Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1116 Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

Sorry to hear you're having these problems, but there is definitely some things you can do. First, if you are using the optical output of your consoles, why not just feed the optical audio out from the TV to your amp, then you wont need the sync settings on the amp which could vary based on input source. This won't take care of the amount of lag on the TV though to help in your gaming, for that you need to put the TV in Game mode, make sure both the mode and AV Mode are in Game mode. Also, turn off all processing options in Advanced and Picture Options including TruMotion, noise reduction, etc etc.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your advice. If I feed the optical from TV to the amp i.e XBOX > HDMI > TV > optical > sound system, will there be any signal(quality) loss compared to direct connection i.e XBOX > optical > sound system?

I turned off those features as you suggested and have improved from 200ms to about 180 ms... Is there any webpage describes each mode? say game mode is XX brightness, XX contrast, XX gamma etc. Very disappointed at LG not providing the details of the modes.

EDIT: nvm, upon further viewing i still need to sync at around 200ms. This input lag is driving me nuts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1116 Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroni505 View Post

Thanks for your advice. If I feed the optical from TV to the amp i.e XBOX > HDMI > TV > optical > sound system, will there be any signal(quality) loss compared to direct connection i.e XBOX > optical > sound system?
I turned off those features as you suggested and have improved from 200ms to about 180 ms... Is there any webpage describes each mode? say game mode is XX brightness, XX contrast, XX gamma etc. Very disappointed at LG not providing the details of the modes.

EDIT: nvm, upon further viewing i still need to sync at around 200ms. This input lag is driving me nuts.

That sounds very high, I measured it at about 66ms so you must be doing something wrong. Game Mode doesn't mean a certain brightness, contrast, etc...you can change those settings after going into Game mode, they just have certain defaults that LG pre-decided for you. The brightness, contrast, gamma, and color settings don't make a difference on lag, set them to whatever you wish. Just make sure the Picture Mode is set to Game as well as the AV Mode. Go to the Smart TV screen, then select Quick Menu from the bottom apps list. From there set Picture Mode to Game, and AV Mode to Game also. Then, go into the Picture Settings and scroll down and select Picture Options. Turn OFF: TruMotion, Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction, Motion Eye Care, Real Cinema. Now check your lag again.

As for the optical output, I think it is just taking the digital info as it is and passing it out the optical port, so there should be no loss in quality except that it is limited I believe to 5.1 channels, so newer encodings like DTS Master Audio etc may not be passed through properly (you cannot pass those through a toslink connection anyway, so connecting directly from console to your A/V receiver via toslink wont help you in that regard anyway). I am not certain that it will pass full 5.1, try it with a DTS encoded Blu-ray/DVD and see if you get all the channels, I think it should...
post #273 of 1116 Old 02-21-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:

Do you know what does renaming do? Is "PC" better than "GAME" input name? I searched for the specifics about each name/mode but I am very disappointed at LG failing to provide the details of each mode. I turned off several features and set the name to PC and the lag has improved from 200ms delay to about 180ms. Still, it is very bad I know. Even the features I turned off LG doesn't say what it does in detail so I don't know what kind of feature I'm missing. LG needs to include the detailed explanation of each feature or mode, at least in the owner's manual for christ's sake...

I tried the rename to PC and for me I measured no difference at all.
post #274 of 1116 Old 02-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Liked: 16
LG stepped it up ... I tried the internet before and I was never able to watch tv and surf the web before at the same damn time ... Maybe this came from one of the updates? Makes me want to actually use there web browser ..
post #275 of 1116 Old 02-21-2014, 11:59 AM

Sony 850B is starting to ship 3-13-14 so the 950b isn't that far away .... Man maybe I can hold out another month before swapping out .... Even sony I'm disappointed in because they chose to go active 3d instead of passive 3d smdh but hey at least the 950b is gonna be full array !!!! I hope they roll it out with in the next month
post #276 of 1116 Old 02-21-2014, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Do you know what does renaming do? Is "PC" better than "GAME" input name? I searched for the specifics about each name/mode but I am very disappointed at LG failing to provide the details of each mode. I turned off several features and set the name to PC and the lag has improved from 200ms delay to about 180ms. Still, it is very bad I know. Even the features I turned off LG doesn't say what it does in detail so I don't know what kind of feature I'm missing. LG needs to include the detailed explanation of each feature or mode, at least in the owner's manual for christ's sake...

