post #241 of 4419 Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjocky View Post

I just viewed the 65w850a and the vignetting at the edges was visible in the best buy feed. I like this set ; however, I am inquiring if the edge shadows are in all sets and if so, have the vignetting diminished over time or are they the same level as when purchased. Thanks in advance for your info and advice. check6

Best estimate is that the vignetting is a result of the edge backlighting used. Many people evaluating these TVs have reported seeing it, so it's probably safe to assume it's inherint in all W850a TVs. I don't think it will diminish over time - maybe Sony will release something like a W850b in the future that could improve, or at least minimize, the darkening at the edges. But that remains to be seen.

I was at Best Buy today looking for an alternative and I saw the same issue to different degrees on many different brands and sizes of LED TVs.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 4419 Old 10-31-2013, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks for the response DaverJ. I was very impressed with the PQ of the w900 and that set did not have vignetting and is edge lit as well. Obviously this larger panel is of a different manufacturer. Any one know whom that might be? check6.
post #243 of 4419 Old 10-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Would any current owners of the 850 mind taking a few out of center shots of their set (maybe in a dark room), I'm still on the fence about my unit being defective or not - want to see how some other 850 fare on backlighting especially off angle. Thanks in advance

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
post #244 of 4419 Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 AM

If any one has compared the W850 with the 65s990a for PQ and the passive 3d: please take the time to give us your opinion. The s990 is not available in Austin,Tx. for comparison.
post #245 of 4419 Old 11-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Here are a few more screen shots from my few week old w850a.

These two are while streaming a movie.

Note the eye detail in this next one.

DaverJ likes this.
post #246 of 4419 Old 11-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

I just got a $30 credit from amazon. I looked and they show the sony kdl-65w850a TV page. Page down some on the page where it says, people who bought this TV, also bought - listed was the square trade 5-yr extended warranty for the price range $2500/$3000. The new lower square trade price is now $280.56. I got a $30 credit by calling amazon and they gave me a price match. Maybe not as low priced as the Costco deal, but I had already bought the one from square trade though amazon.
post #247 of 4419 Old 11-03-2013, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post

Would any current owners of the 850 mind taking a few out of center shots of their set (maybe in a dark room), I'm still on the fence about my unit being defective or not - want to see how some other 850 fare on backlighting especially off angle. Thanks in advance

Hmm... You sound like you're not too satisfied with the purchase. Frankly if you don't find yourself embracing and accepting your tv after a few days, i think generally it is safe to say subconsciously you're leaning towards returning it / changing it already so maybe you should just do that quickly
post #248 of 4419 Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 AM

Sands... Thanks for the pictures, you have a keeper! check6
WhiteSands likes this.
post #249 of 4419 Old 11-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Last night I watched Avatar in 3D. I was very impressed with the 3D picture quality on this set. I never care for 3D in the movies as they were not bright enough or dingy colors due to wearing the 3D glasses. Now with this new Sony set the colors in 3D look very true and are plenty bright, much better than when at the theater. This movie includes fantastic audio if you have a home theater sound system.

I watched the very popular movie, Avatar with it's many great 3D scenes. I didn't do anything special, but place the Avatar 3D blu-ray into my panasonic 3d blu-ray player. The TV auto switched to the 3D mode. I pressed the tiny white button on top of the 3D glasses after pulling the clear tab off a new pair to allow the battery to operate. The white button lit up for maybe 3-seconds, then it would slowly flash indicating they were turned on while watching the movie.

You will need to use a blu-ray player capable of showing 3D blu-ray disk to allow the TV's 3D feature to work properly.

Again I had to change the Screen Mode from Auto to General to get the 3D movie to brighten up. I don't know what causes this, but when set to General this movie was a knockout.

I didn't think to change any 3D settings so I watched the movie with the 3D depth set to medium. I reset it later to high while experimenting looking at some simulated 2D to 3D football games and other 2D converted TV programs. It's ok but players look a little flat although you can see some players standing in front or behind due to the 3D's depth feature.

