post #211 of 4504 Old 10-24-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

I've never had issues with gaming lag and that's after having Kuro's for so many years with 30-40ms lag times. Are you playing multiplayer games alot? I normally just play single player but even when I had gone online, I never had an issue with lag. I'm not into all of those FPS clones anymore (that includes COD, Battlefield, etc for me) so I haven't noticed any issues. I am not sure what the Elite input lag is but you might check that one out. What about the W900a? That has very little lag. I know it's smaller in size and it is edge lit, but it's an option. I sit about 9 feet back now and I am even considering the W900a but the edge lit stuff worries me (flashlighting, clouding, etc).

Yes the price does sting. I just got a call from a vendor that has two 60" elite tv's left brand new. It's over a grand more than what I payed for the W850a though and 5" smaller.

Not sure about the Elites, but I believe Sharp's current lines are bad for input lag. I don't play on-line much either, but that's not what input lag is measuring - input lag is the time between a button push and the reaction on-screen.

The W900a is currently considered the gamer's choice, and it's on my list. But I'm coming from a 60" TV, so the loss of 5" might be too noticable. I want to stick with at least a 60", and 65" would be ideal.

The W850a is nearly the perfect TV for me, except the aforementioned edge dimness that I think might distract over time. Or the w900a, which is under $2k and improved edge lighting, but only 55". Or the HX950 which is pricey and not quite as good as those two lag-wise.

Or wait 'till next year, which I believe Plasma and Full Array Local Dimming will be extinct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 4504 Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Why not get a set from crutchfield and try it out for a month or so (have 60 days return window) ? If youre willing to go the xbr route which will be about 1k more..... maybe youd be willing to take a gamble on 120 bux.
65" is glorious for gaming smile.gif

You will be out about 120-135 bux to send it back .... but you will have no doubt in your mind when you make your choice if you want to keep it.

The new consoles will be out soon and you can enjoy the games for a few weeks if you preordered.
post #213 of 4504 Old 10-24-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Not sure about the Elites, but I believe Sharp's current lines are bad for input lag. I don't play on-line much either, but that's not what input lag is measuring - input lag is the time between a button push and the reaction on-screen.

The W900a is currently considered the gamer's choice, and it's on my list. But I'm coming from a 60" TV, so the loss of 5" might be too noticable. I want to stick with at least a 60", and 65" would be ideal.

The W850a is nearly the perfect TV for me, except the aforementioned edge dimness that I think might distract over time. Or the w900a, which is under $2k and improved edge lighting, but only 55". Or the HX950 which is pricey and not quite as good as those two lag-wise.

Or wait 'till next year, which I believe Plasma and Full Array Local Dimming will be extinct?

I know what input lag is but many people complain about it being unbearable when playing online. I have never had an issue with input lag. I can understand if you were talking about the high input lag of the ST60 for F8500 but honestly I have never had any issues with tv's with 30-40ms. I have never had a set that had input lag below 20ms ever.

I'm with you. My old kuro was 60" but it was mounted on the wall. I sat about 10.5 feet from it and never had an issue with it being to small. Sure I would have liked bigger but it was fine. Now my tv is going to be on a stand which is 1.5-2 feet closer. So technically if I got the W900a, I shouldn't see much of a difference compared to when I had the 60" on the wall. The W900a is also $1500 cheaper than either FALD set I could get. Of course I have experienced the Elite first hand and it's hard to go back to edge lit displays (I would assume anyone with the XBR950 feels the same way). Of course the W900a is also 5" smaller than the Elite and 10" smaller than the 950 so you have to include that into the pricing difference along with the FALD capabilities. When you do, that $1500 difference shrinks more than you think.

Plasma isn't an option for me. I had a 65" VT60 for a couple of weeks. I had a ton of IR issues. Honestly I should have kept my red tint 3 year old kuro, lol. Yes the red tint was annoying but at least I would still be enjoying it. I am not certain FALD will be back except for a few high end sets. If it does make a decent return, it will be solely in those expensive 4K models and you will pay Elite retail prices at least when they are released.
post #214 of 4504 Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cg006 View Post

Why not get a set from crutchfield and try it out for a month or so (have 60 days return window) ? If youre willing to go the xbr route which will be about 1k more..... maybe youd be willing to take a gamble on 120 bux.
65" is glorious for gaming smile.gif

You will be out about 120-135 bux to send it back .... but you will have no doubt in your mind when you make your choice if you want to keep it.