To get the less input lag possible, you should disable the sound from the speakers of the tv, setting it to external device PCM, this will save sound processing and some lag, connect directly to the tv and you should rename the input to PC, and set the image processing to "game" mode, if you rename the input to PC and leave processing mode to "expert" or "cinema" for example, the lag will be a lot more than setting the tv to "game" mode.

If you name the input to "PC" the tv removes the bilinear filtering that applies to the image if you have named the input to GAME or something else like BLURAY, so the processing is a little faster and the input lag is a little less, you can test this with a pc, if you have the input named PC, the text will be clearer and sharper @ 1080p than in the input named GAME, I have a Sony CRT to measure the input lag, and with all this tweaks I got a 100ms input lag with a input named PC, and game mode, and 112ms, with input named GAME, and game mode.

You can also disable local dimming to speed up things a little bit, what a joke.
post #277 of 1116 Old 02-21-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyNCarbinex View Post

LG stepped it up ... I tried the internet before and I was never able to watch tv and surf the web before at the same damn time ... Maybe this came from one of the updates? Makes me want to actually use there web browser ..

I'm pretty sure this worked in the last firmware, whenever I went to the browser it kept a little window open with the HDMI input still playing. I can't find anything new in the new update, although I haven't dug that much.
post #278 of 1116 Old 02-21-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeslu View Post

To get the less input lag possible, you should disable the sound from the speakers of the tv, setting it to external device PCM, this will save sound processing and some lag, connect directly to the tv and you should rename the input to PC, and set the image processing to "game" mode, if you rename the input to PC and leave processing mode to "expert" or "cinema" for example, the lag will be a lot more than setting the tv to "game" mode.

If you name the input to "PC" the tv removes the bilinear filtering that applies to the image if you have named the input to GAME or something else like BLURAY, so the processing is a little faster and the input lag is a little less, you can test this with a pc, if you have the input named PC, the text will be clearer and sharper @ 1080p than in the input named GAME, I have a Sony CRT to measure the input lag, and with all this tweaks I got a 100ms input lag with a input named PC, and game mode, and 112ms, with input named GAME, and game mode.

You can also disable local dimming to speed up things a little bit, what a joke.

Sorry to say it but u can measure about 100ms wit going to quick menu and setting AV TO GAME MODE this will them
Force picture mode into game mode automatically ... Just a little FYI
post #279 of 1116 Old 02-22-2014, 04:19 AM

just a little update, i renamed the input to "PC", changed it to game mode in both picture option and av option, and turned off most if not all image processing. So far it seems the sound is calibrated.

Now to the panel...Maybe LG tried to do so much on their setting I just cant find the best setting yet. If I do this it's too bright, if i do that it's too dark etc. Will continue to play around with the setting and try to find the sweetspot.

I just wished a top-end TV like this can just be used right out of the box without doing anything to it just like my old TV.

post #280 of 1116 Old 02-22-2014, 08:29 AM

That's a wish we all been .... Unfortunately it noticed that expert modes got the best noise reduction... U can always go to (white balance) in the expert setting and change temperature of color IE cool , warm 1 , warm 2... Do you view your tv in a environment with a lot of light ? These are questions u need to ask yourself ... Every tv has to be calibrated to the users taste ... And of course there is a day setting and a night setting usually you will want to calibrate (2 )picture modes because of this reason ... I'm a hard gamer and because this panel has so much technology that's why the lagg is horrible ... Local dimming edge enhancer basically everything to make the picture as crisp as possible uses processor power which in return creates lagg it's just how it is when u get these expensive uhd led LCD... It's crazy but what can we do ...that's another reason less expensive TV's don't have bad lagg because they have little to no technology that processes picture quality
post #281 of 1116 Old 02-22-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Sorry to say it but u can measure about 100ms wit going to quick menu and setting AV TO GAME MODE this will them
Force picture mode into game mode automatically ... Just a little FYI

I got a little bit more of 100ms of lag with just setting av to game mode without renaming the input, I think that the tv software is very buggy, when I played games at UHD exiting the game and getting back to 1080p, some times the lag increased from 100ms to 200ms or more for about 1 minute, like the tv was working very hard to going from UHD to 1080p, I measured it because sometimes I felt the mouse very very floaty, more than before.
post #282 of 1116 Old 02-22-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeslu View Post

