Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I am really enjoying my TV now with the settings from AVmanic.  Thanks!

One issue I have noticed that just occurred for the first time last night is that the TV quickly turned off and back while watching satellite. I did not think anything of it at the time thinking it was just a satellite glitch.  However, this morning after plugging in the new Cinema calibrations, I was checking out Ender's Game and the TV did the same thing,  It turned on and off really quickly.

Anyone hear about or experienced this issue or have any idea what it could mean?

TV is just on its 15th day now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynodon View Post

I am really enjoying my TV now with the settings from AVmanic.  Thanks!

One issue I have noticed that just occurred for the first time last night is that the TV quickly turned off and back while watching satellite. I did not think anything of it at the time thinking it was just a satellite glitch.  However, this morning after plugging in the new Cinema calibrations, I was checking out Ender's Game and the TV did the same thing,  It turned on and off really quickly.

Anyone hear about or experienced this issue or have any idea what it could mean?

TV is just on its 15th day now!

Don't know I did have mine freeze up on me two times and reboot about 3 week's ago but it hasn't happened since. I would just keep an eye on if for now. My Sammy does it sometimes to.
post #1533 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Since I cant exchange it after today, would you opt to just exchange it for a new one or wait and see if it continues in which case I would no longer have the option to exchange but only repair.

Also, I would assume the repair would involve opening up the panel which may introduce other issues?

post #1534 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
AVmanic when you get some free time could you please do a 3d calibration??
jpw16 likes this.
post #1535 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 12:47 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic View Post

OK guys you ask for a Cinema calibration and here it is. It metered in better than standard and the gray scale and colors are spot on Rec709.

Scene Select: Cinema

Setting Memory: Common

Picture Mode: Cinema 1

Backlight: 6

Picture: 90

Brightness: 50

Color: 55

Hue: 0

Color Temperature: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

Noise Reduction: Off

Dot Noise Reduction: Off

Reality Creation: Off

Video Area Detection: Off (gray out)

Resolution: 10 (gray out)

Noise Filtering: min (gray out)

Motionflow: Standard

CineMotion: Auto

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector: Off

Adv. Contract Enhancer: Off

Gamma: 0

LED Dynamic Control: Standard

Auto Light Limiter: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Color Off

White Balance

R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -6
B-Gain: -5
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

Detail Enhancer: Off

Edge Enhancer: Off

Skin Enhancer: Off (gray out)

Display Speed: Off (gray out)

Eco: Off

OK guys I am done for a while or the wife is going to kill me. Have fun.

This may be a very amateurish question, but I just got my TV yesterday and haven't been able to play with it much. How are you saving these different settings? There are only the Standard, Vivid, and Custom options for picture quality. How should I save your general selections along with the Cinema1, and potentially the 3D calibrations? Do I replace standard, vivid, and custom and just remember which is which? Or is there a standard, vivid, and custom for each "Scene Select" (General, Cinema1, etc)? 

bodean and WhiteSands like this.
post #1536 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 12:57 PM

I tried the cinema settings but I went back and forth and I like the standard color settings you posted yest. better lol. A little to dull with cinema for me even though its prob. more accurate.
post #1537 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Eco mode off.

Sorry just be clear under the Eco folder light sensor on or off?
post #1538 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw16 View Post

Quote:

Eco mode off.

Sorry just be clear under the Eco folder light sensor on or off?
Off
jpw16 likes this.
post #1539 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonmind View Post

I wish that were the case. While the camera does exaggerate the effect, for me this is close to what I'm seeing with the naked eye. Again, it's not the camera, or the settings; I think it's safe to say we've determined the issue is with the panel, because even with my DSLR using the right settings for low-light conditions, the image looks nowhere close to yours (or many others I've seen in this and the W900 Owner's thread).

I can see your point requiring the exchange. Glad to hear you using a quality DSLR camera for your screen shots. I put a screen shot of that same frame from my set here below your picture. I hope your new set includes the deep blacks as it's designed to do.

commonmind likes this.
post #1540 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

These are my Vivid and Standard settings I use to get the deep blacks on my set. I try to keep my set as close to the factory settings as I can.

Scene Selection, set to General.....This prevents the TV from auto switching off of your Vivid or Standard settings.

Setting Memory, set to Common....The settings will be used on all inputs like your blu-ray player and cable box.

PICTURE MODE - STANDARD Do the Reset here, then do these two settings below. All other Standard and Advanced settings are default.

Backlight, set to Max......This one step really brings up the picture quality and color.

Picture Mode - set to Cool

PICTURE MODE - VIVID..... Do the Reset again here. All other Vivid settings are default.

Backlight...Max is default, lower to 7 if you like a less bright picture.

Color, sets to 57

Sharpness, sets to 50

commonmind and Cayloe like this.
post #1541 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 03:46 PM

No sure I would agree with the deep black statement. A calibrated TV with have better black because the gray scale is to spec. But everyone looks different setting that's why I just posted the calibrated ones and if other want to use them cool.
The is a pic of the news lol with the new setting I posted today. For those that think white is white with warm 2.atageqah.jpg
jpw16, commonmind and WhiteSands like this.
post #1542 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

double post
post #1543 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No sure I would agree with the deep black statement. A calibrated TV with have better black because the gray scale is to spec. But everyone looks different setting that's why I just posted the calibrated ones and if other want to use them cool.

Fantastic picture quality with you new calibrated settings. One thing easily overlooked in the hours you spend with working with the calibrated process. Is that not only does it correct the colors, and color levels but also the various shades or grays to blacks. You settings allows one to see details into the blacks/ reds much better than the factory settings.

I will let you know when I put in your new settings hopefully in the next day or so.
post #1544 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 04:00 PM

I flipped through some scenes of dark knight and the scene where its all black buildings near the beginning looks great with good shadow detail using AVmanic's 1st settings(standard). The scenes of the boat and water looks great color wise also.
post #1545 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Off
Thank you! These settings look great on my TV.
post #1546 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

Quote:

Fantastic picture quality with you new calibrated settings. One thing easily overlooked in the hours you spend with working with the calibrated process. Is that not only does it correct the colors, and color levels but also the various shades or grays to blacks. You settings allows one to see details into the blacks much better than the factory settings.

I will let you know when I put in your new settings hopefully in the next day or so.
Sounds good looking forward to hearing your input.smile.gif
They are not going to be as vivid as you are use to so give them some time.
So anyway been doing a little read about Reality Creation. And found how it's programing works. I found really good setting for making the picture very sharp and it might help the people that talk about burry. So here their are.
Set
Sharpness to 50
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution: 40
Noise Filtering: Min
Leave it on manual then.

If you want to test this just leave you Auto, Manual, Off box up and switch it back and forth from Off to Manual and what the picture detail get better ever faces.
post #1547 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM

Sorry about the auto correct spelling my phone loves to do....frown.gif
post #1548 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:

So anyway been doing a little read about Reality Creation. And found how it's programing works. I found really good setting for making the picture very sharp and it might help the people that talk about burry. So here their are.
Set
Sharpness to 50
Leave it on manual then.

If you want to test this just leave you Auto, Manual, Off box up and switch it back and forth from Off to Manual and what the picture detail get better ever faces.

Do you suggest these in combination with your standard settings? Are you going to leave it or were you simply testing the feature?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #1549 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin0901 View Post

Quote:

Set
Sharpness to 50
Leave it on manual then.

Do you suggest these in combination with your standard settings? Are you going to leave it or were you simply testing the feature?
Yes you can use them with the setting posted. I did more testing after I posted them. It will be fine. And if you don't like the change just revert them back. Give them a try I think you will see more detail.
jpw16 likes this.
post #1550 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Yes you can use them with the setting posted. I did more testing after I posted them. It will be fine. And if you don't like the change just revert them back. Give them a try I think you will see more detail.

In my opinion the setting provided are a little too dark and lacking color. Does this sound right?

As of now, I prefer whitesand's settings with more color and brighter whites. I will continue to compare throughout the week and post again.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #1551 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 PM

I like AVmanic's standard calibrated settings a lot and the colors are rich looking without being over saturated and super bright that washes out small details. I tried the cinema settings and they are more correct but for me I like the standard calibrated settings better.I was watching nfl network channel and switching between reg. standard and his calibrated standard settings I could see small lines etc disappear cuz it was to colorful or bright so it lost details so his calibrated settings are a lot better. Whitesand's settings are great and colors pop and def are a great starting point but coming from a calibrated plasma that chadB did I enjoy AVmanic's settings as well.
bodean likes this.
post #1552 of 4309 Old 02-26-2014, 11:38 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

In my opinion the setting provided are a little too dark and lacking color. Does this sound right?

As of now, I prefer whitesand's settings with more color and brighter whites. I will continue to compare throughout the week and post again.

This sounds spot on. AVmanic's settings are more accurate, WhiteSand's settings sacrifice accuracy for a more visually arresting image. But this doesn't mean one or the other is "correct" since it's totally subjective, and you're allowed to enjoy the image the way it appeals to you most. I for one, use both. While watching Blu-ray's and most HD video sources, I like to use accurate, Rec709 settings (AVmanic's calibration settings hit these on the head). When I'm viewing photos (which i do often, since my wife is a photographer), play games, and watch some regular SD sources, I use WhiteSand's Vivid settings. WhiteSand's settings especially make Assassin's Creed IV look like an advertisement for a Bahama cruise, and anything on the Wii U looks amazingly vibrant, with the colors and visual pop you'd probably imagine Nintendo had in mind when creating their franchises. For a real treat, get ahold of Wind Waker HD if you own a Wii U. It's worth the price of admission alone, just for the beautiful scenery and amazing colors.
post #1553 of 4309 Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonmind View Post

Quote:

This sounds spot on. AVmanic's settings are more accurate, WhiteSand's settings sacrifice accuracy for a more visually arresting image. But this doesn't mean one or the other is "correct" since it's totally subjective, and you're allowed to enjoy the image the way it appeals to you most. I for one, use both. While watching Blu-ray's and most HD video sources, I like to use accurate, Rec709 settings (AVmanic's calibration settings hit these on the head). When I'm viewing photos (which i do often, since my wife is a photographer), play games, and watch some regular SD sources, I use WhiteSand's Vivid settings. WhiteSand's settings especially make Assassin's Creed IV look like an advertisement for a Bahama cruise, and anything on the Wii U looks amazingly vibrant, with the colors and visual pop you'd probably imagine Nintendo had in mind when creating their franchises. For a real treat, get ahold of Wind Waker HD if you own a Wii U. It's worth the price of admission alone, just for the beautiful scenery and amazing colors.
That's a good point there is a use for both Whitesands and my setting that's the great thing set my Cinema settings for movies and his Standard Vivid for gaming or what ever you like. That way you have both worlds. I understand not everyone likes Rec709 setting and that is cool you only need to make you happy:)
commonmind likes this.
post #1554 of 4309 Old 02-27-2014, 05:04 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Set
Sharpness to 50
Leave it on manual then.

AVmanic, plugged in your Cinema settings last night and i think they look even better than the standard ones. So thanks again for sharing. Have you tried increasing the "Advanced Contrast Enhancer" to 'Medium' and/or reduced Gamma to -2? If not, try it when you get a chance and let me know what you think. Im gonna play with this 'Reality Creation' when i get a chance.
post #1555 of 4309 Old 02-27-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gOLdEn gOd View Post

Quote:

Set
Sharpness to 50
Leave it on manual then.

AVmanic, plugged in your Cinema settings last night and i think they look even better than the standard ones. So thanks again for sharing. Have you tried increasing the "Advanced Contrast Enhancer" to 'Medium' and/or reduced Gamma to -2? If not, try it when you get a chance and let me know what you think. Im gonna play with this 'Reality Creation' when i get a chance.
I did try Gamma -2 when calibrating gray scale and that is when you use that. And I had better results with it set to 0. A.C.E at med. I will meter that out when I get time to. I seen that CNET used that with there W900a cal settings. I will take a look at it for ya. Thanks and yes I think the cinema setting look better to me as well.
post #1556 of 4309 Old 02-27-2014, 05:45 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I did try Gamma -2 when calibrating gray scale and that is when you use that. And I had better results with it set to 0. A.C.E at med. I will meter that out when I get time to. I seen that CNET used that with there W900a cal settings. I will take a look at it for ya. Thanks and yes I think the cinema setting look better to me as well.

Thank you! Cnet's W900a settings is exactly where i got the idea of setting gamma to -2 and ACE to medium. Im just not a 100% sure i should use those setings since the W900a is not the exact same TV as the W850a. But I'll just wait for you to look at it and see what you think. Changing something like gamma might even affect some other settings, as you already know. Btw, just to clarify, your cinema settings had ACE set to 'off' right or was it a typo and you meant 'med'?
post #1557 of 4309 Old 02-27-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gOLdEn gOd View Post

Quote:

Thank you! Cnet's W900a settings is exactly where i got the idea of setting gamma to -2 and ACE to medium. Im just not a 100% sure i should use those setings since the W900a is not the exact same TV as the W850a. But I'll just wait for you to look at it and see what you think. Changing something like gamma might even affect some other settings, as you already know. Btw, just to clarify, your cinema settings had ACE set to 'off' right or was it a typo and you meant 'med'?
Yes in my Cinema setup it is set to Off.
post #1558 of 4309 Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynodon View Post

Since I cant exchange it after today, would you opt to just exchange it for a new one or wait and see if it continues in which case I would no longer have the option to exchange but only repair.

Also, I would assume the repair would involve opening up the panel which may introduce other issues?

Well, the Geek Squad took a look at my TV and it seems that I have a bad computer board.

Replacement TV is due on Monday!

post #1559 of 4309 Old 02-27-2014, 08:27 PM

As I mentioned, this is my first high-end TV. I was not familiar with Rec. 709 and other calibration standards. I was always under the impression that the brighter the better. I really appreciate the minor details that AVmanic's standard setting provide. I like testing on a paused close up in high def. You can really notice the difference when switching between the settings. As much as I appreciate the 4K like detail that these settings provide, I still feel like I am watching TV with sunglasses on. The detail is extremely accurate, but the colors and white levels are not. Colors are dark and whites are grey or even yellowish orange if you are using the warm2 setting. I am not asking for a super bright picture like the vivid setting, but I would prefer the brighter colors and whiter whites. The colors of Whitesands standard settings mixed with the detail of AVmanic's standard settings would be ideal, but it seems like a choice between the two has to be made.

I have tried Av's cinema1 settings and I feel it hass the same feel as the general/standard settings without the crisp detail. Basically what I am getting at, is that each of these settings posted are good for particular situations and preferences. Personally I would prefer Whitesands standard settings for normal every day watching and AVmanic's standard settings for high quality viewing like bluray and other movies. So my question...is it at all possible to program both Whitesand's and AVmanics STANDARD settings? In my opinion the AV custom and cinema settings do not come close to his standard settings, so it's not as easy as programming WS's on standard and AV's on custom and/or cinema.

Thanks for everyone's help and input on this forum. Your insight and knowledge really helps an ameteur high-end TV owner like myself haha
post #1560 of 4309 Old 02-28-2014, 01:37 AM

Liked: 11

Got my 65" 850a on Monday and the colours on this set are just amazing.

I watched Game of Thrones S3 in 1080p and it just blew me away.

The Sony 65 850a is massive upgrade from my 50” Panasonic plasma I purchased back in 2008.

I do have a couple of issues with the set and I hope they are easily explained/fixed.

1. When trying to connect to my Wifi the 850a somehow causes my Netgear router to reset, I still have not been able to connect to the Wifi. Maybe it resets with an unsupported encryption used by the router?

2. I tried to play Avatar of my 32gb USB 2.0 stick and also of my external HDD and found the playback to be very choppy and pixelated in fast moving scenes. Is this due to a high bitrate of the MKV file and not having enough bandwidth for USB playback? All my other 720p content plays flawlessly.

FYI Avatar is 1080p and 11gig in size, plays fine on my pc from hdd.

I have been scouring the net for the past week and I haven't found an answer to these issues, if it's been posted before sorry and if possible please point me in the right direction of the fix.

Thx in advance

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread - Xbr65x850a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page