Dynex DX-L40-10A Tuner Issue? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Location: NE Meriwether County (halfway between Atlanta & Columbus)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All -

I have a Dynex DX-L40-10A, which I bought in December 2009.

http://www.dynexproducts.com/products/televisions/DX-L40-10A.html

Until a couple of days ago, it's always been hooked up to either Dish Network, or an OTA antenna.
We just moved to a house which has cable, so I hooked it up. This cable provider offers a package which has both Analog & Digital HD channels, and no box is required, if you have a built-in digital tuner. The cable comes straight out of the wall, and into the TV,
I also hooked up two other TVs to the service: A 32" Element combo unit, and a very old Sharp 37". Both of those units work fine, and receive all channels as they should.

The problem with the Dynex unit is that it is not seeing some of the HD channels, and for some of the analog channels, it sees them twice.
The channels it is missing are: 791, 792, 806, 811, 812, 814, 818, & 845. It does see other channels in this range, such as 843 & 844 just fine.
The channels it sees twice are all in the analog range, such as 50, 75, etc.. When going through the channels using the up or down channel arrows, it will show the channel first just by #, such as '50', then right after that, it shows it again, but this time with the station ID, such as '50 TBS'.

I searched the Dynex website, as well as the Internet, and found that on many older Dynex sets, they seemed to have had an issue where people had problems tuning and scanning channels when on cable service, but not using a cable box (exactly like me). The problem is, they offer a firmware update for these other sets, but not for mine.
The text next to each of these states "Fixes issues with tuning and channel scan update for customers subscribing to cable service without a cable box. "
http://www.dynexproducts.com/product-search.html?query=dynex+tv&mode=remotes&pageNumber=11

I contacted Dynex, and they suggested that I unplug the unit, then hold the Power button for 60 seconds, then reconnect & rescan. I did this, and still the same issue.
They stated if that doesn't fix it, it's a bad tuner, and to contact Geek Squad (HA!).

Can someone confirm my suspicion that this is likely a firmware issue, and clue me in on if I can use the available firmware for another unit?
Also, if the tuner goes bad in these things, I thought it didn't work at all, not 'mostly work'. They either do or they don't. Can someone confirm that?

I'm not in a position to get a new TV, and scrap this one, so if all else fails, is there an inexpensive remote external tuner I can use, which will only tune, and not change signal from HD to SD, etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

On a side note, the Sharp was bought new in 2006. $1200 for a 37" at that time, and that was less than half of MSRP as a display! Only issues with it to date are the sound board is shorted, so I run it with a cheap iLive soundbar. I was told this was a common problem with these, as the cabinet insulation eventually contacts the sound board and shorts it.

Anywho, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
why dont you just get a cable box for that tv? you'll probably recieve more channels, get free content VOD access to pay VOD content and a electronic guide. I dont think firmware for another model will work.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page