Advertisement

post #2342 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Whitesands:

How close were you when taking the pics? Is it closer than your usual viewing distance? I would guess yes. Does that affect vignetting? I would guess yes.

I guess I need to read about the frozen cloth treatment.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2343 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadoc View Post

S'en is sony entertainment network. Color key not sure. I guess hitting it locks the buttons to allow the color keys to work

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

What does it do if I click "Register" for the One-Touch Remote? I am reluctant because I do not want to send anything to Sony's mothership.
post #2344 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Liked: 26
the smaller remote works by bluetooth in order for it to be able to connect to your television set you have to register it. Same way you would register a bluetooth controller with a p_s_3.
post #2345 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

Whitesands:

How close were you when taking the pics? Is it closer than your usual viewing distance? I would guess yes. Does that affect vignetting? I would guess yes.

I guess I need to read about the frozen cloth treatment.

I use the camera on a tripod, so yes it's to close at 6 feet. When i'm in my recliner then my viewing distance is at 8 feet, one foot closer than what Sony recommends. I will send you the info on doing the frozen cloth treatment.
junji98 likes this.
post #2346 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

I use the camera on a tripod, so yes it's to close at 7 feet. When i'm in my recliner then my viewing distance is at 8 feet, one foot closer than what Sony recommends. I will send you the info on doing the frozen cloth treatment.

When I'm leaned back in my recliner my head is twelve feet from the screen and the picture looks pretty nice. Coming from a 46" TV - if I sit any closer to it I will feel like I'm at a drive-in. biggrin.gif
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2347 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 12:28 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadoc View Post

the smaller remote works by bluetooth in order for it to be able to connect to your television set you have to register it. Same way you would register a bluetooth controller with a p_s_3.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. The registration process is actually "Pairing" in Bluetooth terminology.

However, I did not do the "Pairing" process, the remote works already. Why?
post #2348 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

click picture for the larger view.

junji98, steve1971, Cayloe and 1 others like this.
post #2349 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 01:52 PM

Liked: 16

I saw the Buydig.com listing for this TV earlier this week and I decided to pull the trigger. I actually got Amazon to price match it for $1995 and they also included 2% rebate. I then went to Best Buy with my wife to see the TV and we were not impressed. The picture appeared dark and washed out. I have 7 year old Sony KDL-60A2000 projection TV and I don't know if the picture was much better on the 850. I changed the picture mode to Vivid at the store and it helped some but still the TV didn't stand out.  I decided to cancel the Amazon order but it was too late and they are still going to deliver it tomorrow.

Looking at the Sony and Samsung 4K TVs the picture quality was much better even for standard upconvered 1080 media. So I'm debating if I should wait for the 4k. Also, what do you guys think about the new curved picture TVs?

BTW... Buydig has this TV today for $1945 but you will see the price at the final step of the checkout. Here is the link

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sdtid=6822090&sku=EMSNKDL65W850A&ref=cj

WhiteSands likes this.
post #2350 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 PM

I saw the Buydig.com listing for this TV earlier this week and I decided to pull the trigger. I actually got Amazon to price match it for $1995 and they also included 2% rebate. I then went to Best Buy with my wife to see the TV and we were not impressed. The picture appeared dark and washed out. I have 7 year old Sony KDL-60A2000 projection TV and I don't know if the picture was much better on the 850. I changed the picture mode to Vivid at the store and it helped some but still the TV didn't stand out.  I decided to cancel the Amazon order but it was too late and they are still going to deliver it tomorrow.

Looking at the Sony and Samsung 4K TVs the picture quality was much better even for standard upconvered 1080 media. So I'm debating if I should wait for the 4k. Also, what do you guys think about the new curved picture TVs?

BTW... Buydig has this TV today for $1945 but you will see the price at the final step of the checkout.

WhiteSands likes this.
post #2351 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogiel View Post

BTW... Buydig has this TV today for $1945 but you will see the price at the final step of the checkout.

That's one good price, no tax and including Amazon's 2% rewards. If I were you,I would try the set out as you have 30 days from the shipping date to return it and Amazon pays the return freight.
post #2352 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

That's one good price, no tax and including Amazon's 2% rewards. If I were you,I would try the set out as you have 30 days from the shipping date to return it and Amazon pays the return freight.