The new consoles will be out soon and you can enjoy the games for a few weeks if you preordered.

Crutchfield doesn't carry the 950 anymore if that's the XBR you are referring to. Oncecall and bhphoto are the only 2 authorized dealers that still carry the 950 for the same price. I would probably go with onecall and hope for the best.

My gaming habits have changed over the years and I'm not as much of a gamer as I used to be. My kids still play but even I am looking at my PS4 preorder and realize I could wait 6 months at least before I transition. There is not one compelling game at launch. This is the first time in awhile that you could hold on to your xbox 360 or ps3 for at least another 6 months to a year and then jump in. Normally the old consoles are dried up by the time the new ones launch but not this time.
post #215 of 4504 Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Sorry, I was referring to the 65w850a tv*^^
post #216 of 4504 Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I was able to test the Sharp Elite at a bestbuy store and it had around 42ms of lag in game mode which is the same as the XBR950. In my experience the 42ms makes it barely unplayable for online FPS games like Call of Duty. Maybe you can get used to it, but people who have a tv with less input lag will have an edge on you. If your not competitive, then it isnt an issue. Other games like the new GTA V can be played on tv's with a lot of input lag without issues because the game itself already has input lag built into it on purpose.
post #217 of 4504 Old 10-25-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

I was able to test the Sharp Elite at a bestbuy store and it had around 42ms of lag in game mode which is the same as the XBR950. In my experience the 42ms makes it barely unplayable for online FPS games like Call of Duty. Maybe you can get used to it, but people who have a tv with less input lag will have an edge on you. If your not competitive, then it isnt an issue. Other games like the new GTA V can be played on tv's with a lot of input lag without issues because the game itself already has input lag built into it on purpose.

I looked up my old Kuro's input lag and it was right under 50ms. I used that tv for gaming for over 3 years (sports FPS, adventure, etc). Input lag was never an issue. So I guess I am not sensitive to it like some people. If you are this concerned about input lag, your only option is probably the W900a unless the W850a has similar specs (and you can deal with the dark corners/edges).
post #218 of 4504 Old 10-25-2013, 08:39 AM

i am sitting about 6 feet form it...lol
I noticed the tvs viewing angle is somewhat causing PQ issues for me since i am sitting so close (i know my fault). On some pictures i can see the backlight/screen change as i shift form side to side..lol .. also the tv'sstand is HUUGE
I have an ikea besta av unit and the ring is wider than the actual unit.

I think i will be wall mounting this baby. I Should be able to gain about another foot of space...
I can move my couch back..but i dont have a wall behind me.. thats the walkway form the bedrooms>living room> kitchen

Anyone had experience with Best Buy tv mounting services?
i have a friend that can posibly do it... but i am thinking on paying experienced people?
post #219 of 4504 Old 10-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsimoth View Post

I am satisfied with the black levels. I honestly wanted the W900a but 55" is not big enough. I could have done it but it would have been hard dropping down to a 55" after having a 60" for over 3 years. I normally sit around 11.5 feet back from my tv.hCWpp

Looks like we all want the larger screen or better automobiles. My viewing distance is 8 feet from my recliner. I had moved my recliner to that viewing distance to watch the 55" set I had. I find with the 65" I have to near turn my head some when watching the pro football games. It's kind of like being in a movie as I never sit that far back in the movie theaters. Our living room is only 14 foot deep.
post #220 of 4504 Old 10-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

I got tired of the distraction of the illumination LED on the bottom of the TV. I opened Options/ illumination LED. They list 5 options, Demo mode (bright), Auto Bright Adjust (default), Dark (low light), Simple Response (lights when set first come on and when you press any button on the remote), OFF is the last option.

