Having TV Problems and Need Some Help/Guidance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After the green blob problem came back on my KDS-70XBR2 SXRD RPTV for the third time I decided to replace the thing. After doing some research I decided that the Sharp 70LE857 would fit the bill. It has decent reviews, I could hang it on the wall, and was the same size as the Sony I was replacing. Unfortunately, the only place I could go look at the TV was Best Buy Magnolia center. When I first looked at the Sharp I thought it was an ok TV. I did see the Samsung 65F8000 and thought the picture quality was a lot better, but was told by the salesman that the Sharp 8 series can be dialed in to look exactly like the Samsung 8000 series but he can't do anything about it because Best Buy's policy is to put the TV on display using the out of the box settings. Based on this I decided to go with the Sharp because I thought the 65 inch would look a lot smaller than the 70 inch I was replacing (the viewing distance is 13'). I would have considered the 75" Samsung 8000 but the jump in price from 65-75 inches is $5k, which didn't make sense to me nor did the 75" Samsung seem worth $8k to me.

I got the Sharp home and used the AVS HD 709 calibration patterns to adjust the TV. After watching the TV for a week I am beyond disappointed. The TV is not very sharp (pun not intended), it lacks a huge amount of detail. The color is still wonky and doesn't look right or natural. Any content that is 720p or less from DirecTV looks horrible and is very difficult to watch. Best Buy took my old TV so I can't compare side by side but I know my old SXRD set didn't look this bad. Additionally I have a Sonly KDL-40XBR6 in my bedroom and it looks way better than this Sharp. When my wife who has no clue about any of the technical differences between TVs walks in and looks at the TV and says it looks terrible, I know I have a problem. The Sharp isn't all that bad when watching a Blu Ray but when I put any 3D content on, the TV is unwatchable, there is just way too much ghosting going on that I can't enjoy the movie. I had to turn it off.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, got a bad TV, or if this is what you get with all large LCD panels. I thought about bringing the TV back but feel a bit unsure by the the whole process and I'm getting much help at Best Buy. I can't view any 3D content, they have problems with their cables so I can't view 720p content on the TVs. Right now I'm leaning towards returning the Sharp for a Sony KDL-70R550A which looked like it was between the Sharp and Samsung's PQ, or sucking up the loss of five inches and going with the Samsung 65F8000. Anyone have any thoughts, recommendations, or other things to consider?

One last question do all the active 3D TVs have ghosting? Does ghosting happen with passive 3D? I've read a lot of the passive vs active forum but was wondering about ghosting. I guess the more correct question would be: Is ghosting normal with 3D? If so, is passive or active any more prone to ghosting? The dude at Best Buy treated me like I was crazy for saying I saw ghosting on the Sharp 70LE857.

Thanks,
JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-23-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
you don't say what mode you were dialing it in with. start with movie mode. turn off all auto settings like auto contrast, power saving, etc. turn off film mode. now set brightness (black point) and contrast (white point) using your setup disc.

don't feed the set 720p, feed it 1080i our you'll be in motion artifact hell. these sets can be dialed in very nicely. check the 857 owners thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/510

someone posted some settings in the last post... YMMV

Best,
jeff
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kds R70xbr2 70 Inch Sxrd Xbr Rear Projection Hdtv , Samsung Un65f8000 65 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un65f8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page