post #2522 of 4360 Old 04-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorex1 View Post

Thanks for your replies all. Same issue on both bluray player And PS3. Will get new movie Monday and take it from there. I'm almost 100% sure it's a bad copy of the movie. 3d glasses are on, my player supports 3d, ps3 3d looks good, etc. One thing I've learned is that amazon customer service is awesome. Like I said they are replacing it with rush shipping and the will pay return shipping for this bad copy.

I agree, the Amazon people are the greatest to deal with ever.

WS
post #2523 of 4360 Old 04-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Scenic screen shot, click the picture for the larger view. Raise you monitors brightness to see how good my TV screen really looks.

post #2524 of 4360 Old 04-13-2014, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

It would be nice to have a 70 or 75 inch set maybe years away. I doubt I could go a new set unless it included the Triluminos display that has the deep blacks this W850a set has. The vivid and many extra colors from the Triluminos display has really spoiled me, blame it on Sony.

Well, I've got both the 55W900a and the 65W850a here now! Both are calibrated. So far, I think I like the picture on the 900a better, but it's splitting hairs at this point. I've been noticing a bit more motion blur and black crush pixelation on Uverse on the 65w850a. Didn't see it that readily on the 900. I'm sure a bit more tinkering should get it. We'll see!

For reference, I've been using the settings posted on this site, as well as another that's escaping my memory at the moment. I then used DVE: HD Basics (blu-ray disc), Xbox One built in calibration tool and the THX app for iOS to check. I always feel good when I see my settings mostly sticking between tools. Then, as asinine as it may sound, I then usually tweak it just a bit to get the picture I want. Nothing too dramatic, but I do like having the bright whites on. I've never been a big fan of swapping viewing modes, so I try to nail one down to how I like to watch.

I do wonder if I should be more willing to calibrate multiple modes; I have been enjoying Titanfall. The impulse mode is just so dark in comparison to the others, even if I crank up the backlight. I'm not noticing an input lag on the game, like I did with my old tv. After playing MLB 13: The Show on a different set for most of last year's baseball season, moving it to my previous Samsung proved that I couldn't hit a pitch in the game - very obvious lag. Not as easy to discern when my gaming "technique" in Titanfall is "run around crazy and just shoot anything that moves." wink.gif

Should I really be calibrating multiple profiles?

As an aside, I never actually say "splitting hairs" in person, but I've said it twice in this thread. You learn something new about yourself everyday!
WhiteSands likes this.

post #2525 of 4360 Old 04-13-2014, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet396 View Post

$400 more from a place I've never heard of that wants a money order or check?
I appreciate your assistance though.

I'm in Canada but I had considered ordering from them since they do take credit cards and I have a US shipping address.
Quote:

Talked them down to $1350

Good deal. I'd take a look at the hours and make my decision from there.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2526 of 4360 Old 04-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDhaliwal View Post

Well, I've got both the 55W900a and the 65W850a here now! Both are calibrated. So far, I think I like the picture on the 900a better, but it's splitting hairs at this point. I've been noticing a bit more motion blur and black crush pixelation on Uverse on the 65w850a. Didn't see it that readily on the 900. I'm sure a bit more tinkering should get it. We'll see!

For reference, I've been using the settings posted on this site, as well as another that's escaping my memory at the moment. I then used DVE: HD Basics (blu-ray disc), Xbox One built in calibration tool and the THX app for iOS to check. I always feel good when I see my settings mostly sticking between tools. Then, as asinine as it may sound, I then usually tweak it just a bit to get the picture I want. Nothing too dramatic, but I do like having the bright whites on. I've never been a big fan of swapping viewing modes, so I try to nail one down to how I like to watch.

