Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1139 Old 05-22-2014, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyOmega View Post

Just to confirm. The TV doesn't support 4k60 with 420. I tried forcing it with a 50hz formula 1 cable feed but the TV just outputs 25hz

I'm not sure I understand what you tried, when you say forcing it a 50Hz cable feed and it outputs 25Hz, what exactly did you do? You fed it an HDMI input of 4k@50Hz and it showed a picture but said your source input is 25Hz? I would have thought it just wouldn't sync the picture at all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1139 Old 05-22-2014, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

I'm not sure I understand what you tried, when you say forcing it a 50Hz cable feed and it outputs 25Hz, what exactly did you do? You fed it an HDMI input of 4k@50Hz and it showed a picture but said your source input is 25Hz? I would have thought it just wouldn't sync the picture at all..

On the oppo Bluray player (which has a input for the cable box) you can force 4k2k Output to 50/60hz.

I noticed if the output from the cable box was 50/60hz the oppo would only Output to 1080 50hz becuase presumably the TV said no to 4k50 unless like I said you try to force it. But instead of saying no to the picture at all, it just came out at 25hz.

The true source is only 720p or 576p which then goes to the Bluray player for processing then the TV Basiclly.

Even 576 upscales well through the oppo

LG 55LA970W - Oppo 103D - Denon Avr - Kef Q2,5,6 speakers and Rel 150 sub
post #723 of 1139 Old 05-22-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Just got off the phone after a 35 minute convo. He did confirm that the TV isn't supposed to be able to pick up 4k through HEVC over the air ...yet .

He also said due to my area it takes 5 working days for any repair turn around so an engineer can't come out for the day. Despite the fact you can get an engineer in Southampton just down the road 20miles away.

He did confirm that a upgrade was coming for the TV but he wasn't sure when. .

That is all very interesting. I have not had any call back from the UK lady I spoke to (what number did you use to contact him?). Had to ring Selfridges to tell them about my sticking loudspeaker. They won't send an engineer round to sort it out and instead want to swap the TV. Can't be bothered by the hassle especially as am having a knee op on Monday, so took the advice from someone either here or on the UK forum and pulled on the plastic casing which encloses the speaker and it seems to have done the trick.

On the HDMi pass through the answer seems to buy a splitter which takes one input and two outputs! one of which goes to the AV receiver and the other to the second HDMI input on the TV. Richer Sounds provided the answer and will send me a splitter which they are buying from Amazon because they sold me the Sony AV receiver - annoying that they lowered the price by £50 today!
post #724 of 1139 Old 05-22-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:

On the oppo Bluray player (which has a input for the cable box) you can force 4k2k Output to 50/60hz.

I noticed if the output from the cable box was 50/60hz the oppo would only Output to 1080 50hz becuase presumably the TV said no to 4k50 unless like I said you try to force it. But instead of saying no to the picture at all, it just came out at 25hz.

The true source is only 720p or 576p which then goes to the Bluray player for processing then the TV Basiclly.

Even 576 upscales well through the oppo

I see, so the Oppo realized the TV cannot sync and converted to 25Hz output instead (probably throwing away half the frames)...interesting, so if you feed a true 4K 50/60Hz feed to the Oppo it would convert it down to 30/25Hz for you...well at least you know if some new channel comes out with that broadcast format at least you can still watch it using the Oppo...albeit at 30/25Hz...
post #725 of 1139 Old 05-22-2014, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wanted to let guys know that lg replaced the panel on my set because it had the jailbreak banding and now it looks worst. Im not happy at all, they are coming next Tuesday to try another panel I hope I get a good one this time.

Emmat2011
post #726 of 1139 Old 05-23-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmat2011 View Post

Wanted to let guys know that lg replaced the panel on my set because it had the jailbreak banding and now it looks worst. Im not happy at all, they are coming next Tuesday to try another panel I hope I get a good one this time.
my panel had that and it went over time weirdly

post #727 of 1139 Old 05-23-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Here is the step by step process to pair the Magic Remote of the TV to your Blu-Ray player:

1. Press the Smart button on the remote

2. Then go to the Icon Box that says Universal Remote ( it’s a grey box that has some red, green and yellow color buttons on it )

3. After you click on that it will ask you if you want to do the device control process, you would click on Ok or Continue.

4. Once you click on it, it will just let you know that this process can be done with the magic remote that you have and then click on Ok again, then you will see that it will ask you to select the device you want to control, you will select the one that looks like a CD and it will say Blu-Ray Player. 

5. Once you click on it, it will show you some brands that the TV can also control, scroll down and search for the one that would be LG and click on it, and after that go and click on Ok.

6. It will show you a small box after that with a box next to it that will say Remote 1 and under it should show a power button icon, a play icon and a pause icon push those button on it and it will turn off the player and back on, if playing a movie it will pause it and play it again.