This TV is so much better showing 3D movies compared to the two year old plasma set I had. The plasma was not bright enough in 3D and the colors had that slight green tint which I don't like. That's not so with this Sony set, the colors look really great in 3D and for sure the picture is plenty bright enough. On the 3D page you can set the brightness from medium to high if you want.
Here is how to get to the 3D menu.

Press Home on the remote, then choose Settings, Picture & Display.

Open 3D Settings

This is where I changed the 3D depth from medium to high. I watched Avatar in medium and may be default. Even with medium at times some objects looked to be a few feet or so in front of the screen. The depth also looked good when watching this movie.

Try this setting if you want to try watching 2D to 3D converted TV programs or movies. Once done you need to come back and turn off the 3D to watch regular 2D television. I don't know if the 3D glasses auto turn off once you are done watching the TV in 3D or not. I may give that a try next time. I like the list of game settings split screen for 2D and 3D gaming.

post #250 of 4419 Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

I see where amazon sweetened the deal a little on this kdl-65w850a set to boost sales. Instead of the original 2% back in rewards they recently upped it to 6%. I gave them a call and mentioned my set being a few weeks old. After a good wait they agreed to give me the amazon credit. I'm now wondering if they will discount the TV price for Thanksgiving or Black Friday. It's to late for me, i'm already past the 14-day price match. I still enjoy keeping up with the prices of the TV's.
post #251 of 4419 Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10

Hello everyone. I see some of you have already this TV (WhiteSands, for example) or you have watched it in operation. A lack of analysis of niche sites like Cnet, I think it would be very interesting that you share your experience doing a little analysis of the TV, with its good points and issues if any, etc.. Thus, the undecided like me could have a reference that can serve us in undertaking a good buy choice.

Thanks and sorry for the google translator.

post #252 of 4419 Old 11-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So the vertical bright banding was annoying me on my set - I figured since no one else was specifically complaining about my issue I may have had a defect with my screen. Decided on getting a replacement through Amazon (it was a painless process to make the replacement order). New set should arrive this weekend - ill let you guys now how it fares.

Thanks whitesands for posting that 6% promotion on Amazon. I was able to get that as well just right now (this tv keeps becoming a better and better deal...).

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
post #253 of 4419 Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 PM

Liked: 16

I recently purchased a KDL-70R550A and was fairly impressed with the passive 3d. However, the set is horrible with color in every other setting. It was a great deal on Amazon, but now I am returning to find a better picture. 

I had been circling around the TC-P65VT60 for quite some time, but couldn't pull the trigger due to the IR scare. I don't have a clue about how to break in a plasma, but the reviews from everyone have had me salivating. 

All I want to know about the 65W850a is whether or not the triluminous color is every bit what sony makes it out to be. If I could be happy with this set, I believe I could find a good middle ground between the junk I have now and stepping up to the plasma plate and being disappointed due to IR. 

I have had other Sony LEDs for the past few years and have been decently happy with blacks, but not one of them are touting what these new Trilumious models do.

Anyone else have an older Sony LED Bravia from the last few years that just got the 850 that can attest to the colors/blacks, or better yet, have come from testing a VT60 and going the 850 route??

post #254 of 4419 Old 11-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBry View Post

I recently purchased a KDL-70R550A and was fairly impressed with the passive 3d. However, the set is horrible with color in every other setting. It was a great deal on Amazon, but now I am returning to find a better picture. 

I had been circling around the TC-P65VT60 for quite some time, but couldn't pull the trigger due to the IR scare. I don't have a clue about how to break in a plasma, but the reviews from everyone have had me salivating. 

All I want to know about the 65W850a is whether or not the triluminous color is every bit what sony makes it out to be. If I could be happy with this set, I believe I could find a good middle ground between the junk I have now and stepping up to the plasma plate and being disappointed due to IR. 

I have had other Sony LEDs for the past few years and have been decently happy with blacks, but not one of them are touting what these new Triluminos models do.

Anyone else have an older Sony LED Bravia from the last few years that just got the 850 that can attest to the colors/blacks, or better yet, have come from testing a VT60 and going the 850 route??

