anyway and they may match the lower price past the 7 days.

Kind of confusing. I also found out the 30 days to order the square trade extended warranty starts the day the TV is shipped from their warehouse. In my case it only took 4 days to receive the TV. I got my google calender marked 3 or so days early to order the Sq Trade 5-year ext warranty from amazon.

update:
I also read on the Amazon site it's 14 days and not 7.
Cg006's Avatar Cg006
08:46 AM Liked: 19
post #96 of 4495
10-16-2013 | Posts: 65
Well... their wording is confusing.. this i directly from amazons hyperlink when viewing this tv when you click on "Learn More" about price guarantee. I think you should still be able to price match or say you may send it back ::

About the TV Low Price Guarantee

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=amtrew_lm_lpg?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200726210&pop-up=1

The TV Low Price Guarantee applies to televisions that are sold and fulfilled by Amazon.com.
If you find a lower price on another qualifying retailer within 14 days after the date we ship your order, let us know and we'll credit your original payment method taking any differences in shipping and promotions into account. If we lower our own price within 14 days after we ship your TV, let us know and we'll refund you the difference as well.

You can request a refund for the price difference by clicking Order Details and Found a lower price? on your Order Summary page in Your Account. If you have questions or concerns, click Contact Us on the right side of any Help page to contact Customer Service about the TV Low Price Guarantee. You'll receive an e-mail response within 24 hours.

Note: See all Terms & Conditions and a list of qualifying retailers to ensure that your order qualifies for the guarantee.
Ace of Space's Avatar Ace of Space
08:49 AM Liked: 12
post #97 of 4495
10-16-2013 | Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Just to make a clarification, I now understand why this tv was given the w850 model name instead of extending the w900 line. Seeing both side by side, the w900a for sure looks better. There are also a few very important differences. For starters, the w850 utilizes a 120hz native panel, while the w900 uses a native 240hz panel. Another major difference is the panel type. It is very obvious that these panel are not cut from the same cloth. The w850 has a washed out look compared to the w900 (despite changing settings). The w850 is a great tv for the price, but the w900 has an obvious win in picture quality. I was very disappointed when I saw Sony was releasing this tv because I wanted some thing bigger than the 55" w900, but if I had to choose now id still get the w900 over the w850.

That's disappointing about the screen looking washed out. I guess that's the difference between the deep black panel used in the W900 and the mystery panel being used in the W850.
09:07 AM Liked: 425
post #98 of 4495
Quote:

Well... their wording is confusing.. this i directly from amazons hyperlink when viewing this tv when you click on "Learn More" about price guarantee. I think you should still be able to price match or say you may send it back ::

About the TV Low Price Guarantee

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=amtrew_lm_lpg?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200726210&pop-up=1

The TV Low Price Guarantee applies to televisions that are sold and fulfilled by Amazon.com.
If you find a lower price on another qualifying retailer within 14 days after the date we ship your order, let us know and we'll credit your original payment method taking any differences in shipping and promotions into account. If we lower our own price within 14 days after we ship your TV, let us know and we'll refund you the difference as well.

You can request a refund for the price difference by clicking Order Details and Found a lower price? on your Order Summary page in Your Account. If you have questions or concerns, click Contact Us on the right side of any Help page to contact Customer Service about the TV Low Price Guarantee. You'll receive an e-mail response within 24 hours.

Note: See all Terms & Conditions and a list of qualifying retailers to ensure that your order qualifies for the guarantee.

This is great information and thank you very much. I think the lady I talked to over the phone was misinformed.

Sands
DaverJ's Avatar DaverJ
09:37 AM Liked: 664
post #99 of 4495
10-16-2013 | Posts: 6,798
Quote:

Just to make a clarification, I now understand why this tv was given the w850 model name instead of extending the w900 line. Seeing both side by side, the w900a for sure looks better. There are also a few very important differences. For starters, the w850 utilizes a 120hz native panel, while the w900 uses a native 240hz panel. Another major difference is the panel type. It is very obvious that these panel are not cut from the same cloth. The w850 has a washed out look compared to the w900 (despite changing settings). The w850 is a great tv for the price, but the w900 has an obvious win in picture quality. I was very disappointed when I saw Sony was releasing this tv because I wanted some thing bigger than the 55" w900, but if I had to choose now id still get the w900 over the w850.