7. After this click on the Ok and it will show that the process is completed, you can click on Complete and you should be good to go.

post #728 of 1139 Old 05-23-2014, 10:16 AM

TallCoolOne,

Do you know of other 4K clips like this one you posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scuxovLtYuA

Rich

post #729 of 1139 Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richjh101 View Post

TallCoolOne,
Do you know of other 4K clips like this one you posted?

There are lots on YouTube, the Jacob + Katie Schwarz channel has lots of great ones, and just do a search and you'll find tons. Be sure to use 4K Video Downloader and watch them from a USB stick for the best quality. Choose the "Original" option for resolution to get the 4K version. Here are some of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK0FpxQ4Ink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNJdPyoqt8U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11zf7Y5tUbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrGDVuIzxA
post #730 of 1139 Old 05-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:

my panel had that and it went over time weirdly
I couldn't stand those lines while watching hockey.

Emmat2011
post #731 of 1139 Old 05-23-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:

There are lots on YouTube, the Jacob + Katie Schwarz channel has lots of great ones, and just do a search and you'll find tons. Be sure to use 4K Video Downloader and watch them from a USB stick for the best quality. Choose the "Original" option for resolution to get the 4K version. Here are some of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK0FpxQ4Ink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNJdPyoqt8U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11zf7Y5tUbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrGDVuIzxA

TallCoolOne,
Thank you so much for taking the time to put together this list.
Rich
post #732 of 1139 Old 05-23-2014, 01:06 PM

No one on this thread has issues like I do ? Its really hard to believe that only MoneynCabinex and I got the only 2 bad panels. I noticed the jailbreak banding when I calibrated the set, especially when I switched the temperature to warm2.

Emmat2011
post #733 of 1139 Old 05-23-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:

No one on this thread has issues like I do ? Its really hard to believe that only MoneynCabinex and I got the only 2 bad panels. I noticed the jailbreak banding when I calibrated the set, especially when I switched the temperature to warm2.

Mine has some minor amount of banding, I watch a lot of soccer and hockey too and it is most noticeable then, but it is definitely nothing major. When watching sports especially hockey I use Standard picture mode (but calibrated to my liking), and have TruMotion on also...I think it helps make everything smoother and I rarely ever notice the banding.
WhiskeyOmega likes this.
post #734 of 1139 Old 05-23-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Mine has some minor amount of banding, I watch a lot of soccer and hockey too and it is most noticeable then, but it is definitely nothing major. When watching sports especially hockey I use Standard picture mode (but calibrated to my liking), and have TruMotion on also...I think it helps make everything smoother and I rarely ever notice the banding.
Thanks for responding, this is what I see when switching to the inner pattern Im hoping that I get a better panel next time. TallCoolOne, do you know after how many attempted repairs can one ask for a replacement model?

Emmat2011
post #735 of 1139 Old 05-23-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks for responding, this is what I see when switching to the inner pattern Im hoping that I get a better panel next time. TallCoolOne, do you know after how many attempted repairs can one ask for a replacement model?

How did you get to that Inner pattern? Mine has like 3 patterns in Expert Pattern section of Expert Controls and that's it. I have no idea how many repair attempts you can do.
post #736 of 1139 Old 05-23-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

How did you get to that Inner pattern? Mine has like 3 patterns in Expert Pattern section of Expert Controls and that's it. I have no idea how many repair attempts you can do.
Expert Control
- White Balance
-- Method: 2 Points
-- Pattern: Inner

The picture above does not look that bad to me.
post #737 of 1139 Old 05-23-2014, 11:39 PM

Ah yes, White Balance, I knew I saw that somewhere...

So I tried mine...definitely in Warm2 the slight bands are a bit more visible, I guess I don't notice them as much since I always watch hockey in Standard mode with Medium color temp. But I do watch movies always in my Expert1 calibrated mode and Game of Thrones snow scenes look great, I have to look extremely hard to notice any sort of banding.
post #738 of 1139 Old 05-24-2014, 03:55 AM

A breakthrough occurred yesterday. I had been fiddling with settings on both the TV and my STR-DNR1040 AV receiver in order to try and get pass through working from the Sky HD receiver (my wife can't get her head round operating the AV). When I came to switch on the TV, I saw that the Toshiba Blueray was showing up. That seemed strange as I had not switched it on. There was also a Simplink message. Now, apart from one mention in the owners manual of the TV there is nothing about this feature and it seems as if I had inadvertently switched it on from The TV's input settings. When I investigated further, the green button controls this feature and because it was set to "Power On" I figured that if I set it to "Power Off" it would not switch on the Blueray and this worked - to an extent. If the set was last used with the AV receiver, I would get the picture from Sky but no sound (seems it defaults to the TV input on the Sony). But if the set last played Sky direct, the Sky picture and sound goes direct to the TV bypassing the amp.

