Official LG LA9700 Owner's Thread ( 55LA9700, 65LA9700 ) - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #1441 of 1964 Old 01-21-2015, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinWilliams View Post
I have also just received the paperwork so have signed, scanned and sent back to them today. I'm in central London.. hopefully we will all get our upgrades soon!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey141 View Post
That is good news :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey141 View Post
Just had this reply back from them:

Thank you for your email.

We can confirm this has now been attached to your file and forwarded to the relevant department.

One of our agents will be in contact with you shortly.
Yep well they got 3 so im hoping its within the next couple of weeks. Really itching to watch some breaking bad in 4k again now !

Having just spoken to LG they are currently waiting on stock of the Upgrade Kits and then they call their courier company to go and fit them.

LG 55LA970W - Oppo 103D - Onkyo TX-NR636 - Kef Q1,5,9C speakers and Rel 150 sub - Sennheiser HD650 Headphones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1964 Old 01-21-2015, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyOmega View Post
Yep well they got 3 so im hoping its within the next couple of weeks. Really itching to watch some breaking bad in 4k again now !

Having just spoken to LG they are currently waiting on stock of the Upgrade Kits and then they call their courier company to go and fit them.
Thanks for the update. I am itching to watch some 4K Netflix too. Fingers crossed it will be soon.
post #1443 of 1964 Old 01-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Sorry for the late responses everyone, was out of town the last week.

@ldeveraux : Yes 2 boards were removed and one was added, and they let you keep the old boards. All you do is remove the connectors from the boards, take off a few screws and it's out. New cables come for connecting the new board to the existing other boards, speaker system, etc. You also install some foam pads in specific places and some strips of tape come for securing the cables. The instructions tell you exactly where to put the tape and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmcguir View Post
This is VERY promising... I am very tempted to give it a shot, but it says not in stock right now. Was there any software update he did, or is the software preinstalled on the new board and you just flip out the boards and you're good to go?
Any chance you can upload the installation instructions for people who want to try and do this on their own?
Well it says not in stock because it is a special order item, they order it when you place your order. It says ETA of 1/29 as of right now, so that is when you can expect your order if you order today.

Yes he did install a firmware update but it was initiated through the service menu, how to do it yourself is all in the instructions. The only other thing he did was go in the service menu and restore the settings for white balance for each color temp setting to same settings as before the hardware swap. He also entered the serial number and model name in manually through the service menu so it appears in the user screens properly. That's all in the instructions also. You may want to make sure you can access the service menu before ordering, try this perhaps?:

http://www.askvg.com/secret-service-...ony-and-lg-tv/

I have scanned the instructions as well as the spec sheet that came with the upgrade, you can grab them here:

http://d.pr/f/10QQE/2A03f1Op
http://d.pr/f/11a7m/5wyQCI1W

Last edited by TallCoolOne; 01-22-2015 at 03:58 PM.
post #1444 of 1964 Old 01-22-2015, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

@ldeveraux : Yes 2 boards were removed and one was added, and they let you keep the old boards. All you do is remove the connectors from the boards, take off a few screws and it's out. New cables come for connecting the new board to the existing other boards, speaker system, etc. You also install some foam pads in specific places and some strips of tape come for securing the cables. The instructions tell you exactly where to put the tape and everything.

Well it says not in stock because it is a special order item, they order it when you place your order. It says ETA of 1/29 as of right now, so that is when you can expect your order if you order today.

Yes he did install a firmware update but it was initiated through the service menu, how to do it yourself is all in the instructions. The only other thing he did was go in the service menu and restore the settings for white balance for each color temp setting to same settings as before the hardware swap. He also entered the serial number and model name in manually through the service menu so it appears in the user screens properly. That's all in the instructions also. You may want to make sure you can access the service menu before ordering, try this perhaps?:

I have scanned the instructions as well as the spec sheet that came with the upgrade, you can grab them here:

Thanks again for your great posts on this TV. I finally, finally got ahold of someone in "VIP" customer service (lol) and got my paperwork signed!

One thing that's disappointing is they note that ARC will no longer function. Oh well, I guess that's the price one has to pay to get access to 4K on a TV we purchased that was a "4K" TV.
post #1445 of 1964 Old 01-22-2015, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, you are awesome, thank you very much!
post #1446 of 1964 Old 01-23-2015, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I'm checking tonight whether I can access the Service Menu. If so, I'm going to place that order. Excited!
post #1447 of 1964 Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeveraux View Post
I'm checking tonight whether I can access the Service Menu. If so, I'm going to place that order. Excited!
Any luck? Note you also need to be able to access the In-Start menu, as shown on page 15 of the instructions. I just tried accessing the service menu (EZ ADJUST menu) and In-Start using my Harmony remote with the discrete codes, it works fine, I can access all the secret menus. All sorts of neat options in there...the codes on this site work perfectly:

http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.ph..._menus_/_modes

Of course be careful in there, it is easy to brick your TV by messing with these.
post #1448 of 1964 Old 01-27-2015, 03:49 AM

Are we waiting for these boards to be sourced the metal and materials !?
How long does it take to deliver a board. I would probably understand if they are coming from Taiwan or wherever via slow freight shipping as they can take 6 weeks odd. But i get the feeling LG has no sense of urgency despite £280 (which is alot of money to some people including myself) being involved. I won't be buying LG again thats for sure. These guys couldn't organize a drink up in a brewery .