I got a little bit more of 100ms of lag with just setting av to game mode without renaming the input, I think that the tv software is very buggy, when I played games at UHD exiting the game and getting back to 1080p, some times the lag increased from 100ms to 200ms or more for about 1 minute, like the tv was working very hard to going from UHD to 1080p, I measured it because sometimes I felt the mouse very very floaty, more than before.

i totally agree. This TV is very inconsistent on the processing so sometimes its ok and sometimes it will lag(or should I say most of the time). As I stated in the earlier post I thought the sound synced for a moment but it didn't.

Another thing that frustrates me is that it doesn't save my picture setting, so basically I have to check every time I start my TV if the setting is right. For some odd reason the setting is changed and I have to change it back.

post #283 of 1116 Old 02-23-2014, 01:28 PM

LA9700 Callbration

My calibration settings with the AVSHD 709 for whatever they worth. These are low light room settings trying to improve black levels and reduce the hallo effect. Bold means changed from default Expert 1 calibrated for 1080p and Expert 2 calibrated for 4K. These settings may change with time as I experiment more with the set.

Expert 1 (For 1080p)Backlight : 60 (3D 80)
Contrast : 80
Brightness : 55
H Sharpness : 15
V Sharpness : 15
Color : 51
Tint : G4
Expert Control
--Dynamic Contrast : Off
--Super Resolution : Off
--Color Gamut : Wide
--Edge Enhancer : Off
--Color Filter : Off
--Gamma : 2.2
--White Balance
----Color Temperature : Warm1
----Method : 2 Points
----Pattern : Outer
----Red : 0
----Green : 0
----Blue : 0
--Color Management System
----Color : Red
----Saturation : 0
----Tint : 0
----Luminance : 0
Picture Options
--Black Level : Low
--LED Local Dimming : Low

=================================

Expert 2 (For 4K)Backlight : 60
Contrast : 74
Brightness : 67
H Sharpness : 15
V Sharpness : 15
Color : 51
Tint : G4
Expert Control
--Dynamic Contrast : Off
--Super Resolution : Off
--Color Gamut : Wide
--Edge Enhancer : Off
--Color Filter : Off
--Gamma : 2.2
--White Balance
----Color Temperature : Warm1
----Method : 2 Points
----Pattern : Outer
----Red : 0
----Green : 0
----Blue : 0
--Color Management System
----Color : Red
----Saturation : 0
----Tint : 0
----Luminance : 0
Picture Options
--Black Level : Low
--LED Local Dimming : Low

Last edited by attractor; Yesterday at 10:08 PM. Reason: Updated callibration settings
post #284 of 1116 Old 02-24-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:

i totally agree. This TV is very inconsistent on the processing so sometimes its ok and sometimes it will lag(or should I say most of the time). As I stated in the earlier post I thought the sound synced for a moment but it didn't.
Another thing that frustrates me is that it doesn't save my picture setting, so basically I have to check every time I start my TV if the setting is right. For some odd reason the setting is changed and I have to change it back.

That's doesn't happen to me at all ....my tv remembers the settings I never have to enter them again even after a update they are still saves you may want to get that checked out ...
post #285 of 1116 Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 PM

The TV will not keep the same setting for the same input if the configuration has changed. When I change resolution on my media PC or when I go to 3D mode different settings will apply. This makes sense since I noticed that my black level settings for 4k resolution were slightly off so I needed to recalibrate. However the settings are stored correctly for the same configuration. It would be nice if the TV could give an indication of when configuration is changing each time. This TV gets too smart sometimes so it confuses the user.
post #286 of 1116 Old 02-25-2014, 12:25 AM

I can also concur that if you set your speakers to external input (optical/hdmi) the lagg is further decreased ... It completely eliminates all sound processing which in return frees up memory and CPU /GPU..
post #287 of 1116 Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attractor View Post

The TV will not keep the same setting for the same input if the configuration has changed. When I change resolution on my media PC or when I go to 3D mode different settings will apply. This makes sense since I noticed that my black level settings for 4k resolution were slightly off so I needed to recalibrate. However the settings are stored correctly for the same configuration. It would be nice if the TV could give an indication of when configuration is changing each time. This TV gets too smart sometimes so it confuses the user.

yes, i'm still configuring whats the best picture setting for EACH and EVERY mode... what a tedious "smart" TV...

I would really prefer a TV that does exactly what its meant to do, instead of adding internet TV or apps or any extra things I don't and won't use anyway.

post #288 of 1116 Old 02-25-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:

I can also concur that if you set your speakers to external input (optical/hdmi) the lagg is further decreased ... It completely eliminates all sound processing which in return frees up memory and CPU /GPU..

yea, another example where the processor is not good enough to compliment the 4K panel. It's really too bad that this is the only thing that is bottle-necking this model.

post #289 of 1116 Old 02-27-2014, 01:21 AM

I really don't think that's the case the tv by no means struggles on the user interface or when loading apps .. My friend has a samsung and it's a TAD bit more responsive .. Again if you don't use all the smart tv functions then what's the point of buying it ... If your anything like me your brought it because it was Full array instead of edge lit or u got money to blow !! in any case the tv is tedious for As reason ... I mean you can calibrate to your liking and let's be honest those of us who are videophiles will calibrate any TV we get it's just our nature to get the best possible results ... And everyone has there own preference... My setting may not look good enough for you and vice versa ... So having options are always a beautiful thing ... I would be worried when these manufactures stop giving us all these calibrations options ... Depending on the model u have u spend anywhere from 3-4,500 IF your got a deal ... What's 200 for a professional calibrator to come and do the work for you ?? That's should be a easy choice .... But I did notice one thing the update did add on and it's a new aspect ratio
Cinema zoom was never there and to tell the truth I think it works like a charm to get rid of those pesky black bars on the bottom and top ... When viewing IE blue rays .... Good job LG
post #290 of 1116 Old 03-04-2014, 10:59 AM

Has anyone else noticed after the latest update that 3D World has been completely gutted? It only has about 6 titles now and the UI is completely different (used to be 3D UI with plenty of titles). I also got a notification that Gravity 3D is available in 3D World for 50% off but Gravity is nowhere to be found in 3D World, only things I see is some 3 little pigs and a couple of episodes of the Last Reef. Others seeing the same thing?
post #291 of 1116 Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 PM

Yes. Most 3d content is gone. I hope its temporary.
post #292 of 1116 Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I purchased the 55LA9650 on Monday, the cheaper 4k model from LG. While cleaning the screen today i noticed that the right top side of the screen the frame and the screen are not completely together I know that the LA9700 its a different panel but was looking for some advice before i return it.

Emmat2011
post #293 of 1116 Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:

Has anyone else noticed after the latest update that 3D World has been completely gutted? It only has about 6 titles now and the UI is completely different (used to be 3D UI with plenty of titles). I also got a notification that Gravity 3D is available in 3D World for 50% off but Gravity is nowhere to be found in 3D World, only things I see is some 3 little pigs and a couple of episodes of the Last Reef. Others seeing the same thing?

Yes I to have gotten the email saying they are scrapping it all together ....quick update I had to call LG the pAnel had defects in it yet again this time it was like the screen was peeling off the panel behind the glAss I uploaded some pics of the areas look carefully.. So cut to the chase real quick I called LG executive sales department the made a claim to the defectetive return department ... It took them 3 days to approve it so now fedex has to come get the WHOLE TV and they are gonna cut me a check instead .... May have to hold out on the Vizio R series or sony xbr 950B since they are right around the corner ... Can't count LG neither ...even though I should I can honestly say it's been a carefree dealing with them the woman was even nice enough to communicate through email to expedite the claim ... There customer service is the reason why I would consider them .. I know my way around alrdy and it was a seamless transition on both occasions when it came to getting my Unit serviced...and now there doing a full refund ... That being said I will also take a look at LG 4k OLED coming out this year!
I uploaded 2 pics of defects there are 4 spots total like that around the screen where the glass meets the bezel

post #294 of 1116 Old 03-05-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmat2011 View Post

I purchased the 55LA9650 on Monday, the cheaper 4k model from LG. While cleaning the screen today i noticed that the right top side of the screen the frame and the screen are not completely together I know that the LA9700 its a different panel but was looking for some advice before i return it.

That is pretty ironic we have the same problem on two different models even though my panel was just replaced so it could have been a factory defect .. My first 659700 never had the problem the screen was seamless ... That's a defective unit no doubt about THAT!!
post #295 of 1116 Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:

That is pretty ironic we have the same problem on two different models even though my panel was just replaced so it could have been a factory defect .. My first 659700 never had the problem the screen was seamless ... That's a defective unit no doubt about THAT!!
I got the unit directly from the distributor, I'll be returning it but not sure if I want the same one. MoneyNCarbinex, are you happy with your LA9700? How are the black levels?

Emmat2011
post #296 of 1116 Old 03-06-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:

I got the unit directly from the distributor, I'll be returning it but not sure if I want the same one. MoneyNCarbinex, are you happy with your LA9700? How are the black levels?

Black levels are very good .. (Fact) Actually LG has the best black levels throughout all the 4k tv to date ... If you have to buy a tv now I would strongly recommend it even after all I been through I would do it all over again .. But I'm gonna wait to see what the LG 79ub9800 packs under the hood ... This year it's gonna be full array 4k TV's everywhere ... Sony x950b / Vizio reference series/ hell even toshiba may come out with a full array model
So because things turned out the way they did I'll wait to see what the new line up is gonna look like but i will dearly miss the 9700 the sliding speaker is so sexy especially when it's mounted ... No other tv manufacture has done this a lot of wow I factor ... I'm even tempted to buy it again all jokes aside ... Once i see a empty space where the 65 use to be I may get desperate ... If I can find a 9700 for 4-5 grand I will certainly pull the trigger no doubt about it .... After all I paid 7+ for it after taxes..
post #297 of 1116 Old 03-06-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:

Do me a favor since u have the program to measure the lagg try turning off led dimming and go to input and switch the speaker to external hdmi and measure the lagg I'm getting 20/17 KDR on call on duty but when I tuned the speaker off completely eliminating sound processing all together I felt the boost in speed I just 35/7 ratio and it felt so smooth I'm just wondering what the lagg will measure thanks
post #298 of 1116 Old 03-07-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Black levels are very good .. (Fact) Actually LG has the best black levels throughout all the 4k tv to date ... If you have to buy a tv now I would strongly recommend it even after all I been through I would do it all over again .. But I'm gonna wait to see what the LG 79ub9800 packs under the hood ... This year it's gonna be full array 4k TV's everywhere ... Sony x950b / Vizio reference series/ hell even toshiba may come out with a full array model
So because things turned out the way they did I'll wait to see what the new line up is gonna look like but i will dearly miss the 9700 the sliding speaker is so sexy especially when it's mounted ... No other tv manufacture has done this a lot of wow I factor ... I'm even tempted to buy it again all jokes aside ... Once i see a empty space where the 65 use to be I may get desperate ... If I can find a 9700 for 4-5 grand I will certainly pull the trigger no doubt about it .... After all I paid 7+ for it after taxes..
Wow its what I want, one thing I noticed on the 9650 is that sometimes in dark scenes the picture would look spectacular and at times the blacks would look grainy and the picture would loose detail. I have the display in a well lit room, apparently it looks better during the day. I turned off local dimming because it was really annoying and didn't see the advantage of having it on. I know the 9700 has a full array LED screen, can you guys explained your experiences when having it on?

Emmat2011
post #299 of 1116 Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:

You have to ask yourself if you want the same model again since you did have some experience on it. The fact that there exist sound processing lag issues, and now apparently there are defected panels, and poor LG customer service(yes i did contact them, and no I did not get a satisfactory answer) made me decide not to purchase any more LG products.

To this date I'm still configuring what is the best picture option. Imo it is not user-friendly.

What is the best way to reduce blooming? When it's totally black screen and say some white stuff comes on there are glowing halos around it.

post #300 of 1116 Old 03-07-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Do me a favor since u have the program to measure the lagg try turning off led dimming and go to input and switch the speaker to external hdmi and measure the lagg I'm getting 20/17 KDR on call on duty but when I tuned the speaker off completely eliminating sound processing all together I felt the boost in speed I just 35/7 ratio and it felt so smooth I'm just wondering what the lagg will measure thanks

All my tests that I have posted here were done with the audio set to External, since I use a separate Denon AVR and 5.1 speakers for my audio.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 65la9700 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Smart Led Tv , Lg Electronics 55la9700 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Smart Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page