Sony 65W850a reviews - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
On another note tested out my NAS and 3d today.
First off some MKV that didnt work on the r550 do on this TV. Seems tht and screen mirroring have a much larger compatibility.

As for 3d. I am on the fence. The r550 had passive 3d. Very easy on the eyes though the clarity was a bit less.
This 3d the image is a nice crisp 1080p. But there is slight flicker and think it takes a while for the eyes to get accustomed. Noticed after watching for 10-15 minutes the ambient window lightwas flickering less for me.
If I had a preference I would probably go passive as there are no batteries or things to worry about.
Watched "The Following" TV show today before going into work. Daylight settings. Love the color and contrast on this TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Try putting the motionflow setting on "low". It should remove the flicker in 3-D mode. For some reason, all Sony active TVs I've seen flicker unless you do this....
post #2253 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Does the 850A have a "Low" setting on motionflow? I couldn't find one on mine - mine is on standard.
post #2254 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

Of course, you man W850A, right? So, it doesn't even match up to your HX850 either?

Correct. I would rank the f8500 a 10, the sony hx850 a 8.5, and the w850a a 7
post #2255 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 01:47 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadoc View Post

Have noticed a few disappointing things.
1. As mentioned above coming from plasma the viewing angles are poor. Just moving a seat cushion over and the opposite end of the tv has some contrast shift as the blacks go a bit Grey. No worse than the R550a but given the better blacks to begin with it is a bit more noticeable.

2. Netflix. With the R550a while viewing netflix I could hit option and while viewing still modify the picture settings. And had complete control over them. Not true on this set. I can back out of Netflix choose YouTube and then adjust picture settings though many choices are greyed out limiting adjustment of brightness color contrast etc. I think these settings then do hold when going back into netflix ( seems to be a hidden scene mode called Internet video). It is too bad given that my Netflix at 1010 otherwise is a better picture than my cable hd channels but I cannot get the PQ to my liking on account of this.

On the positive, screen mirroring works with my Samsung phone and did not with the R550a

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

1. Agree with the viewing angles. I think they are horrible and might be related to the fact that the set uses a VA panel, known for bad viewing angles. In fact, the only thing better on an LED compared to plasma is bright room picture and inability to get IR; which is the reason i returned the Panasonic VT60.

2. I think between my Apple TV, Sony blu ray and W850a, the W850a has the best Netflix PQ. Another thing that the the R550a has is Netflix 3d which this set does not!? This i dont understand. Also, this TV will only pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 and not Dolby Digital PLUS 5.1 via ARC. Not a big deal but did anyone else notice that too? Yet another thing the R550a has is the VUDU app which this set doesnt. Once again, not a dealbreaker just being picky. The settings from youtube do hold when playing Netflix. The HULU app allows picture settings too. I think access to picture settings while in Netflix is hit or miss, some TVs allow it and some dont. The Panasonic plasma allowed it but with some options greyed out, the Sharps i know do not allow it just like this TV. Not sure about Samsungs or LGs.
post #2256 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 02:09 PM

It is odd though that the Netflix picture adjustments would be present on the lower model and not the W 850.
Haven't tried a dd+ source yet.
I know my mkv with dps did play off my NAS which was nice.

And in spite of the poor viewing angles the picture is still great and overall beats my 20010 plasma.
And at 2000$ CAN it was a steal as the 8500 samsung plasma is currently going for 3500
post #2257 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

Try putting the motionflow setting on "low". It should remove the flicker in 3-D mode. For some reason, all Sony active TVs I've seen flicker unless you do this....

There is no low setting. Smooth ,cinema, clear,...standard..
post #2258 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

It should work as long as it isn't set to "off". Maybe this model is different?
post #2259 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:

It should work as long as it isn't set to "off". Maybe this model is different?
So you mean keep motion flow on decreases flicker? I guess would make sense as it would increase the pseudo frame rate of the panel. Do the 3d glasses flash at a given rate?

post #2260 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 413
I bought the movie Gravity blu ray disk in 3D from amazon and watched it last night. It really looked good on this set. No clouding at all in the many scenes showing the black sky vs the very bright shuttle. I saw no flickering or did any of the other two people that were also watching the movie.

About the motionflow setting, the popular ones that I remember is standard (default), smooth, clear, off and true cinema. I'm not sure if that last one was used very much.
post #2261 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So you mean keep motion flow on decreases flicker? I guess would make sense as it would increase the pseudo frame rate of the panel. Do the 3d glasses flash at a given rate?

