Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1143 Old 12-14-2013, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnura View Post

Actually that's not true. It's cheap to build back-lit LED TVs with a low number of local dimming zones, which directly relates to very few LEDs, but building a good back-lit LED with hundreds of local dimming zones is very costly. Other than the high volume of LEDs that are required to design and build high quality full array LED TVs here's another issue that makes a good full array back-lit LED TV difficult and expensive to build. Most folks don't know this but when LED bulbs are manufactured they have to be sorted by Kelvin color temperature as they come out with very inconsistent colors. So sorting a large volume of like colored LEDs is a difficult task.
Any price from this retailer is worthless and can not be used as a real world price. I would not suggest recommending or even referencing this retailer as it does not add any value to any conversation. Try buying this or any product from them to see what happens. ANd further, they sell every single item at prices well below the market price, cameras, appliances etc. Would you suggest all of these categories and all of the items in these categories are also dropping by using ECTV as the example.
At CES you see prototypes of the TVs that will begin shipping in May-June 2014. Prices don't drop on the current TVs till the model year is ended so don't expect prices to drop till May 2014 or later.

That's exactly what I been noticing its a trend I really think the tv marketing has changed first off all the manufactures set prices according to IPO ..The manufactures meet to also decide how they gonna deal with pricing the new technology...they are locking in prices together ... All the TV's are now priced the same to compete with the other so that just leave it up to is as buyers to find out who has the best PQ UNIFORMITY ECT ... And again I really doubt LED is gonna make a comeback ....ON SETs that's cost 1-2 thousand which are usually deemed affordable ...I highly think it's gonna be edge lit for the mass market and OLED/FLAD for discerning buyers ... ... I have some footage of CES and it's all proto types also the 65 version been 4563 at all time tv since Black Friday .... Again these panels are not gonna drop much more then they alrdy have. Actually 4500 is dealer price some places are still selling it for 5,999 ex best buy , PC Richards big box retailers and that's sale original is 6,999 .... I have been watching the price of the tv since July when it released why do you think they made the little brother 9650 because lg alrdy decided it makes more sense to drop a edge lit version and price that as the cheaper version then drop the price on the 9700 anymore .... Trust me insider secrete ... And there gonna roll out the dongles hdmi 2.0 upgrade after CES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1143 Old 12-14-2013, 06:08 AM

I sure hope the new steam-machines will have hdmi 2.0.. My god I can imagine running that off of a 4k tv @ 60fps screen smdh ...CES WILL BE VERY JUICY ....I'm Expect a lot of bendable tech...
post #93 of 1143 Old 12-14-2013, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
What's weird about the LA9700 pricing right now is the 55" is only $2999 at Amazon (with a $400 promotional credit on top of that) and the 65" is still $5999 (with a $500 credit after)...that's a huge difference, double the price. The 55" is currently the same price as their lower model 9650 which is also odd. I think we'll see a similar price drop for the 65" soon.
post #94 of 1143 Old 12-14-2013, 02:09 PM

Amazon prices flux . A lot so it's not surprising also take into account Christmas is about 10 days away this is the time there trying offer discounts... Maybe we will see a price drop on the 65 inch but I don't expect that till Super Bowl (which I believe is the best time to buy, I'm just to impatient :/) that's when all tv go on sale and they go back to regular prices mid level prices drop a lot but there tier 1 products are not gonna drop in price heavily ... I just can't believe how clear this damn tv is ... HD looks way better then it use to on my pioneer and 4k material idc how compressed looks great... Every movie I've watched didnt look this damn good b4. I mean everything looks so real ... When the sunlight hits the tv you have no choice but to squint ... Edges are so sharp I can see strands of hair off of people heads when the sunlight hits it ... Contrast is amazing ... I've never seen light bounce off of the pupils of actors the way it does ... It's utterly nutZ ... Blacks are so deep you can't help but wonder how the blacks get so deep and white get this white and the colors are just spectacular so robust but not over saturated I mean idk how much more I can emphasize on the clarity of the 4k upscaler... You can see the fibers off the cloths .. I've been watching old movies and they look fantastic .. Noise reduction works like a charm ... Hell it's even got MPEG noise reduction and again videos are the best iv seen on any tv ... My eyes can't get enough of the detail ... Guys look at every review you can find on this tv all will say it's more expensive but the PQ you will get will leave u dumbfounded ... If only I can get some native 4k frown.gif I read reviews that's said "the 4k was second to none ..... " " the best 4k they have seen from any panel so far " ... Again it's scarce but come 3 weeks a new dawn will come I have alrdy preordered my 4k media player from nuvola... And it cost half that of sony 4k ... Oh did I mention it will come with 10 movies out the box ... The market is going to get very competitive smile.gif)) can't wait to see who overs the least compression ... Can anyone else see a 4k media player shoot out in the future ...may the best player win! Tall one don't worry about why prices are dropping I would jump on it because believe me that price will not be like that for long ... The fact it's price the same should get people to purchase the high end set then the little brother ... Had I seen that I prob would have gotten the 55 and save 3,000 ...gift card will come in handy also ...'sweet deal I think LG is just trying to get these out to people because like me I didn't know what the tv was capable off until I seen it on and through calibration I must say I'am very satisfied of the tv PQ so I will be staying with it ... One of my friends have the samsung f9000 another has the sony 900a and they were blown away by what this panel was capable off ... The picture quality had them shaking there head and even though the PQ is tight on both there TV's .. They were taken in on how life like the movies were the depth of this tv and the way it can illuminate left them wishing they chose the LG they loved how sports looked to the point where they have alrdy came up with the idea that I should host this years Super Bowl party ... Games forget about it.... Xbox one Ryse had them regret not considering the LG a contender....
post #95 of 1143 Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Actually, new FALD sets are just around the corner. Vizio posted this: http://store.vizio.com/news/vizio-to-add-full-array-led-backlighting-to-2014-tvs Of course, major brands are going to have to follow suit if they plan to stay competitive in the LCD market. Not only that, but the prices (including 4k sets) are going to be dirt cheap. The biggest advantage of LCD tech is that it is extremely mature, and has only improved since the primitive LCD sets.
I have heard that before, we will see if they actually hit the stores, then we will see if they are any good..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

What's weird about the LA9700 pricing right now is the 55" is only $2999 at Amazon (with a $400 promotional credit on top of that) and the 65" is still $5999 (with a $500 credit after)...that's a huge difference, double the price. The 55" is currently the same price as their lower model 9650 which is also odd. I think we'll see a similar price drop for the 65" soon.
Prices are even better at other dealers..........
post #96 of 1143 Old 12-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Prices are even better at other dealers..........
Hmm...even the ever so sketchy east coast tv's is more than the $2999 amazon had it for yesterday (back to $3999 now). I think it was actually a misprint now...
post #97 of 1143 Old 12-16-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 442
post #98 of 1143 Old 12-16-2013, 11:01 AM

So I went into BB and showed them the Amazon price for $2999 and they matched it, so I have a 55LA9700 on the way at a bargain price from a local store! I can also return it quite easily since it is from BB if I am not happy with it they will take it back no questions asked and I also have price drop guarantee. I originally wanted the 65" but paying over $2k more for it is not worth it...besides, I don't really have the space for it, I was just pretending I do because...well because I like big TVs smile.gif

But at this price I am ok with this being an interim TV for a year or two while OLED and 4K improves and comes down in price, then this one will make a great bedroom TV when I upgrade.

I'll post my thoughts after I get it...they had to special order since they don't stock it in store...could be as early as the end of the week if I'm lucky..
post #99 of 1143 Old 12-16-2013, 11:18 AM

Liked: 10
Wow! I bought in August for $6000 with a 60 day return price guarantee. I ended up getting $1500 back for a total price of $4500
post #100 of 1143 Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Actually, new FALD sets are just around the corner. Vizio posted this: http://store.vizio.com/news/vizio-to-add-full-array-led-backlighting-to-2014-tvs Of course, major brands are going to have to follow suit if they plan to stay competitive in the LCD market. Not only that, but the prices (including 4k sets) are going to be dirt cheap. The biggest advantage of LCD tech is that it is extremely mature, and has only improved since the primitive LCD sets.