I found the ''Simple Response' option works for me. This way their are no light indicators being near the picture i'm watching. Some others may rather leave the LED indicator as is.
post #221 of 4504 Old 10-27-2013, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Ok so finally got around to taking some pictures.. Wanted to know if any other W850 owners are having these issues. I feel like the backlight isn't very consistent on my set (i didn't notice this the first few days I had it) after adjusting settings to my liking this became more apparent - off angle looks terrible. Wanted to see what you guys think, if this is as good as it gets ill just deal (since every set I've tried has had lighting inconsistencies) but if no one else is having this problem maybe my units a dud and I can get Amazon to send out a replacement.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amp // Kef LS50s // 2x SVS SB2000 (2.2 setup)
Analog:Pro-Ject RM5.1SE Turntable // Pro-Ject Tube Box II SE Phono Amp // Pro-ject Speed Box II
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 4k // Oppo BDP-105 // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
post #222 of 4504 Old 10-28-2013, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

The red screen shot of your TV looks great. The gray screen also looks equally as good. I'm sure you will see imperfections at those angles where a normally gray screen will turn to a light gray. The camera will show some clouding and flashlighting where you seldom see it by looking at the screen without the camera.

Your two angle pictures look typical, very similar to some I took earlier of my set. Netflix looks to use a gray background when looking at their site with the w850 and my other sets. At that angle the picture would normally appear to be a very light gray. The last picture's medium gray background and bright movie insets may be why the clouding-flashlightning or was what the camera saw. I have a feeling the picture looked much better to you without the camera.

I'm new to this and i'm sure the other members can give you a better evaluation.
post #223 of 4504 Old 10-28-2013, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Saw this TV at Best Buy yesterday, and unfortunately the dim sides seem to be a pervasive issue on this set. Too bad, guess I'll have to wait another year and hope for a matte FALD set...
post #224 of 4504 Old 10-28-2013, 05:19 PM

Set ain't perfect.. And I do notice some issues with the viewing angles... But it's not that bad!!!!
My issue is that I need more viewing distance. I m kinda close to my tv so I see sometimes the edges get lighter since I sit off center from my couch. I am like 5 feet back. Lol. Hopefully should be 6+ if I mount the tv. Also I can push my couch bad.
The tv seems to have an aggressive filter which requires ample space between you and the tv and not go and sit extremely off the sides otherwise you'll see the screen turn cloudy.

I think this May be normal for LCD tvs? Anyone?
post #225 of 4504 Old 10-28-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Set ain't perfect.. And I do notice some issues with the viewing angles... But it's not that bad!!!!
My issue is that I need more viewing distance. I m kinda close to my tv so I see sometimes the edges get lighter since I sit off center from my couch. I am like 5 feet back. Lol. Hopefully should be 6+ if I mount the tv. Also I can push my couch bad.
The tv seems to have an aggressive filter which requires ample space between you and the tv and not go and sit extremely off the sides otherwise you'll see the screen turn cloudy.

I think this May be normal for LCD tvs? Anyone?

The HX850 looked clean and clear from every angle and up close, the Vizio M series had a very wide viewing angle, but the vertical banding bugged me too much. With this set (as i've mentioned) I feel like the sweet spot is really narrow - I sit about 12 feet from my TV feel like there should be more wiggle room.

Now the problems with this set are not "terrible," it did cost about $800 more than the Vizio as well. Was hoping for consistency in line with the HX850 (but I guess that's more comparable to w900 which I believe replaced it). I'm still hoping someone will post and say their set is utterly perfect (or close to it) so maybe the quality control on my set was a miss and another set would fix these issues. Guess I have another 1-2 weeks to think about it.

Analog:Pro-Ject RM5.1SE Turntable // Pro-Ject Tube Box II SE Phono Amp // Pro-ject Speed Box II
post #226 of 4504 Old 10-28-2013, 07:53 PM

hope you find that right set...
I think im gonna keep it. Colors are really nice...
And i already sent back a plasma... dont want to have to send another tv back

And i am not too crazy about samsung tvs..
On the bright side, if you can wait.. CES is around the corner!