I will cross post this to STR-DNR1040 Users forums as this problem is well-documented. But, how strange that Simplink is not documented in the User Manual.
xenomaniac likes this.
post #739 of 1139 Old 05-24-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

In regards to the panel banding posts.

I notice the banding when watching football, it seems more apparent when the green pitch is on show, even then it mainly appears when the camera is panning from left to right. Or right to left

When I have switched to the settings "inner Pattern" as per the previous posts, I can see it slightly but not as much when viewing the football.

Until I read the posts on here I thought it was just me and even then I started to think it was some kind of interference from the wall brackets as mine is on the wall.

For the money we have paid you would expect that minor faults such as this shouldn't exist but, I feel if I try and get it fixed I may end up worse off.

It doesn't annoy me that much, less so now that I know there is actually something there and not in my head.

post #740 of 1139 Old 05-24-2014, 11:08 AM

Watching the new Walking with Dinosaurs movie in 3D. The oppo outputs the 3d file which is over/under instead of side by side in 2160p and the tv converts it. Wow its good!!

post #741 of 1139 Old 05-24-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

TallCoolOne, do you know after how many attempted repairs can one ask for a replacement model?

The norm for LG is three repair requests. Usually on that third service request, LG will transfer your case to their returns department. Then it will be up to that department to determine if your TV is considered defective and qualifies for a replacement.
post #742 of 1139 Old 05-24-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that. Never actually noticed there's more of the options I want when using standard instead of expert.

Watching the uefa champions league final and the pictures amazing. Can't tell the difference between the 720p cable source source going through the oppo or the satellite 1080i source. Amazing

post #743 of 1139 Old 05-24-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that. Never actually noticed there's more of the options I want when using standard instead of expert.

Watching the uefa champions league final and the pictures amazing. Can't tell the difference between the 720p cable source source going through the oppo or the satellite 1080i source. Amazing

I'm watching it too right now, exciting game! And yes, it looks great in the tv, I don't notice any banding...
post #744 of 1139 Old 05-24-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I'm watching it too right now, exciting game! And yes, it looks great in the tv, I don't notice any banding...

Weirdly the banding a actually reappeared as the game went on. upto around the 60th minute it was fine. But it's very minimal

post #745 of 1139 Old 05-24-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I may have purchased this TV if it didn't have absurdly high input lag.
post #746 of 1139 Old 05-24-2014, 08:22 PM

On the original panel the bands were noticeable even on standard mode but I really couldn't avoid starting at them especially on the right side of the panel. We paid premium for these sets and I expect premium quality, I didn't get a chance to watch the Champions League Final but I was able to watch some hockey tonight and I when I switched the temperature to warm2 I didn't see any banding but the panel has 2 black spots on the screen also when I change the channel half of the screen is black and the other is gray. Too bad for those spots otherwise this panel would be a keeper. I talked to my dealer and he said if the next panel is also bad he will pick up the unit and make it right.

Emmat2011
post #747 of 1139 Old 05-25-2014, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Today my Local Fry's had the 65LA9700 for just under $2800. Online the price still shows as $4500, but in the store the price was $2797 or thereabouts. Not a markdown or floor model either.
post #748 of 1139 Old 05-25-2014, 03:35 AM

Tears of Steel is an Open Source Movie in 4K which is free to download http://mango.blender.org/download/ The problem is that it is in .mov format which the LG does not appear to support. I tied to convert it to a suitable format but it crashed my computer 3 times using different programs. Booting had to be repaired each time. The film can also be downloaded in a cinema package (.dcm) but again, this is not supported. I just emailed one of the Producer who swiftly wrote back "We used these .movs to play it on a 4k tv at siggraph" and suggested that as everything was available Open Source anyone could modify the source. As I tried and failed, has anyone got the capability of uploading a suitable version? There is a 12 minute version on YouTube but that may be just a trailer?
post #749 of 1139 Old 05-25-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees1 View Post

Tears of Steel is an Open Source Movie in 4K which is free to download http://mango.blender.org/download/ The problem is that it is in .mov format which the LG does not appear to support. I tied to convert it to a suitable format but it crashed my computer 3 times using different programs. Booting had to be repaired each time. The film can also be downloaded in a cinema package (.dcm) but again, this is not supported. I just emailed one of the Producer who swiftly wrote back "We used these .movs to play it on a 4k tv at siggraph" and suggested that as everything was available Open Source anyone could modify the source. As I tried and failed, has anyone got the capability of uploading a suitable version? There is a 12 minute version on YouTube but that may be just a trailer?

Nope that's the whole movie. I've downloaded it and played it through the pc and also played through the TV on the YouTube app and really didn't notice any difference. Seems upscaled to be honest.

post #750 of 1139 Old 05-25-2014, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

How to play three dimensional  3860X1080  with 9700 ?

do i need Special computer player?  i have power dvd 13

do i need Special Video Card  Supporter  4K ?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 65la9700 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Smart Led Tv , Lg Electronics 55la9700 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Smart Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page