Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 101
So our new toy was delivered at 9:30 this morning. And I won the so called panel lottery. I have had every test pattern on it today and the screen uniformity is great. I have look at it from all angles.
OK going to enjoy it for the rest of the day.
Going tweak it with the Calman 5 in the next day or to.
Good day all....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Good to hear you got a good one,i am still debating if I am gonna return mine for another one since I still have the one pink pixel in middle of the screen. I hate to return it it cuz it is a sweet tv and looks great other wise.
post #1173 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

new to this forum. followed this thread and picked 65w850 a week back. noticing two issues

"waves" like patterns when viewed from an angle may be around sixty degrees and it is fine when viewed directly.
slightly black on the right edge and can notice it all the time.

I did go through most of the posts and understand that LED panels have uniformity issues but wanted to know if it needs to be replaced.

g

post #1174 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avit14 View Post

new to this forum. followed this thread and picked 65w850 a week back. noticing two issues

"waves" like patterns when viewed from an angle may be around sixty degrees and it is fine when viewed directly.

I did go through most of the posts and understand that LED panels have uniformity issues but wanted to know if it needs to be replaced.

g

With the little bit that you have I would say you are good. I have seen much worse. And remember you you normally will watch you TV no less than 20 deg. off center. All in all it's your money so in the end.
post #1175 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 05:14 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic View Post

With the little bit that you have I would say you are good. I have seen much worse. And remember you you normally will watch you TV no less than 20 deg. off center. All in all it's your money so in the end.

What he said.

post #1176 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 05:54 PM

OK guys may have spoke to soon. Having a lot of problems with Netflix. It will start to play then buffer to 25% and say can't connect at this time. And it won't restart. Then if I go into the full app center there is just a bunch of black boxes. The only thing I can see is the name of the app.

Even when I use my local network media server all over WiFi it will start to play and lose connection from that.
If I go back into any of these apps right after the stop it says they can not connect. I am thinking something is wrong with the WiFi card. I was on the phone today with Sony tech for 2 hours and nothing they had me do fixed it.
I have a 55 inch samsung and it will play netflix's just fine and anything off my local server.
One more thing can someone tell me when you turn your TV off or on can you here a loud click or any click at all. Mine does.
Thanks for any feedback...
post #1177 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM

Liked: 25
I hear a click when I turn mine on but I think its just the power going to the tv for the first time. I don't hear any ticking or clicks other then that click when turning tv on.
post #1178 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avit14 View Post

I'm new to this forum. followed this thread and picked 65w850 a week back. noticing two issues

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your getting the new Sony TV.

Your screens shots look just like my set. All these Edge Lit LED sets have these similar problems on screen test colors at various angles. I can also see the wave patterns, the dark sides and some uniformity's on my screen, when using my camera. I never see these problems when watching TV if within the viewing angle and when playing a blue ray disk or just watching regular TV. Here below is a screen shot of my screen within the viewing angle.

I can help you reduce the dark sides way down if you pm me.

planemechfrito likes this.
post #1179 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post

I hear a click when I turn mine on but I think its just the power going to the tv for the first time. I don't hear any ticking or clicks other then that click when turning tv on.

That's a tiny micro relay activated from your pressing the power button on the remote to power up the TV from it's sleep mode.
post #1180 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post

Thanks yeah just on and off for me to so that is good.
The rest is making me think it have a bad WiFi card. It will just not stay connected. And we have a Roku and I hooked it up to the TV and it plays fine.
post #1181 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 PM

thanks - avmanic , jackburton and whitesands let me check out for some more time.

post #1182 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK guys may have spoke to soon. Having a lot of problems with Netflix. It will start to play then buffer to 25% and say can't connect at this time. And it won't restart. Then if I go into the full app center there is just a bunch of black boxes. The only thing I can see is the name of the app.

Even when I use my local network media server all over WiFi it will start to play and lose connection from that.
If I go back into any of these apps right after the stop it says they can not connect. I am thinking something is wrong with the WiFi card. I was on the phone today with Sony tech for 2 hours and nothing they had me do fixed it.
I have a 55 inch samsung and it will play netflix's just fine and anything off my local server.
One more thing can someone tell me when you turn your TV off or on can you here a loud click or any click at all. Mine does.

You may have added some new 2.4 ghz devices to your household that's interfering with you WiFi signal. I have three 2.4 devices and I can't even get my Sony WiFi to connect at 10 feet and one wall. I decided to use a thin gray 25 foot cat-5 cable from walmart and connected the TV to my router that way. Now Netflix streams easily. The Apps on the TV loads and works will with no interference from my other 2.4 devices.
post #1183 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 06:13 PM

Thnks for the reply guys and WhiteSands you have always been a big help. I love this TV but the connection problem sucks.. Any thoughts on that.
Thanks
post #1184 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 PM

I turned all other devices off today for hours so it was the only thing on WiFi.
post #1185 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thnks for the reply guys and WhiteSands you have always been a big help. I love this TV but the connection problem sucks.. Any thoughts on that.
Thanks

Glad to help as is others here in these forums.

whitesands
post #1186 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

Quote:

You may have added some new 2.4 ghz devices to your household that's interfering with you WiFi signal. I have three 2.4 devices and I can't even get my Sony WiFi to connect at 10 feet and one wall. I decided to use a thin gray 25 foot cat-5 cable from walmart and connected the TV to my router that way. Now Netflix streams easily. The Apps on the TV loads and works will with no interference from my other 2.4 devices.
I can hard wire it and see. Look like a trip to Walmart.. Fingers crossed.
post #1187 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 PM

Just don't understand why my Sammy is 20ft away from my wifi and it is fine and this one is 6 ft and is not.
post #1188 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Sorry for all the post one more thing it locked up in Netflix today 3 times and losing connection and rebooted it's self.
post #1189 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 PM

Hey guys new owner of this set...most of the time it looks great, but one major issue I see. Faces look horrible unless it's a close up. If it's showing someone's from a distance it looks totally pixelated and not clear. Does anyone know what setting can fix this? I definitely notice this during basketball games, but it's widespread no matter what I watch. Maybe I should post some pics.
post #1190 of 4406 Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverrs View Post

Hey guys new owner of this set...most of the time it looks great, but one major issue I see. Faces look horrible unless it's a close up. If it's showing someone's from a distance it looks totally pixelated and not clear. Does anyone know what setting can fix this? I definitely notice this during basketball games, but it's widespread no matter what I watch. Maybe I should post some pics.

Glad you bought this great TV. Try putting in my settings for Vivid and Standard on page 37 just above the roller coaster picture. If you put in the settings below the picture this will take care of your horrible faces you mentioned. My Vivid settings will get rid of any pixelation and give you a great picture when watching action games including blu-ray disk.

About the little girls facial detail in the fast moving roller coaster. It was cloudy during that part of the movie. I had not put in the other settings at that time. Their located just below the picture (pg 37) Those settings should clear up her face. That particular setting is 'Cine Motion' set to Off, if your set is the US W850 model. The setting would be, 'Film Mode' set to Off if it's the European W855 model.

In case you don't like these settings simply click Reset under each, Vivid and Standard and you will then be back to the Sony default settings.
post #1191 of 4406 Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just don't understand why my Sammy is 20ft away from my wifi and it is fine and this one is 6 ft and is not.
Quote:

Sorry for all the post one more thing it locked up in Netflix today 3 times and losing connection and rebooted it's self.

I think here your talking about trying to keep a connection using Sony's WiFi. Sorry I just don't think this Sony's WiFi is that strong. It could be due to the design of the transceiver in this set. Many others are getting their TV updates but never mention how their connected to the internet.

I had some problems with my 2-year old 55" Panasonic Plasma that this Sony set replaced. With the Panasonic WiFi up and working, netflix would play fine then after a half hour it would stop streaming. I had get up to reboot the router to get connected and working again. I got tired of that and after a few weeks I bought the Cat-5 cable from Walmart. Then it worked just fine with no stoppage and Netflix loaded much faster. By the way the Ann brand of gray Cat-5 cable comes in 15 foot and longer lengths from walmart and are low priced.

I tried for a few hours myself and even more hours with Sony's Tech department on the phone helping me best they could to connect the WiFi to my router. They could not find what may be the problem other than perhaps the other 2.4 ghz devices in our house. I ended up connected the Cat-5 cable back up to my new internet router and now it works just great. The other night I clicked on the Apps All-block using, Home/ Applications and after a few minutes of it loading I swear I counted 293 Apps, many with free older movies and etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the cat-5 hookup gets your internet connection going. You may have a Sony update once connected. some Sony updates, It takes about 5 minutes for them to finish installing. My over 4 months old set has had about 5 updates so far.
CPMD likes this.
post #1192 of 4406 Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 AM

So I hard wired it and everything is working great. Thanks for all your help....
post #1193 of 4406 Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I think here your talking about trying to keep a connection using Sony's WiFi. Sorry I just don't think this Sony's WiFi is that strong. I could be due to the design of the receiver and transmitter in this set. Many others are getting the updates but never mention how they are connecting to the internet.

I had some problems with my 2-year old 55" Panasonic Plasma that the Sony set replaced. With the Panasonic WiFi up and working, netflix would play finde then after a half hour it would stop streaming. I had get up to reboot the router to get it to connect and working again. I got tired of that and after a few weeks I bought the Cat-5 cable from Walmart. Then it worked just fine with no stoppage and Netflix loaded much faster. By the way that Ann brand of gray Cat-5 cable comes in 15 foot and longer length cables if your interested from walmart and are low priced.

I tried for a few hours myself and even more hours with Sony's Tech department on the phone helping me connect the WiFi to my router. They nor me never could figure what may be the problem other then my other 2.4 ghz devices in our house. I still think the Sony WiFi program may not be that strong and I could be wrong. I simply connected the Cat-5 cable back up to my new internet router and now it works just great. In fact the other night I clicked on the Apps All-block on Home/ Applications and after a few minutes of it loading I swear I counted 293 Apps, some with free older movies and etc.

I'm looking forward to see if the cable hookup gets your internet connection going when connected to your TV. Look out for some Sony updates, be sure to wait till it's finish installing which may take 5 minutes. I had a new auto update waiting once I got the good internet connection going.

Interesting discussion. My W850 WIFI connected to my NETGEAR N300 (2.4Ghz band) but was a little slow downloading flix from Amazon. I bought upgraded router in effort to increase download speed; it was LINKSYS EA4500 (dual band 2.4 and 5 Ghz). Couldn't connect at 5Ghz since you need Sony UWABR100 USB Dongle which has been discontinued (call to SONY parts indicated will be available again in March?). When connected at 2.4Ghz, streaming speed with new router was much worse than simpler NETGEAR router at 2.4Ghz!  Returned new router and am staying with the NETGEAR  at 2.4Ghz. Can't easily hardwire TV to router so I am hoping to somehow increase WIFI speed at 2.4Ghz. Maybe better router exists to do this but will have to research? I have read some good reviews about the ASUS RT-N66U and RT-AC66U.

post #1194 of 4406 Old 02-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud11244 View Post

Interesting discussion. My W850 WIFI connected to my NETGEAR N300 (2.4Ghz band) but was a little slow downloading flix from Amazon. I bought upgraded router in effort to increase download speed; it was LINKSYS EA4500 (dual band 2.4 and 5 Ghz). Couldn't connect at 5Ghz since you need Sony UWABR100 USB Dongle which has been discontinued (call to SONY parts indicated will be available again in March?). When connected at 2.4Ghz, streaming speed with new router was much worse than simpler NETGEAR router at 2.4Ghz!  Returned new router and am staying with the NETGEAR  at 2.4Ghz. Can't easily hardwire TV to router so I am hoping to somehow increase WIFI speed at 2.4Ghz. Maybe better router exists to do this but will have to research? I have read some good reviews about the ASUS RT-N66U and RT-AC66U.