Vizio use to make full array sets a while back! I ran across this on digitimes :

Taiwan makers poised to produce 15mm LED BLUs for Ultra HD TVs

Dec 6, 10:44

Taiwan-based LED packaging houses, mainly Everlight Electronics, Lextar Electronics and Unity Opto Technology, are set to start producing 15mm OD (optical distance) backlight units (BLUs) specifically for use in direct-type backlit Ultra HD LCD TVs at the end of 2013, according to Taiwan-based supply...
China is starting to push FALD LED 4K instead of OLED.
post #101 of 1143 Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:

So I went into BB and showed them the Amazon price for $2999 and they matched it, so I have a 55LA9700 on the way at a bargain price from a local store! I can also return it quite easily since it is from BB if I am not happy with it they will take it back no questions asked and I also have price drop guarantee. I originally wanted the 65" but paying over $2k more for it is not worth it...besides, I don't really have the space for it, I was just pretending I do because...well because I like big TVs smile.gif

But at this price I am ok with this being an interim TV for a year or two while OLED and 4K improves and comes down in price, then this one will make a great bedroom TV when I upgrade.

I'll post my thoughts after I get it...they had to special order since they don't stock it in store...could be as early as the end of the week if I'm lucky..

Good show my friend I'm sure you will appreciate the depth of the tv... Especially if u like soap opera look... I personally do ... It's crystal clear and detailed and even if you don't prefer it you will still be blown away by the up scaling and as long as you have a strong internet you can run 4k right off of YouTube instead of downloading it like most people do ... It's a waste of time and the tv still upscales the image to a quality I'm sure you will be impressed with even though it's 1/4 the quality of native 4k
post #102 of 1143 Old 12-17-2013, 08:34 PM

As a matter of fact my replacement should be here by the end of the week ... I'm really hoping this new panel is free of issues ... The colors are so life like and robust pcmag did a review recently and it was impressive although the did mention the MINOR blooming in edges again only in rest circumstances ... It never shows in movies with full 16.9 ration only with the black bars on top and bottom ..and very rarely even then I have some calibrations that will make that problem disappear ... Prob why I'm not noticing it no more .... Maybe the LED Have broken in cuz it's really not there anymore ... The main concern I have uncovered is that my panel has bands in it ... They are about 1 inch thick and are in certain spots of the panel but like the panasonic I have learned it only shows on certain scene (sky scenes and white blank screens .... There is a setting called pattern in advance setting and it changed the screen white and that's when I noticed it .... Again had it not been for this newly discovered artifact on the screen I would keep this unit as I mastered the minor blooming situation.... You won't see it in any of the pics I uploaded because it's very brief and you have to have a good eye to catch it ... The pattern really reveled it to me as it was a bright white screen ... So therefore this panel has to go ... Of course my dealer offered me another set but want a replacement first.. That's how good the performance of this tv is .... And I'm still watching it again the bands are very very hard to catch if you don't have a good eye you may not even notice it... I'm just very meticulous about certain things ...
post #103 of 1143 Old 12-17-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Maybe someone can figure this out. Stopped by my local Frys again today. They now have a 65 la9700 and a 55LA9700 on display. The 65 is on a wall, well above eye level and the 55 is on a stand below eye level if you are standing. They are both playing LG's canned 4k demo. Looking up at the 65 you see a brilliant picture with little or no loss of vibrancy as you move off center. With the 55 however, as you move away from center the image first gets a bit darker then starts to lose some contrast. I know that IPS panels have better viewing angles on their horizontal plane than their vertical plane but the difference between the two sets seemed strange since I assume that both use the same panel for the two sizes.
post #104 of 1143 Old 12-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post

Vizio use to make full array sets a while back! I ran across this on digitimes :

Taiwan makers poised to produce 15mm LED BLUs for Ultra HD TVs

Dec 6, 10:44

Taiwan-based LED packaging houses, mainly Everlight Electronics, Lextar Electronics and Unity Opto Technology, are set to start producing 15mm OD (optical distance) backlight units (BLUs) specifically for use in direct-type backlit Ultra HD LCD TVs at the end of 2013, according to Taiwan-based supply...
China is starting to push FALD LED 4K instead of OLED.

Vizio is only using 16 zones in a 4 x 4 configuration for their upcoming FALD sets, so hopefully those new LEDs will make a difference. I believe Sharp holds a patent on true FALD, which is why the Elites and the $40K 85" Samsung 4K S9 are the only FALD that have done it right. Most others use a variation of edge-lighting and electronically changing the brightness and contrast of certain parts of the screen to get faux full array/local dimming.
post #105 of 1143 Old 12-18-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyNCarbinex View Post

Good show my friend I'm sure you will appreciate the depth of the tv... Especially if u like soap opera look... I personally do ... It's crystal clear and detailed and even if you don't prefer it you will still be blown away by the up scaling and as long as you have a strong internet you can run 4k right off of YouTube instead of downloading it like most people do ... It's a waste of time and the tv still upscales the image to a quality I'm sure you will be impressed with even though it's 1/4 the quality of native 4k

My internet is 120Mbps, no problem there, but why do you say that YouTube 4k is upscaled on the tv? YouTube has 4k support directly (albeit highly compressed) so the TV shouldn't have to scale anything, unless like the Sony/Samsung there is no way to change the quality to "Original" on the LG also.
post #106 of 1143 Old 12-18-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Maybe someone can figure this out. Stopped by my local Frys again today. They now have a 65 la9700 and a 55LA9700 on display. The 65 is on a wall, well above eye level and the 55 is on a stand below eye level if you are standing. They are both playing LG's canned 4k demo. Looking up at the 65 you see a brilliant picture with little or no loss of vibrancy as you move off center. With the 55 however, as you move away from center the image first gets a bit darker then starts to lose some contrast. I know that IPS panels have better viewing angles on their horizontal plane than their vertical plane but the difference between the two sets seemed strange since I assume that both use the same panel for the two sizes.

Were you at Fry's in Sunnyvale? I saw the TVs there too. I had to lower myself to be at eye level with the TV otherwise the contrast was much different off angle. But I didn't really notice any difference between the 55" and 65" after that.

My 55" is arriving on Dec 26, so I will be able to do some real tests on it then. I also have an old Samsung with FALD that I can compare it to. I really liked my Samsung black levels, so if it comes close to it (or better) I will be happy.
post #107 of 1143 Old 12-18-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:

My internet is 120Mbps, no problem there, but why do you say that YouTube 4k is upscaled on the tv? YouTube has 4k support directly (albeit highly compressed) so the TV shouldn't have to scale anything, unless like the Sony/Samsung there is no way to change the quality to "Original" on the LG also.

No it will automatically choose the 4k compatible resolution no need to worry about that ... What's cool is that I search 4k content on my phone and stream it flawlessly to the panel .... But what I'm saying is that regardless of what material SD, HD , MPEG UHd it will upscale them all to fit the screen and give u a 4k effect .... Of course YouTube is so badly compressed it also to has to go through video processing through hevc .265
Decoder tv will still strive to manipulate the content to give it that 4k effect ... The results are still a impressive picture ... 4k looks great on YouTube and you don't have to worry about switching the quality as it will choose the best quality .... Lg has local dimming that works like a charm ... Lg done it right alright .... So right that I'm still considering staying with the brand even though I learned that they know of this problem happening (banding ) it has to do with the LED configuration that are located in the panel ... They mentioned they are looking into the matter but they could not give me any answers if my panel would get replaced if my dealer swaps the old one out and the new one still has the same problems ... Again big decisions to face ... I'm interested to know if your panel will have any problems
post #108 of 1143 Old 12-18-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkc View Post