I understand the passive 3D don't give as much depth to the picture as the active 3D which this w850a has. The VT60 would be a nice set to buy. I will tell you, my panasonic 55" VT30 I had been watching for 2 years went out. I didn't think I needed a extended warranty when it was new. Now they say it will cost me about $500 to fix it. My thoughts is that it may go out again in another 2 years. I also found that Panasonic is not going to make any more plasma sets as of April 2014. Samsung will also drop their plasma sets in late 2014 from what I read. I prefer the cool running LED sets that use less than half the energy of the plasma sets.

I did lots of looking and being a big Sony fan from the past, I decided to look into this new w850a set with the Triluminos display. Now that I have had this set for over 2 weeks it's everything it's built up to be. It has a sharper more detailed picture with great colors and blacks. The blacks are as good as the blacks I had with the VT30 plasma.

I bought a 32" sony for the kitchen. It even had two adjustments for deeper blacks. I was so impressed with the blacks on this 32" set and vivid colors I decided to buy two more. I bought two 42" sets one for the computer room and the other to replace the smaller screen bedroom TV. I have been watching these 2012 and '13 sets for about a year. All these sets have decent blacks and good color, but they can't touch the w850a picture quality although the 65" set cost a lot more. The KDL65W850A was first sold by amazon in early October.

This would be a good set to try. It uses a quad 2.2 Ghz processor, something the high end 2014 sets will start using. This may be one of the early 2014 models to come out. As I mentioned earlier, after watching Avatar in 3D this set has the best brightness and colors even when watching in 3D. It's even better than 3D at the theater and it even outperformed the VT30 plasma in 3D.
post #255 of 4419 Old 11-06-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hi all, I'm coming from a 65" Samsung F7100.  I thought I was getting a bargain at $2,200 at best buy as it was 65 inches after all, professional and amateur reviews were good and my father in law's 5 year old 52" touch of red LCD from Samsung is still going strong and looks pretty darn good to me whenever I'm over there and a ball game is on.  If I was getting the same screen uniformity as that old set but in 65" with a few extra bells and whistles I'd have been happy.  Anyway this Samsung is a lemon, no other way to describe it.  First one had the worst vertical banding I'd ever seen.  Quite noticeable on an all gray screen and pretty much any sports fast action camera pan.  Unfortunately we had just moved into a new place when I bought this set so I had a lot of other things going on and wasn't watching much TV and didn't really notice the vertical banding until football season began and I was already beyond the return with no questions asked timeframe.  I had to go through the Geek squad on the extended warranty I purchased.  A tech came to the house and agreed that the panel was bad and ordered a new one.  10 days later he's back and replaces the panel only to find two dead pixels right in the middle of the screen.  So he calls management and asks if he can declare it a lemon and let me return the TV for any of my choice (with me paying the difference for a more expensive set).  No, one more try was the answer at the time but I subsequently got a call that the panels are in short supply (as in they can't get one for at least a month) so yes you can return the TV.

After spending some time with the second panel and looking beyond the dead pixels, this one also has vertical banding issues but not nearly as bad as the first panel.  You don't notice them during movies, at least I haven't come across many movie scenes where the camera pans quickly across a light colored background.  While watching sports you can still see them pop up but when the settings are in vivid mode with the contrast turned all the way up than they are much less pronounced but still there.  Also on this panel there aren't as many of them This second panel also has terrible flash-lighting in all four corners.  You can literally see the corner LEDs brightness projecting through the TV bezel and it makes any dark scenes or letter boxed scenes, especially when viewing at night time, pretty much unwatchable.