I was using the older Cisco/ Linksys EA3200? on the Panasonic then this new Sony set. I didn't event ry to connect WiFi to the Sony. I read about the new ASUS AC68U router coming out so I bought one from Amazon. I tried even using the ASUS tech dept and being not that far from the TV they suggested using the cat-5 hookup which I did and it worked fine. This is a cool looking router with it's 3 antenna's on top. One thing I really like about it maybe including their AC66U model, is that it has a button were you can shut off the RF unit if you want.
N8rbug likes this.
post #1195 of 4406 Old 02-10-2014, 02:38 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I was using the older Cisco/ Linksys EA3200? on the Panasonic then this new Sony set. I didn't event ry to connect WiFi to the Sony. I read about the new ASUS AC68U router coming out so I bought one from Amazon. I tried even using the ASUS tech dept and being not that far from the TV they suggested using the cat-5 hookup which I did and it worked fine. This is a cool looking router with it's 3 antenna's on top. One thing I really like about it maybe including their AC66U model, is that it has a button were you can shut off the RF unit if you want.

Thanks WhiteSands! I read about the ASUS AC68U also; it got great reviews from CNET. So I take you had trouble connecting wireless even to the new ASUS router? If so, I might as well stick with what I have. Just found out that Sears parts has the Sony USB adaptor UWABR100, but they want $120. for it! Supposedly, with that adaptor, you can connect with the router on the 5Ghz band, thus avoiding interference issues on the 2.4 Ghz band.

post #1196 of 4406 Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud11244 View Post

Thanks WhiteSands! I read about the ASUS AC68U also; it got great reviews from CNET. So I take you had trouble connecting wireless even to the new ASUS router? If so, I might as well stick with what I have. Just found out that Sears parts has the Sony USB adaptor UWABR100, but they want $120. for it! Supposedly, with that adaptor, you can connect with the router on the 5Ghz band, thus avoiding interference issues on the 2.4 Ghz band.

That does sound good, but I had a dual USB device from my previous Panasonic VT-30 set this Sony replaced. I plugged it into the Sony USB port and it having both the 2.4 and 5.0 ghz bands the set never could see my router only 10 feet away. I did have the Sony set to WiFi, wireless. I tried other times days apart and opted to go with the reliable cat-5 cable. Now everything work just fine including the Sony Auto updates.
post #1197 of 4406 Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 PM

So a friend just got his 65f8000 two weeks ago and he stopped by tonight to check my TV. He was amazed at the PQ of the Sony and said this has a better picture than mine with more detail. I just said thanks but inside I was smiling.
deniesant likes this.
post #1198 of 4406 Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 PM

Liked: 20
I have an AC68U, it is good if you have AC clients (when wirelessly transferring large files), VPN on the router, and USB3 compared to an N router.

Unfortunately, the Sony W850A is not an AC client, it's not even a 5GHz N client like the Samsung smart TVs.
It's a 2.4GHz N client... which is fine because if your router is far away, 2.4 has better range. However, the 2.4 band can be affected by interference from microwaves, baby monitors, cordless phones... anything else that also rides 2.4.

Any router with good 2.4 N performance should work with this TV. If you are running other wirelessly devices, use a dual band router and put what you can on the 5GHz band. If you live in close proximity to your neighbours, do a scan with your computer and use a channel that your neighbours aren't using. If you are having range problems, you can always connect an extender to the TV and use that instead of the TV's wireless card which I don't know how strong it is. The extender should ideally be 2.4 N because 5GHz does not go through walls and ceilings very well. If you are having interference problems, try the extender on 5GHz. This is all assuming you are unable to physically wire the TV with ethernet.

Cheers
post #1199 of 4406 Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 PM

Liked: 20
BTW, if you are Canadian, I am using a US VPN on our AC68. The stronger CPU allows it to wireless stream several online HD feeds eg: multiple instances of Netflix/Hulu+/YouTube (if everyone in the family wants to watch something different, lol). You will need an ISP package with at least 20Mbps down and a healthy monthly allowance; also a VPN provider with US servers that can match your ISP speeds to do the same.
post #1200 of 4406 Old 02-11-2014, 05:43 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

So a friend just got his 65f8000 two weeks ago and he stopped by tonight to check my TV. He was amazed at the PQ of the Sony and said this has a better picture than mine with more detail. I just said thanks but inside I was smiling.

So has anybody have Samsung F8000 and returned it for this set or vice versa. Just need honest feedback between the Samsung F8000 and Sony W850A in terms of picture quality, colors and blacks for those people who tried out both of these sets. Don't forget F8000 is 240Hz while this set is 120Hz.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page