which TV is better in picture quality terms? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so my sharp Elite the 70-inch version, is not repairable. sharp as decided to let me either get a refund or exchange the TV.I'm either going to get a Samsung or another sharp TV. I'm deciding between the 75 inch Samsung UN75F8000AFXZA and Sharp Aquos 80 inch LC-80LE857U. I'm interested more in PQ, I could get the 90 inch sharp TV if I put in a little extra money on top of the return/exchange. But I'm not sure about the PQ for it. Please tell the reasons on what your opinion is on which TV is better for what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-26-2013, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxownes View Post

so my sharp Elite the 70-inch version, is not repairable. sharp as decided to let me either get a refund or exchange the TV.I'm either going to get a Samsung or another sharp TV. I'm deciding between the 75 inch Samsung UN75F8000AFXZA and Sharp Aquos 80 inch LC-80LE857U. I'm interested more in PQ, I could get the 90 inch sharp TV if I put in a little extra money on top of the return/exchange. But I'm not sure about the PQ for it. Please tell the reasons on what your opinion is on which TV is better for what I'm looking for. Thanks.

I have a Sharp 857 60 inch and I am very happy with it. I had it shipped and received it with 0 issues out of the box.
The tv did need to be calibrated because the pre sets were either way to bright or to dark, but I used the Disney Wow disc and all came out great.

Pros to the Sharp:
Has a semi matte screen not a gloss one
Has bluetooth 3d glasses which work great
The higher 12,000:1 contrast ratio and superbright are a plus
Looks great with the brushed metal frame.
blacks and whites look really good and uniformed
Smart Central works good
Costs a lot less then the Samsung

Cons to the Sharp:
The Aquamotion 960 is useless. It makes the screen way to dark at least for me even with sports.
The Aquamotion 240 is really just a 120 hz setting with backlight dimming. It does work ok for fast motion and 3d movies but not so much for regular tv.
No matter what motion setting is used if you watch golf (I dont but tested the settings with it) you will get the shadowing from the ball.
Only comes with 2 3d glasses
Hulu Plus app is buggy as heck
Not many built in apps

Samsung has more features if you'll use any of it.
It has a clear motion rate of 1200, but if its anything like the Sharp 960 its useless.
Screen is gloss so the colors can be more vivid and accurate because of it.

I can't speak to much of the Samsung as I don't have one, but from the displays I've seen in several stores I could see either backlight bleed or flash lighting on them which is what turned me off. I dont get any of that on the Sharp. My wife didn't like it because they had the contrast up way to high because of store mode and made her sick. lol

Both are great tv's though and to me cant go wrong with either.

If you have questions about the Sharp feel free to ask.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-27-2013, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxownes View Post

I strongly considered the 857 before deciding on the UN75F8000 based the following reasons:

1. Simply put, I felt the F8000 had the superior picture quality. The microdimming and Smart LED features on the F8000 contribute to a great picture. The 857 lacks any kind of microdimming ability. Also, the Cinema Black feature on the F8000 supposedly help eliminate any flashlighting issues. Have you seen the sets in person? I spent a lot of time at my local Magnolia comparing the sets. Although I was initially attracted to the larger size of the 857, I just felt it couldn't match the PQ of the F8000.

2. I preferred the aesthetics of the F8000, especially the ultra slim bezel. It's build quality is amazing. Even the back panel is nicely finished, no shiny plastic anywhere. But I'll give Sharp credit, the styling of the 857u is a huge improvement over last year's 844u. No more cheap glossy bezel, but rather a nicely finished aluminum bezel.

3. Although it wasn't a major factor in my decision, the app store and selection is much better on the F8000. Nice to have quick access to HBOGo. Also, the F8000 is very responsive d/t the quad core processor. No lag in navigating the menus and apps open quickly.

4. I liked the fact that the F8000 can be upgraded via the Smart Evolution Kit. The 2013 Evolution Kit brought pretty nice improvements to the 2012 ES8000 line. Although I question how "future-proof" this set is d/t the arrival of 4k and OLED sets.

5. If you have a Samsung smartphone, the integration with the F8000 is fantastic. I love the ability to quickly share videos and pictures stored on my Note 2 with my F8000.

In the end, you'll be happy with either set (although the Sharp Elite sets the bar pretty high for PQ). If you want pure size, you can't beat the 857. But if picture quality is your priority, I'd say the F8000 has the advantage. You should ask for feedback in the respective forums for each set. You'll probably receive some helpful responses. Good luck.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp He Lc 80le857u 80 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un75f8000 75 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread