post #451 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

Yeah, my scrambled brain was mixing some things up, not considering the internal Netflix app. So, you believe all that is needed is updating of the app. My reading of the owner's manual is that HEVC is only supported via USB. Here's the 9650 manual specs. The 9700 section is identical. I understand the HDMI 2 update is for 60Hz and would have no effect on playback via USB or DLNA. So, even though I may be mixing some things up, I was thinking there is a bigger problem than the Netflix app. Why won't it play 4K via DLNA? Straighten me out.

If indeed there is a hardware HEVC decoder in this TV it should be possible to update the firmware/apps on it to play content via Netflix or any other app...USB is just an interface, the software is responsible for accessing the HEVC decoder and using it where it wants...this is definitely a software limitation...but as I said, I haven't seen any working HEVC via USB either, so I have my doubts about it...if anyone manages to play any HEVC (even non-4k) via USB please let us know...

As for 4k via DLNA, I can only guess as to why it doesn't work, but I would think it is because either (1) they just didn't bother to implement it - don't forget, this software already exists for their 1080p sets, so supporting 4k is extra work. OR (2) I have tried to stream a bluray 1080p file via DLNA in the past and there is lag/freezing here and there, my guess is DLNA is not the most efficient way to stream content and 4k might just be too much. The fact that still photos from my DSLR take several seconds to load via DLNA on this TV supports this theory. Again, these are just guesses though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyNCarbinex View Post

Yeah the tv won't do 60hz as it's not capable of doing this .. It is a hardware block ... The USB and the h.265 codec is limited at 30hz

I know this is probably what you meant but just clarifying so others don't get the wrong impression: the H.265 codec is definitely NOT limited to 30Hz, but the implementation on this TV currently is. As for USB, it is just an interface, it has nothing to do with playing anything...the media player software on the TV determines what types of files will be supported for playback.
post #453 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathis Phill View Post

You'll be happy to know I got the Big bunny video to work at 30fps as recommended but no sound? It's a step closer. Still loving this telly although like a few on I am frustrated that the full potential of the set isn't being met by current content or support.

Yeah I got no sound either, looks like bbb has two audio streams, an MP3 and an AC3, it probably is picking up the AC3 and doesn't support that and isn't smart enough to pick the one it does support...you can try removing the AC3 stream fro the file and see if it plays then...as I said earlier I can't try right now, TV room is off bounds for me for a couple of days.
post #454 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Yeah the tv won't do 60hz as it's not capable of doing this .. It is a hardware block ... The USB and the h.265 codec is limited at 30hz
I don't know if it's hardware and/or software that is limiting the 9700 (and 9650) 4K playback to 30Hz. The HDMI 2.0 upgrade would only affect content being delivered via HDMI. Since the TV is said to have H.265 support, which means to me that it has a decoder chip (hardware) installed. I don't think they could be doing H.265 purely with software, but I just don't know. This TV was such an early release, hardly 6 months after the first H.265 decoder chip was announced, I'm suspicious it may not support the higher levels of the H.265 spec, such as 60Hz (above H.265 level 5). So, maybe there will be no 60 Hz without a decoder chip/board upgrade. In the meantime I don't understand if the lack of Netflix 4K streaming support (and the lack of DLNA 4K support) is simply a Netflix app issue or more involved with hardware. The only 2013 4K TV currently supporting Netflix 4K streaming is the Samsung F9000, and even after reading most of the F9000 thread, it isn't clear whether that requires a hardware upgrade (the Samsung Connect box for 2014) - Katzmaier says it does [CONFIRMED AS CORRECT]. Note that the F9000 also has a quad core processor and the higher levels of H.265 need a lot of CPU support. That may be another hardware issue for the LG 9700 and 9650 in terms of limited support for 4K streaming.
post #455 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzkunited View Post

Hi can someone please help me.

I purchased yesterday a  65 inch LA9700 and am in love. However today in the morning when i downloaded 4k content via youtube and played it directly via the usb in the tv. there is a lip sync issue it starts in sync and then goes out of sync few seconds later. the usb used has 2.0 tech. will 3.0 usb  make a diff.?  The same video when played on pc has no lip sync issues. Other than this i am very much happy with the TV. But it would suck if i cant play 4k content properly Via USB which LG boasts about.

The AV sync adj was turned on as well. Moreover when i play  a normal 1080 HD movie via the same usb there is no lip sync. Only when i play 4k content the problem arises.