Wow! I bought in August for $6000 with a 60 day return price guarantee. I ended up getting $1500 back for a total price of $4500

Well I actually paid 5,000 flat with deliver for the 65 let me ask you something is there any subtle banding on your tv that you can tell... It may only be a half a inch to a inch thin and may be on various spots of the panel ... ??? I understand you do have the 55 version and someone in a review posted up on the 1st page that some review site did experience some banding I would like to know your experience so far cuz if it's only the 65 then it may be worth getting the 55 as the technician said its a problem with the LED PLACEMENT IN THE SCREEN she told me it has to do with bigger screens so again let me know if you have the banding issue
post #109 of 1143 Old 12-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Were you at Fry's in Sunnyvale? I saw the TVs there too. I had to lower myself to be at eye level with the TV otherwise the contrast was much different off angle. But I didn't really notice any difference between the 55" and 65" after that.

My 55" is arriving on Dec 26, so I will be able to do some real tests on it then. I also have an old Samsung with FALD that I can compare it to. I really liked my Samsung black levels, so if it comes close to it (or better) I will be happy.

Ohhhh man this thing can get ridiculous black .... I'm telling you if your as passionate about blacks and whites like I'am because let's face it blacks are good but without bright whites the contrast will suck .... Together it creates fusion ... Colors pops to a degree that is Just mind blowing ... I hate 1080 now smdh cuz remember even your HD MATERIALS NO MATTER HOW NATIVE will have the 4k effect and let me tell you it's a pretty dramatic effect ...where are u located at ... I'm on the east coast and verizon caps out at 75/35 frown.gif
post #110 of 1143 Old 12-18-2013, 02:15 PM

I'm in San Francisco with Comcast for internet, it is supposed to be 105/20 but I get about 120/25.

I'll definitely look for any bands and do full tests in dark and bright rooms once I get the set. I have the Spears and Munsil BD for running tests and calibrating.

You mentioned about YouTube going through HEVC processing, I'm pretty sure nothing on YouTube uses H.265 yet so that decoder in your TV is not being used at all...unless you downloaded some H.265 clips online and fed them directly to the TV to decode...which would be a nice test in itself as well.
post #111 of 1143 Old 12-18-2013, 02:15 PM

Liked: 11

Money,

I took IMAX Under The Sea 3D to the shop and the salesman kindly played this on the LA9700. This was with a very basic low end Sony player yet the picture was excellent. The potato carp scene really popped out and looked amazing. We then swapped it with Jim Carey A Christmas Carol and the picture was very good also except I saw very little detail in the dark areas. This movie has very dark scenes throughout which I thought is a good test material for the blacks. The shop was lit up very brightly with reflections of many TVs of different brands all over the place but the picture produced by the LA9700 65 inch model was still excellently vibrant and clear except for the seemingly lack of details in the very black areas of the scene. Absolutely no blooming in the corners. The cheap Sony player he used may have also contributed to the lack of black detail.Other colors were crisp, sharp and lovely to look at. 

I am almost ready to purchase this LG but want to hear from you what your experience is with your set in normal home viewing conditions with regards the details in darkened scenes. 

I have currently a LG LX full array 55 TV since 2010. After years of vibrant enjoyment with it, lately, I have also noticed vertical white bands appearing especially at startup or in the interim before the movie menu pops up. Surprisingly, these all go away when the movie starts.If the bands are still there, they are not noticeable even when I try looking for them. The picture this TV produces is still very very good. I would keep it except for my wish to have a TV and 4K.  

post #112 of 1143 Old 12-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesouza View Post

I am almost ready to purchase this LG but want to hear from you what your experience is with your set in normal home viewing conditions with regards the details in darkened scenes. 

I get my set on the 26th, I'll definitely let you know as I will be doing many tests to actually decide if I want to keep the set or return it. I have plenty of great dark test material on bluray including the batman movies and the underworld series. I have an HDMI splitter and will use it to feed the same signal to both my old FALD Samsung set and the new LG and do some comparisons.
post #113 of 1143 Old 12-18-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:

I'm in San Francisco with Comcast for internet, it is supposed to be 105/20 but I get about 120/25.

I'll definitely look for any bands and do full tests in dark and bright rooms once I get the set. I have the Spears and Munsil BD for running tests and calibrating.

You mentioned about YouTube going through HEVC processing, I'm pretty sure nothing on YouTube uses H.265 yet so that decoder in your TV is not being used at all...unless you downloaded some H.265 clips online and fed them directly to the TV to decode...which would be a nice test in itself as well.

Well to answer your question I managed to get my hands on some 4k material using the new implemented .265 of course it's still a bit skittish but the compression results are better and from what I understand .265 will also supposedly be providing the best algorithm to solving the pesky problem of limiting the bandwidth at 30fps streaming .. So where suppose to get 60fps over .265 giving us the power to stream 4k flawlessly .... I've read a few reviews that promises hevc will indeed play a crucial role in how we receive 4k content via web... Believe me this will be important as more people start to implement it ...
post #114 of 1143 Old 12-19-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyNCarbinex View Post

Well to answer your question I managed to get my hands on some 4k material using the new implemented .265 of course it's still a bit skittish but the compression results are better and from what I understand .265 will also supposedly be providing the best algorithm to solving the pesky problem of limiting the bandwidth at 30fps streaming .. So where suppose to get 60fps over .265 giving us the power to stream 4k flawlessly .... I've read a few reviews that promises hevc will indeed play a crucial role in how we receive 4k content via web... Believe me this will be important as more people start to implement it ...

Netflix will start streaming in 4k in 2014:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1387432403

Not sure if they will be using HEVC or not, nor if it will work on the LG set..but I guess we'll find out in January...
post #115 of 1143 Old 12-19-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesouza View Post

Money,
I took IMAX Under The Sea 3D to the shop and the salesman kindly played this on the LA9700. This was with a very basic low end Sony player yet the picture was excellent. The potato carp scene really popped out and looked amazing. We then swapped it with Jim Carey A Christmas Carol and the picture was very good also except I saw very little detail in the dark areas. This movie has very dark scenes throughout which I thought is a good test material for the blacks. The shop was lit up very brightly with reflections of many TVs of different brands all over the place but the picture produced by the LA9700 65 inch model was still excellently vibrant and clear except for the seemingly lack of details in the very black areas of the scene. Absolutely no blooming in the corners. The cheap Sony player he used may have also contributed to the lack of black detail.Other colors were crisp, sharp and lovely to look at. 
I have currently a LG LX full array 55 TV since 2010. After years of vibrant enjoyment with it, lately, I have also noticed vertical white bands appearing especially at startup or in the interim before the movie menu pops up. Surprisingly, these all go away when the movie starts.If the bands are still there, they are not noticeable even when I try looking for them. The picture this TV produces is still very very good. I would keep it except for my wish to have a TV and 4K.  