UFO - can you elaborate? Where did you see the two sets side-by-side, and were they displaying the same image with comparable settings?
Ahzari's Avatar Ahzari
09:40 AM Liked: 38
post #100 of 4495
10-16-2013 | Posts: 260
Just called Amazon as well, thought id try my luck with price matching. They said they only price match with a specific list of retailers and pcm is not one of them..

link to the list is here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201133230

Just a note though, Amazon offers 2% back "in rewards" so that knocks off about $50. 35 days after the purchase they e-mail you a code good for 2% of your purchase to spend back on Amazon. Not much but enough to buy a couple of movies with..
Cg006's Avatar Cg006
09:47 AM Liked: 19
post #101 of 4495
PCM IS PCMall

if you go to PCMALL.com it redirects you now to PCM.com

Do a online chat. and give them the links.. heres a copy of mt conversation... no resistance whatsoever. they just did it. best of luck!

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
Cg006's Avatar Cg006
09:56 AM Liked: 19
post #102 of 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post

Just called Amazon as well, thought id try my luck with price matching. They said they only price match with a specific list of retailers and pcm is not one of them..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201133230

Just a note though, Amazon offers 2% back "in rewards" so that knocks off about $50. 35 days after the purchase they e-mail you a code good for 2% of your purchase to spend back on Amazon. Not much but enough to buy a couple of movies with..

Almost enough to get an overpriced Monster HDMI cable lmao

Hmm... Seriously though... with that 2 percent i will put it towards an extra ps4 or xboxone game smile.gif
Ahzari's Avatar Ahzari
09:57 AM Liked: 38
post #103 of 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

Ok on the picture of your TV and some clouding/ flashlighting in the upper left corner while viewing at a angle. My wife's blu-ray movie just ended in the living room. Luckily I got up just in time to view a full fade to black scene while looking at the living room TV at a rather steep angle from the doorway of my computer room. I saw no clouding or flashing. In a few days I may try using the camera again this time at a steep angle just to see if any shows up.

On my set I do notice some flashlighting at an angle.. the sweet spot for the TV is enough for my whole couch and the screen is black (and I have a large L shaped) but stepping out of the sweet spot i do notice a vertical light strip on the left (havent checked the right). Since ill be watching tv from the sweet spot all the time, not too worried about this.

Note no clouding like the Samsung, I had that same TV (7100) and had awful clouding all over the screen (middle and corners), I was considering the F8000 but there were too many negative comments regarding the same screen uniformity issues with that set, in addition they jam a bunch of features in top end samsungs that ill never use, id rather my money go for a excellent panel and not the the apps/internet/camera/voice command etc. I also think the 7100 was 240hz, so far the Sony is doing a better job of handling fast scenes at 120hz.
Cg006's Avatar Cg006
10:01 AM Liked: 19
post #104 of 4495
Quote:

On my set I do notice some flashlighting at an angle.. the sweet spot for the TV is enough for my whole couch and the screen is black (and I have a large L shaped) but stepping out of the sweet spot i do notice a vertical light strip on the left (havent checked the right). Since ill be watching tv from the sweet spot all the time, not too worried about this.

Note no clouding like the Samsung, I had that same TV (7100) and had awful clouding all over the screen (middle and corners), I was considering the F8000 but there were too many negative comments regarding the same screen uniformity issues with that set, in addition they jam a bunch of features in top end samsungs that ill never use, id rather my money go for a excellent panel and not the the apps/internet/camera/voice command etc. I also think the 7100 was 240hz, so far the Sony is doing a better job of handling fast scenes at 120hz.

you pretty much described why i also was avoiding samsung LEDS. I keep reading alot of negative stuff with their panels as of late with screen uniformity etc. Hope i get a good set.