I do wonder if I should be more willing to calibrate multiple modes; I have been enjoying Titanfall. The impulse mode is just so dark in comparison to the others, even if I crank up the backlight. I'm not noticing an input lag on the game, like I did with my old tv. After playing MLB 13: The Show on a different set for most of last year's baseball season, moving it to my previous Samsung proved that I couldn't hit a pitch in the game - very obvious lag. Not as easy to discern when my gaming "technique" in Titanfall is "run around crazy and just shoot anything that moves." wink.gif

As an aside, I never actually say "splitting hairs" in person, but I've said it twice in this thread. You learn something new about yourself everyday!

I'm not a gamer but the W850 set should auto switch you to it's game mode in the scene-select list which should eliminate any motion blur problems. If you set the scene-select to General, then you can manually choose any picture mode or Sony's, scene-selection you want to use.

I use the factory picture-mode calibration on my Sony set as all the manufactures have really improved on this subject in the last 2 or so years. I do a minimum of settings changes on both Vivid and Standard to improve their PQ somewhat.

I do much prefer the much larger Sony 65" screen to the 55" plasma set I was using earlier.
post #2527 of 4360 Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The 1350 is a display 850a.
Hmm. Found a display panny vt60 for $1700

Sorry to clutter the thread. The panny was a 65". However they would not sell it due to having burn-in along the left (I could not see it with the content that it was showing) and they could not find the remote.

Weird situation in all -why would they still have it out? And when I first asked to check ours he said sure, I was just showing this to someone the other day.

Anyway - have the 850a. Going to evaluate it at home during the 30 day return window.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2528 of 4360 Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 PM

Liked: 37
Interesting to see a color test by sony to compare with samsung. You can download the file and test at store

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLCZsJdfSHs&sns=em
post #2529 of 4360 Old 04-13-2014, 09:21 PM

Detail test by sony on the x reality pro processor

http://youtu.be/G5ycx96gdZ4
post #2530 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Shouldn't one take the size of the tvs into account when judging the picture quality. I always thought the smaller the TV the better picture you are going to see compared to a bigger screen. Because W900A is only 55 inch (compared to W850A which is 65 inch) is that at reason the picture looks better on it compared to w850A. Can one really compare the picture quality of tv with different screen sizes (difference of 10 inch).

Lets say if W850A had 55 inch or vice versa that W900 had a 65 inch, wouldn't then the comparison be more accurate. I am just wondering whether difference in the picture quality is more due to the difference in screen size compared to the other factors. I always thought the picture quality deteriorates bigger the screen size.
post #2531 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite1der View Post

I use PS3MediaServer. Make certain to use the BraviaW renderer. It supports the following codecs:

Anything else will need to be transcoded.

--JamesT

Thanks for the info. I ended up installing XBMC on my PC and the Sony saw it right away. Did some quick testing and it works pretty well.
post #2532 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestboy1 View Post

Quote:

Shouldn't one take the size of the tvs into account when judging the picture quality. I always thought the smaller the TV the better picture you are going to see compared to a bigger screen. Because W900A is only 55 inch (compared to W850A which is 65 inch) is that at reason the picture looks better on it compared to w850A. Can one really compare the picture quality of tv with different screen sizes (difference of 10 inch).

Lets say if W850A had 55 inch or vice versa that W900 had a 65 inch, wouldn't then the comparison be more accurate. I am just wondering whether difference in the picture quality is more due to the difference in screen size compared to the other factors. I always thought the picture quality deteriorates bigger the screen size.

bestboy the bigger the screen size the more chances you have of seeing clouding, flashlighting ect. The reason why the PQ is better on the W9 is due to the Black Panel that is used along with the Quantom Dot tech used for the Triluminous feature. The W850 don't have either of those. But there is no way I am going to take any credit away from the 850 because its a beautiful tv and the 850 in 65inch only was produced by Sony because so many people were upset that the W9 was not released in a bigger size and that's coming directly from my Sony insider. Many say bigger is better but that's not always the case and I have read many posts where people say that a 55inch tv is not big enough for a living room. To that I say B.S!
bestboy1 likes this.
post #2533 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM

Ok purchased the 65w850A for $1950 from authorized dealer free delivery/no tax. I tried to push for 1900 but did not budge. Got to negotiate. They now have it listed for $2098
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2534 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

Colorful Ocean

That looks like Hawaii. Think I've been there. I'll post a photo from IRL later tonight. cool.gif
post #2535 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefranky222 View Post

Ok purchased the 65w850A for $1950 from authorized dealer free delivery/no tax. I tried to push for 1900 but did not budge. Got to negotiate. They now have it listed for $2098

Your got a great price for a great TV and it's good you found a Sony authorized dealer to buy it from.
post #2536 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 PM

So what/where is the calibration setting for this TV? Is it on this thread?
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2537 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'd like to point out the advantages of having a professional calibration done to whatever TV you own. Over the years, I've had a number of my TVs professionally calibrated by a certified ISF calibrator. I've always liked the results and felt it was worth the cost. Here's a link to a CNet article that talks more about professional calibration.
http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdtv-calibration/
post #2538 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

So what/where is the calibration setting for this TV? Is it on this thread?

Yes they're on here some place - or you could PM WhiteSands for his settings, which most of us have used and feel are great!! smile.gif
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2539 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 02:30 PM

Liked: 16
guys could someone know this.
playing ps4 in game mode.
theres the option live color..is this the triluminous option?
when i put it the color is só good.will this add input lag?
post #2540 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Liked: 13
I have been following this thread and bought the 65W850a based upon the comments and also of the review from Sound & Vision. The first unit, assembled in 12/2013, had somewhat severe vertical banding, with some banding lighter than the screen and some darker than the screen.

The unit has been replaced by a unit assembled in 2/2014.. However, there is still some vertical banding, but it is in the form of a wider, single and darker band.

The question I am posing now is how high people have set the brightness setting. On the first unit, it was at 50 and had excellent blacks. The unit I just received had to have the brightness lowered to 40 in order to keep the blacks dark and not washed out in grey or showing a blueness tinge in dark areas.

I am running the unit in a standard setting.

Has anyone seen such a radical difference in brightness on their screen? Someone had sent in a screen picture of the Hobbit and it shows the dark areas as being somewhat blue which may be an indicator that there could be, in fact, an issue with the brightness setting and White Sands commented on this similarly.

This thread has been most helpful and I appreciate everyone who has chimed in on it.

Thanks.
post #2541 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 05:00 PM

I sure hope I get a good unit from abt.com. I am worried I may get a bad unit. I asked the. Batch was received end of March. So I may get a February or March manufacture date. Time will tell. Should get the TV next Monday or sooner.
post #2542 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 05:03 PM

I can tell you I was in a delema. I was thinking to make the leap jump and go to 65x850a for $3500 with free 4k media player. But did not want to spend the money and got the 65w850a. Maybe next year
post #2543 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibo View Post

I have been following this thread and bought the 65W850a based upon the comments and also of the review from Sound & Vision. The first unit, assembled in 12/2013, had somewhat severe vertical banding, with some banding lighter than the screen and some darker than the screen.

The unit has been replaced by a unit assembled in 2/2014.. However, there is still some vertical banding, but it is in the form of a wider, single and darker band.

The question I am posing now is how high people have set the brightness setting. On the first unit, it was at 50 and had excellent blacks. The unit I just received had to have the brightness lowered to 40 in order to keep the blacks dark and not washed out in grey or showing a blueness tinge in dark areas.

I am running the unit in a standard setting.

Has anyone seen such a radical difference in brightness on their screen? Someone had sent in a screen picture of the Hobbit and it shows the dark areas as being somewhat blue which may be an indicator that there could be, in fact, an issue with the brightness setting and White Sands commented on this similarly.

This thread has been most helpful and I appreciate everyone who has chimed in on it.

Thanks.

