post #2071 of 4309 Old 03-19-2014, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyU View Post

I really love the look and pq of the W850A but the only thing that's held me back have been the screen issue's so many have reported on in this thread. Thanks to all of you for the invaluable information you have provided in this thread. 

Visit some of you Sony dealers and see if they would let you buy one of the store display models as you can see the picture and know it's a good set. With all the hours of display use the heat in the panel seems to clear up any screen problems which is a plus. A few sets seem to have some screen problems where others don't. My sets problems were minimal and cleared up after 4 months use. The recent bought sets seem to be trouble free right out of the box. Could be Sony may be pre-heating the panels because you don't hear much about screen problems like those sold in the first 3 months when this set was first offered for sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 4309 Old 03-19-2014, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

I have a gaming rig hooked up to my set and it looks fantastic. First thing is that you want to ensure you are in game mode (scene select) or in Graphics mode since this will prioritize the sets display speed for gaming/graphics.. Second, in the settings I personally turn off almost everything because on the PC they add unwanted artifacts. .

Here are my settings for gaming:
Picture Mode: Game-Standard
Backlight - 6
Picture - 90
Brightness - 50
Color - 54
Hue - 0
Color Temp - Warm 1
Sharpness - 50
Noise Reduction - Greyed out
MPEG Noise Reduction - Greyed out
Dot Noise Reduction - Greyed Out
Reality Creation - Off (All items under this are greyed out)
Smooth Gradation - Off
Motionflow - Greyed Out
CineMotion - Greyed Out

All Items under Advanced settings are off,

I also have SBM Off and Items under Eco all of except for Auto Shutoff.

To me this is the best for PC use and gaming. I have used these same settings on my HX929, Sony 65" 4k, 900a (non-4k) and now on the 850a. All those extra stuff just add artificial things to the image. You can set some stuff up like Live Color and Black Corrector, but personally I have everything off. Going warm 1 vs. warm 2 is up in the air and personnel preference. A few years ago a friend that does professional calibration got me into using Warm 2 for TV watching/movies. I use to be a Neutral/Cool person, then realized how off they were really were. Those two add too much blue to the image. For PC Gaming, I do stick to Warm 1, while Cable, Blu Ray, 3d are all in Warm 2.

Lastly my Hue and Color settings are at those values after using a blue filter to adjust them using the Xbox One's TV Calibration tool and the Disney WOW Blu Ray calibration disk.

Enjoy your set and let me know your thoughts on settings.

Thanks for these settings Hawkmoon! This works out perfectly and everything runs ultra smooth when I plug in my laptop via hdmi now! Also, I followed your tips and forced my laptop to ONLY output to the TV and also checked the box that forced the w850a to be my primary desktop. This looks like it diverts all processing and videocard power to the tv. Streaming downloaded movies and streaming from other websites is going great !

WhiteSands and Cayloe like this.
post #2073 of 4309 Old 03-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

The grain you see in this picture as was originally that way. The few lines in the upper center for the sky was due to some interaction between my camera and the TV. click the picture for a large view.

post #2074 of 4309 Old 03-19-2014, 02:30 PM

Liked: 10

would you recommand to purchase this TV now in the price of 2298$ (authorized seller), or should I go with the samsungs 60f8000 for 200$ more?

appriciate your help.

post #2075 of 4309 Old 03-19-2014, 02:43 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands:
You should be able too. I'm sure the set will be available at all Sony authorized dealers including Costco. I'm sure this set will be available for a good while. I just received a price drop from ABT and H.H. Gregg showing the price dropped to $2298 for the W850a set.. Amazon and Best Buy has been selling it for this new price for a few weeks now. I just moved the Sony price search I used on this W850 set down to $2000 and the date up to Dec 31, 2014.

You can look at the Amazon site for Sony's 55W900A set as it was first released for sale back on January 1st, 2013. It was selling by Amazon for well over a year. It looks like in late February or March some independents on the Amazon page are selling the w900a showing the set as new and used and may add a shipping charge.

The W850 was first released for sale in September 4th, 2013 and was first shipped the first week of October, 2013. That's over 6 1/2 months ago, so I expect Sony will continue to sell this TV for many more months like the W900A did.

Amazon is also a good place to buy from. Usually no taxes and free shipping. They also include a 30 day no charge for shipping return policy from the date the TV was shipped. They also offer a 14 day price match which helps. Costco and Amazon both use the Square Trade extended warranty. Amazon charges $248 for their 5-year policy that includes replacing the set if it can't be fixed in the home. I read once in the sq-trade customer reviews that they may also refund your original purchase price if the TV is not made anymore.

With Costco you have to pay tax but their extended policy is cheaper due to it being only for 2 years extending the warranty to 4-years. This is due to Costco guaranteeing the set for free a year after the original Sony guarantee runs out. No doubt this sure helps Costco's TV sales.
Edited by WhiteSands - Today at 1:55 pm

You are correct :) . I talked to the Costco folks..it seems they have no idea whether they will get this tv or not. Even last year, they only had the R series tv. They might do it on mainstream tvs and not the premium models.

post #2076 of 4309 Old 03-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23mj View Post

would you recommend to purchase this TV now in the price of $2298 (authorized seller), or should I go with the samsungs 60f8000 for 200$ more?

appriciate your help.

I would sure go for the W850 set due to its great picture and colors. The $2298 is a great price where the original price was $2698 then dropped to $2498 for a long time. Now at $200 less is a great time to buy this fantastic TV. It's best to compare the customer reviews on both sets on the Amazon web site.
post #2077 of 4309 Old 03-19-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitnit View Post

You are correct smile.gif . I talked to the Costco folks..it seems they have no idea whether they will get this tv or not. Even last year, they only had the R series tv. They might do it on mainstream tvs and not the premium models.

This is why I buy from Amazon as they make it easy to compare and buy the premium sets and are usually in stock. You go to Walmart or Sears TV displays and then see the all the low priced sets they are selling. They won't stock the premium sets as they want the fast selling ones.

A local Best Buy might be good to buy from if you in a larger city. You would have to pay tax but could get the TV in a day or two compared to Amazon's 5 to 7 days.
post #2078 of 4309 Old 03-19-2014, 09:58 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

Amazon is also a good place to buy from. Usually no taxes and free shipping. They also include a 30 day no charge for shipping return policy from the date the TV was shipped. They also offer a 14 day price match which helps. Costco and Amazon both use the Square Trade extended warranty. Amazon charges $248 for their 5-year policy that includes replacing the set if it can't be fixed in the home. I read once in the sq-trade customer reviews that they may also refund your original purchase price if the TV is not made anymore.

With Costco you have to pay tax but their extended policy is cheaper due to it being only for 2 years extending the warranty to 4-years. This is due to Costco guaranteeing the set for free a year after the original Sony guarantee runs out. No doubt this sure helps Costco's TV sales.

You guys are lucky. I bought a w850a in Futureshop and they asked for $499CAN for 4-year replacement warranty. The salesman offered to reduce the price to $379 and I said I would think about it. So, this is $428 to include tax.

i did some research and most sites and posts recommended not to buy the extended warranty. I did buy extended warranty for my KDL46Z4100 5 years ago and never had to use it.
post #2079 of 4309 Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3 View Post

You guys are lucky. I bought a w850a in Futureshop and they asked for $499CAN for 4-year replacement warranty. The salesman offered to reduce the price to $379 and I said I would think about it. So, this is $428 to include tax.

i did some research and most sites and posts recommended not to buy the extended warranty. I did buy extended warranty for my KDL46Z4100 5 years ago and never had to use it.

I talked to a Futurreshop last week about a 65W850A and they offered me $2099 + free 4 year replacement warranty.
post #2080 of 4309 Old 03-19-2014, 10:24 PM

Finally set up my w850a and this TV is huge coming from a 46-inch. My viewing distance is 14 ft and I would have to get used to this monster of a TV.

PQ is great while watching Blu-Ray. However, while watching cable TV HD stations, I have the "soap opera feel". I will see if Whitesands settings will remove this feel.
post #2081 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Finally set up my w850a and this TV is huge coming from a 46-inch. My viewing distance is 14 ft and I would have to get used to this monster of a TV.

PQ is great while watching Blu-Ray. However, while watching cable TV HD stations, I have the "soap opera feel". I will see if Whitesands settings will remove this feel.

The Cnet Noise Filters to Off may clear up the soap opera effect. I think it's the smooth gradation setting to off that may be the culprit.
post #2082 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHazard View Post

I talked to a Futurreshop last week about a 65W850A and they offered me $2099 + free 4 year replacement warranty.

What a deal, I would jump on that with the low price and be sure to get the 4 year replacement warranty in writing.
post #2083 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Turn off motion flow and no more soap opera feel. 

WhiteSands and Brundy like this.
post #2084 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
For those that have no issues with your TV, what is the manufacturer date of your set? Just curious so I can compare once mine comes in.
post #2085 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 126
So far mine is picture perfect - and even better after using WhiteSands settings. I already have mine setup in a corner so I can't see behind it unless I move it - I wonder if it's on the box?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2086 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdeezy View Post

Turn off motion flow and no more soap opera feel. 

I wish I understand all these settings. I looked up motionflow and this is a feature to remove blurry images when poeple/objects are moving fast. When I noticed this soap opera effect, I was watching a cable TV stations. They were mostly drama and nothing moving fast here.
I noticed that this motionflow setting is turned off as well in Whitesands recommended setting. I will certainly give it a try and see if it eliminates the soap opera picture.

I always thought that thre primary reason of this soap opera effect is the way they film the show. With the KDL46Z4100, I can definitely see the difference between a soap opera and a night-time show.

Whitesands: My primary activities with this w850a: cable TV shows, HD MKV files, blu-ray... No gaming, no sport. is your setting good for this activities?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2087 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 10:18 AM

Liked: 20
After having the TV for about a week or so I can say that this is by far the best TV I have ever owned I tried out my 1080p game of thrones mkvs and wow the colors just blow me away now time to drop for that square trade warranty. Thx to white sand for all the help and calibration settings.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2088 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wish I understand all these settings. I looked up motionflow and this is a feature to remove blurry images when poeple/objects are moving fast. When I noticed this soap opera effect, I was watching a cable TV stations. They were mostly drama and nothing moving fast here.
I noticed that this motionflow setting is turned off as well in Whitesands recommended setting. I will certainly give it a try and see if it eliminates the soap opera picture.

I always thought that the primary reason of this soap opera effect is the way they film the show. With the KDL46Z4100, I can definitely see the difference between a soap opera and a night-time show.

Whitesands: My primary activities with this w850a: cable TV shows, HD MKV files, blu-ray... No gaming, no sport. is your setting good for this activities?

My settings are to lower the intensity to more of a watchable level on Vivid. Using Picture Mode Standard was increased to make the picture, contrast and color to look better than the default settings. I watch most shows using Standard. I prefer Custom which has less contrast for some darker movies.

The main cause of the soap opera effects is caused by the Cine Motion settings default to Auto. Set this to off should clear any soap opera effects.

I do leave the Motionflow set to Standard which is factory default on the 'Vivid and Standard' picture modes. I use this more for action movies and ball games. I watch a lot of pro football games during the season and found it prevents motion blur.

If you still have the soap opera look you can set the Motonflow to Off which should completely clear up that problem.

A phone call to Sony and they said the Cine Motion setting to Auto can cause the picture to have a 'soft look' which is the soap opera problem.
post #2089 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juni0rz View Post

After having the TV for about a week or so I can say that this is by far the best TV I have ever owned I tried out my 1080p game of thrones mkvs and wow the colors just blow me away now time to drop for that square trade warranty. Thx to white sand for all the help and calibration settings.

Sorry. Did youmean that you are buying the extended warranty?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2090 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 01:05 PM

Yes

post #2091 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonusn View Post

tv arrived today! Beautimus!
Just became aware that LG's 65LM6200 is priced at 1k now. Going to see if I can snag one & do some comparing.

11/15 Update

KDL65W850A + PS4 + Pacific Rim Blu Ray = PURE UNADULTERATED XXX EYE CANDY!!! eek.gif

Highly recommend that as a demo disc.

Also, just found out the tv comes with 1 year of free Netlix & Hulu, activated via in-tv apps. (has to be a new Hulu account), just in case anyone needed any further convincing as to this sets viability...

Is that still happening??? smile.gif
post #2092 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
My problem with the 850a...

I have been looking at three tvs for a few weeks. The F8000, the Sharp UQ, and the 850a. When I looked at the sets in best buy (2 BEST BUYS) the 850a, while looking very good, looked inferior to the F8000 and the UQ. The picture lacked the punch of the F8000 or the UQ. Sorry, only way to describe it. Although in every time I saw this tv the scenes were dark and abysmal. So I have never seen the true color and light this set has to offer.

But now I am not sure. I was impressed by certain aspects of the w850a, build quality is great.

I am looking for great bluray, 3d and ps4, ps3 gaming. Can this set blow me away on all these levels?

please advise me, because I am probably going to buy the samsung if I dont find a compelling reason to buy this.

thanks!
post #2093 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy2k View Post

I have been looking at three tvs for a few weeks. The F8000, the Sharp UQ, and the 850a. When I looked at the sets in best buy (2 BEST BUYS) the 850a, while looking very good, looked inferior to the F8000 and the UQ. The picture lacked the punch of the F8000 or the UQ. Sorry, only way to describe it. Although in every time I saw this tv the scenes were dark and abysmal. So I have never seen the true color and light this set has to offer.

But now I am not sure. I was impressed by certain aspects of the w850a, build quality is great.

I am looking for great bluray, 3d and ps4, ps3 gaming. Can this set blow me away on all these levels?

please advise me, because I am probably going to buy the samsung if I dont find a compelling reason to buy this.

thanks!

I also looked at the 850A in Best Buy and wasn't impressed with the picture - but after buying it doing a few of WhiteSands minor tweaks - the TV picture looks great. Here is a few photo taken today in the daylight - and it's clearer in person.

post #2094 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 07:04 PM

uhy7yru4.jpg
Here's a shot watching game of thrones on my ps4 thru vudu

post #2095 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 07:05 PM

Liked: 10

Update..

BAD NEWS: Well after going through 6 TV's (3 60r550a's and 3 65w850a's) from Amazon. I am returning my last set for a full refund. My set had too many minor problems and Amazon will not give me a second price match of $2298 for me . I was willing to keep the tv only if they price matched it. There is no way I'm going to pay $2498 for a defected tv.

GOOD NEWS: I found a local Electronic shop that sell open boxed TV's. These TV's are not refurbished or customer returned. They are all floor models. They had 2 sets of 65w850a's in showcase. One for $1598 just like new. And another for $1298 but had a tiny crack on the side bezel of the TV (Not viewable when watching tv). Both Tv's had banding but the higher priced set had more noticeable banding and crescents. I'm happy to say that I will be picking up the $1298 set with the cracked bezel. It had the best uniformity but its not perfect. Whats best about this is that I get to see what I'm buying and not having to play panel lottery. For $1298 on a set like this, I think I can live with a little banding plus saving myself $1000 compared to amazon.

Oh yeah and the name of the place is Pinnacle

post #2096 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 PM

Liked: 58
Quote:

thanks!

I think a lot of people that look at these sets would see that the F8000 may look a little better, but in-home, I think the 850a is overall a better set. You also have to consider that the F8000 has a rating of 45ms for input lag while the 850a has a rating of 18ms. You want the lowest ms rating as you can get if you are a gamer. While 45ms is not horrid, it is considered high.
Brundy likes this.

-Hawkmoon
post #2097 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax-Franko View Post

I also looked at the 850A in Best Buy and wasn't impressed with the picture - but after buying it doing a few of WhiteSands minor tweaks - the TV picture looks great. Here is a few photo taken today in the daylight - and it's clearer in person.

Glad the 850a worked out for you. Let me know if you need any help with settings. How is your off angle viewing? Your picture looks very good in your post.

Fairfax-Franko likes this.
post #2098 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:

thanks!

Unless you are viewing this tv in a magnolia room they won't have it set up right. I saw multiple units at best buy and future shop and they looked horrible in-store. The Samsung F8000 has a very flat over saturated pictureIMHO. Also Samsung is notorious for orange reds. The positives of a samsung panel are a very uniform screen and great SD upscaling. The deciding factor for me was price. Here in Canada the F8000 has never dipped below 3200 for the 65. So being able to buy the sony for only 2200 is a no brainer.
Cayloe likes this.
post #2099 of 4309 Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 PM

If your going to go Samsung the F8500 is the way to go. It's the best tv they have ever put out.
post #2100 of 4309 Old 03-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

please advise me, because I am probably going to buy the samsung if I don't find a compelling reason to buy this.

thanks!

Most likely the W850s you seeing on display have been set to picture modes, standard or even custom to not show this sets real potential when it's set to Vivid. You can easily see in the many screen shots I have posted just how great this TV is. Have you read the customer reviews on the Sony set on the Amazon site.

I'm not a gamer but I have read others really like the TV with games. The Sony site shows this set is very good for gaming.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread - Xbr65x850a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page