The plasma i had 8500 seems to have no issues... but thats diferent
YOTR's Avatar YOTR
10:02 AM Liked: 26
post #105 of 4495
10-16-2013 | Posts: 1,530
Quote:

I would call again. PCM is on their approved list (PCM=PC Mall). I just called and got them to price match their price. Plus I got the rewards you mentioned. On a side note, Crutchfield has it in stock and shipping now. I figured I would just use Amazon since it is a bit cheaper with the price match plus the rewards which helps. I was battling between this set, the W900A, a close out 950, and a Elite lcd. Honestly I wanted the FALD of the 950/Elite but I can't justify that much money. I probably could have delt with 55" but I really wanted a 60" (that's what my old Kuro was) so that ruled out the W900. I always remember the old saying not to downgrade in TV size and the price gap wasn't big between the two. I don't expect plasma blacks but hopefully they are decent. I am still worried about flashlighting/clouding because I have had to deal wit that before with LCD's minus the Elite tv. If this set can just tied me over for a few years until OLED becomes affordable, I will be more than happy.
YOTR's Avatar YOTR
10:03 AM Liked: 26
post #106 of 4495
Quote:

PCM IS PCMall

if you go to PCMALL.com it redirects you now to PCM.com

Do a online chat. and give them the links.. heres a copy of mt conversation... no resistance whatsoever. they just did it. best of luck!

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

That's how my price match went. He looked at the site and said it was no problem to match the price. Quick and easy.
KYARN's Avatar KYARN
10:24 AM Liked: 10
post #107 of 4495
10-16-2013 | Posts: 1

I did chat for my price match as well and it went smoothly.  Just wish I had done it on the front end as opposed to the back end and it would have saved a few bucks on the Square Trade warranty too.

YOTR's Avatar YOTR
10:25 AM Liked: 26
post #108 of 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYARN View Post

I did chat for my price match as well and it went smoothly.  Just wish I had done it on the front end as opposed to the back end and it would have saved a few bucks on the Square Trade warranty too.

Just buy the 3 year square trade costco warranty on their site. It's way cheaper than even going through squaretrade for your warranty.
gui3's Avatar gui3
10:31 AM Liked: 14
post #109 of 4495
10-16-2013 | Posts: 75
Quote:

This is interesting to see...I'm trying to decide between F8000 / F7100 / W850A.
I have gone through the F8000 thread and I don't remember seeing complaints about screen uniformity.
Goofy software features aside, The F8000 should have a better picture than the 7100, since the 8000 has local dimming. Cnet loved the F8000's picture.

With no reviews out on the 850A i'm having trouble leaning towards it just yet. My Samsung C8000 plasma was a monster when it came out, but over the next two years a 195-page thread developed documenting its persistent problems. At least with the Samsung, there is information out there.
YOTR's Avatar YOTR
10:47 AM Liked: 26
post #110 of 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by gui3 View Post

This is interesting to see...I'm trying to decide between F8000 / F7100 / W850A.
I have gone through the F8000 thread and I don't remember seeing complaints about screen uniformity.
Goofy software features aside, The F8000 should have a better picture than the 7100, since the 8000 has local dimming. Cnet loved the F8000's picture.

With no reviews out on the 850A i'm having trouble leaning towards it just yet. My Samsung C8000 plasma was a monster when it came out, but over the next two years a 195-page thread developed documenting its persistent problems. At least with the Samsung, there is information out there.

You can find issues with any display. I have read quite a few posts about banding with the F8000 series (it is common though on most lcd's 60" and greater). Even my Elite LCD that I had a few months ago had a few big issues in my book considering how much I payed. I have nothing against Samsung but I have seen enough negative posts across the board on this site alone that makes me think twice about purchasing one of their televisions. Sony, Sharp, etc have problems also so could have just as many issues with them.
10:51 AM Liked: 17
post #111 of 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by gui3 View Post

7100 also came with their faux local dimming, only less zones.
*UFO*'s Avatar *UFO*
10:56 AM Liked: 174
post #112 of 4495
10-16-2013 | Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

So many new posts eek.gif Anyways, you can not check for flash lighting on a full black scene. The tv is essentially "off" at this point. To check for flashlighting (which every LCD will have), display a full black image with just a little bit of white. You will see that when you move side to side, certain parts of the screen will "glow", and that when you are dead on center, the screen will appear completely uniform (or at least is should). This is just a limitation of LCD tech, not a defect. Even the high end x900 and sharp elite suffer from this. It was also perfectly obvious in the store. Also, I am not talking about the triluminous tech being different in the w900 vs w850. I am talking about the difference in actual LCD panels. The panel used in the w900 is a supreme panel of the highest quality. By far the best VA panel my eyes have seen. The panel on the w850 looks just like a typical VA panel. I am not saying the w850 is bad, because it isnt. In fact, its a great tv for the price. If anyone who already has this tv wants to do a test for me, go to the service menu and find out what the panel model number is. That will remove much of the mystery as to why there is a drastic difference in image quality between the panels.
11:19 AM Liked: 17
post #113 of 4495
Quote:

So many new posts eek.gif Anyways, you can not check for flash lighting on a full black scene. The tv is essentially "off" at this point. To check for flashlighting (which every LCD will have), display a full black image with just a little bit of white. You will see that when you move side to side, certain parts of the screen will "glow", and that when you are dead on center, the screen will appear completely uniform (or at least is should). This is just a limitation of LCD tech, not a defect. Even the high end x900 and sharp elite suffer from this. It was also perfectly obvious in the store. Also, I am not talking about the triluminous tech being different in the w900 vs w850. I am talking about the difference in actual LCD panels. The panel used in the w900 is a supreme panel of the highest quality. By far the best VA panel my eyes have seen. The panel on the w850 looks just like a typical VA panel. I am not saying the w850 is bad, because it isnt. In fact, its a great tv for the price. If anyone who already has this tv wants to do a test for me, go to the service menu and find out what the panel model number is. That will remove much of the mystery as to why there is a drastic difference in image quality between the panels.

Curious as to the basis of your comment viz that the panel on the 850A looks just like a typical VA panel, and the comparison with w900A. Did u make a side by side comparison in a store?
jetjocky's Avatar jetjocky
01:02 PM Liked: 29
post #114 of 4495
10-16-2013 | Posts: 147
Quote:

Ufo.. Since you ask someone to test the panel, yet you make unequivocal statements about the w850 panel, you under cut your own position. I don't have a position one way or the other because I have not seen the w850 on display yet. Maybe you should be more specific about your position that the w900 is a supreme panel, I look forward to learning your rational.
Ahzari's Avatar Ahzari
01:10 PM Liked: 38
post #115 of 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

That's how my price match went. He looked at the site and said it was no problem to match the price. Quick and easy.

So tried calling - they wanted to include shipping in PCMalls price and refund me less.. Went to check if PCMall had coupons or something for shipping (the didnt) went back and called Amazon again, new guy didnt even care refunded me based on the listed price ignored the shipping cost. Thanks for posting that (can't believe I missed PCM = PCMall - Amazon needs to update their listing).

In regards to the F8000 (gui3), I remember seeing quiet a few reviews on Amazon regarding screen uniformity issues - I hadnt looked at AVS threads cause at the time I wasnt that interested in the F8000. Just based on my personal experiences with Samsung and having a few relatives and friends have much better experiences with Sonys I decided on the W850 and so far so good. Picture doesnt blow me away, but then again I havent had a TV picture blow me away since the first time I ever saw a 120hz 1080p Samsung at Best Buy. My main concerns with a TV purchase were screen uniformity and black levels and the 850 really delivers in those two areas.
YOTR's Avatar YOTR
01:26 PM Liked: 26
post #116 of 4495
Quote:

So tried calling - they wanted to include shipping in PCMalls price and refund me less.. Went to check if PCMall had coupons or something for shipping (the didnt) went back and called Amazon again, new guy didnt even care refunded me based on the listed price ignored the shipping cost. Thanks for posting that (can't believe I missed PCM = PCMall - Amazon needs to update their listing).