I agree - when I saw the 850A at Best Buy I really wasn't impressed at all - but after buying one and using your settings the picture on my TV puts the 850A at Best Buy to shame. biggrin.gif
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2353 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 05:00 PM

Liked: 26
Did an "ice rub" using an ice pack on its side. Looks like it is better! Here are 2 pics of each edge on a whitish background on tv.6edaru4e.jpg
uda8e4yg.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
post #2354 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 05:14 PM

Is there any link or place i can read nor about thw rub method?
post #2355 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

click picture for the larger view.

Damn Whitesands you take some darn good photos of your tv in action!
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2356 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Damn Whitesands you take some darn good photos of your tv in action!

Thanks, I use the Standard picture mode when I take these scenic shots. It tried Vivid a few times but the colors on the picture came out to strong. Looking at a blu ray movie using Vivid with my settings looks great. I use to do photography as a hobby, so doing these screen shots makes it easy to do and I can post my results.
steve1971 likes this.
post #2357 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

steve1971 likes this.
post #2358 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 06:44 PM

Liked: 12
Just got the TV-- it's great. Glad I spent a bit more to get a quality panel.

Set it up with the WhiteSands settings and it looks nice.

One quirk that I can't seem to figure out: I have a mediacenter running XBMC output via HDMI from the PC to the TV. When I watch certain videos, the TV displays them then cuts out, then displays, and cuts out, repeating the cycle every 2-3 seconds.

Some facts to maybe help figure out the problem:
1) the mediacenter worked fine with the old TV
2) some videos play fine, other's don't
3) the videos that don't play properly, do play fine when using the TV's media browser to play them on the network.

To me, it seems the TV is sensing something in the input and trying to change a setting. I've looked though through various options but nothing stands out.

Appreciate any insight. Thanks!
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2359 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok_indo View Post

Just got the TV-- it's great. Glad I spent a bit more to get a quality panel.

Set it up with the WhiteSands settings and it looks nice.

One quirk that I can't seem to figure out: I have a mediacenter running XBMC output via HDMI from the PC to the TV. When I watch certain videos, the TV displays them then cuts out, then displays, and cuts out, repeating the cycle every 2-3 seconds.

Some facts to maybe help figure out the problem:
1) the mediacenter worked fine with the old TV
2) some videos play fine, other's don't
3) the videos that don't play properly, do play fine when using the TV's media browser to play them on the network.

To me, it seems the TV is sensing something in the input and trying to change a setting. I've looked though through various options but nothing stands out.

Appreciate any insight. Thanks!

I would call Sony and ask to see if the XBMC is compatible with the Sony HDMI input. I think each HDMI has a few options that may help. I did read where some with other sets used a XBMC converter I found here below on Amazon.

Sony Customer Service, days. 1+ 800 222-7669.

Thanks for using my settings.

http://www.amazon.com/Android-Smart-Media-Player-YOUTUBE/dp/B00FXWP5FK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396490315&sr=8-1&keywords=XBMC+converter+box
post #2360 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 PM

Liked: 18

Hello folks,

I am on the edge of pulling a trigger on the buydig deal here. The thing which is holding me back is that I have an EPP with sony, but my state charges sales tax, which effectively brings the sony set to $324 more. My concern is that I have seen people in this thread report issues with older panels (vignetting if I am correct? ) and I guess if I purchase from Sony directly, I would get a newer panel which would not have this issue. What do you people suggest in this case? Are there better deals expected out there? (In that case I can also benefit from buying it with my not yet arrived amex card which would throw in an additional year of warranty. 

Appreciate your advice.

WhiteSands likes this.
post #2361 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitnit View Post

Hello folks,

I am on the edge of pulling a trigger on the buydig deal here. The thing which is holding me back is that I have an EPP with sony, but my state charges sales tax, which effectively brings the sony set to $324 more. My concern is that I have seen people in this thread report issues with older panels (vignetting if I am correct? ) and I guess if I purchase from Sony directly, I would get a newer panel which would not have this issue. What do you people suggest in this case? Are there better deals expected out there? (In that case I can also benefit from buying it with my not yet arrived amex card which would throw in an additional year of warranty. 