I thought the 3D glasses were 1080i for each eye. I may have read that in the i-manual on the subject of 3D.
post #2262 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 03:55 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:

Turn motion flow off. Motion flow is useless when watching bluray movies. This tv handles motion really well so smoothing tech is unnecessary unless you are watching sports. I am very impressed with the active 3D on this set, much better than the passive I have seen. I have never had any flicker.
post #2263 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

For 2D movies, leave it off for sure. But for 3-D, you may find that leaving it on a low or standard setting will reduce the flicker. Many professional reviews of the various Sony sets with active 3-D have noted they saw noticable flicker until this was enabled.

I had a Sony HX800 set for awhile, and the glasses had a noticeable flicker even in a dark room. I couldn't enable this setting (it was a first gen unit) so I had to live with it. All other Sony sets seemed to have this flicker also, which is strange since I have not noticed any on other brands such as Panasonic or Samsung. Some people seem to be more sensitive to this than others, YMMV. I got used to it after a while, but when I moved on to a Samsung set, I was glad to see I couldn't see any flicker at all.

The best at home 3-D I've seen, bar none, is on the Sony 65" X900 UHD set. It's full 1080p in each eye; same resolution as active sets - but without crosstalk, flicker, batteries, etc. It's truly better than the theater or any other 3-D set. The LG UHD models also look excellent. If you've only seen passive in 540p, you need to reevaluate the tech on a 4K set. It's a huge improvement. It simply blows away active.
post #2264 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

I bought the movie Gravity blu ray disk in 3D from amazon and watched it last night. It really looked good on this set. No clouding at all in the many scenes showing the black sky vs the very bright shuttle. I saw no flickering or did any of the other two people that were also watching the movie.

About the motionflow setting, the popular ones that I remember is standard (default), smooth, clear, off and true cinema. I'm not sure if that last one was used very much.
I do see a bit of flicker. Some might be more sensitive to the refresh rates of the active 3d glasses. I am wondering if motionflow settings might alter that

post #2265 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I thought the 3D glasses were 1080i for each eye. I may have read that in the i-manual on the subject of 3D.

I know for passive the picture is 2 interlaced pictures combined leading to really only 960 resolution.
I thought for active you got the full 100 but the different frames were shown alternately synced with the glasses so that each eye only saw one of the frames giving the 3d effect. However it affective halves the number of hz of the image effectively meaning you get 1080p at 60hz each eye vs. 960p at the full 120hz.

post #2266 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundy View Post

Quote:

Turn motion flow off. Motion flow is useless when watching bluray movies. This tv handles motion really well so smoothing tech is unnecessary unless you are watching sports. I am very impressed with the active 3D on this set, much better than the passive I have seen. I have never had any flicker.
I don't use motionflow except maybe for 3d it might reduce some flicker some suggest

post #2267 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:

For 2D movies, leave it off for sure. But for 3-D, you may find that leaving it on a low or standard setting will reduce the flicker. Many professional reviews of the various Sony sets with active 3-D have noted they saw noticable flicker until this was enabled.

I had a Sony HX800 set for awhile, and the glasses had a noticeable flicker even in a dark room. I couldn't enable this setting (it was a first gen unit) so I had to live with it. All other Sony sets seemed to have this flicker also, which is strange since I have not noticed any on other brands such as Panasonic or Samsung. Some people seem to be more sensitive to this than others, YMMV. I got used to it after a while, but when I moved on to a Samsung set, I was glad to see I couldn't see any flicker at all.

The best at home 3-D I've seen, bar none, is on the Sony 65" X900 UHD set. It's full 1080p in each eye; same resolution as active sets - but without crosstalk, flicker, batteries, etc. It's truly better than the theater or any other 3-D set. The LG UHD models also look excellent. If you've only seen passive in 540p, you need to reevaluate the tech on a 4K set. It's a huge improvement. It simply blows away active.

what us crosstalk exactly?
I am sure this us where 4k will have most value is for passive 3d
Btw my above posts I meant 50 not 960

post #2268 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

what us crosstalk exactly?
I am sure this us where 4k will have most value is for passive 3d
Btw my above posts I meant 50 not 960

I think they are saying here below that crosstalk is when you see the double image even when wearing the glasses. The earlier 3D sets you could tilt your head and see the crosstalk. I can't seem to do that with this Sony set.

What crosstalk/image ghosting looks like:
When viewing a 3D source on a 3DTV (3D glasses dependent) without glasses, a double-image or image ghost (often blurry image) is experienced. Blurriness in the 3D image will be greater in instances where the augmented visual depth is greater (i.e.: when viewing a 3D image of a landscape, or an image with large linear difference such as a hallway).
However, when the 3D glasses are worn, if you still see ghosting (or doubling of the image), THAT is crosstalk.
post #2269 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 08:15 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:

Of course it blows away active. It's a 4k set. That remains the only benefit currently in owning a 4k tv. Not worth the extra 2500 bucks though. The fact remains that in a non 4k set active wins.
post #2270 of 4195 Old 03-28-2014, 09:05 PM

Well I will play around more with the motion flow settings to see if that improves my flickr issue. I can tell you though that I do not have any significant crosstalk when I was watching. Certainly I had no more and certainly less than I did on my other TV set. And that was a passive model.

I am still a bit bummed about the fact that I cannot adjust the picture settings wild and Netflix. If I do it outside of Netflix on one of the other application programs I can choose standard or custom but we see each category there are many options that are greyed out making it quite difficult to dial in the ideal picture quality. For example the additional dynamic contrast and black level settings are on in standard and cannot be turned off. Similarly in the custom settings one cannot play with the brightness and color settings

post #2271 of 4195 Old 03-29-2014, 04:26 PM

It seems the "Text Search" app is not working anymore. When selected it looks like its about to start but then the message "Not Available" appears. So before I reset the TV I was wondering if someone could try the app on their TV and let me know if it works for them or not. Appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.
post #2272 of 4195 Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

post #2273 of 4195 Old 03-30-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Great screen shot. I still enjoy dropping in to see all the amazing pic's you post. Really great to see your keeping things alive over here.smile.gif
post #2274 of 4195 Old 03-30-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
TV is currently on sale for $1995 + Free Shipping + No tax in most states via BuyDig. I had to pay tax via Sony EPP so this deal would have been $120 cheaper, doh!

You must add to cart, then at the final checkout screen the price will drop to the $1995 price. Thanks to SlickDeals for this deal! Amazon usually price matches BuyDig, but you will have to have the Amazon rep go through entire checkout to see the actual price.
post #2275 of 4195 Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 AM

Just watched oblivion last nightand the 1st episode of vikings. Really loved the picture . The blacks été nice and deep the scenes detailed and must importantly there were no defects to distract me like flashlighting. ...

Rotor going into details, I find night time viewing with custom setting
Warm 2
Backlight 5-6
Picture 90 along with dialing down the blue and green by about-5 or-6 Really gives a beautiful cinema quality to movies and hi Def cinematic tv shows.
For day time viewing
I use standard mode panel back light up to 8 or Max picture up to max.
Color at about 50-52 gives most natural.
I keep on warm 2 but if watching hockey I turn on clear white to high and the ice looks white in spite of the warmer color temp (which is much more like d6500

post #2276 of 4195 Old 03-30-2014, 08:10 AM

Oh and since the Hobbit was on the movie network I recorded it on my dvt and went to that scene that was in some pics earlier in this thread.
Loomed beautiful no light bleed issue or flashlighting.
The only time I ever see even a tiny bit of that is when first turning on the tv for about 1 second, the panel appears to burst at max intensity with no dimming so there is a tiny bit of clouding/flashlighting at the bottom for all of 1 second.
Similarly when switching to netflix or YouTube Sometimes when first initializing the panel seems to go brighter without local dimming (as if there is a1 second delay switching in to the scene mode that is the default for the applications and so it turns off dynamic lighting etc).

post #2277 of 4195 Old 03-30-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gOLdEn gOd View Post

It seems the "Text Search" app is not working anymore. When selected it looks like its about to start but then the message "Not Available" appears. So before I reset the TV I was wondering if someone could try the app on their TV and let me know if it works for them or not. Appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Anyone? Would really appreciate it!
post #2278 of 4195 Old 03-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gOLdEn gOd View Post

Anyone? Would really appreciate it!

Ok, I gave it a try on my set. I clicked to open the text search app. Then the load indicator in the upper right kept moving, after a minute or so it came back and said it was not available.
gOLdEn gOd likes this.
post #2279 of 4195 Old 03-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Ok, I gave it a try on my set. I clicked to open the text search app. Then the load indicator in the upper right kept moving, after a minute or so it came back and said it was not available.

Whitesands, helpful as always...thank you!
post #2280 of 4195 Old 03-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic View Post

Great screen shot. I still enjoy dropping in to see all the amazing pic's you post. Really great to see your keeping things alive over here.smile.gif

I found a few new ones, about 10 in all. I may have to use some the older ones I never posted before.

Glad you dropped in.

WS
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page