The manual does say playback of video files stored on a USB device that does not support High Speed may not work properly. I assume you are playing through the TV speakers and not external correct?
post #456 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathis Phill View Post

I would try 3.0 - it has a faster read/write speed so maybe able to handle the 4K better. My issue with USB is the limited file size you can transfer (under 5GB) to Fat32...anyone got a solution for this (P.S. I use mac).

Have you tried NTFS? Mac sort of has support for this, it works by default as read only but you can enable writing as well:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/02/enable-ntfs-write-support-mac-os-x/

Another option to try is ExFAT (you can format and read/write ExFAT on Mac). Let us know if either work on the TV.
post #457 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't know if it's hardware and/or software that is limiting the 9700 (and 9650) 4K playback to 30Hz. The HDMI 2.0 upgrade would only affect content being delivered via HDMI. Since the TV is said to have H.265 support, which means to me that it has a decoder chip (hardware) installed. I don't think they could be doing H.265 purely with software, but I just don't know. This TV was such an early release, hardly 6 months after the first H.265 decoder chip was announced, I'm suspicious it may not support the higher levels of the H.265 spec, such as 60Hz (above H.265 level 5). So, maybe there will be no 60 Hz without a decoder chip/board upgrade. In the meantime I don't understand if the lack of Netflix 4K streaming support (and the lack of DLNA 4K support) is simply a Netflix app issue or more involved with hardware. The only 2013 4K TV currently supporting Netflix 4K streaming is the Samsung F9000, and even after rading most of the F900 thread, it isn't clear whether that requires a hardware upgrade (the Samsung Connect box for 2014) - Katzmaier says it does. Note that the F9000 also has a quad core processor and thr higher levels of H.265 need a lot of CPU support. That may be another hardware issue for the LG 9700 and 9650 in terms of limited support for 4K streaming.

Absolutely there could be...as I stated earlier, I am not convinced of the full HEVC support on this set, or limited support for that matter...since nobody has seen any HEVC play on it yet. My manual doesn't claim it supports it (but some people's do), and the website features don't list it for North American models, but the LG India website does, see this page about a third of the way down:

http://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-55LA9700

I'm not too concerned with HEVC support though, there will be a ton of media boxes/streamers coming out over the next year that will all support it, and as long as they give us the promised HDMI 2.0 support we should be all set for 60Hz content also. If Netflix updates their PC/mac playback to support HEVC and 4k, we can do Netflix 4k today as well. I'm sure they will eventually...
post #458 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

USB 2.0 is High Speed. I've used USB 2.0 sticks to play 4K files on the LG 9700, but I haven't played any files that have dialogue to determine if there are lip sync issues.
post #459 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

USB 2.0 is High Speed. I've used USB 2.0 sticks to play 4K files on the LG 9700, but I haven't played any files that have dialogue to determine if there are lip sync issues.

Actually, come to think of it, neither have I...it's always some timelapse or nature video or demo 4k with just music playing in the background...
post #460 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes the USB I used is actually taken from lg showroom showing nature and landscape with music background all 4k content.But when I downloaded 4k movie trailer from YouTube and played it directly from TV USB slot its out of sync in dialogies. No external speakers only TV speakers.. Can some one check on their sets if its a universal defect .
post #461 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

Absolutely there could be...as I stated earlier, I am not convinced of the full HEVC support on this set, or limited support for that matter...since nobody has seen any HEVC play on it yet. My manual doesn't claim it supports it (but some people's do), and the website features don't list it for North American models, but the LG India website does, see this page about a third of the way down:

http://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-55LA9700

I'm not too concerned with HEVC support though, there will be a ton of media boxes/streamers coming out over the next year that will all support it, and as long as they give us the promised HDMI 2.0 support we should be all set for 60Hz content also. If Netflix updates their PC/mac playback to support HEVC and 4k, we can do Netflix 4k today as well. I'm sure they will eventually...
OK, I understand that if we use an external media box, like an HTPC that can put 4K out via HDMI (available now) with Netflix PC app support, the internal HEVC support is irrelevant. I suppose another option is PC media server software that could do the decoding so 4K files could be streamed via DLNA. I currently use Mezzmo which does a very nice job of transcoding and serving my videos to my various video devices, allowing perfect playback of files in formats not supported by any particular device. It uses profiles specific to each video output device you have connected and is seamless.

Oh, another requirement for Netflix 4K streaming is HDCP 2.2

So, it looks like the only way to play Netflix 4K now is with a 2014 Samsung HU8550 or HU9000.
post #462 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh, another requirement for Netflix 4K streaming is HDCP 2.2

For an external Netflix device yes, that may be a dealbreaker problem for us...and unfortunately we are stuck at HDCP 1.4. Dunno if LG has plans to provide us with an update, but I do know the Sony 1st gen sets needed a hardware upgrade that Sony did for HDCP 2.2.

Maybe someone can email their Vice President of Public Affairs and Communications, I did about HDMI 2.0 last time and he replied pretty much right away.
post #463 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 12:45 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Hi can someone please help me.

I purchased yesterday a  65 inch LA9700 and am in love. However today in the morning when i downloaded 4k content via youtube and played it directly via the usb in the tv. there is a lip sync issue it starts in sync and then goes out of sync few seconds later. the usb used has 2.0 tech. will 3.0 usb  make a diff.?  The same video when played on pc has no lip sync issues. Other than this i am very much happy with the TV. But it would suck if i cant play 4k content properly Via USB which LG boasts about.

The AV sync adj was turned on as well. Moreover when i play  a normal 1080 HD movie via the same usb there is no lip sync. Only when i play 4k content the problem arises.

Help would be appreciated.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner through private messGe .. But I really think it's just the 4k video you are trying ... I would say to try another 4k video to see of it does the same thing ... If not then it's clear it's the video ... The fact that it's only happening when streaming 4k kinda let's me think it's the video ... Try another video with voice ...
post #464 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 12:52 PM

I tried 2 videos both showed sync issues . it ain't the video. Its either the USB 2.0 or the TV.
post #465 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 12:56 PM

Because this tv came out before hdmi 2.0 was available ... We all lost out ... The new models will have the H.265 codec capable of handling 30fps and 60fps ... To tell you the truth I can't see any conceivable route to a upgrade at this point .... Software would make sense but a hardware upgrade would make more sense .... Most of these problems me and a few other owners have mentioned in earlier post ..... This tv is still
Capable of streaming 4k content through the controversial h.265 codec it's just limited to 30fps .... From what I understood was that you needed the new netflix application to stream at 4k I don't know how true this is because some are watching house of cards in what seems to be UHD but can't confirm resolution through current version of Netflix ..I'm sure we will get the new program once Lg updates the firmware .... All sets have issues and this one main problem was the lack of support for hdmi 2.0 I mean we were promised a upgrade and still have herd nothing ... I don't know what LG intentions are at this point ...
post #466 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:

I tried 2 videos both showed sync issues . it ain't the video. Its either the USB 2.0 or the TV.

I just find it funny your only getting these issues through UHD... Try downloading a 1080p video via USB and playback to see what happens
post #467 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For an external Netflix device yes, that may be a dealbreaker problem for us...and unfortunately we are stuck at HDCP 1.4. Dunno if LG has plans to provide us with an update, but I do know the Sony 1st gen sets needed a hardware upgrade that Sony did for HDCP 2.2.

Maybe someone can email their Vice President of Public Affairs and Communications, I did about HDMI 2.0 last time and he replied pretty much right away.
OK, I sent Mr. Taylor an email focusing on Netflix 4K and what he could tell us about the upgrade path in light of Samsung's announced and nearly launched upgrade for it's 2013 F9000. If he replies, I will share that and my email to him.

EDIT: Got an out of office reply with alternative contacts, probably his assistants. I'd rather not try to get info out of them. We'll see.
post #468 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From what I understood was that you needed the new netflix application to stream at 4k I don't know how true this is because some are watching house of cards in what seems to be UHD but can't confirm resolution through current version of Netflix

Although it looks impressively detailed, I don't think we are seeing 4k on HOC in the Netflix app, I think we are seeing a 4k source being sent as 1080p, although yes, we don't have any way to definitively see what resolution/bitstream it is playing at...I would think if they added the info display to the Sony version they will add it to ours soon as well.
post #469 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11

He's at NAB. You won't hear back until next week most likely...

post #470 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would recommend downloading and watching Tears of Steel. Is an open source 4K short.

http://www.tearsofsteel.org/
http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/graphics/blender/demo/movies/ToS/

I have played it on me Media PC at UHD resolution and looks amazing. I am not sure if it will play through USB but can be transcoded if necessary.

