Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 58 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post

I noticed that the WB settings did NOT change when I reset the standard settings. I wonder if the issues with WB settings are a feature or a bug?

I noticed that the White Balance settings are remembered for each Color Temperature setting. So this may be the reason.
leonmckee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Colorful Ocean

post #1713 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

Colorful Ocean

See I will always have to drop in to see the great pic's you always post.smile.gif
post #1714 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Love the colors this set makes.

Left click on any pictures that have advertisements next to them. Remember to crank up your monitors brightness for the best view.

post #1715 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Here are my simple few settings that seems to give a great picture.

Scene Selection, set to General.....This prevents the TV from auto switching off of your Vivid or Standard settings.

Setting Memory, set to Common.....The settings will be used on all inputs like your blu-ray player and cable box.

If you have messed with your settings it would be best to do the reset under each 'picture mode' first.
Any settings not listed are set to factory default.

PICTURE MODE - STANDARD Setting. (Use Standard for most of your TV viewing)

Backlight, set to Max This one step really brings up the picture quality.

Color Temperature to Neutral

I doubt you will find many other brands that can equal the picture quality of this Sony TV.
.........................................................................................

PICTURE MODE - VIVID......4 setting changes here.

Backlight, sets to Max, some may prefer 7 with less brightness.

Color, sets to 57

Color Temperature to Neutral

Sharpness, sets to 50

PM me if you want my Custom Settings

Some mention dark sides or vignetting on their sets. PM me and I will send you a fix that will remove near all of it.
leonmckee and memorex1 like this.
post #1716 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mainly Cnet and then Consumer Reports magazine said that turning off these noise filters will give you a better picture. So I did on all three Picture Modes - Vivid, Standard and Custom.

Turn these Off below on all 3 Picture Modes:

Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction, DOT Noise Reduction, Video Area Detect, Smooth Gradation.

Leave Cine Motion set to Auto which is default.

Be sure to leave Reality Creation set to Auto and 'Motionflow to Standard' which is default and works great during pro football games.

I can't see much picture improvement as the set already looks great. This noise to Off may have just about have eliminated the little bit of banding I was seeing during some Hockey games.
I don't know if this helps the crescent moons that some see. I never could see them unless I used my camera and even then it was at a steep angle on the i-manual page.
Maybe it's just my old eyes. LOL

My set is now 6 months old and looks better then when it was new.

WS
leonmckee and Cayloe like this.
post #1717 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 07:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila7 View Post

I noticed that the White Balance settings are remembered for each Color Temperature setting. So this may be the reason.

Ok, I bet that's what's going on! Thanks for the feedback!

Leon McKee
post #1718 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Here are my simple few settings that seems to give a great picture.

Thanks for posting your settings. Each time you repost I update my bookmarks so thanks a bunch for being so thorough with each post!

Leon McKee
post #1719 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 08:45 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post

This TV is reviewed in the current (April) edition of “Sound & Vision" magazine.

Thank you for finding the Sound & Vision review of the Sony 65w850a. Below is the link to the article. Glad to see that this set is finally getting officially reviewed. Happy reading.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-kdl-65w850a-3d-hdtv
gOLdEn gOd likes this.
post #1720 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagster1 View Post

Thank you for finding the Sound & Vision review of the Sony 65w850a. Below is the link to the article. Glad to see that this set is finally getting officially reviewed. Happy reading.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-kdl-65w850a-3d-hdtv

Thanks for the link!
post #1721 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 09:33 AM

Liked: 20
Hi everyone
New here from the UK, we have the 65w855a over here. I have a great picture after metered calibration, still can't get why people use vivid setting. I would have to wear sunglasses! I know we don't get much sun in england but blimey that's bright.
Can't find anyone on a forum that has this model in UK, so it's been interesting to read of problems and setups on here.
If you set speakers to audio system does it pass Dolby digital to an amp?

Thanks
WhiteSands likes this.
post #1722 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 11:19 AM

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post

Ok, I bet that's what's going on! Thanks for the feedback!

Just noticed that in the Sound & Vision review they used Warm 2 for both 2D and 3D settings and have different Color Temp settings. I'm going to play with this and see if they save independently. They also used Cinema 2 for the 2D so maybe that has an impact on saving. I'm just curious because whatever settings we decide to make we want them to stick. We'll see!

Leon McKee
post #1723 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 02:00 PM

I seem to remember triluminos appeared about 2008 with a multicolored led backlight that was stopped due to its high cost. Maybe something like it?
post #1724 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadz View Post

Hi everyone
New here from the UK, we have the 65w855a over here. I have a great picture after metered calibration, still can't get why people use vivid setting. I would have to wear sunglasses! I know we don't get much sun in england but blimey that's bright.
Can't find anyone on a forum that has this model in UK, so it's been interesting to read of problems and setups on here.

Thanks

They are others her using the W855 set, one from the Netherlands, another from Italy. I'm not sure about the fellow in Australia though.

The Vivid setting works ok if you set it's backlight down to 6 or 7. Yes our W850 version also looks like sunlight with the default Vivid setting.

Setting the speakers to your external audio system should pass Dolby sound with no problem. I have my external audio A/V receiver set up using a HDMI cable although I have never tried using the Optical Audio.
toadz likes this.
post #1725 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone

Thanks
Kind of sorted it myself, the audio system will pass Dolby digital to an amp so the reference in the sound and vision review is wrongwrong. It doesn't pass DTS though.
post #1726 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Does anyone know how to rent a 3d movie on this set? I see that the sony unlimited service website touts 3d movies, but can't find them in my video unlimited app. I don't see Vudu either.
post #1727 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

They are others her using the W855 set, one from the Netherlands, another from Italy.
Quote:
I'm not sure about the fellow in Australia though
. yes he does have the w855:)

The Vivid setting works ok if you set it's backlight down to 6 or 7. Yes out W850 version also looks like sunlight with the default Vivid setting.

Setting the speakers to your external audio system should pass Dolby sound with no problem. I have my external audio set up using a HDMI cable although I have never tried using the Optical Audio.
post #1728 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:

Kind of sorted it myself, the audio system will pass Dolby digital to an amp so the reference in the sound and vision review is wrongwrong. It doesn't pass DTS though.

well it seems it does pass dts through arc but not through the optical connector,strange,welcome toadz,i see you read my reply on the av forums
WhiteSands likes this.
post #1729 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverrs View Post

Does anyone know how to rent a 3d movie on this set? I see that the sony unlimited service website touts 3d movies, but can't find them in my video unlimited app. I don't see Vudu either.

I looked at a few 3D online renters and the cost seemed higher that what I though would be a good price. I decided to buy them new or used from Amazon. Prices around $27 some come with a DVD and a copy disk to copy the movie to a portable video device including your computer.

I would recommend Avatar, The Hobbit and Gravity as being very popular 3D movies.

You can help your 3D performance by setting the 3D glasses brightness up to Full. With a 3D movie or trailer playing, press Home on the remote, settings, Preferences then 3D.

I heard that Netflix may pass up 3D to focus more on the 4K popularity.

post #1730 of 4645 Old 03-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post

Thanks AU for your help.

WS
post #1731 of 4645 Old 03-09-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post

well it seems it does pass dts through arc but not through the optical connector,strange,welcome toadz,i see you read my reply on the av forums
Hi and thanks for the recommendation, was just what I've been searching for.
post #1732 of 4645 Old 03-09-2014, 01:12 AM

Liked: 11
Some days ago I received the new set in substitution of the faulty one. This one was made in november and is flawless.
Awesome PQ, on this set there isn't any problem on white uniformity.
Your still picture are amazing and prove how good the image could be.
But I have to disagree with you on this:

Quote:

Be sure to leave Reality Creation set to Auto and 'Motionflow to Standard' which is default and works great during pro football games.

WS

leaving it to auto on my set causes continous shifting of contrast mask and sharpness. In some scenes like a written paper or the hairs of a news announcer is particularly boring as you can see it cicling endlessly from sharpen to soften image expecially on SD
At the end I prefer to set it to manual so it stick on an everage level
toadz likes this.
post #1733 of 4645 Old 03-09-2014, 03:29 AM

ive just picked up my 65w850a and so far so good with out of the box settings.  came from a 46" Samsung.

anyway, i haven't tried to change any settings yet but will try out @Whitesands to see how I got in maybe a few more days.

My first tv arrived and found a dead pixel near the centre, replaced and now have it mounted on the wall.  really impressed with the limited time ive had the tv

post #1734 of 4645 Old 03-09-2014, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I set up my new W850 last evening. It was a replacement for a W900, which was great but just a little too small. I was afraid the picture on the W850 wouldn't be as nice since the screen is ten inches larger and the technology included in the W850 isn't exactly the same as that in the W900. But it looks amazing! To my eyes, the picture is every bit as good, if not better, than the W900. I'm using the "Sound & Vision" settings which I really like. My set has no stuck pixels, wavy areas, clouding or flashlighting. There are those narrow darker/shadowy areas along the extreme left and right edges, but they're rarely distracting and certainly something I can live with.

The largest screen we've had in the past has been 60 inches, so this 65 incher is really fun to watch. Its definitely the upper limit for our fairly small living room, though. I really like the physical design of this TV. My wife and I both noticed that when the set is turned off, its size is not at all as overwhelming as we feared it might be. When its turned on, though, its size is apparent; and that's a good thing! I was especially pleased to see that the circular stand on the W850 doesn't reflect nearly the amount of light from the screen that the oddly shaped stand on the the W900 did. That was always a distraction.

We also needed a new TV stand and orderd this nifty one: http://www.amazon.com/TechCraft-Xii60W-60-Inch-Panel-Stand/dp/B002C8A79W. It got the always important thumbs up from my wife who said, without prompting, how attractive it is. Our W850 looks great on it.

So as you can tell, I'm very, very pleased with the new Sony. I'm glad I made the exchange for the larger screen. A TV this size is made for watching movies, and that's my plan for the upcoming week!
hx820atl and Cayloe like this.
post #1735 of 4645 Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:

I set up my new W850 last evening. It was a replacement for a W900, which was great but just a little too small. I was afraid the picture on the W850 wouldn't be as nice since the screen is ten inches larger and the technology included in the W850 isn't exactly the same as that in the W900. But it looks amazing! To my eyes, the picture is every bit as good, if not better, than the W900. I'm using the C-Net settings, which I really like. My set has no stuck pixels, wavy areas, clouding or flashlighting. There are those narrow darker/shadowy areas along the extreme left and right edges, but they're rarely distracting and certainly something I can live with.

The largest screen we've had in the past has been 60 inches, so this 65 incher is really fun to watch. Its definitely the upper limit for our fairly small living room, though. I really like the physical design of this TV. My wife and I both noticed that when the set is turned off, its size is not at all as overwhelming as we feared it might be. When its turned on, though, its size is apparent; and that's a good thing! I was especially pleased to see that the circular stand on the W850 doesn't reflect nearly the amount of light from the screen that the oddly shaped stand on the the W900 did. That was always a distraction.

We also needed a new TV stand and orderd this nifty one: http://www.amazon.com/TechCraft-Xii60W-60-Inch-Panel-Stand/dp/B002C8A79W. It got the always important thumbs up from my wife who said, without prompting, how attractive it is. Our W850 looks great on it.

So as you can tell, I'm very, very pleased with the new Sony. I'm glad I made the exchange for the larger screen. A TV this size is made for watching movies, and that's my plan for the upcoming week!

Congratulations on your new TV! Could you share with us the manufacturing date?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #1736 of 4645 Old 03-09-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gOLdEn gOd View Post

Congratulations on your new TV! Could you share with us the manufacturing date?

The manufacturing date is December, 2013.
post #1737 of 4645 Old 03-09-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:

The manufacturing date is December, 2013.

Thanks! Having my 2nd set delivered Tuesday!
post #1738 of 4645 Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 AM

Liked: 16
Anyone seeing a reason to wait for the 950B? I think I want to pick up this 850A like today. :-) Is this "X-tended Dynamic Range" new for the 950B? "Sony has implemented its proprietary X-tended Dynamic Range® in the W950B series to achieve a much more dynamic range of brightness with deeper blacks, more detailed gradation and higher peaks."

Because I could care less about the speakers, I never understand why people care about sound from the TV, who listens to the TV speakers?!?!?! Get a real stereo!! The new wedge design and stand looks horrid on the 950B. So if the display is the same as the 850A, I'd rather just pick it up now.
post #1739 of 4645 Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:

I set up my new W850 last evening. It was a replacement for a W900, which was great but just a little too small. I was afraid the picture on the W850 wouldn't be as nice since the screen is ten inches larger and the technology included in the W850 isn't exactly the same as that in the W900. But it looks amazing! To my eyes, the picture is every bit as good, if not better, than the W900. I'm using the C-Net settings, which I really like. My set has no stuck pixels, wavy areas, clouding or flashlighting. There are those narrow darker/shadowy areas along the extreme left and right edges, but they're rarely distracting and certainly something I can live with.

Congratulations! I sit 10 feet from my W850A and LOVE it smile.gif

Please post a link to the settings you're using from CNET. Thanks!

Leon McKee
post #1740 of 4645 Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 AM

Liked: 16
Man oh man. I must say, shopping for a new TV is about as much fun as punching myself in the face. I've spent a month reading every post and review out there on either this 850A or the Samsung F8000 LED or the Samsung F8500 plasma. Leaning towards this 850A. One key reason is the low input lag. But then after I pretty much decided this was the one I wanted, new 2014 models are around the corner. So, back to punching myself in the face.. ;-) Still think I am going for this one, just wanted to share that.

Right now I have a Mitsubishi 65" DLP WD-65733. I am assuming this Sony is going to be a decent update to that. Will be nice to have 3D as well.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page