Appreciate your advice.

Any vignetting, dark sides is easily removed and if anybody needs the instructions PM me and I will send them to you. A few have had sets replaced for free due to seeing crescents in the picture with a good HD signal applied. The replacement set they got looked ok.

You might consider the return policy of these online sellers.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/usertpl.aspx?fle=policies.htm#return
post #2362 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 PM

Liked: 14

I have had a few days to view my w850. Having had the w900a for about five months I have some impressions between the two. As I suspected, the glossy screen of the w900a makes the picture appear sharper. I was able to get a more vibrant picture out of the w850a by turning all the noise reduction features off. This has helped produce a very nice picture. I am sitting the same distance with the w850 as I was to the w900a, so I may be seeing imperfections that I will not see sitting 12 feet away when I move. Now, I believe that the deep black panel on the 900a helped daytime viewing as I find some washout when viewing the w850a during the day with some sunlight coming through a side door that has no curtain. At night, I believe the black level of the w850a is superior, but at the expense of some shadow detail. I can understand people seeing better blacks in a light showroom at best buy, but turn the lights down and I don't think its even close comparing the two sets. Just my impressions, not a pro here. Over all I like the w900a better, but the extra real estate is worth it in my opinion. 

WhiteSands likes this.
post #2363 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill22115 View Post

I have had a few days to view my w850. Having had the w900a for about five months I have some impressions between the two. As I suspected, the glossy screen of the w900a makes the picture appear sharper. I was able to get a more vibrant picture out of the w850a by turning all the noise reduction features off. This has helped produce a very nice picture. I am sitting the same distance with the w850 as I was to the w900a, so I may be seeing imperfections that I will not see sitting 12 feet away when I move. Now, I believe that the deep black panel on the 900a helped daytime viewing as I find some washout when viewing the w850a during the day with some sunlight coming through a side door that has no curtain. At night, I believe the black level of the w850a is superior, but at the expense of some shadow detail. I can understand people seeing better blacks in a light showroom at best buy, but turn the lights down and I don't think its even close comparing the two sets. Just my impressions, not a pro here. Over all I like the w900a better, but the extra real estate is worth it in my opinion. 

That's good information you mentioned here. Both the W850 and the W900 sets have the most 5-stars of any TV's I have seen in the Amazon customer reviews. No doubt the reason is that both use the Triluminos display for more brilliant colors than the other sets.
N8rbug likes this.
post #2364 of 4421 Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I would call Sony and ask to see if the XBMC is compatible with the Sony HDMI input. I think each HDMI has a few options that may help. I did read where some with other sets used a XBMC converter I found here below on Amazon.

Sony Customer Service, days. 1+ 800 222-7669.

Thanks for using my settings.

http://www.amazon.com/Android-Smart-Media-Player-YOUTUBE/dp/B00FXWP5FK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396490315&sr=8-1&keywords=XBMC+converter+box

Problem solved! Switched to the side input (HDMI 2) and get smooth playback. Don't know why inputs 3 and 4 have issues ...
post #2365 of 4421 Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill22115 View Post

That's great info! I'm in the same boat!

I recently spent time agonizing over the 55w900's 240Hz panel and possibly better picture quality versus the extra 10" and cost of the 65w850. I've had the 55w900 for a couple days so far. I've calibrated and re-calibrated it and it looks pretty great now. With the added price drop of the 65w850, I've been wondering if I should buy one either for my theater area (where the 55w900 is now - Uverse TV, AppleTV streaming, PS4/Xbox1 gaming, blu-ray watching - limited sunlight) or for my main floor (Uverse, DVR, streaming). The notes about it being in a brighter room give me a little bit of pause.

For those of you who have the set or have compared the two, is the difference that noticeable? Do I really want the w900 for my most demanding viewing? The extra 10" would be sweet!

Either way, I think the w900 is staying. I got a great price on it. I do keep thinking one side of the screen is brighter than the other. I should probably throw a grey screen up or such to see if it's true. I'd like to thank the kind folks of this board for embracing and nurturing my complete obsession with color calibration, balanced audio and the like. biggrin.gif
WhiteSands likes this.