You may need to update the software with the new set. If it's still bright try pressing Home on you remote, then Settings, Preferences. Click ECO to see the list. Look for Room brightness sensor. This should be set to ON. Might turn if off then On again which is the default setting. Your right, I have always seen 50 as the brightness default. Works great and including the deep blacks. I have no idea why your set would be any different. You might compare the Vivid brightness setting and see if it acts the same as Standard. First I would turn the backlight down to 7 on Vivid so it will be so bright.

This extra brightness you speak of is probably why your seeing much more banding than you should. On my set I can't see any banding anymore during ice hockey games. This is after I put in Cnets Noise Filters set to Off which they are 5 in this set. This is supposed to improve the picture but I could not tell much difference other than the little banding I was seeing was gone.

I will PM you the Cnet settings.
post #2544 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM

Liked: 22
Hello folks,

I'm in a bit of a conundrum ...
I recently bought an open box Sharp Elite PRO-70x5fd, with only 600 hours on it (Elite henceforth) for $2500, it's got some issues, of which I will spare you guys of the details, but coming from a Pioneer Elite PRO-101FD, Elite's picture doesn't look "natural" enough to me, but to Elite's credit, it's got amazing black level and light output, but colors leave a bit to be desired.

There are screen uniformity issues on the Elite as well. I was able to get Sharp/Pioneer to acknowledge the issue and for that they gave me two options,
a) Return authorization to Best Buy for a full refund.
b) Exchange with a brand new replacement.

I am seriously considering going for option a) and get the Sony 65W850A.

I have seen one in MHT right next to Samsung F8500, and 850A held it's own with smooth picture, beautiful colors and very good black levels.

The question is, has anyone of you had a chance to compare 65W850A with the Sharp Elite or at least had seen both to provide some feedback?

I really love the colors on 65W850A and willing to sacrifice some black levels for better screen uniformity and colors.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2545 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 07:25 PM

If you exchange for a brand new unit, can you sell it brand new on ebay for more than 2500? If so do that and go buy the 65W850A or get a refund and go buy a 65W850A. I just bought this unit and still did not receive it but I spend countless hours at best buy. I think they all know me by now......The key is the processer as well. Sony knows how to make a processer. My two cents.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2546 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
get the new B series Cnet said Compared with the "8" series Sony TV we reviewed last year, the KDL-W850B is better by far.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2547 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

If you exchange for a brand new unit, can you sell it brand new on ebay for more than 2500? If so do that and go buy the 65W850A or get a refund and go buy a 65W850A. I just bought this unit and still did not receive it but I spend countless hours at best buy. I think they all know me by now......The key is the processer as well. Sony knows how to make a processer. My two cents.
Well, that is a possibility...but too much of a hassle for me right now .
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins View Post

get the new B series Cnet said Compared with the "8" series Sony TV we reviewed last year, the KDL-W850B is better by far.

Would you provide the link where CNET reviewed 850B?

Edit: Never mind, found the link, very recent review: http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-kdl-70w850b/
WhiteSands likes this.
post #2548 of 4360 Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

The "A" series Cnet reviewed was the W802A model. The W850B and the W802A are inferior compared to the W850A, as only the latter has Sony's Triluminous technology.

Cliff note: W850A blows W850B and W802A picture quality out of the water.
post #2549 of 4360 Old 04-15-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawad View Post

Quote:

The "A" series Cnet reviewed was the W802A model. The W850B and the W802A are inferior compared to the W850A, as only the latter has Sony's Triluminous technology.

I agree Jawad. The W850A is far far better then either the W850B or the W802A. After watching David's review I felt he didn't have a lot of love for the W850B.
post #2550 of 4360 Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawad View Post

I asked David Katzmaier the following question on CNET in regards to his review of W850B on CNET:

"Hi David.
How does this set compare to last years Sony 65 inch W850A in terms of colors and blacks?"

This is the reply I got from him:

"katzmaier 2 hours ago
@bestboy1 I don't know since I never reviewed a 65-inch W850A."

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-kdl-60w850b/
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page