I've been in the process of looking for another set and hope the 65W850A is the answer.  About $500 more, at least at best buy, it's a pretty good jump above the price of the Samsung but if it has good screen uniformity I'll be happy with it.  I did go to Best Buy to check it out and unfortunately you can only see most of their TVs on either the standard loop that they run or with a Blu Ray player.  The loop is pretty much useless as far as I could tell.  I was a little put off that this set only has a native 120 Hz refresh rate but Sony also used a 120 Hz panel in the similarly styled $5,500 4K set displayed right near by in the theater room and that set is stunning so not sure how much the native refresh rate matters.  The more expensive set was playing the Avengers movie and it looked sweat even up close and the scenes were very fast paced and did not look either blurry or unnatural in the motion.  I popped in the first Harry Potter Blue Ray and turned the W850A to cinema mode and was impressed with the display, really good colors that looked natural, very good display of the dark scenes and no noticeable flash-lighting in the letter boxing.  I did not pick up on the darker shadowed display right near the side edges that others have described as an issue so I'll have to go back and check that out for myself.  I watched the Sony 4K set and the 850 pretty much simultaneously and from a normal viewing distance I thought the 850 was really holding its own compared to its much more expensive counterpart.  I switched the discs, with the Harry Potter disc now on the super high end set.  I didn't think is was blow you away better on that set at all, at least not from where I'd be watching at 10+ feet away in my family room.  So that was a very good sign for my potential purchase of the 850A.  Meanwhile, viewing the Avengers set on the 850A I was very impressed.  The fast paced action scenes looked great on the 850A and I was thinking this is really a top flight picture and it even sounded a lot better than most of these thin bezel sets.

I also tried out the high end 64" Samsung Plasma and that looked really nice on a Two Towers Blu Ray disc.  Really nice depth of picture that had that glossy glassy look you used to see on the Hi Def CRT tube TVs that I recalled liking so much but never purchased due to their limited screen size and heavy weight limitations.  But I had purchased a 43" Samsung Plasma a few years ago and it definitely developed either burn in or some serious IR that I would notice from time to time that was stuck on the screen for the full duration of whatever I was watching.  I have a 8 year old, a 12 year old and I can't baby sit the TV.  Heck I'm even liable to fall asleep in front of the set at night with the set stuck on ESPN or Bloomberg so the IR issue is still a big deal to me on the plasmas.  A friend of mine has what he considers a nice 60" LG plasma and he raves about how good it is.  I went over there to watch a football game and his kids were playing a video game on the set for a couple of hours before we switched it to football.  There was IR from the video game that I noticed on the set.  I don't know if it was permanent or not but it was there for the duration of the football game.  So despite how nice they are, I can't go plasma.

Anyway, getting back to the 850A, my question to the few that have it now is: Have you watched much fast action sports on it.  Have you been on the lookout for the vertical banding during the quick pan across the screen with either a green field as the back drop of the football or soccer ball, a puck zipping across the ice, or golf ball being panned over the green turf with the blue sky behind it.  The golf shot is probably the easiest to spot it on and that sort of camera action is present in every golf tournament.  Unfortunately this is what I can't see in the store so any response on that sort of visual test would be appreciated.

WhiteSands likes this.
post #256 of 4419 Old 11-06-2013, 01:15 PM

Been reading reviews on Amazon of Sony's 4K TVs.  Even in that flagship product there are several complaints of dirty screen effect and vertical banding on a light colored solid screen.  Even saw some complaints about it on last year's full array XBR model.  Seems that this is just part of the deal with the LEDs just as the IR is with the plasmas.  Pick your poison I guess.

post #257 of 4419 Old 11-06-2013, 01:24 PM

Thanks, WhiteSands for all the details above, and also, thanks to AnthJG for the details on Samsung. My local BestBuy is heavily pushing either Samsung micro dimming or Panasonic plasma. I'm choosing neither. I am going to give the w850a a try and hope for the best. I will post results her for others when I get my set from Amazon. Also, thanks for the heads up on the 6% back!

post #258 of 4419 Old 11-06-2013, 03:08 PM

No problem,  I'm probably going to pick up the 850A myself on Friday.  If it is comparable to my current panel on the Samsung in regards to the vertical banding in sports scenes I could live with that level of banding.  I don't see it in movies and against the backdrop of a green field it is pretty faint whereas on the first panel I had it was in your face noticeable no matter what setting the TV was on.  Against the white ice of a hockey game I can still notice it without having to look too hard and I suspect the same will be true on the Sony or any other LED.  Like I said, it's not that bad on this Samsung panel but this replacement panel came with other issues in the really terrible flashlighting and the two dead pixels.  The improved sound and overall better picture in the Sony I think will make for a better overall experience.  In a dark room the local dimming seemed to keep the flashlighting and clouding in the Sony to undetectable levels and to my eyes, there was no hint of a soap opera effect.

post #259 of 4419 Old 11-07-2013, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

This is a screen shot from a early '60s movie. I including a zoom look for more detail. It looks as if the blue sky takes away some of the natural facial color. click on picture for a larger look.

post #260 of 4419 Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 AM

I'm not sure what your point is. Do you think the Tv is handling the image the wrong way or that it is picking up a subtlety that you never noticed before in that movie. What is your source material from, cable, fios or satellite. Also, still curious about the extent of any banding or DSE. Have you tried a hockey game yet. Try watching one with the contrast set low and also on max level. Also on center and off angle. If its minimal and practically unnoticeable than that's about the best you can hope for out of today's LEDs. I think the late generation LCDs like my father in laws touch of red samsung actually had better uniformity but they maxed out at 52 inches and were thicker with wider bezels. The push for thinner depth and smaller bezels has sacrificed other things (sound, uniformity on LEDs and probaby plasmas have gone backwards on IR issues).
post #261 of 4419 Old 11-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

While watching this movie I noticed the color detail was very good but not shown in the pictures I posted. I was paying more attention to the good detail this set was producing. You can't see it if you open the large view of the second picture. I'm sure a recent or few year old movie's details would be much better. I use the dish network for general TV viewing. I watch most pro football games using a off-air antenna as the picture is a touch better. I don't remember seeing any DSE on this set so far.

Last night I watched a pro game using the picture mode set to standard. I left the motionflow and smooth gradation set to off which may be default. The picture looked great and I didn't notice any problems watching the ball as it was being thrown to the receivers.
AnthJG likes this.
post #262 of 4419 Old 11-08-2013, 01:01 PM

Looks like another 5 star post has been applied over at Amazon. Has me feeling better about my purchase and optimistic for the outlook of this TV. Can't wait for next week to try it out. 

I will post details once I get it delivered.

post #263 of 4419 Old 11-08-2013, 01:18 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post

Last night I watched Avatar in 3D. I was very impressed with the 3D picture quality on this set. I never care for 3D in the movies as they were not bright enough or dingy colors due to wearing the 3D glasses. Now with this new Sony set the colors in 3D look very true and are plenty bright, much better than when at the theater. This movie includes fantastic audio if you have a home theater sound system.

I watched the very popular movie, Avatar with it's many great 3D scenes. I didn't do anything special, but place the Avatar 3D blu-ray into my panasonic 3d blu-ray player. The TV auto switched to the 3D mode. I pressed the tiny white button on top of the 3D glasses after pulling the clear tab off a new pair to allow the battery to operate. The white button lit up for maybe 3-seconds, then it would slowly flash indicating they were turned on while watching the movie.

You will need to use a blu-ray player capable of showing 3D blu-ray disk to allow the TV's 3D feature to work properly.

Again I had to change the Screen Mode from Auto to General to get the 3D movie to brighten up. I don't know what causes this, but when set to General this movie was a knockout.

I didn't think to change any 3D settings so I watched the movie with the 3D depth set to medium. I reset it later to high while experimenting looking at some simulated 2D to 3D football games and other 2D converted TV programs. It's ok but players look a little flat although you can see some players standing in front or behind due to the 3D's depth feature.

This TV is so much better showing 3D movies compared to the two year old plasma set I had. The plasma was not bright enough in 3D and the colors had that slight green tint which I don't like. That's not so with this Sony set, the colors look really great in 3D and for sure the picture is plenty bright enough. On the 3D page you can set the brightness from medium to high if you want.
Here is how to get to the 3D menu.

Press Home on the remote, then choose Settings, Picture & Display.

Open 3D Settings

This is where I changed the 3D depth from medium to high. I watched Avatar in medium and may be default. Even with medium at times some objects looked to be a few feet or so in front of the screen. The depth also looked good when watching this movie.

Try this setting if you want to try watching 2D to 3D converted TV programs or movies. Once done you need to come back and turn off the 3D to watch regular 2D television. I don't know if the 3D glasses auto turn off once you are done watching the TV in 3D or not. I may give that a try next time. I like the list of game settings split screen for 2D and 3D gaming.