I have noticed lipsync issue when sending audio to an external receiver but not to the TV speakers. However it can be fixed by tweaking the PowerDVD (or blu-ray player/receiver if it has them) audio delay settings. Audio is ahead of its time due to video processing by the panel. There are specific patterns to calibrate lipsync.
post #471 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 04:03 PM

I will now test tomorrow the video via USB 3 to see if uhd content lip syncs or not. But so far all 4k videos downloaded and played via usb 2 show lip sync issue. Same USB with 1080 hd no lip sync problem.
post #472 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

So I noticed on the Sony thread a couple of folks have chatted with Sony tech support to see if they will get an update for HEVC and Netflix 4k streaming. I know tech support responses are usually not trusted sources for good information but I thought it would be interesting to see what the LG folks had to say...here is the transcript of my chat session (with only minor editing on my messages). He went away between a few responses for quite a long time, like over 10 minutes...I guess he was chatting with engineers? who knows...

LG: Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
Me: Hello. I have a quick question regarding the LA9700 series. Will these sets ever be compatible with netflix 4k streaming?
LG: I would be happy to help you with that.
LG: I would like to please place you on a brief hold while I research that for you, will that be alright?

Me: ok
LG: Thank you for your patience while I researched that for you.
LG: yes they will be compatible with 4k

Me: ok great, thanks. Any idea when this update will occur?
LG: one moment
LG: the model that will be compatible will star from 65" an up
LG: like 65ub9500
LG: 65ub9800
LG: 65ec9700

Me: I know the new models coming out later will be compatible. I am wondering about the current models on sale now -- the 55LA9700 and the 65LA9700
LG: no
LG: cause the tv has to have 2160p resolution an only the new tv coming up with that

Me: um, no, both of these models have 2160p resolution
Me: theyr are both Ultra HD tv's
Me: but what is not clear is if they have HEVC support. The manual touches on it slightly but had no details...it claims it supports it via USB but I cant get it to work. If it does have HEVC, then theoretically the Netflix app can be updated to support 4k streaming...thats what i want to know
LG: i was advice by engineers that it will not work or if will work they will not release that info .but it makes since that if netflix will run at 4k the resolution of tv has to be hire , an the resolution cant be adjusted on our tv they come from manufacture
Me: im not sure I follow, Netflix is streaming content at 3840x2160 using the HEVC codec. Both of these TV's native resolution is 3840x2160, so where is the problem?
LG: ok sorry i missed something i will be back shortly
LG: thanks for holding
LG: yes the 55la9700 an 65la9700 could in the future with software update working with 4k streaming
LG: but the 2014 model i mentioned will have that automatically

Me: well I already own a current model so would like to know if it will ever work...
LG: yes yours will be compatible in the future with an update
Me: ok...all the other big manufacturers (Samsung and Sony) have either already updated to support HDMI 2.0 and HEVC or have promised an update for their 2013 4k TVs, LG has been very quiet on this so I was wondering what the stance is
LG: yes we will have that update in the future for tv that have 4k like yours
Me: ok. any idea approximately when? this month? this summer? next year?
LG: i know is not posted yet but it will be since netflix not streaming in 4k yet
Me: Yes they are, they started streaming in 4k a few days ago.
LG: if netflix is already i was not aware will need to research that with engineers to find out when that update will be available can i have your # to call back tomorrow
Me: ok no problem. It is xxx-xxx-xxxx or you can email me at xxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
LG: thanks
LG: I am sorry for the inconvenience i have cause you.
LG: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Me: ok, no problem, thanks for your help, look forward to hearing more info.
Me: no thats all.
Me: thanks, bye
LG: Thank you for your time and patience. It has been a pleasure to assist you today. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for choosing LG Electronics. We appreciate your business. Have a great day!
post #473 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Well the fact that 1080i had no issues it's sounds like a isolated incident with the 4k video itself ... Maybe it was recorded or downloaded with the lip sync as a pre existing problem
post #474 of 1382 Old 04-09-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:

So I noticed on the Sony thread a couple of folks have chatted with Sony tech support to see if they will get an update for HEVC and Netflix 4k streaming. I know tech support responses are usually not trusted sources for good information but I thought it would be interesting to see what the LG folks had to say...here is the transcript of my chat session (with only minor editing on my messages). He went away between a few responses for quite a long time, like over 10 minutes...I guess he was chatting with engineers? who knows...

LG: Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
Me: Hello. I have a quick question regarding the LA9700 series. Will these sets ever be compatible with netflix 4k streaming?
LG: I would be happy to help you with that.
LG: I would like to please place you on a brief hold while I research that for you, will that be alright?

Me: ok
LG: Thank you for your patience while I researched that for you.
LG: yes they will be compatible with 4k

Me: ok great, thanks. Any idea when this update will occur?
LG: one moment
LG: the model that will be compatible will star from 65" an up
LG: like 65ub9500
LG: 65ub9800
LG: 65ec9700

Me: I know the new models coming out later will be compatible. I am wondering about the current models on sale now -- the 55LA9700 and the 65LA9700
LG: no
LG: cause the tv has to have 2160p resolution an only the new tv coming up with that

Me: um, no, both of these models have 2160p resolution
Me: theyr are both Ultra HD tv's
Me: but what is not clear is if they have HEVC support. The manual touches on it slightly but had no details...it claims it supports it via USB but I cant get it to work. If it does have HEVC, then theoretically the Netflix app can be updated to support 4k streaming...thats what i want to know
LG: i was advice by engineers that it will not work or if will work they will not release that info .but it makes since that if netflix will run at 4k the resolution of tv has to be hire , an the resolution cant be adjusted on our tv they come from manufacture
Me: im not sure I follow, Netflix is streaming content at 3840x2160 using the HEVC codec. Both of these TV's native resolution is 3840x2160, so where is the problem?
LG: ok sorry i missed something i will be back shortly
LG: thanks for holding
LG: yes the 55la9700 an 65la9700 could in the future with software update working with 4k streaming
LG: but the 2014 model i mentioned will have that automatically

Me: well I already own a current model so would like to know if it will ever work...
LG: yes yours will be compatible in the future with an update
Me: ok...all the other big manufacturers (Samsung and Sony) have either already updated to support HDMI 2.0 and HEVC or have promised an update for their 2013 4k TVs, LG has been very quiet on this so I was wondering what the stance is
LG: yes we will have that update in the future for tv that have 4k like yours
Me: ok. any idea approximately when? this month? this summer? next year?
LG: i know is not posted yet but it will be since netflix not streaming in 4k yet
Me: Yes they are, they started streaming in 4k a few days ago.
LG: if netflix is already i was not aware will need to research that with engineers to find out when that update will be available can i have your # to call back tomorrow
Me: ok no problem. It is xxx-xxx-xxxx or you can email me at xxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
LG: thanks
LG: I am sorry for the inconvenience i have cause you.
LG: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Me: ok, no problem, thanks for your help, look forward to hearing more info.
Me: no thats all.
Me: thanks, bye
LG: Thank you for your time and patience. It has been a pleasure to assist you today. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for choosing LG Electronics. We appreciate your business. Have a great day!

I'm really Glad you had that convo no matter how dunce the employee was.... From what he says there will be some kind of update for early adopters like us !!! As for the netflix question I'm pretty sure you need the new netflix application to stream in 4k and since the new implementation requires h.265 ... To stream these large files it will need a new software package as well ..who knows but I would be impressed if there still using h.264 to stream 4k .... From the reviews and the buzz this new codec is the only way to stream 4k.... Guess we will find out when Lg released the new firmware update ..
post #475 of 1382 Old 04-10-2014, 04:00 AM

I just tried the same video via USB 3.0 same problem. LG technician also visited my house. He said this was the first time this issue was reported and maybe in other LG TV sets. however users may have not experienced this as they would not have played dialogue videos in 4k via USB. Well done LG.. Now i am beginning to understand as to why they are dropping prices..

post #476 of 1382 Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm really Glad you had that convo no matter how dunce the employee was.... From what he says there will be some kind of update for early adopters like us !!! ..

I am not sure how good those news are. I do not know if the FW update will be for HEVC or HDMI 2.0 or both. Personally I am not interested in the HEVC decoder acceleration (if it has it). All new GPUs will support that in HW (some also in SW). The important update is HDMI 2.0 60 Hz. Lets not loose focus with Netflix.
post #477 of 1382 Old 04-10-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by attractor View Post

