post #1441 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by crx23 View Post

I'm using the HDMI 1 input but I don't think clouding has to do with the inputs. I'm sure calibration would help but I see no point in it since the clouding is  so bad. Im going to exchange it for another w850 and I hope I get a better one. are you talking about the +1 setting on the pixel mapping?

I don't remember many reports of clouding that can only be seen on a dark gray or black screen. It was found a few in this group were complaining about clouding only to find out they were seeing it without a signal. They were turning their TV on before turning on their cable box. This produces a black screen and with no signal then the LEDs run at full brightness simulating clouding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post

There are a couple of issues though that I do not have a handle on yet. The first one is that the picture with motion flow set to standard seems choppy on some tv shows and credits are choppy too. I am not sure if it tv programming or the TV yet. I will investigate further.

Finally the other issue which I am upset about is the uniformity especially of whites or light colors . I get crescent shape shadows around two on each side. It is hard to see it straight on but if you are on the side you can clearly see it like this
((_______)) I have two seats in the room that are affected by this. I believe my first W850 only slightly had this issue and I could not see it at all unless I really looked for it.

I have had excellent results with the Vivid and Standard Motionflow set to Standard which is Sony's default. I also had problems till I set the Scene Selection to General. This prevents the TV from Auto switching the to some other Sony preset Picture Mode that's usually darker than Vivid and Standard that I prefer to use. I saw lots of pro football games and found that Standard setting was the best to eliminate any motion blur.

You mention the credits are choppy on some TV shows. Some cable boxes or satellite receivers have a 'skip-back' up feature. If so back up the picture 1-minute and then play it though again in slow motion. If it's still jumpy it's the signal source.

Some have cleared up this problem by setting the motion flow to Off. I tried it on my set and had some motonflow problems during the pro football games so I went back to the default, standard.

> About the uniformity of the whites or light colors. My set had that problem at first but the more I used it less it got. Now it's been 5 months I have used my set and the picture looks great even during the Olympics.

I find it's best to watch regular TV shows or blu ray movies to see then if you have the same screen problems. I find lots of problems are the signal source and not the TV.

One way to prove that is to pause your cable box picture to see if the problem still exist. I'm talking motion blur and pixelation here.

I will post a picture I took at a angle of my set and I'm about the edge of the 44.5 degree viewing angle from center when I took this one.
post #1443 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

Here are a few angle shots including one picture centered from my TV screen. Sony's angle limit is 89 deg across the front or 44.5 deg on each side. Sony's minimum viewing distance is 9 feet. I can only go 8 feet in my recliner or maybe we need a bigger living room. lol

These were a month ago and I don't see any problems from the panel.

With the ads next to these pictures, you can click the pix for a better view.

post #1444 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

It seems any tv will have something wrong with it somewhere. I've gone through Samsung,Sharp,Vizio and now Sony and something has been wrong with all of them. With the Samsung and the Sony both have terrible flashlighting. The blurry faces on the Sony are only during SD content but the Clouding/Flashlighting on the left side are there no matter what I watch. The Samsung was much worse though with the Clouding. I might see if I can exchange it for another Sony w850 and hope to get less Flashlighting. I don't have the vertical banding that alot of others have so that is good.

Clouding and flashlighting haven't really been reported as an issue on this set and I can tell you mine has zero.  Those two "features" seem to be much more prevalent on Samsungs.

If only we could combine the positive traits of all of the various manufacturers into one TV.  It's funny but the longer I own my TV the less tolerant I have become of the problems it has.  During sports viewing the screen uniformity and vertical banding is really starting to annoy the heck out of me much the way burn-in drove me crazy on my previous two plasma TVs.  It's kind of ridiculous but I'm already looking forward to future technologies that might eliminate these problems so that I can replace my W850A.  Then again things like OLED will have their own problems to deal with.  Unfortunately, it's a bit of a pick your poison type of situation.  I'm also starting to consider front projection as a possible alternative.  Apparently, some of the newer projectors can deliver good brightness levels even in a room with a lot of sunlight.

WhiteSands likes this.
post #1445 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton1986 View Post

Clouding and flashlighting haven't really been reported as an issue on this set and I can tell you mine has zero.  Those two "features" seem to be much more prevalent on Samsungs.

If only we could combine the positive traits of all of the various manufacturers into one TV.  It's funny but the longer I own my TV the less tolerant I have become of the problems it has.  During sports viewing the screen uniformity and vertical banding is really starting to annoy the heck out of me much the way burn-in drove me crazy on my previous two plasma TVs.  It's kind of ridiculous but I'm already looking forward to future technologies that might eliminate these problems so that I can replace my W850A.  Then again things like OLED will have their own problems to deal with.  Unfortunately, it's a bit of a pick your poison type of situation.  I'm also starting to consider front projection as a possible alternative.  Apparently, some of the newer projectors can deliver good brightness levels even in a room with a lot of sunlight.

I had a Panasonic plasma years ago and switched to LED because the plasma image retention was driving me nuts. Everything is a trade off but the clouding and flashlighting are more tolerable to me than image retention is. I was considering the Samsung f8500 because IR is suppose to be a thing of the past but when I went to look at it in the store it had the ESPN logo burned in to the screen among other images as well. Hopefully Best Buy still has w850 in stock so I can do an exchange.

post #1446 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 12:53 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post

Well I exchanged my W850 and took delivery yesterday. The picture on the set is defiantly better in terms of sharpness color and contrast. The picture is sharp with faces are extremely clear and in focus. Even my 14 year old son saw the difference and he is more interested in video games. The sound quality on the tv is even better using the same setting. The sound seems to have a richer tone to it. This set looks completely better than the previous one. It almost looks like a different model.

There are a couple of issues though that I do not have a handle on yet. The first one is that the picture with motion flow set to standard seems choppy on some tv shows and credits are choppy too. I am not sure if it tv programming or the TV yet. I will investigate further.

Finally the other issue which I am upset about is the uniformity especially of whites or light colors . I get crescent shape shadows around two on each side. It is hard to see it straight on but if you are on the side you can clearly see it like this
((_______)) I have two seats in the room that are affected by this. I believe my first W850 only slightly had this issue and I could not see it at all unless I really looked for it.

I would appreciate any comments

PREVIOUS POST REGARDING MY FIRST 65W850A

I would like to get some suggestions on a problem I started to experience toad with the KDL65W850. Tonight I was watching and the picture looked quick soft and dull. I checked my settings and everything seems ok. I even compared it to my 8 year old Sony plasma in another room and that looked better. The picture looked like it was dull, lacked sharpness and contrast. I decided to turn the tv off and unplugged it for about a minute. When I turned it on the picture looked a lot better. It is good that the picture is good again but why did this happen, is there a problem with the TV? I also notice some a few weeks ago which I do not know if it is related but I was hooking up HDMI connection in the back of the set and I accidently pressed the area slightly below the HDMI connection (where it indents) and I heard a soft clicking noise when slightly compressing that area. I didn't think it was anything until I had the problem tonight. I tried slighting pressing that area where the HDMI cables are but I see no change in the picture right now. But now I am getting concerned because my 30 day return is coming up soon. I purchased the set on 12-24-13 and took delivery on 12-31-13 from Best Buy does anyone know if the 30days is from the purchase date or when Best Buy delivered the set?

Wow, looks like the same set problems as I have :S
post #1447 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 03:31 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:

I had a Panasonic plasma years ago and switched to LED because the plasma image retention was driving me nuts. Everything is a trade off but the clouding and flashlighting are more tolerable to me than image retention is. I was considering the Samsung f8500 because IR is suppose to be a thing of the past but when I went to look at it in the store it had the ESPN logo burned in to the screen among other images as well. Hopefully Best Buy still has w850 in stock so I can do an exchange.

Yep, if it were not for static images plasma would be by far the best choice of what's currently available for flat panel TV technology.  The reality is though nearly every TV channel runs network advertising symbols, crawlers, static sports scores, etc.  Before buying a plasma TV I read all of these cnet.com articles about how burn-in almost never happens anymore because modern plasmas have different phosphors than the old ones and things like pixel orbiters make it nearly impossible for burn-in to occur.  They went on to say modern plasmas are really only susceptible to image retention, which is temporary.  One article actually said, "here's the fun part, to get rid of image retention all you have to do is watch more TV".  Implying that the over-excited gasses in the screen will magically fix themselves.  Needless to say, I don't trust a word that cnet publishes anymore because both of my plasma's quickly developed permanent burn-in and I was very careful not to leave stations with static symbols on for an extended period of time.  That experience basically forced my hand to move to LCD because like you say, LCD has it's problems but nothing is as annoying as seeing news and sports symbols permanently burned into your screen like what happens with plasma.

It's funny you mention the F8500.  When I bought my TV the Magnolia sales rep knew I like the plasma picture and he recommended I try the F8500 because he felt it was more resistant to IR and burn-in than the Panasonics.  I didn't feel like taking the chance of having to return a 3rd plasma set so I bought the W850A instead.  Overall, I've been pleased with the W850A and I do think it's the best LCD TV in its price range and certainly superior to the F8000 but there are certain things about LCD that I just don't like and unfortunately never will.

WhiteSands likes this.
post #1448 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton1986 View Post

Quote:

Yep, if it were not for static images plasma would be by far the best choice of what's currently available for flat panel TV technology.

Not quite.  Don't forget that there are brightness concerns that almost everyone with a sunny room has to deal with.

Quote:
The reality is though nearly every TV channel runs network advertising symbols, crawlers, static sports scores, etc.  Before buying a plasma TV I read all of these cnet.com articles about how burn-in almost never happens anymore because modern plasmas have different phosphors than the old ones and things like pixel orbiters make it nearly impossible for burn-in to occur.  They went on to say modern plasmas are really only susceptible to image retention, which is temporary.  One article actually said, "here's the fun part, to get rid of image retention all you have to do is watch more TV".  Implying that the over-excited gasses in the screen will magically fix themselves.

The industry sometimes does and sometimes does not make a distinction between IR and BI.  IR is usually considered the (fixable) effect of transient voltages that can settle back down when driven back and forth with patterns.  BI is usually considered the permanent damage done to the plasma cell from extended excitation.  Sometimes they're both considered soley the effect of uneven wear rates.  Sigh. Absolutely no one has impressed me much in their explanations of plasma damage in this industry.

Quote:
Needless to say, I don't trust a word that cnet publishes anymore because both of my plasma's quickly developed permanent burn-in and I was very careful not to leave stations with static symbols on for an extended period of time.  That experience basically forced my hand to move to LCD because like you say, LCD has it's problems but nothing is as annoying as seeing news and sports symbols permanently burned into your screen like what happens with plasma.

Yeah....I'm fairly tired of the "but but but but it doesn't do that any more, honest" bull@#$% that people seem to just LOVE to parrot about.  Cnet as well.

Quote:

It's funny you mention the F8500.  When I bought my TV the Magnolia sales rep knew I like the plasma picture and he recommended I try the F8500 because he felt it was more resistant to IR and burn-in than the Panasonics.  I didn't feel like taking the chance of having to return a 3rd plasma set so I bought the W850A instead.  Overall, I've been pleased with the W850A and I do think it's the best LCD TV in its price range and certainly superior to the F8000 but there are certain things about LCD that I just don't like and unfortunately never will.

I hear you, but after seeing a real triumph (the Sony XBR-65HX950) I started singing a different tune.  That thing was truly amazing.  Things in LCD land have improved quite a bit over the years, though clearly not as quickly as you or I would have hoped.  Your W850A seems to have a very good set of user reviews as well.

Geoff D likes this.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #1449 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 06:56 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Well the Vizio had other problems, the remote never worked and the screen was like looking in a mirror it was so reflective , it was almost impossible to watch during the day. I love the colors and the black levels of the Sony it's just the blurry faces and backgrounds are so distracting. My dad is staying with me this weekend and he thought something was wrong with his eyes last night while we were watching tv. I told him it's the tv, now he's used to watching a 42'' Panasonic Plasma so to him it looked quite different than he's used to. I guess I'll keep messing with the settings a few more days and see what happens.

Totally agree on the blurry faces only when they are at a distance. Close up face shots look amazing but when a character or basketball player are shown from a distance the faces get blurry. We were watching nba games at my friends older LG and the blurriness was not as apparent and he has the same directv I do.

However I must say...netflix looks amazing on this set off the Apple TV! House of cards looked felt like I was at the movie theatre!
post #1450 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverrs View Post

Totally agree on the blurry faces only when they are at a distance. Close up face shots look amazing but when a character or basketball player are shown from a distance the faces get blurry. We were watching nba games at my friends older LG and the blurriness was not as apparent and he has the same directv I do.

However I must say...netflix looks amazing on this set off the Apple TV! House of cards looked felt like I was at the movie theatre!

The blurry faces in the distance may be easier to see due to watching the larger 65 inch screen TV. I have found lots of sports games that the blurred faces are from the originating game. If your cable or satellite remote has a pause button, give it a try during some blurred distant faces and see if they clear up. If not the problem is from the picture source and not your TV.
N8rbug likes this.
post #1451 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Once 4K becomes the standard then the 4K cameras used for sports will be sharp and clear even at a distance with fast moving players.
post #1452 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

Once 4K becomes the standard then the 4K cameras used for sports will be sharp and clear even at a distance with fast moving players.

(?) 4K is not going to help matters.  A lack of spatial resolution is not the problem here.

1. Even if it were 1000000p, the sample-and-hold nature of the LCD along with your eye tracking will cause a smear against the retina.  And that's even if it were captured perfectly.
  2. And regardless of spatial resolution, there is still a shutter effect: you'll have an induced blur in the source material as a moving object is captured to the sensor.

Neither of those will change.

WhiteSands likes this.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #1453 of 4418 Old 02-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

(?) 4K is not going to help matters.  A lack of spatial resolution is not the problem here.
  1. Even if it were 1000000p, the sample-and-hold nature of the LCD along with your eye tracking will cause a smear against the retina.  And that's even if it were captured perfectly.
  2. And regardless of spatial resolution, there is still a shutter effect: you'll have an induced blur in the source material as a moving object is captured to the sensor.

Neither of those will change

Good answer.

Hopefully in the future some TV manufacture may come up with a better screen illumination that would be similar in cost of the LEDs. I prefer a self illuminating screen source which eliminates any panel distortions. Similar to plasma, but 'without' the burn-in, lower brightness, extra heat, heavy weight and diminishing picture over the years.
post #1454 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 12:28 AM

I finally got my 850 last week. I found some issues with it, and spent some time with the unit to see if I could become somewhat oblivious to the issues over time. With my last set, this involved some major blooming concerns, and I found after time I forgave that set its problems -- but this may have to do with the fact that this was a far less pricey piece of kit. Either way, the camera somewhat pronounces the issues, but they are still extremely noticeable.

On light scenes, I notice considerable banding. The unit I saw in store did not suffer from this issue, and while I have tried many different settings, none of them has alleviated the problem. The second issue is clouding. It is very noticeable on dark scenes, and there are times where shadows appear almost blue in color due to the brightness of these areas. Just to clarify, dimming is set to standard, Brightness is at 49, gamma at -2. I'm using Cinema 1, but the problem is prevalent on nearly every Scene selection. I've read through this entire thread, and am a bit concerned (and somewhat confused) as to the severity of the issues. Not sure if this is worthy of a return, or if others are tolerating these problems as well. For what it's worth, during well-lit and bright scenes, the PQ on this panel is absolutely stunning -- nothing short of breathtaking. But during pans, even slow ones, the banding is distracting. I use scenes from Ender's Game and Gravity (quickly becoming favorites for checking PQ) in which there is a lot of what is supposed to be inky black space in the background, and I find the edges of the set are tinged blue. Thoughts?

post #1455 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 02:37 AM

Liked: 17
As i have said before,my w850a has none of the aforementioned problems,is it possible the w850 is being tried and found guilty for the offenses of cable providers and FTA tv stations in broadcasting sub-standard programming material.

This tv has first rate picture processing hardware,in fact one of the best i have seen,it can make most good quality SD programming look almost HD,but of course it will always suffer the limitations of its led technology, but definitely at the head of the led pack
WhiteSands and Cayloe like this.
post #1456 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonmind View Post

I finally got my 850 last week. I found some issues with it, and spent some time with the unit to see if I could become somewhat oblivious to the issues over time. With my last set, this involved some major blooming concerns, and I found after time I forgave that set its problems -- but this may have to do with the fact that this was a far less pricey piece of kit. Either way, the camera somewhat pronounces the issues, but they are still extremely noticeable.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

First, I see nothing wrong with your TV, it looks as good as mine.

Your first picture has clouding due to the black screen and your LEDs in the panel are running at full brightness. This looks like a setup screen from your TV maybe trying to install a game set or it could also be from your game set itself. I would not consider any problems you see from a setup screen as thinking something is wrong with your TV. When playing games if you do see problems, try calling the game manufacture like if it's a PS3 or other, as their support may have some advice to clear up any problems.

Your second picture is not a very good of source to be looking for any screen problems. The i-manual comes from inside the TV and is cheaply lit for the manual's use. Best to find a good signal source from your cable or satellite HD source, pause the picture the do your screen shots. I find my best screen shots are when using the Standard or Custom picture modes.

Here below is a picture of my set with no signal as seen on the screen. Notice the black screen but the LEDs are fully lit clearly showing clouding at the bottom of the screen. That's not a reflection from the blue backlight behind my TV.

Here is a early screen shot of my i-manual for comparison. Mine also shows the same dirty screen although my TV has a great picture.

With a proper signal applied your blacks should look like this below. Excuse the advertisement, this picture was taken when my set was just a few weeks old.

post #1457 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonmind View Post

On light scenes, I notice considerable banding. The unit I saw in store did not suffer from this issue, and while I have tried many different settings, none of them has alleviated the problem. The second issue is clouding. It is very noticeable on dark scenes, and there are times where shadows appear almost blue in color due to the brightness of these areas. Just to clarify, dimming is set to standard, Brightness is at 49, gamma at -2. I'm using Cinema 1, but the problem is prevalent on nearly every Scene selection. I've read through this entire thread, and am a bit concerned (and somewhat confused) as to the severity of the issues. Not sure if this is worthy of a return, or if others are tolerating these problems as well. For what it's worth, during well-lit and bright scenes, the PQ on this panel is absolutely stunning -- nothing short of breathtaking. But during pans, even slow ones, the banding is distracting. I use scenes from Ender's Game and Gravity (quickly becoming favorites for checking PQ) in which there is a lot of what is supposed to be inky black space in the background, and I find the edges of the set are tinged blue. Thoughts?

That is how my tv is when I'm watching a movie with dark scenes, you can clearly see the clouding and the blueish tint like you described when it is dark. To me that is unacceptable when you're paying this kind of money for a tv. Mine is a bit worse than yours with the clouding. The whole left side of my screen is like that.

post #1458 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is how my tv is when I'm watching a movie with dark scenes, you can clearly see the clouding and the blueish tint like you described when it is dark. To me that is unacceptable when you're paying this kind of money for a tv. Mine is a bit worse than yours with the clouding. The whole left side of my screen is like that.

Probably best to dump the Sony and try some other brand TV. My set don't have these problems you mention with a good picture source. The bluish tint you mention, check to see if your Color Temp is set to Cool. Try something else like Neutral or Warm 1 if it's listed. Sounds like you may have a damaged panel the way you describe it, especially while watching a movie. Your TV has a year guarantee, call your seller and tell them about what you seeing.

I never have seen any clouding on my screen while watching HD or SD programs from the Dish Network satellite or when watching a blu-ray movie.
N8rbug likes this.
post #1459 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, unacceptable.

Few questions, none of them guaranteed to be indicting of anything, but important to know:

1. Is the backlight maxed out?
  2. Are you on "Vivid"?
  3. Are you using a "Cool" color temperature?
  4. Have you played with brightness/contrast while lowering the backlight?

post #1460 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I never have seen any clouding on my screen while watching HD or SD programs from the Dish Network satellite or when watching a blu-ray movie.

WHAT HE SAID........:-)
WhiteSands and Cayloe like this.
post #1461 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 09:21 AM

Liked: 10
I am now on my second set and there was 0 clouding on either set, which is awesome. But, the first had terrible vertical banding right through the center. Sony replaced it with no questions asked. The second set which just got less than a week ago still has some banding in the panel but it's more of a bull eyes shape and you can only see it at times. Not sure if it's worth bitching to Sony again about it.
post #1462 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

I think it would be best those that have these banding issues, clouding, crescent moons or bulls eye on their TV screens. Yes, I would love to see your complaints only if you would take a full frame picture of your screen with a good quality HDTV show is on the screen or when playing a blu-ray movie.

Your not showing me anything when using the i-manual or setup screen. The angle shots are fine if they are within Sony's 44.5 degree viewing angle centered out from the TV screen. Some taking screen shots of their screen from high angles higher than when they would be viewing their TV while sitting down. These angles outside the viewing angle will usually show some kind of screen problem, even my set does the same. Inside the viewing area I get a great picture as you can see in my many HD screen shots I have posted.

I had my doubts not long after I bought my set and was disgusted ready to call and have it exchanged. My problem was lots of pixelation and motion blur when watching pro football games. I was watching the games using my off-air antenna in my backyard. I could get a touch sharper HD picture this way. One day during the start of a regular season game I decided to switch and watch the same Fox Network game using the Dish receiver. I then noticed I had no more pixelation and the motion blur was reduced to a minimum on fast moving close ups of the players. I was lucky I had tried all the motionflow settings and left it set back to default, motionflow - standard which I found worked best for these pro games. So i'm saying some of these problems can be your source of signal and not always the new TV.

I do know they may be some with defective panel problems. I have never seen any screen shots yet when a quality HD picture is on the screen, please post them for all to see. It would also be a good idea to include with your screen shot if your using Sony's factory defaults and which picture mode, Vivid, Standard or Custom. It's ok to say other settings, knowing your using your own or someone else's settings.

Sorry for my rant, but I'm tired of seeing all these terrible screen shots of non HD content pictures. People complaining of various screen problems then taking a screen shot of the i-manual or setup screen in my book, don't count. They are plenty of white or black screens in the regular HDTV shows where you can pause the show using your cable box or satellite receiver's remote to do so, then take a screen shot.

I don't doubt some of these TV's have bad panels but I would much rather see the problem using actual HD content with your screen shots.

whitesands
N8rbug and Cayloe like this.
post #1463 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 02:41 PM

I just want to thank WhiteSands for the incredible help and advices he has given me smile.gif sadly my set had problems with SD, but it looked awesome with HD.
post #1464 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 03:09 PM

I think the i-manual is the easiest way to have an high "white" screen to show the COMMON unreliable uniformity due to backlight system.

To put the accent on this I create a full white 1920x1080 jpg just to take the pic I posted before.

I don't understand why you say this is meaningless.

Moreover the issue is even more disturbing when watching tv during specific shows like a ski race when the impression is of a camera with fog on the lens.

To take OUTSTANDING screenshot with a lot of different vibrant colours and contrast point out just the very good quality of the screen tecnology, and we all agree to that, but doesn't make evidence of the problem in object as you cannot read if light and shadows in certain areas are given by the image or by a panel issue.

The issue of the poor white ( backlight ) uniformity is totally hardware related, meaning the way the light of the edge leds is spread through the screen by the light guide plate.

It seems to me that after about 20/30 hours the problem was gradually receding.

maybe with the time the warm of electronics of something like that will increase the uniformity returned by the "diffusion plate".

but for shure to disable filter in image setup and so on to free computational capacity will not solve the matter in any way as is unrelated.

BTW today I returned my set to the seller and I'm waiting a brand new one directly from the local sony logistics.

post #1465 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 101
OK my new calibration meter came on Saturday so I was calibrating this TV for 6 hours lol. The two point gray scale which after tweaking is spot on now. The settings in this TV don't support 10p gray scale but I did run it after the 2 point and they where all very much in spec.
After a couple changes color calibrated dead on spec. I am going to check things out the next couple days then I will post all my setting for you guys.
jpw16 likes this.
post #1466 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceit View Post

I think the i-manual is the easiest way to have an high "white" screen to show the COMMON unreliable uniformity due to backlight system.
To put the accent on this I create a full white 1920x1080 jpg just to take the pic I posted before.
I don't understand why you say this is meaningless.
Moreover the issue is even more disturbing when watching tv during specific shows like a ski race when the impression is of a camera with fog on the lens.

To take OUTSTANDING screenshot with a lot of different vibrant colours and contrast point out just the very good quality of the screen technology, and we all agree to that, but doesn't make evidence of the problem in object as you cannot read if light and shadows in certain areas are given by the image or by a panel issue.

The issue of the poor white ( backlight ) uniformity is totally hardware related, meaning the way the light of the edge leds is spread through the screen by the
light guide plate.
It seems to me that after about 20/30 hours the problem was gradually receding

maybe with the time the warm of electronics of something like that will increase the uniformity returned by the "diffusion plate".

but for shure to disable filter in image setup and so on to free computational capacity will not solve the matter in any way as is unrelated.

BTW today I returned my set to the seller and I'm waiting a brand new one directly from the local sony logistics.

Sorry to hear about your panel problems. Hopefully your new set will be a good one. I still don't like using Sony's makeshift i-manual to be used to show image problems. I say makeshift, due to the screen looking dirty. A normal HD screen like on a white background contains a Y-signal which brightens the whites and colors from the signal source. A picture using this HD quality should look good unless their is problem with the panel. A white jpg you mentioned if bright enough should also work ok as a good picture source for a screen shot.

I will agree on the heat in the panel clearing things up. My set is now 6 months old and it makes a fantastic HD picture with enough brightness, including it's bright colors. If your interested I posted my current settings back on page 37.
post #1467 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 04:11 PM

The Hobbit on Blue Ray. Left side of screen is completely washed out.

post #1468 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic View Post

OK my new calibration meter came on Saturday so I was calibrating this TV for 6 hours lol. The two point gray scale which after tweaking is spot on now. The settings in this TV don't support 10p gray scale but I did run it after the 2 point and they where all very much in spec.
After a couple changes color calibrated dead on spec. I am going to check things out the next couple days then I will post all my setting for you guys.

I'm looking forward to your results. You have to calibrate many sets to get your speed up. It's a tedious thing to do and is for sure time consuming. I have no idea why the TV manufactures can't get their TV's to a closer tolerance to the calibrated settings. I say that and they have really improved over the settings of the sets made 5 years ago.
post #1469 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Hobbit on Blue Ray. Left side of screen is completely washed out.

I can see your flash may have also went off. Even so I can easily see the problem your talking about. Have you changed the TV picture settings and which picture mode were you using. How about your blu ray players picture settings. I wish I knew how far into the Hobbit movie you were so I could compare my sets picture using the Hobbit disk.
post #1470 of 4418 Old 02-24-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:

I can see your flash may have also went off. Even so I can easily see the problem your talking about. Have you changed the TV picture settings and which picture mode were you using. How about your blu ray players picture settings. I wish I knew how far into the Hobbit movie you were so I could compare my sets picture using the Hobbit disk.

This was taken with no flash on standard mode with backlight at 5. This is in the beginning of the movie when they all go to Bilbo's house for the first time and they are singing in front of the fire.

Ahzari likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page