Anyway rant over

LG 55LA970W - Oppo 103D - Onkyo TX-NR636 - Kef Q1,5,9C speakers and Rel 150 sub - Sennheiser HD650 Headphones
post #1449 of 1964 Old 01-27-2015, 06:40 AM

Ironically i just had a phone call from Head office at LG saying my upgrade is now ready . However 2 things seem different then anyone else. 1. Payment is upfront before they do the work. 2. They will be taking the TV away to their service centre which can take up to 5 working days. Not really happy with the 2nd one considering its my only TV and i know people have had it done at there home in a matter of a hour.

post #1450 of 1964 Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Ironically i just had a phone call from Head office at LG saying my upgrade is now ready . However 2 things seem different then anyone else. 1. Payment is upfront before they do the work. 2. They will be taking the TV away to their service centre which can take up to 5 working days. Not really happy with the 2nd one considering its my only TV and i know people have had it done at there home in a matter of a hour.
Just had the exact same Phone call from Matt @ LG. Again not happy about losing the TV for a few days but a small price to pay I guess.
post #1451 of 1964 Old 01-27-2015, 07:08 AM

Liked: 0
Same here. Not happy at all. They won't even provide a loan set.
Think I'll just put it down as a poor purchase and buy another TV from a different manufacturer in a few years time when there's actually 4k content available.
post #1452 of 1964 Old 01-27-2015, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
Same here. Not happy at all. They won't even provide a loan set.
Think I'll just put it down as a poor purchase and buy another TV from a different manufacturer in a few years time when there's actually 4k content available.
I got a voice mail from Matt too... really not happy about this.. it's bs. Why can they not send someone out to carry out this change as per other users? I live in Central London, it's hardly a difficult place to get to!! And then a 5 day turnaround for a job that will take a few hours..? Lame..

I have my old LG 42" plasma I can use but it's not the point.. have to take time off for collection/delivery... really tempted to just do it myself!!
post #1453 of 1964 Old 01-27-2015, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sorry to hear about all these problems. All I can say that once you have the upgrade, you won't be unhappy as the difference is worth the temporary inconvenience. The technician who did mine is based in Milton Keynes and if they only have a few trained guys, maybe it is more cost-effective for LG to centralise installation. But certainly can understand your frustration.
post #1454 of 1964 Old 01-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry to hear the UK folks are not having as smooth an experience with the upgrade as here (except for @pezley who go it for free!). It does seem weird that they need to transport the TVs, I would think that would end up costing LG more also.

Anyway, I am just thankful LG did something for us early adopters, most other manufacturers would not have gone to these lengths for supporting an older TV set. And I have heard the Samsung upgrade boxes have not been all that reliable for people, causing picture quality issues they never had before the upgrade.

This upgrade instantly makes this TV current for me for at least 2 more years, by then OLED will come way down in price and a lot more standards will get worked out (4K blu-ray, HDR, Rec.2020, 8K, etc etc etc).
post #1455 of 1964 Old 01-27-2015, 04:26 PM

What I find weird is the fact the the guinea pigs not only get it for free but the engineer came out to where ever they are and installed it in a hour. I'm only a hour away from Slough. I thought there was a law against favouritism. Anyway will have update in the morning hopefully.
post #1456 of 1964 Old 01-27-2015, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hello my friends I had made a petition, for now is only in german, but i will do it also translate in English. The reason of the petition is the not available Ultra HD Upgrade Kit!

We need a little support, can the lucky people of the US and Great Britain also support the petition, what all the owner of the LA9*** TV has more chances to get the Upgrade Kit!

Sorry for my English

So Jungs es ist soweit!

Der Wunsch kann wahr werden, lässt uns endlich trommeln das wir zu unserem Recht kommen auf das Ultra HD Upgrade Kit!

Bitte teilt es weiter an unsere Leidensgenossen! Und falls wer noch Ideen oder Änderungsvorschläge hat immer her damit!
post #1457 of 1964 Old 01-27-2015, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
post #1458 of 1964 Old 01-28-2015, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
What I find weird is the fact the the guinea pigs not only get it for free but the engineer came out to where ever they are and installed it in a hour. I'm only a hour away from Slough. I thought there was a law against favouritism. Anyway will have update in the morning hopefully.

So I spoke to Matt this morning and asked if they would just ship the part to me so I could do the upgrade myself.. he went away for a while and came back saying it had been decided that this would not be possible for 'safety reasons'! haha wtf..

Anyway, I guess it wouldn't be covered by any warrantee if I did that so I have just paid up and will send it off to be upgraded. I def want the upgrade to improve watching football and obviously for the 4k streaming on Netflix etc, so yep, I guess I should be happy that LG are offering this upgrade and not just ignoring the early adopters!

Let's hope the turnaround is fast and that we'll all finally have a nice true 4k TV to enjoy!
post #1459 of 1964 Old 01-28-2015, 03:32 AM

Just got off the phone to Matt @ LG myself who sent despite other people on here claiming to have been given a a free tester for being the 1st to contact them ( Which is a outright lie as i contacted them in June about this upgrade) And some people claiming to be given a free upgrade when they have bought another LG TV , This will not be the case for myself. I Don't think i'll bother with the upgrade now . Sell the TV and buy another brand. Too little too late from LG . Im also annoyed as i payed cash as had i payed by card there would be a charge-back taken place months ago.

post #1460 of 1964 Old 01-28-2015, 06:53 AM

Annoyed again

I posted yesterday afternoon about my displeasure in being told they had to collect my TV and take it away, but my post mysteriously disappeared! I think it stinks that they won't come to your home to do it, although they did do for people who got it done for nothing when we were sold what blatantly wasn't a true, fully fledged 4K TV. I live right near the ctnre of Manchester and regularly see LG vans driving around, so why can't they ft it at home? Like others, I think I'll leave it, and just never buy LG again.
post #1461 of 1964 Old 01-28-2015, 07:07 AM

Just spoken to Matt and expressed my disappointment. He understood, but there was nohhing they could do. My problem is I don't have the leave to take to be in for it to be collected and then delivered, so I will hopefully get it done when my new leave years starts.
post #1462 of 1964 Old 01-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinWilliams View Post
So I spoke to Matt this morning and asked if they would just ship the part to me so I could do the upgrade myself.. he went away for a while and came back saying it had been decided that this would not be possible for 'safety reasons'! haha wtf..
haha, I guess they are worried someone might attempt the upgrade with the power cable plugged in. Honestly though, given the choice again I would have just done the upgrade myself, and saved myself the extra cash as well as not having to take some time off work to be home when they installed it. If you feel comfortable at all with taking things apart and connecting ribbon cables it is fairly simple. The connectors are pretty proprietary so it's hard to connect them in the wrong place, and the instructions show every connection that has to be made.

It probably would void the warranty but unless you bought an extended one (which I never do) chances are yours is expired or almost expired anyway.
post #1463 of 1964 Old 01-28-2015, 01:10 PM

Just to clarify, although I had the upgrade done at home, I paid the full amount for the honour. As far as I know, only one guy got it for free.
post #1464 of 1964 Old 01-28-2015, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

How do you access the service menu when the TV has no buttons to press?
post #1465 of 1964 Old 01-28-2015, 05:46 PM

Are you near MK Bees? ?

Last edited by WhiskeyOmega; 01-28-2015 at 05:48 PM.
post #1466 of 1964 Old 01-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeveraux View Post
How do you access the service menu when the TV has no buttons to press?
I used the discrete codes in my Harmony remote. You could also go with any of the options shown on this site:

http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.ph..._menus_/_modes

Or you can always buy the LG service remote, I had seen them on eBay for like $30. But I think a Radio Shack one that suffices will be much cheaper and is probably under $10.
post #1467 of 1964 Old 01-29-2015, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Are you near MK Bees? ?

NW London, about 45 minute drive
post #1468 of 1964 Old 01-29-2015, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees1 View Post
NW London, about 45 minute drive
So were you considered a Guinea pig by them ? If not it shouldnt warrant a change in policy im half tempted to speak to Matt's Senior as im only about a 1 hour and half from slough at the most

post #1469 of 1964 Old 01-29-2015, 04:14 AM

Quote:
So were you considered a Guinea pig by them ? If not it shouldnt warrant a change in policy im half tempted to speak to Matt's Senior as im only about a 1 hour and half from slough at the most

I believe that I was the first or second person to have the upgrade after the original free upgrade. I had been in contact with Matt since I first got wind of the process. No I was not a guinea pig (I did offer to be a beta tester but they were happy with the experience that they had had). They were probably feeling their way and I got lucky. Good luck in your negotiations.
post #1470 of 1964 Old 01-29-2015, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Seems they still haven't got their act together. Unfortunately this is why LG with all their tech and new fantastic designs will never be an A player. They have no clue how to handle problems. Unfortunately the same person you speak to about your TV 2 minutes prior was probably dealing with someones washing machine problem.

Having moved on from the La9700 to another LG TV their quality control is terrible. Their OLED which is certainly the nicest screen I have owned is still plagued with issues that are just stupid things that all add up to be a huge shame.

Hope everyone gets their 4K Upgraded sorted, either paid or not. It was definitely worth getting it done. WebOS changes the TV for th e better by far.

Good luck all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 65la9700 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Smart Led Tv , Lg Electronics 55la9700 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Smart Led Tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page