Yes I will keep you posted on the new panel of course .... But I must say that the banding really may be the shadow from the LED panel ... I ve noticed it cannot be seen in every scene... Only in very bright screens and only when the camera pans very fast it will show it very subtle I mean my girl has cryzal and every other technology you can think of in her glasses and she can hardly see it ... It practically took me a whole hour to point it out to her because the picture blends it in so well you can't help but think the same anomaly that I thought were bands may be the actually shadow of the LED array because they also create the picture that almost blends it out ... Almost .. and again I notified LG but they had very little to tell me except that they are trying to find a solution and she said it may not happen on the next panel I receive ... Out of all the panels out now I felt the panasonic was the best as Future proof goes ex. Display port hdmi 2.0 but the LG has a few tricks up it sleeve also USB.3.0 ... Hevc .265 5gb of LG cloud service and it has a tuner built in for 4k broadcasting whenever it becomes implemented as well ... I think it's 8gb of on board storage for apps ect ... Passive 3d instead of active and again because it's FALD is the main reason why I'm sticking with it because it will create some very deep blacks but you can play with the dynamic contrast to lighting up certain Areas .. Add local dimming and turn up the backlight and contrast and you can get a vivid picture with the deep blacks you want ... It just takes some calibrating of course they really don't do a good job calibrating the tv in certain big box retailers .... Don't be fooled if it's not set right, yes...some detail can get to dark!!! ... Some simple calibrating will solve this issue ... Someone had mentioned they didn't see any backlight blooming in the model they seen on display in the convo and I had mentioned that between calibrating and the LED BULBS THEMSELVES breaking in may have resulted to a end in that particular situation ... As its very rare!!! so rare you will need to buy the panel and take the unit home with you and watch a whole lot of movies and be very discerning about PQ ... To spot it .... Again my girl can see Jesus with her glasses but can't see the banding frown.gif so I guess that also is a sign of how vague it really is and how hard it really is to see it....
post #116 of 1143 Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:

Not sure if they will be using HEVC or not, nor if it will work on the LG set..but I guess we'll find out in January...

Yes I have read they are rolling out with it in the 1st quarter of 2014 ... And amazon to has made a pledge to start shooting there series in 4k so more people are starting to enter the market to provide us 4k content and most will use the new .265 decoder soon ... Iv even herd that by next year we will have a whole slew of 4k providers who will stream content directly via web .... Unfortunately until a new blueray disk is created to handle the mass video files this will be the only way we get 4k near native material for now .... Storage seems to be the main problem ... We need something bigger then a blue-ray for these behemoth files ....hmmmm If only sony would step up....
post #117 of 1143 Old 12-19-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:

I'm still looking out for these dudes at novola4k the fact nvidia makes the GPU may be very interesting and the fact that it may be able to play computer games could be a bonus. I alrdy got my order in .... Either way it was gonna be this or red 4k player ... So I figured go with the underdog again :/ what can I say ...

http://www.nuvola4k.com/order.php

Also at techspot.com there is a article about japan broadcasting 4k in 2014 and 8k by 2016 ... I assume 8k sets will be rolling out soon based on these decisions from japan ...
With the chipmakers able to roll out new chipsets every 8-16 months makes 8k more visible sooner then even I expected it ... If japan is broadcasting in 2014 I presume we will to follow the trend .... I think I'm gonna save that extra 3,000 I saved for a 8k tv in the future smile.gif it seems 4k will be like what 720p was to 1080p A got damn stepping stone ....
post #118 of 1143 Old 12-19-2013, 12:52 AM

Sony isn't stepping up anytime soon I'm afraid, I think they deliberately block 4k on USB and network on their sets so the only way users can see any 4k on their new tv's is to buy or rent them at the ludicrous prices through their media streamer.

As for the nuvola it looks interesting, but I couldn't find any info on what content is available via their streaming service. I certainly don't want to pay $8 a rental for a crappy selection like Sony's. I'll wait and see with them...let me know when you get it smile.gif
post #119 of 1143 Old 12-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Liked: 10
A couple weeks ago I thought I saw some banding, but it was a bright scene on my Dish Hopper receiver and was on my other tv too a Samsung 46UNC8000 so it must have been source related. I toned down the brightness of the tv and haven't seen it again. I haven't ever seen any banding using my HDDVD or Blu Ray. I've never had a washed out picture from any angle while watching the tv as some of the reviews or other people are saying.
post #120 of 1143 Old 12-19-2013, 09:48 PM

well now that i think about it..... it could be the source related material ... i,m gonna watch some blue-rays tonight and see if i see the banding present...... I have been renting movies and watching movies on verizon fios.. i only tried one blue-ray so far and thats fast and furious ... even though i own many ...but i have noticed it when playing playstation 4 and xbox ...so i can only assume it will happen with movies...by any chance can you take pictures of a white screen ??

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 65la9700 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Smart Led Tv , Lg Electronics 55la9700 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Smart Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page