Michael Dhaliwal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2366 of 4421 Old 04-03-2014, 12:11 AM

Liked: 19
Update:
Just got my 55W900 and man I am blown away.

Its just an little to small, but when I watched those SD channels and other "ugly" stuff, this tv can do thing that I never got my W850a to do..

And this is even before I have had time to tweak the settings biggrin.gif

So after going through 4-5 sets I ended up with this, 5" less then I wanted, but thats an sacrifice I am willing to take for this kind of set smile.gif
post #2367 of 4421 Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 AM

Is it the difference so evident?
The 2,tv should be not so different.
Maybe since its much smallers and u watching same distance u notice less interference.
post #2368 of 4421 Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelpt View Post

Is it the difference so evident?
The 2,tv should be not so different.
Maybe since its much smallers and u watching same distance u notice less interference.

Maybe I had an "bad" w850 set, I only tried one set before going to the w900.

BUT the w850 set I had was beautiful on HD and blueray movies, like almost identical to the w900.

But it was when it came down to upscaling and bad SD channel wich we have alot of here in norway the difference was enormous for my part.

It almost was as if my w850 set that had some beautiful pictures in HD had an "bug" or some disturbance with SD.

And I know the w900 is 10" smaller and ofc this will affect stuff like this to. But it managed to take those ugly MTV, TLC and Vox channels that looked ugly with blur around faces +++ on the w850 and made them look good even on the w900.

So for me this was an very easy decision.

Only thing I could have done different was to maybe try one or two more w850 sets. Because it was an lovely set, just except the SD flaws here on mine.
post #2369 of 4421 Old 04-03-2014, 03:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDhaliwal View Post

That's great info! I'm in the same boat!

I recently spent time agonizing over the 55w900's 240Hz panel and possibly better picture quality versus the extra 10" and cost of the 65w850. I've had the 55w900 for a couple days so far. I've calibrated and re-calibrated it and it looks pretty great now. With the added price drop of the 65w850, I've been wondering if I should buy one either for my theater area (where the 55w900 is now - Uverse TV, AppleTV streaming, PS4/Xbox1 gaming, blu-ray watching - limited sunlight) or for my main floor (Uverse, DVR, streaming). The notes about it being in a brighter room give me a little bit of pause.

For those of you who have the set or have compared the two, is the difference that noticeable? Do I really want the w900 for my most demanding viewing? The extra 10" would be sweet!

Either way, I think the w900 is staying. I got a great price on it. I do keep thinking one side of the screen is brighter than the other. I should probably throw a grey screen up or such to see if it's true. I'd like to thank the kind folks of this board for embracing and nurturing my complete obsession with color calibration, balanced audio and the like. biggrin.gif

The w900 set and the w850 set uses different circuitry. The w850 set is copied from the 4k x850 set. The difference is that the w850 don't use the more expensive 4K panel and 4K circuit inside the cabinet. Don't worry about the TV in a brighter room, it's plenty bright. This w850 set when it first came was considered one of the brightest pictures on the market due to it's ultra bright LED's. If you get this set then watch it in picture mode Vivid right out of the box. You will be amazed how bright and clear the picture is on this set. If you buy from Amazon and they are selling the set themselves and not a 3rd party like their doing these last few days. Amazon's policy is if you don't like the TV for some reason within 30 days of when it was shipped you can return it at no charge to you. This is only possible if you see on the Amazon site for this set, 'In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com'. The larger 65" screen looks much larger than the 55" screen on a panasonic plasma set this set replaced.
post #2370 of 4421 Old 04-03-2014, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakzz View Post

Update:
Just got my 55W900 and man I am blown away.

Its just an little to small, but when I watched those SD channels and other "ugly" stuff, this tv can do thing that I never got my W850a to do..

And this is even before I have had time to tweak the settings biggrin.gif

So after going through 4-5 sets I ended up with this, 5" less then I wanted, but that's an sacrifice I am willing to take for this kind of set smile.gif

Usually the smaller screen sets will play a SD signal a lot better than a large screen set. I remember back when the old CRT sets would make a great SD picture. No doubt we lost a lot of SD quality when they started making these larger screen HD thin panel sets.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page