In regards to the F8000 (gui3), I remember seeing quiet a few reviews on Amazon regarding screen uniformity issues - I hadnt looked at AVS threads cause at the time I wasnt that interested in the F8000. Just based on my personal experiences with Samsung and having a few relatives and friends have much better experiences with Sonys I decided on the W850 and so far so good. Picture doesnt blow me away, but then again I havent had a TV picture blow me away since the first time I ever saw a 120hz 1080p Samsung at Best Buy. My main concerns with a TV purchase were screen uniformity and black levels and the 850 really delivers in those two areas.

I'm glad it worked out for you with the price match. Sometimes it depends on who you get on the phone when you call. I also noticed that pc mall charged for shipping. Glad they didn't see that for me either, lol.

How are the speakers on the tv? I read about them being better than normal tv speakers on sony's website. I plan on getting a sound bar possibly down the road but I want to keep it simple with my kids running around smile.gif. I assume they are not front facing speakers?

Also, is the black border around the front of the tv glossy or does it just look that way in the pictures?

Thanks in advance!
Ahzari's Avatar Ahzari
01:46 PM Liked: 38
post #117 of 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

I'm glad it worked out for you with the price match. Sometimes it depends on who you get on the phone when you call. I also noticed that pc mall charged for shipping. Glad they didn't see that for me either, lol.

How are the speakers on the tv? I read about them being better than normal tv speakers on sony's website. I plan on getting a sound bar possibly down the road but I want to keep it simple with my kids running around smile.gif. I assume they are not front facing speakers?

Also, is the black border around the front of the tv glossy or does it just look that way in the pictures?

Thanks in advance!

Black boarder around the picture is glossy (on the sides its a matte silver textured finish) - the black boarder hasnt been a distraction (so far) guess it depends on the way the light may reflect on it.

The speakers are actually pretty excellent for a LCD TV, you can actually hear (not feel) the bass in speech and action movies quite well. For day to day TV watching its great, if you want to watch movies and sports a soundbar will be a good investment.
*UFO*'s Avatar *UFO*
01:53 PM Liked: 174
post #118 of 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjocky View Post

Ufo.. Since you ask someone to test the panel, yet you make unequivocal statements about the w850 panel, you under cut your own position. I don't have a position one way or the other because I have not seen the w850 on display yet. Maybe you should be more specific about your position that the w900 is a supreme panel, I look forward to learning your rational.

There is a obvious visual difference in the panels. The panel in the w900a is more vibrant and appears to have a higher contrast ratio. I am not under cutting my position. I am not asking someone to test the panel, I am asking some one who owns this tv to check what model number the panel is. I am asking for this because with the model number I can look up who makes the panel (samsung, AOE, ect.) Sorry if my post was confusing to you. I should have used the word "check" instead of "test". Again, I have seen the w850 directly with the w900 in the store. Changing settings did nothing to make the w850 look like the w900.
YOTR's Avatar YOTR
02:07 PM Liked: 26
post #119 of 4495
Quote:

Black boarder around the picture is glossy (on the sides its a matte silver textured finish) - the black boarder hasnt been a distraction (so far) guess it depends on the way the light may reflect on it.

The speakers are actually pretty excellent for a LCD TV, you can actually hear (not feel) the bass in speech and action movies quite well. For day to day TV watching its great, if you want to watch movies and sports a soundbar will be a good investment.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it wasn't a glossy finish. I hate that kind of finish, lol. It is impossible to not scratch it or get swirl marks on it even if you are careful (my previous tv had a gloss finish around the frame). Oh well that's just cosmetic smile.gif. That's great to hear about the speakers. I will definitely get a sound bar down the road but for now it sounds like I will be good.
*UFO*'s Avatar *UFO*
02:11 PM Liked: 174
post #120 of 4495
Quote:

I agree with you about the speakers. They will suffice for most listeners. Im guessing the larger form factor of the tv allows for bigger speakers/more volume.
Tags: Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led

Gear in this thread
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread