post #181 of 4537 Old 10-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cg006 View Post

Here's one more. Took it with the iPhone. The others i took with iPad mini.
All lights off.....captured entire screen. You do see the side a little bit light with your eyes in complete darkness ...

I clicked onto your picture here for the large view. Again I say this w850a set has just as good of blacks as any plasma set I have ever seen. Sony for sure did their homework on this fine set.

Thanks for all you other pictures.
Cg006 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4537 Old 10-22-2013, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just pulled the trigger on this set. Ordered on Amazon and should be delivered next week on Tuesday!biggrin.gif
Cg006 likes this.
post #183 of 4537 Old 10-22-2013, 07:32 PM

Liked: 19
Figured I add a few more. Again... iPhone 5 cam and enabled HDR.. It accentuates the dark corners. Doesn't look that bad.
Still waiting to see some calibrated settings for this baby. It has pretty awesome black levels. And the color POPS. Very nice!

DaverJ and WhiteSands like this.
post #184 of 4537 Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So i've started to notice some bright spots / vertical banding on my set.. i hadn't noticed this before so i thought maybe its because I maxed out my backlight. going to mess around with the settings a bit more, ill post some pics later. Also I've noticed the 120hz (while better than some other sets) still introduces some blur and choppiness - even with a excellent source (blu-rays / oppo 105). I tried smooth, clear, and clear plus. The only one that didn't seem to introduce too many problems was the "standard" setting but it also doesn't look as good as smooth or clear IMO. Wonder how much better the w900s 240hz is compared to this; it might be a deal breaker for me cause I could understand when my 5 year old 120hz set would introduce some motion blur and choppiness, but i thought they would have had this figured out by now.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amp // Kef LS50s // 2x SVS SB2000
Analog:Pro-Ject RM5.1SE Turntable // Pro-Ject Tube Box II SE Phono Amp // Pro-ject Speed Box II
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 4k // Oppo BDP-105 // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
post #185 of 4537 Old 10-22-2013, 08:06 PM

Definitely not as smooth as the plasma. We got some Sony Bravia xbr tvs at work from about 2011..... Kinda looks the same ... Also.....

Wonder why Sonys 4k tvs are also only 120hz?
post #186 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Definitely not as smooth as the plasma. We got some Sony Bravia xbr tvs at work from about 2011..... Kinda looks the same ... Also.....

Wonder why Sonys 4k tvs are also only 120hz?

I read this set has a 2.2 Ghz quad processor as many of the 2014 larger screen sets are going the quad processor route. I'm sure the 4K Sony' use lots of processor power to get to the 4K picture level.

I can live with the 120hz refresh rate, but for a nice set as this one is I wish it were faster.

I found my serial number by pressing, Home on the remote. then using the right arrow go to Settings, Product Support then Contact Sony. Here you will find the Customer Service phone numbers along with the serial number of your set to be used for Registration.
post #187 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Figured I add a few more. Again... iPhone 5 cam and enabled HDR.. It accentuates the dark corners. Doesn't look that bad.
Still waiting to see some calibrated settings for this baby. It has pretty awesome black levels. And the color POPS. Very nice!

Thanks for the many pictures from your new w850a TV.
post #188 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

No more plasma's for me after my $2700 Panasonic went out after 2 years use. Panasonic estimates $500 to fix it. My though then was it may go another 2 years do this all over again. I did enjoy it's great picture and 600hz speed. I messed up big time by not buying the square trade extended warranty though Amazon. I just ordered the 5-yr warranty for this new Sony 65" set on the Amazon site by typing B005STXQWC into their search window. I read in their many customer reviews, they will refund your original set price if it can't be fixed in the home. That give me great peace of mind.

you know you can buy the 3 year Square trade warranty @ Costco for $100+tax.I got a buddy who has a member ship buy one for me.
It wont be a whole 5 years, only covered for 4 (it picks up after Sonys 1yr)....but you'll save about 400 bux.... your call.. is the extra year worth the extra 400 and peace of mind or take a chance on that last year...
post #189 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

No Post..
post #190 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

you know you can buy the 3 year Square trade warranty @ Costco for $100+tax.I got a buddy who has a member ship buy one for me.
It wont be a whole 5 years, only covered for 4 (it picks up after Sonys 1yr)....but you'll save about 400 bux.... your call.. is the extra year worth the extra 400 and peace of mind or take a chance on that last year...

That is a really good deal and works though the square trade people. We never used Costco as they are located 80 miles from here in El Paso and Las Cruces. I been using Amazon from the late 90's and decided to stay with them. I got the price match from amazon so the 5-year square trade deal ended up costing me $297.

No doubt their will be lots of extended warranties bought due to the many TV set customers buying larger screens and multiple sets.
post #191 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 AM

If you know anyone that has an account have them buy it for you online.
post #192 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I heard in another thread I believe that you can purchase an extended warranty through COSCO without being a member at all. I think IIRC that it
was a few more dollars than the $100 if you are a member..
Gerry
post #193 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 02:32 PM

Liked: 18
White sands thanks for the pics. But i must say they make me really nervous to buy this set. How exaggerated do you believe they ate. I swung by best buy and hhgregg over the weekend and neither has this set on display. I don't think they had the 900a either for that matter. I've been holding back waiting for a few reviews to show up out a chance to see either before i order but those shots really make me hesitate.

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
post #194 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you know anyone that has an account have them buy it for you online.

I already went with the square-trade deal. I don't know anybody out here that are members of Costco. No doubt that would sure be the best extended warranty for a the lowest price.
post #195 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loader963 View Post

White sands thanks for the pics. But i must say they make me really nervous to buy this set. How exaggerated do you believe they ate. I swung by best buy and hhgregg over the weekend and neither has this set on display. I don't think they had the 900a either for that matter. I've been holding back waiting for a few reviews to show up out a chance to see either before i order but those shots really make me hesitate.

I would say go ahead and buy this set. It's great to have a large 65" picture to look at and including the extra colors this set produces. It has really good sound although I did push all the equalizer levers up to max. That's about the same as moving the bass, treble levers to max to get a wider range of audio. This set has more than enough brightness if needed. I like Sony's idea of working toward more colors on these high end TV's. I read up on the 4K sets but they cost a lot more and the pro reviewers said, the 4K improvement is only seen within a foot or two from the screen. At normal viewing distance 7 to 9 feet the 1080 set looks just as good.
post #196 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 02:59 PM

Liked: 18
Thanks i got a home theater so sound isn't an issue but i sit 12' from eyes to TV. Was really checking that 70" Vizio but all the complaints sent me away leery. I got to see both the Vizio and 70r550a which didn't look quite as good to me but had slightly better reviews. That's when i got into looking at better sets like the Samsung f8000 and the pretty but smaller w900a. I'm stingy by nature so after 2k i expect an awful lot.... Maybe to much i admit. to bad they couldn't have put the better processors and local dimming in the 550a series then i could have my 70" screen. Thanks for replying to my question bro I'm chomping at the bits to order her soon.

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
post #197 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

My updated settings again from April 17, 2014

These are my Vivid and Standard settings I use to get the deep blacks on my set. I try to keep my set as close to the factory settings as I can. Make sure you do these first two settings in blue first.

Scene Selection, sets to General.....This prevents the TV from auto switching off of your Vivid or Standard settings.

Setting Memory, sets to Common....The settings will be used on all inputs like your blu-ray player and cable box.

PICTURE MODE - STANDARD

Do the Reset here, if you have changed these settings before. Then do these two settings below. All other Standard and Advanced settings are default.

Backlight, set to Max......This one step really brings up the picture quality and color.

Color Temperature - set to Neutral (that's it for standard)

PICTURE MODE - VIVID only 3-settings below

Do the Reset again here if needed. All other Vivid settings are default.

Backlight...set this to 7.

Color, sets to 57

Sharpness, sets to 50 (your done, how easy is that)

whitesands
neildiamond likes this.
post #198 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

The blacks on my w850a TV is as black as if the TV is turned off in dim light. So I don't understand where your seeing this set where the blacks that fail to match a plasma. I would say the set may not be adjusted correctly or maybe the angle your viewing from.

Seeing the TV here at home actually looks better than the pictures I took of the screen. I am used to watching a great picture and the deep blacks for last 2 years on the top rated (in 2011) 55" Panasonic VT30 up to a month ago. I'm saying this w850a LED set here in my home has the same deep blacks as this plasma I had been watching. I have been watching this new set for a weeks worth of DVD's, blu-rays and regular TV programming. The TV is that good. Buy one and see for yourself and If you don't like it, then return it. I'm sure you know not to expect a LED set to perform very well outside it's normal viewing angle to the screen.

Don't buy direct from Sony as they charge you about $130 for a return freight shipment. Amazon and maybe Best Buy returns the sets for free within a 30 day window. (return policy) That's if you don't like the set's picture or you have some problem and decide to return it for a refund.

The set I have was sold by Amazon's own LEA group so I would think you could get a 100% full refund if you make some complaint about the picture quality. Six months ago I returned a 2013 Samsung small screen TV that I didn't like the picture on. I bought a Sanyo to replace it and it has a much better picture. Amazon fully credited my account once they received the TV.

Where did these guys go that bought two TV's from Best Buy maybe 5 years ago and returned the set they didn't like. Another I remember another that bought two TV's from Amazon to compare the pix quality, kept the best pix one then returned the other TV. I forget if they were any restocking fees back then. Only in a dim lit room like at some TV stores can you really have a good look at the picture. You still never know, sometimes the default setting may have been messed with.

My thoughts you being a gamer you may like a 55" screen size better and you already know the w900a set has the picture you like and includes the triluminos display. The price may be lower now that I read Sony has stopped making them. The downside would be the LED view viewing area.

Have you considered a good 60" or 65" plasma TV. I would suggest the panasonic ZT60 other than it's heavy, runs rather warm and like all plasma's it has the fast 600 hz picture. Panasonic really lowered their prices due to some failed sets this last year. Panny will be dropping their plasma sets in April 2014. One thing about a plasma you have a great picture, maybe not as bright as a led but always includes the deep blacks. Walking from steep angles to the screen the picture will still look great. The ZT60 and the VT60 may have the same picture quality. See the Panny site to make sure. I think the new one has the # 3000 in it's description. I don't know the input lag but the new 60 series set should include a fast quad processor.

I would not buy a panny plasma set unless I bought the square-trade 5-year warranty from Amazon, if that's where you buy the TV. The rule with Square-Trade is if your set can't be reparied even to the end of the 5 year warranty, they will refund your full purchase price. They give you 30 days to decide after the TV has shipped.

Well I have had the w900a almost since it came out. If you were watching the tv with the lights on then of course the blacks will look deep because your eyes are adjusting for the ambient light. When the tv is showing a full black scene the blacks look deep because the tv turns off the backlight when displaying a full black scene. I also own 2 panasonic plasmas. A TC-P50U50, and a TC-P60U50. Their the same set, just one is a 50" and the other is a 60" and ive had them for about 2 years now. You could buy both of these tvs and it'd still be cheaper than the w900a or w850a, and the picture quality destroys the w900a (as well as the w850), in every way except brightness. And for that reason, I decided to get an LCD set for gaming. For movies and and general watching, plasma will always win over LCD because plasma has such a wide contrast range, its only when in a bright room that plasma falls short and LCD tech prevails.
post #199 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Well I have had the w900a almost since it came out. If you were watching the tv with the lights on then of course the blacks will look deep because your eyes are adjusting for the ambient light. When the tv is showing a full black scene the blacks look deep because the tv turns off the backlight when displaying a full black scene. I also own 2 panasonic plasmas. A TC-P50U50, and a TC-P60U50. Their the same set, just one is a 50" and the other is a 60" and ive had them for about 2 years now. You could buy both of these tvs and it'd still be cheaper than the w900a or w850a, and the picture quality destroys the w900a (as well as the w850), in every way except brightness. And for that reason, I decided to get an LCD set for gaming. For movies and and general watching, plasma will always win over LCD because plasma has such a wide contrast range, its only when in a bright room that plasma falls short and LCD tech prevails.

i think it would be safe to assume most of us know how great a plasma looks.

In my case,i have all my AV stuff in the living room. In my bedroom i have 2x27s monitors on my pc which i use sometimes for pc games or movies, but i like to play my consolegames with my surround sound sitting in my comfy couch.. so i had to make a compromise.As much as i love my tv shows/movies; i love to play videogames. I returned a fn8500 recently....although i never had persistent retention and absolutely LOVED the PQ... still reading other users experience of still getting burn in or very persistent IR (just check the last posts in the burn in master thread II in the plasma forum http://www.avsforum.com/t/949107/master-burn-in-ir-break-in-thread-part-ii-all-posts-here-only/4740) , made me decide to take it back and settle for an lcd. I just dont want to deal with the headache of having to baby my tv or possibly ruining it a few years down the line taking that gamble. I have some friends that have great experiences with plasmas. And from your post it will assume you have as well

And yes.. it sucks these tv are so expensive still with these weakness of the tech...but what can we do? I need the tv. :?
All us consumers are stuck in the middle having to pay a premium for a "good" led or take your changed with a plasma

OLED still costs an arm and a leg and i am reading it could also be prone to burn in
Plasmas still can be prone to burn in or really bad IR
Overhead projectors require a really dark room, and the bulbs can be very expensive
DLP TVS are dead....

confused.gif
post #200 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i think it would be safe to assume most of us know how great a plasma looks.

In my case,i have all my AV stuff in the living room. In my bedroom i have 2x27s monitors on my pc which i use sometimes for pc games or movies, but i like to play my consolegames with my surround sound sitting in my comfy couch.. so i had to make a compromise.As much as i love my tv shows/movies; i love to play videogames. I returned a fn8500 recently....although i never had persistent retention and absolutely LOVED the PQ... still reading other users experience of still getting burn in or very persistent IR (just check the last posts in the burn in master thread II in the plasma forum) , made me decide to take it back and settle for an lcd. I just dont want to deal with the headache of having to baby my tv or possibly ruining it a few years down the line taking that gamble. I have some friends that have great experiences with plasmas. And from your post it will assum you have as well?

And yes.. it sucks these tv are so expensive still with these weakness of the tech...but what can we do? I need the tv. :?
All us consumers are stuck in the middle having to pay a premium for a "good" led or take your changed with a plasma

OLED still costs an arm and a leg and i am reading it could also be prone to burn in
Plasmas still can be prone to burn in or really bad IR
Overhead projectors require a really dark room, and the bulbs can be very expensive
DLP TVS are dead....

confused.gif

I agree with you 110%. That is exactly how I felt when I was shopping for a new tv strictly for gaming (which ended up being the w900a). I wanted plasma picture quality, while getting the LCD brightness. The Fn8500 sounds like the perfect mix until you see the insane input lag, and its IR tendencies. Personally, ive never had a problem with burn in on plasma and Ive had Panasonic plasma's since 2007. I did notice it on the Fn8500 in the store though and OLED is a mess currently in this regard. If you want to see horrible burn in go look at the OLED screens in cell phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S4. Ive came to accept that right now, there is no perfect mix and maybe never will be. Im holding my breath for the sony crystal LED though. In theory, it should be bright with better than plasma contrast, and no burn in.
post #201 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 08:00 PM

Lets all collectively just cry.... lol

That plasma really spoiled me frown.gif

Then to make it worse, i decide i will get an led, only to find out all manufactures stopped making FALD sets.........and if you do get one its about a 1k premium or more
I was more surprised even sonys XBR900 series this year also went with edge lit leds

watching tv on this led is still taking getting used to...funny thing is in my room its always been leds but plasma opened my eyes lol

also a question..since you got the w900a

does your set have dark corners as well? do you see some of that vinegetting (did i spell that right?

if i look extremely close at my panel, you an see the sides have like a filter which make the edges look darker
post #202 of 4537 Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

My w900a has no dark corners, but it does have darker sides. Not to noticeable, but they are there. Every w900a seems to have this. Some just cant see it. Much less distracting then the bright edges on the LG sets though.
post #203 of 4537 Old 10-24-2013, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

I'm holding my breath for the sony crystal LED though. In theory, it should be bright with better than plasma contrast, and no burn in.

Gee thanks, I better start saving right now to look forward to this new set and hopefully it's affordable.
post #204 of 4537 Old 10-24-2013, 05:37 AM

Sony crystal led looks good.
Theyve been quiet about it... i would imagine they will charge as much or more that OLED..
post #205 of 4537 Old 10-24-2013, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

I search every other day for a price drop on this KDL-65W850A TV. For those that may have bought this set I did find that Neobits.com offers the set for $2391.95. Then the ad shows $2424.74 with tax and shipping. The TV shows to be backordered so amazon won't price match unless the set is in stock. That price would save $273 from the usual $2698 price.
post #206 of 4537 Old 10-24-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I'm glad a lot of people are happy with their sets. Still trying to decide what to do next. I might downgrade size wise and go with the W900a but not sure yet. Still looking at a close out XBR950 and an Elite 60" lcd also but they are a bit more.
post #207 of 4537 Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

I'm glad a lot of people are happy with their sets. Still trying to decide what to do next. I might downgrade size wise and go with the W900a but not sure yet. Still looking at a close out XBR950 and an Elite 60" lcd also but they are a bit more.

+1

Last night I was considering Sony's HX950 (Full Array Local Dimming!). The price stings a little bit, but it's much better than when it was released. Yet the input lag isn't great - in the low 40s, so the perfect movie+gaming big screen TV still remains elusive.

Haven't given up completely on a 850 for myself though.
post #208 of 4537 Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

+1

Last night I was considering Sony's HX950 (Full Array Local Dimming!). The price stings a little bit, but it's much better than when it was released. But the input lag isn't great - in the low 40s, so the perfect movie+gaming big screen TV still remains elusive.

I've never had issues with gaming lag and that's after having Kuro's for so many years with 30-40ms lag times. Are you playing multiplayer games alot? I normally just play single player but even when I had gone online, I never had an issue with lag. I'm not into all of those FPS clones anymore (that includes COD, Battlefield, etc for me) so I haven't noticed any issues. I am not sure what the Elite input lag is but you might check that one out. What about the W900a? That has very little lag. I know it's smaller in size and it is edge lit, but it's an option. I sit about 9 feet back now and I am even considering the W900a but the edge lit stuff worries me (flashlighting, clouding, etc).

Yes the price does sting. I just got a call from a vendor that has two 60" elite tv's left brand new. It's over a grand more than what I payed for the W850a though and 5" smaller.
post #209 of 4537 Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM

Thats why i decided to go against the older XBR... the price is still very high. $1000~ is a big jump outside of anyones budget looking for a tv around 2.5k or so...... almost into 4k set territory
post #210 of 4537 Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats why i decided to go against the older XBR... the price is still very high. $1000~ is a big jump outside of anyones budget looking for a tv around 2.5k or so...... almost into 4k set territory

Totally agree. It is pricey. I know we can't discuss pricing but it's easily available right now online from a very reputable authorized dealer for $500 less than 4k smile.gif.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page