If you select for Auto3d mode "AUTO 2" it will automatically toggle 3d on and off smile.gif On my pc as soon as i play a 3d movie, you would see the side by side then the tv enables the 3d and joins the pictures
WhiteSands likes this.
post #264 of 4419 Old 11-08-2013, 02:08 PM

Today I got the codes from the Geek Squad and was able to make the exchange of my Samsung F7100 for the Sony.  Got it out of the box and on the TV stand.  Haven't fired it up yet but the wife loves the styling.  Build quality seems overall better, as in less flimsy and delicate.

post #265 of 4419 Old 11-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cg006 View Post

If you select for Auto3d mode "AUTO 2" it will automatically toggle 3d on and off smile.gif On my pc as soon as i play a 3d movie, you would see the side by side then the tv enables the 3d and joins the pictures

Thanks for the tip..
post #266 of 4419 Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 AM

Liked: 10
Hey Whitesands,

Could you look on the back and see if the TV is universal input or dedicated. I'm moving to Singapore soon and TVs are just way more expensive there...
post #267 of 4419 Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post

Hey Whitesands,

Could you look on the back and see if the TV is universal input or dedicated. I'm moving to Singapore soon and TVs are just way more expensive there...

It looks like the Sony has straight 110 volt TV with no universal input. Singapore uses a 230 volt, 50 watts they call frequency. They use a type G-plug with 2 lower horizontal blades and a single vertical blade at the top.

The plug looks slightly large due to their plugs using a cartridge type fuse.

This w850a Sony TV is rated at 90.5 watts with the picture mode is set to Standard.

You would need a US to Singapore 120 watt or higher step down transformer should work fine. I saw something about the off-air TV channels in Singapore are different and can't be picked up on a US television. A TV cable service would take care of that.
post #268 of 4419 Old 11-09-2013, 09:11 PM

I just got back from a two year stay in Singapore.  TVs there are expensive but not sure I'd want to buy a high end one here and ship it there and then trust that it would work seamlessly with a transformer.  A transformer fried my Mr. Coffee maker for some reason though the kids Wii worked fine on one and so did a big DLP we shipped there that was just used for DVDs and Wii.  Those things run very hot after a few hours.  The TV signal there doesn't work with US TV sets unless it is a dual PAL and NTSC TV.  There may be a converter for that, too.  Check out all of the issues at the US expats forum.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic68143.html

When we were there I knew it would be a relatively short stay so I bought a used 46" Sony LCD off of Singapore Craigslist for the equivalent of $550 US.  It was a universal set and is now in our master bedroom here in the US.  People are always coming and going so it is easy to find a deal on a TV set that is just a few years old as opposed to crazy retail prices.  But most sets for resale are 42" with some 46" sets available.  Larger than that you don't see for resale.  Retail prices seemed like double US prices for models that were the prior year's technology here.

WhiteSands likes this.
post #269 of 4419 Old 11-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

When my set was new a about 3 weeks ago I noticed a big jump between the three picture modes. Vivid was way to bright, Standard looked rather faded and Custom looked even worse. Here I only included any changes other than default. I also found if you change the brightness above 60, it lessens the sets deep blacks. Picture mode, Standard improved the most and is the easiest to do with only two changes. You might give these settings a try and if your not satisfied, choose reset to go back to default on each of the picture mode settings.

I prefer setting the Scene Select to General which constantly looked better. Using a calibration disk I found that setting the motion flow to Smooth seemed to clean up the motion blue I was seeing earlier at 24p. I did this on all three picture modes. This setting showed great results on the test disk. I will watch a DVR game up in the day to see how it looks on the motion flow, Standard setting.

Picture Mode = Vivid

Backlight, 5

brightness, 45

color, 60

color temp, neutral

sharpness 55

smooth gradation, off

motion flow, smooth

cine motion, off

Picture Mode = Standard

backlight, Max

sharpness, 55

smooth gradation, off

motion flow, smooth

cine motion, off

Picture Mode = Custom

backlight, Max

picture, Max

brightness, 59

color, 55

color temp, neutral

sharpness, 55
post #270 of 4419 Old 11-11-2013, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone tested the lag on the 65W850A with the bodnar device?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page