I am not sure how good those news are. I do not know if the FW update will be for HEVC or HDMI 2.0 or both. Personally I am not interested in the HEVC decoder acceleration (if it has it). All new GPUs will support that in HW (some also in SW). The important update is HDMI 2.0 60 Hz. Lets not loose focus with Netflix.
Support for HEVC will be critical to playing 60Hz 4K material unless it is decoded externally. And the upper levels of HEVC that support 60Hz require a lot of processor power. The dual core processor may not have enough horsepower. We need HEVC, HDCP2.2 and HDMI 2.0. It's a good question whether this is physically possible without a hardware change like the Samsung F9000 series accomplished with their external Connect box. Netflix seems to me to be a good first step to understanding if the 9700 is going to cut it with later 4K content. It doesn't require HDMI 2.0 but it requires everything else.
post #478 of 1382 Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just tried the same video via USB 3.0 same problem. LG technician also visited my house. He said this was the first time this issue was reported and maybe in other LG TV sets. however users may have not experienced this as they would not have played dialogue videos in 4k via USB. Well done LG.. Now i am beginning to understand as to why they are dropping prices..
Well, I will have a chance to explore this later today when Fry's delivers a 65LA9650 to me. I've been back there several times to cancel the order and get something else despite the ridiculously low price ($2879 out the door), but I guess I'll roll with it at least as an experiment. It's not the 9700 but rather its edge lit stepchild that has been almost totally ignored. However, it shares all the same hardware and functionality except for the backlight (which is probably going to cause me to return the set - note that NO ONE has ever had one on display locally, not even Fry's where I bought it). There is almost no feedback on the 9650 (one suspect professional review and 5 Amazon customers). So, I plan to remedy that and either generate some interest or put a nail in its coffin. And everything I test but the black levels and contrast ratio should apply to the 9700, so I will post anything relevant here too. I guess I need to create a LA9650 owners thread - there isn't one probably for good reason.
post #479 of 1382 Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I will have a chance to explore this later today when Fry's delivers a 65LA9650 to me. I've been back there several times to cancel the order and get something else despite the ridiculously low price ($2879 out the door), but I guess I'll roll with it at least as an experiment. It's not the 9700 but rather its edge lit stepchild that has been almost totally ignored. However, it shares all the same hardware and functionality except for the backlight (which is probably going to cause me to return the set - note that NO ONE has ever had one on display locally, not even Fry's where I bought it). There is almost no feedback on the 9650 (one suspect professional review and 5 Amazon customers). So, I plan to remedy that and either generate some interest or put a nail in its coffin. And everything I test but the black levels and contrast ratio should apply to the 9700, so I will post anything relevant here too. I guess I need to create a LA9650 owners thread - there isn't one probably for good reason.

I checked out the 9650 in store way back in November. I see you're in the Bay Area...I saw it at Best Buy in Fairfield, they may have cleared it out though by now for room for the new models. It was actually the 9700 that was impossible to find in store, the 9650 I was able to find no problem...I guess that all changed once the prices started dropping and they figured they can move their 9700 inventory. It looked more or less on par with the 9700 in the store, but you can never really get a good idea of black level performance there because it's so bright. I am a bit of a stickler for black level performance though and the 9700 was the only FALD 4k set on the market...I must admit its FALD performance though does pale compared to my several year old FALD Samsung set...the LG Nano LED implementation is just not as good but I think that's how they manage to get the panel super thin.

Well let us know what you think of the set...I assume you are referring to the reviewed.com review of it? Yeah they don't get into too much details...but they do claim it is solid other than black levels. There are a couple of other very brief reviews too.
post #480 of 1382 Old 04-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by attractor View Post

Well it depends what you want to do with the set. For me, HDMI 2.0 is only really useful because I hope to one day watch sporting events in 4k...I have a feeling that day is a long ways off though despite the claims of the World Cup being in 4k, if they even pull that off (to the home I mean, not some demo that you can only see in Japan) it will be a one-off and your typical sporting event that's on several times a week won't see 4k for at least several years. Heck, I watch hockey mostly now and I have to suffer in SD a lot of the time, I'm not holding my breath for 4k hockey anytime soon...and by then I will have an 8K OLED-2 HDMI 5.0 set smile.gif

For others, gaming is important and then HDMI 2.0 is almost a must. Movies are the main reason I have this TV though so for that HDMI 2.0 doesn't really do jack...even when new Blurays come out next year there won't be many titles (if any) available in anything >24Hz...maybe The Hobbit, other than that nada...I'd imagine we will need HDCP 2.2 for new blurays though so I'd like that at some point before new blurays arrive.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'd like HDCP 2.2 support eventually and HDMI 2.0 some day too, but I'll take HEVC and Netflix 4k before HDMI 2.0, it's useful right now, HDMI 2.0...not so much...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 65la9700 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Smart Led Tv , Lg Electronics 55la9700 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Smart Led Tv
Gear in this thread