Was curious and went to read about the w900a viewing angles.. apparently the w900a didn't fare so great either, colors still amazing:
http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/sony-bravia-kdl-55w900a-review/the-science
post #227 of 4504 Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hope you find that right set...
I think im gonna keep it. Colors are really nice...
And i already sent back a plasma... dont want to have to send another tv back

And i am not too crazy about samsung tvs..
On the bright side, if you can wait.. CES is around the corner!

Was curious and went to read about the w900a viewing angles.. apparently the w900a didn't fare so great either, colors still amazing:
http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/sony-bravia-kdl-55w900a-review/the-science

The viewing angles on the w900a are not great, but for being a VA panel, their exceptional. I was in bestbuy again today and they moved the w850a next to the samsung F8000 and the Samsung F8500. The w850a was much better looking then the F8000, but looked terrible against the F8500. The F8500 had so much more depth to the picture. In fact, on a wall full of LCD's, it was the only plasma and it stood out dramatically as having better picture quality. The brightness was also evenly matched against the LCD models. If only the input lag was not terrible. mad.gif
post #228 of 4504 Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 AM

F8500 is a top tier plasma.
Trust me i know... that tv is awesome. Had it for 1 1/2 months.
IR scared me and i ended up sending it back. DIdnt want to risk messing up a almost 3k panel
post #229 of 4504 Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

The viewing angles on the w900a are not great, but for being a VA panel, their exceptional. I was in bestbuy again today and they moved the w850a next to the samsung F8000 and the Samsung F8500. The w850a was much better looking then the F8000, but looked terrible against the F8500. The F8500 had so much more depth to the picture. In fact, on a wall full of LCD's, it was the only plasma and it stood out dramatically as having better picture quality. The brightness was also evenly matched against the LCD models. If only the input lag was not terrible. mad.gif

As indicated in the review below, the W900A uses a PSA (Polymer Sustained Alignment) panel made by Samsung.

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/sony-kdl-55w900a-p15221/test.html
post #230 of 4504 Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 PM

this set has some really nice colors. Have been playing beyond two souls and in some scenes the color is spot on . Other than the viewing angle being so narrow (some other sets are better), and the shadows on the sides (which alot of tvs got)... i love this tv!
Im keeping it!
heres another pic from yesterday.. Boardwalk empire. Chalkie

post #231 of 4504 Old 10-29-2013, 08:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

this set has some really nice colors. Have been playing beyond two souls and in some scenes the color is spot on . Other than the viewing angle being so narrow (some other sets are better), and the shadows on the sides (which alot of tvs got)... i love this tv!
Im keeping it!
heres another pic from yesterday.. Boardwalk empire. Chalkie

Just got this TV about 3 hours ago. Ordered via Amazon. Loving it so far. Great colors and picture. Excellent response time in game mode too.

What are some of your settings? I'm playing GTA V right now and plan on downloading Beyond Two Souls tomorrow. Are you using deep color and the super-white setting on the PS3?
post #232 of 4504 Old 10-29-2013, 09:23 PM

i copied the w900cnet settigns for the gaming+ movie presets on my set. And on the gaming preset i made some additional adjustments (picture is neutral/ disables some extra crap and added a few things like live color, enhance whites, black enhancer ALL set to =LOW). The cnet tweaks for the white level make the colors look more natural. Still waiting for a procalibration.... but the set looks really nice!

And yes my ps3 is set to full RGB AND deepcolor is on (i think its only auto and off).

the pic doesnt do it justice..came out too dark and i got some motion blurring

this is from my pc desktop- i keep it in my movie mode (i selected the GENERAL preset for it) with alot of extra stuff on it that could kill my input lag if i played games lol. Thi sis my main for all other things.. watching youtube, tv shows, movies etc.. and of course i took another blurry shot..lol
post #233 of 4504 Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:

i copied the w900cnet settigns for the gaming+ movie presets on my set. And on the gaming preset i made some additional adjustments (picture is neutral/ disables some extra crap and added a few things like live color, enhance whites, black enhancer ALL set to =LOW). The cnet tweaks for the white level make the colors look more natural. Still waiting for a procalibration.... but the set looks really nice!

And yes my ps3 is set to full RGB AND deepcolor is on (i think its only auto and off).

the pic doesnt do it justice..came out too dark and i got some motion blurring

this is from my pc desktop- i keep it in my movie mode (i selected the GENERAL preset for it) with alot of extra stuff on it that could kill my input lag if i played games lol. Thi sis my main for all other things.. watching youtube, tv shows, movies etc.. and of course i took another blurry shot..lol

Thanks. May have to try that route and see if those w900 settings look good on this set. Although, even just playing with the settings myself produced a great picture, IMO.
post #234 of 4504 Old 10-29-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grif82 View Post

Thanks. May have to try that route and see if those w900 settings look good on this set. Although, even just playing with the settings myself produced a great picture, IMO.

hey grif82, since you just got your set, are you noticing any backlighting inconsistencies? on solid white or solid black picture?

post #235 of 4504 Old 10-29-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post

hey grif82, since you just got your set, are you noticing any backlighting inconsistencies? on solid white or solid black picture?

Yes, there are some subtle inconsistencies where the edges or corners or the TV are a touch brighter in black scenes. But I think that is rather common in edge lit LED. White scenes where the screen is total white have some areas that may not be as white as the others as well. Put it this way, if I hadn't known about these issues beforehand or never have seen plasma set in its full glory, I would not be complaining one bit. Now I do still love the TV. The colors are amazing, but like all TVs (LED and plasma) none are perfect. I wanted a large set with great response time, no risk of IR/burn-in, and a very good picture (maybe not the best as I would of went plasma).
post #236 of 4504 Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grif82 View Post

Yes, there are some subtle inconsistencies where the edges or corners or the TV are a touch brighter in black scenes. But I think that is rather common in edge lit LED. White scenes where the screen is total white have some areas that may not be as white as the others as well. Put it this way, if I hadn't known about these issues beforehand or never have seen plasma set in its full glory, I would not be complaining one bit. Now I do still love the TV. The colors are amazing, but like all TVs (LED and plasma) none are perfect. I wanted a large set with great response time, no risk of IR/burn-in, and a very good picture (maybe not the best as I would of went plasma).

Thanks for the response - sides I'm not too concerned with, but sometimes i notice brighter areas right in the center of the screen. Guess I'm more sensitive to it, but yea the colors are excellent.

post #237 of 4504 Old 10-29-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post

Thanks for the response - sides I'm not too concerned with, but sometimes i notice brighter areas right in the center of the screen. Guess I'm more sensitive to it, but yea the colors are excellent.

Ya, I don't have any brighter areas in the center of the screen. Just brighter edges and corners that mover to a darker middle. Anther thing is that I don't find off-axis viewing to be very bad as long as it isn't too extreme.
post #238 of 4504 Old 10-30-2013, 04:01 AM

Liked: 10

Hi. I'm going to buy a TV and I'm torn between the Sony and the Samsung 65F8000. I have not found any reviews in depth on the sony, so I would be interested to know your opinion as having one. Knowing strengths and weaknesses that you see to find out if it's worth buying one, or else it would be better the Samsung. The use that I will give is watch movies and sports in HD, usually downloaded from the Internet or blu-ray (mkv, mp4, avi, ts).
I'm not English, I hope the google translator is legible to you. Grateful for your comments.
Regards,

post #239 of 4504 Old 10-30-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm View Post

As indicated in the review below, the W900A uses a PSA (Polymer Sustained Alignment) panel made by Samsung.

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/sony-kdl-55w900a-p15221/test.html

Nice review, that explains the panel mystery. However, I do not think the panel is made my samsung. This here: http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/screen-technology-sub-pixels-up-close-a1547.html says that PSA technology is made by both Samsung and AU-O. The part number for the panel closely follows AU-O branding.
post #240 of 4504 Old 10-31-2013, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just viewed the 65w850a and the vignetting at the edges was visible in the best buy feed. I like this set ; however, I am inquiring if the edge shadows are in all sets and if so, have the vignetting diminished over time or are they the same level as when purchased. Thanks in advance for your info and advice. check6
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page