Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks so much WhiteSands.

I am interested to check out your recommendations and see how things look. I will definitely have to give them a call and see about getting that extra pair of glasses. And really appreciate the tip about the secondary remote; will do!
WhiteSands likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 04:56 AM

Liked: 30
Whitesands, assuming money is not an issue, would you buy the 55 inch KDLW900A or the 65 inch KDLW850A? I would be using the TV primarily for HD sports and general SD/HD viewing. Not much movies or 3D and no gaming. Primary viewing distance is exactly 11 feet straight on. Secondary viewing distance is 6 feet (15 degree angle). I have read that the W900A is a superior TV with 240HZ and a deep black panel and swivel base. The W850A offers a bigger screen size and better sound with no swivel base. Your thoughts? Thanks..
WhiteSands likes this.
post #1263 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 07:00 AM

Liked: 14

hi guys, so i just received the tv yesterday, i'm very happy with it while playing games but i still have a few concerns when playing films image quality wise, what are the complete best settings exclusively for movies and tv shows? 

WhiteSands likes this.
post #1264 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 07:07 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonmind View Post

Just ordered this unit after a lot of internal debate between it and the Samsung UN65F8000. Already happy with the decision; found myself in a local Best Buy to pick up some 3D Blu-rays (I still love shopping for media in a brick and mortar) and noticed they had these two units set up side-by-side. Very convenient, and very telling. With everything reset to factory defaults, the Sony was (subjectively) much more accurate. After some continued tweaking I still found the Sony to have a more favorable PQ. So far, the only issue I've found is that I can't seem to locate an extra set of 3D Glasses (not sure which model is the correct one). Other than that, I'm now an anxious wreck waiting for her to get here.

I've read through many of the 40 or so pages of the thread. Has anyone found calibration settings that were pretty spot on and have been a solid go-to for other owners? (I know sets differ, but having a good starting point would be lovely).

Thanks!

I did some research and talked to SONY about the 3D glasses. Supposedly, the model number for the glasses is TDG-BT500A. They are available from SONY and other online retailers including Amazon (about $49. per pair). The thing that bothers me is that some of the reviewers' comments say that these glasses will only work with model KDL-55W900A, which, they say was the only 2013 SONY model that uses ACTIVE 3D glasses. I guess the W850A model came out after the W900A model, because, I believe, the W850A model also uses ACTIVE 3D glasses.

I am trying to decide which retailer I want to buy from, depending on which one offers easy, no cost returns in cast these glasses actually do not work for the W850A.    

commonmind likes this.
post #1265 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud11244 View Post

I did some research and talked to SONY about the 3D glasses. Supposedly, the model number for the glasses is TDG-BT500A. They are available from SONY and other online retailers including Amazon (about $49. per pair). The thing that bothers me is that some of the reviewers' comments say that these glasses will only work with model KDL-55W900A, which, they say was the only 2013 SONY model that uses ACTIVE 3D glasses. I guess the W850A model came out after the W900A model, because, I believe, the W850A model also uses ACTIVE 3D glasses.

I am trying to decide which retailer I want to buy from, depending on which one offers easy, no cost returns in cast these glasses actually do not work for the W850A.    

yes i can attest that the the w850 uses the exact same 3d glasses as the w900, i had a w905 here in europe(w900) and now i have the w855(your w850) and the glasses that come with both tv's are the same 

commonmind and cloud11244 like this.
post #1266 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud11244 View Post

I'd also found the same conflicting info and was ready to call Sony per WhiteSands' suggestion. I read some of the Amazon reviews, which also said the same thing about specific compatibility. Thanks so much for confirming these work, FadiNNg.
post #1267 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Looks like my CalMAN 5 and and C3 meter will be here today. So can't I wait to get to see this TV calibrated other then what I already did. Like gray scale and color. Hopefully some time this weekend I will have time.
post #1268 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwali View Post

Whitesands, assuming money is not an issue, would you buy the 55 inch KDLW900A or the 65 inch KDLW850A? I would be using the TV primarily for HD sports and general SD/HD viewing. Not much movies or 3D and no gaming. Primary viewing distance is exactly 11 feet straight on. Secondary viewing distance is 6 feet (15 degree angle). I have read that the W900A is a superior TV with 240HZ and a deep black panel and swivel base. The W850A offers a bigger screen size and better sound with no swivel base. Your thoughts? Thanks..

The W900 sounds good but is a 1 year 2 month old TV. The W850 started selling last October with the larger screen size. The 55 vs 65 inch don't sound like much till you put the smaller one in front of the larger one.

Sony's recommended viewing distance is 9 feet or more, although closer is ok due to the clarity of the picture quality. The 11 foot viewing distance would be much better with the larger W850 screen. The 15 degree angle you sometimes use will look as good as your centered viewing.

Their is not much of a jump from the 120 to 240hz. This 65" model contains a circuit called Motionflow XR480 which gives you a clear picture even during sports games. I have found some pixelating I had seen earlier during the pro football games was actually coming from the local off-air TV station I was using at the time. Once I switched to that same game on the Fox network from the Dish Network, the pixelation stopped so the problem was not with my TV.

Don't worry about any deep black panel with this set. This 65" set has some of the deepest blacks and best colors you will ever see on a TV.

Instead of using a swivel base the W850 set has a chrome ring support with plastic under the chrome area. It's very easy to twist if the TV is sitting directly on the TV stand.
bigwali and N8rbug like this.
post #1269 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 12:38 PM

Liked: 17
white sands,i indeed love this tv as much as you do,however there is one small issue that no one else has yet mentioned, the crappy remote,no where near as good as the remote LG supply with their TV's.
Why after developing such a superior set did sony see fit to ship it with an inferior remote control?.

Should have been more like the playstation3 remote which is bigger and easier to use,my wife complains about it constantly.

Tv sets in this price bracket should be shipped with a premium remote with backlit buttons instead of the shoddy cheap unit that it comes with.
post #1270 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

The W900 sounds good but is a 1 year 2 month old TV. The W850 started selling last October with the larger screen size. The 55 vs 65 inch don't sound like much till you put the smaller one in front of the larger one.

Sony's recommended viewing distance is 9 feet or more, although closer is ok due to the clarity of the picture quality. The 11 foot viewing distance would be much better with the larger W850 screen. The 15 degree angle you sometimes use will look as good as your centered viewing.

Their is not much of a jump from the 120 to 240hz. This 65" model contains a circuit called Motionflow XR480 which gives you a clear picture even during sports games. I have found some pixelating I had seen earlier during the pro football games was actually coming from the local off-air TV station I was using at the time. Once I switched to that same game on the Fox network from the Dish Network, the pixelation stopped so the problem was not with my TV.

Don't worry about any deep black panel with this set. This 65" set has some of the deepest blacks and best colors you will ever see on a TV.

Instead of using a swivel base the W850 set has a chrome ring support with plastic under the chrome area. It's very easy to twist if the TV is sitting directly on the TV stand.

Thanks for the great info. Very helpful. Thumbs Up!
WhiteSands likes this.
post #1271 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post

white sands,i indeed love this tv as much as you do,however there is one small issue that no one else has yet mentioned, the crappy remote,no where near as good as the remote LG supply with their TV's.
Why after developing such a superior set did sony see fit to ship it with an inferior remote control?.

Should have been more like the playstation3 remote which is bigger and easier to use,my wife complains about it constantly.

Tv sets in this price bracket should be shipped with a premium remote with backlit buttons instead of the shoddy cheap unit that it comes with.

Sony has used this same basic remote design for years. I have 3 other year old Sony's other than the W850 set. All the remotes look alike other than the 850 remote has a few more buttons on it around the Select button. It took me about 3 weeks to get used to it. Give your wife the other second simpler remote that comes with the 850 set as it's much easier to use. I bought a tiny led flashlight (ray-o-vac) almost key-chain size from Walmart the other night for $4 including battery. Plenty bright when I need to look at any of the 4 remotes sitting on the table next to my recliner. If you want one look around the battery displays near the check out area.
post #1272 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic View Post

Looks like my CalMAN 5 and and C3 meter will be here today. So can't I wait to get to see this TV calibrated other then what I already did. Like gray scale and color. Hopefully some time this weekend I will have time.

Good luck with this nice calibration tool. Expect to take well over a hour to go though like all the Standard and Advanced settings. I don't know if they also do the Vivid settings or not. The few calib disk I have recommend using the Standard picture mode. I tried the same calib disk (no screen meter) same as Cnet used. My picture came out a little to dark and the colors were to soft making it look like the VT-30 Panasonic this Sony set replaced. I also tried Disney's Wow calib disk and then the picture was to bright for me. I had better luck with a few simple settings changes on Vivid and Standard and came out looking really good, especially on Vivid which I use near all the time.
post #1273 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

This set has really great color and picture realism. I took this one a while back when I had the led indicator turned off.

N8rbug likes this.
post #1274 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:

This set has really great color and picture realism. I took this one a while back when I had the led indicator turned off.

The whites look blueish.
post #1275 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 05:36 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post

Hello Asdetail, I agree with you on the remote. The smaller bluetooth one looks classier and has a better quality feel to it. If you have a smartphone or tablet (Apple or Android) got to the apps on your device and download the free TVsideview app from Sony. Once connected to the tv via you home network it gives you a lot of features, like a full program guide dependent on your cable or satellite, full remote, touch pad and keyboard for surfing the web. It's not perfect but it's an improvement over the plasticky larger remote. I will also say that once you get completely comfortable with the remotes you can get to any setting, option, smart features. Also learn how to use the colored keys on it, they are shortcuts for certain features. Hope this helps, I have been demoing these units for about a year now since the 2013's launched and it becomes very easy with time to do and get to what you want. 

Regards, Ricky 

post #1276 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdJags View Post

The whites look blueish.

That's a easy one, The baby blue you see is blueish due to it being shaded from the direct sunlight. While watching the Olympics I have also seen some blue looking snow that was also shaded on the downhill runs side of the mountain.
post #1277 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Good luck with this nice calibration tool. Expect to take well over a hour to go though like all the Standard and Advanced settings. I don't know if they also do the Vivid settings or not. The few calib disk I have recommend using the Standard picture mode. I tried the same calib disk (no screen meter) same as Cnet used. My picture came out a little to dark and the colors were to soft making it look like the VT-30 Panasonic this Sony set replaced. I also tried Disney's Wow calib disk and then the picture was to bright for me. I had better luck with a few simple settings changes on Vivid and Standard and came out looking really good, especially on Vivid which I use near all the time.
No really like you setting I did try them. My taste is more on the standard setting with my tweaks. I just always wanted a real calibration tool and finally made my mind up to buy one after getting this great TV. I already had all the other cal disks and just wanted to see what would happen if I could get the gray scales and color set to a tire 2.2 would look like. I have many hobby's cars, computers, TV's. I enjoy tweaking things. And if I can find something that makes this already great TV better then it will benefit all. I would like to run some of the setting I find by you to see what you think.
N8rbug likes this.
post #1278 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 06:35 PM

I'm going to start out with standard mode for calibration and go from there. I just want to have fun doing it.smile.gif
N8rbug likes this.
post #1279 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:

No really like you setting I did try them. My taste is more on the standard setting with my tweaks. I just always wanted a real calibration tool and finally made my mind up to buy one after getting this great TV. I already had all the other cal disks and just wanted to see what would happen if I could get the gray scales and color set to a tire 2.2 would look like. I have many hobby's cars, computers, TV's. I enjoy tweaking things. And if I can find something that makes this already great TV better then it will benefit all. I would like to run some of the setting I find by you to see what you think.

I was using the Standard settings for a while and tweaked them, but something just did not look right. I set the exact same values in Custom and the picture looks slightly different.

Standard mode seems to pump up the mid-range colors, so every scene looks like it is under bright lights or on a sunny day. I finally got tired of looking at Canadian flags that looked brighter and a little orange rather than the pure red they should be. The Custom mode does not have this effect and I no longer have this false sunny day look.
post #1280 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your getting the best calibration tool available. I'm also a perfectionist and used to fly model planes, photography and still build my own computers.

I would also like to compare your finalized settings to my few. I'm sure your going to have many more settings changes due to the CalMAN-5's detailed tuning method using the screen sensor and computer for your readings.
N8rbug likes this.
post #1281 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:

That's a easy one, The baby blue you see is blueish due to it being shaded from the direct sunlight. While watching the Olympics I have also seen some blue looking snow that was also shaded on the downhill runs side of the mountain.

I was wondering how this TV is performing with the Olympics and the prevailing snow scenes.
post #1282 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwali View Post

Quote:

I was wondering how this TV is performing with the Olympics and the prevailing snow scenes.
The snow on this set looks pure white to me unless the lighting on the course is impedes upon the snow.
bigwali likes this.
post #1283 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 11:43 PM

Liked: 23

I'm in the market for a TV mount for a our beautiful 65w850a. Anyone got recommendations? Looking for a mount that pulls out which I believe is called full motion? Looking for quality but bang for the buck value. 

This will be my first time buying/mounting a TV. Anyone using a full motion mount with this TV??

commonmind likes this.
post #1284 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadiNNg View Post

hi guys, so i just received the tv yesterday, i'm very happy with it while playing games but i still have a few concerns when playing films image quality wise, what are the complete best settings exclusively for movies and tv shows? 

Grats on the TV purchase! Try my settings for movies and shows. These settings are true to life with color pop and close to 6500K

Eco - Light sensor - Off

Power saving - Off

Screen - Display Area - Full/+1

SCENE SELECT - GENERAL

Settings Custom 
Backlight 5
Picture MAX
Brightness 51
Color 55
Hue G1
Color Temp Warm 2
Sharpness 50
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Red Off
Dot Noise Red Off
Reality Creation Off
Video Area Detection Off
Resolution Min [greyed out]
Noise Filtering Min [greyed out]
Smooth Gradation Off
Motionflow Off
CineMotion Off

Black Corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma 0
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Off
White Balance 0
Detail Enhancer Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturalizer Off
Display Speed Pref Off [greyed out]

Only change in White Balance is R-Bias to -1 

WhiteSands likes this.
post #1285 of 4326 Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdeezy View Post

I'm in the market for a TV mount for a our beautiful 65w850a. Anyone got recommendations? Looking for a mount that pulls out which I believe is called full motion? Looking for quality but bang for the buck value. 

This will be my first time buying/mounting a TV. Anyone using a full motion mount with this TV??

Although I don't have any experience with this specific set (mine will arrive on Monday), I have had plenty of the Cheetah mounts (their full motion range) and have been very happy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WL6YY8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2FI19G9IAJPA5

I would also suggest grabbing yourself a good recessed in-wall wire routing system. I've used these quite a bit for other installations:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00193U3O0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Just make sure you've got a good stud finder, that you know where your fire break is (or if you have one) and that you take care in looking for warning signs post-installation, like severe sag at full extension.
post #1286 of 4326 Old 02-15-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Although I don't have any experience with this specific set (mine will arrive on Monday), I have had plenty of the Cheetah mounts (their full motion range) and have been very happy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WL6YY8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2FI19G9IAJPA5

I would also suggest grabbing yourself a good recessed in-wall wire routing system. I've used these quite a bit for other installations:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00193U3O0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Just make sure you've got a good stud finder, that you know where your fire break is (or if you have one) and that you take care in looking for warning signs post-installation, like severe sag at full extension.

Thanks brotha! I just finished some reading reviews from the amazon links. Quite a few people complain about the mount/TVs sagging after 3-6 months. What size TV is are you using with the Cheetah mounts.

And grats on the new TV! Try my settings because out of the box settings good but not great. With my settings, I now LOVE my TV. All I want to do is watch movies, shows and play games. Gotta try hard not to be a couch potato lol

WhiteSands likes this.
post #1287 of 4326 Old 02-15-2014, 12:37 AM

My settings. Eye candy (Thor Dark World) for all the 65w850a lovers and potential owners!! Camera used is iphone5 so it's not that great. HDR off and flash off. Should HDR be on? 

EDIT Photos looks much better on my phone and looks much better in person. 

WhiteSands likes this.
post #1288 of 4326 Old 02-15-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdeezy View Post

My settings. Eye candy (Thor Dark World) for all the 65w850a lovers and potential owners!! Camera used is iphone5 so it's not that great. HDR off and flash off. Should HDR be on? 

Great looking shots, even on the iPhone. As for your earlier question, my previous display was a 55", the weight I can't remember off the bat, but what I can say is that I've had a much heavier display on a similar Cheetah mount and it had no troubles whatsoever. My advice would be to give it a week or so (I ordered a Cheetah mount with this TV) and let me get back to you on my results. I should know within the first few weeks of use what long term performance is going to be like.

Thanks again for the great shots!
post #1289 of 4326 Old 02-15-2014, 01:50 AM

Quote:

Great looking shots, even on the iPhone. As for your earlier question, my previous display was a 55", the weight I can't remember off the bat, but what I can say is that I've had a much heavier display on a similar Cheetah mount and it had no troubles whatsoever. My advice would be to give it a week or so (I ordered a Cheetah mount with this TV) and let me get back to you on my results. I should know within the first few weeks of use what long term performance is going to be like.

Thanks again for the great shots!

Cool man, sounds good! Keep us posted with the mount and how it works out the first few weeks. And no problem, glad to share with the community!

post #1290 of 4326 Old 02-15-2014, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyU View Post

Hello Asdetail, I agree with you on the remote. The smaller bluetooth one looks classier and has a better quality feel to it. If you have a smartphone or tablet (Apple or Android) got to the apps on your device and download the free TVsideview app from Sony. Once connected to the tv via you home network it gives you a lot of features, like a full program guide dependent on your cable or satellite, full remote, touch pad and keyboard for surfing the web. It's not perfect but it's an improvement over the plasticky larger remote. I will also say that once you get completely comfortable with the remotes you can get to any setting, option, smart features. Also learn how to use the colored keys on it, they are shortcuts for certain features. Hope this helps, I have been demoing these units for about a year now since the 2013's launched and it becomes very easy with time to do and get to what you want. 

Regards, Ricky 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyU View Post

Regards, Ricky 
yes have the sideview app on my 7" tablet but my better half shuns such technology and prefers to use old fashioned remote contols.

it is just a minor gripe about what is otherwise a class leading television.

I have started re-watching some of my old bluray movies just to see how much better the sony makes them look!,in fact it even performs miricles with SD material,makes it look so much better than I remember.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread - Xbr65x850a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page