onkyo receiver not out putting dts from samsung es7500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-28-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a new onkyo receiver that decodes dts. and a samsung 55 inch es7500.
i have my directv going into avs and from avs to the tv. i watch netflix and movies streamed from my pc just fine with arc (audio return channel) enabled. only problem is i am getting dd5.1 sound through the arc channel just fine. but when i stream a movie that is dts all i get is pcm on my avs.
what would be stopping the dts from being returned through the arc channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

ok i figured out it is in my sound output setting on my tv..i can set it to pcm or dts or dolby digital.
now my question is which one should i use? i hear that pcm is much better (less compression). but when i leave it to pcm all my avr gets is pcm 2.0 when the movie i am watching is dts or dd5.1.
does this mean that the tv is only putting out 2 channel audio to avr and leaving it to the avr to upconvert to dplIIx or neo6 ... wouldnt it be better for the tv to output the true source to my avr like dts or dd5.1? or when i have dts or dd5.1 on my tv sound output is it actually putting out the true dts or dd5.1 or is it doing the upconvert job also?
hope this makes sense to you. i am confused as to whether or not the tv is outputting true dts or is it just doing an upconvert before it gets to my avr?
post #3 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm confused why are you trying to get the sound out of the TV don't you have separate speakers? Normally you would let the AVR do the processing from the source not from the TV. Makes no sense to have an AVR only to output the sound from the TV.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

youer not seeing what i am saying.. i am only talking about netflix which is through my smart hub and streaming from my pc to my tv via serviio .. everything else goes through my avr first. netflix and stream goes to my avr via arc.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

tv is outputting just as it should i was asking what setting i should use? if you cant contribute with a meaningful answer to the question just move on.
what is the purpose of just putting down the way a person types and not contribute to the threat what so ever? does it give you some kind of rush?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 272
ARC only works if both devices are ARC capable. Otherwise, ARC capable inputs work just like any other HDMI input, with the audio being sent in one direction only. The only real advantage of ARC is to eliminate the need to use an optical cable. Typically, tv's don't have the ability to decode because they are basically stereo devices. If you have a SmartTV, the smart apps will output 5.1 if the particular app is designed to do that. Not all smart apps will output 5.1. But to do that, you usually have to use an optical cable from your tv to the avr and choose that input on the avr.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

well that is what i am asking, the netflix (in the apps) and streaming via serviio to my tv all go through the arc channel just fine. on my tv i have the options under menu/sound/spdif to set the arc output to pcm, dts,or dolby digital. if i leave it on pcm then my onkyo avr only shows the source input is pcm 2.0.. but when i select dolby digital or dts the onkyo avr shows just that (dolby digital or dts) according to what the movie was recorded in. the tv will only allow me to select pcm or what the movie was recorded in (dolby digital or dts) if i dont select dolby digital or dts then it defaults to pcm 2.0 out to my avr via the arc channel.

sorry if i am confused over this. just trying to figure out the best sounding way to have the sound output to the avr.

my question is, should i leave the tv on pcm (and the avr only receives pcm 2.0) and let the avr try to upscale it to a dolby format or should i select one of the dolby digital or dts formats on the tv?

(note , i only need to do this when i watching netflix or streaming.. my directv is going directly to the avr and get dd5.1 for most channels.

sorry if this is confusing.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
It's not confusing really, just a matter of what settings you want for what source and when you want to toggle them, if at all. There's no "right" answer....it's your preference.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #9 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 272
+1
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55es7500 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version