Samsung Series 6 6400 LED Brightness Fluctuates - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(I posted this last week in the "3D" display section because, yeah, this unit is a 3D, not that I care for that particular feature, but because I could not find "LED" anywhere instead. That post got like zero responses in a week. Now I think I've figured out that "LCD" includes these "LED" displays, so I am going to repost here. Please forgive the duplication).

I have recently installed a Samsung Series 6 46" model 6400 LED (3D) display (it replaces my 10 year old Samsung DLP - a display so old it doesn't even have HDMI!).

I am noticing that in dark scenes in movies, the brightness of the picture fluctuates. This doesn't seem to happen in brightly lit scenes, but once the action moves into a dark setting, the brightness begins to fluctuate -- sometimes within a shot, sometimes when the action cuts to a new angle.

My source is a TiVo Series 3 (HD). I do not see the problem with recorded video programs (like sports). Only movies, only dark passages.

The manual/tech support suggests turning off "Eco Sensor" and "Energy Saver." They are both off.

A Home Theater guy at Best Buy suggested turning off Dynamic Contrast. That didn't make any difference either.

There are a lot advanced settings that I have not experimented with.

Perhaps somebody within the sound of these digits has experienced a similar issue and found a solution - or can direct me to the correct form where to post this issue....?

Thanks,

--PS

"The difficult we do right away; the impossible takes slightly longer." -- Philo T. Farnsworth, Inventor of Television <
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver49 View Post

(I posted this last week in the "3D" display section because, yeah, this unit is a 3D, not that I care for that particular feature, but because I could not find "LED" anywhere instead. That post got like zero responses in a week. Now I think I've figured out that "LCD" includes these "LED" displays, so I am going to repost here. Please forgive the duplication).

I have recently installed a Samsung Series 6 46" model 6400 LED (3D) display (it replaces my 10 year old Samsung DLP - a display so old it doesn't even have HDMI!).

I am noticing that in dark scenes in movies, the brightness of the picture fluctuates. This doesn't seem to happen in brightly lit scenes, but once the action moves into a dark setting, the brightness begins to fluctuate -- sometimes within a shot, sometimes when the action cuts to a new angle.

My source is a TiVo Series 3 (HD). I do not see the problem with recorded video programs (like sports). Only movies, only dark passages.

The manual/tech support suggests turning off "Eco Sensor" and "Energy Saver." They are both off.

A Home Theater guy at Best Buy suggested turning off Dynamic Contrast. That didn't make any difference either.

There are a lot advanced settings that I have not experimented with.

Perhaps somebody within the sound of these digits has experienced a similar issue and found a solution - or can direct me to the correct form where to post this issue....?

Thanks,

--PS

What picture mode are you in? If you're not in movie mode, it's probably the microdimming feature that's resulting in the brightness fluctuations.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm pretty much in "Standard" mode. I looked at "Movie" mode but really didn't care for the way it looks. Not like "Movies" at all.

So, this "microdimming" feature.... is there a setting where that can be turned off?

--PS

"The difficult we do right away; the impossible takes slightly longer." -- Philo T. Farnsworth, Inventor of Television <
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>
post #4 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver49 View Post

I'm pretty much in "Standard" mode. I looked at "Movie" mode but really didn't care for the way it looks. Not like "Movies" at all.

So, this "microdimming" feature.... is there a setting where that can be turned off?

--PS

I don't believe you can turn off the microdimming feature.

I'm sure other F6400 owners can help out in the official thread. I believe there are some suggested calibration settings you can try out based on the movie mode: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467500/samsung-unxxf6400-thread
post #5 of 6 Old 09-26-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Here's a thread on dimming.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1489516/how-disable-screen-dimming

If you have never "calibrated" the Standard mode it does look a lot different than Movie.

Initially I liked Standard mode & did not like Movie mode. Then I spent some time using a calibration disc & adjusted the Standard mode settings. I still preferred that to the default Movie mode. Then I used the disc patterns to adjust the Movie mode settings & got the Movie mode to pretty much look like Standard mode. I might be able to get them to look even more the same with a little more tweaking, but they're really close now. Sometimes I use Standard & sometimes Movie because I'm trying to see which I prefer, but frequently have to check the Menu to see what mode I'm in because they are so similar.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-26-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Unfortunately the other posters are correct. Using Movie mode is the only current way afaik to defeat the micro dimming which, as you've discovered, can be wonky with dimming down to unwatchable levels when the material is on the darker end of the spectrum.

That said, Movie can be made to look stunning. I'd start with Buzz' settings, linked to at the start of the F8000 owners thread.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46f6400 46 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page