AVS Forum banner

Brand with most soap opera effect?

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  southern bell 
#1 ·
In the market for a new 55" around 1000$ and what I'd really like is the most soap opera effect possible

#7 ·
Me too.

Get a Samsung, it has the best most SOE tweakings options.

The (Auto) Motion Plus with 2 adjustments: Blur Reduction 0-10 and Judder Reduction 0-10 for fine tuning.

And there's also the option LED Motion backlight strobing for further reduction blurring.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmvette  /t/1493496/brand-with-most-soap-opera-effect/0_40#post_23804326

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloHelloHello  /t/1493496/brand-with-most-soap-opera-effect/0_100#post_23803525

In the market for a new 55" around 1000$ and what I'd really like is the most soap opera effect possible

why? most people hate that and turn it off.

Well, in spite of burn in, image retention, buzz, heat, fan noise, etc. most folks around here respond to every LCD post with 'Get a Plasma' too....

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller64  /t/1493496/brand-with-most-soap-opera-effect/0_20#post_23812882

If I get a 60f8000 which settings do I use to get the most of the soap opera effect?

What ever your tv mfr calls motion interpolation. For example, on an LG it's called TruMotion. You could probably Google the information.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvesterUT  /t/1493496/brand-with-most-soap-opera-effect#post_23804162

Samsung has some really high settings for this "effect." My Sammy from 2008 can look ridiculous if I set it to high. I prefer "low."

What settings on a Samsung 60F8000 would I change to make it look like the highest soap opera effect?

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoned  /t/1493496/brand-with-most-soap-opera-effect/0_20#post_23814901

LGs TruMotion user de-judder setting can be set to 10 which really increases the SOE. For some reason they did away with the de-blur adjustment.

On the newer models? My 2010 has individual judder and blur settings.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller64  /t/1493496/brand-with-most-soap-opera-effect#post_23812882

If I get a 60f8000 which settings do I use to get the most of the soap opera effect?

Look for LED MotionPlus in advanced picture settings. Off is no effect, play around with the others. At least that's what it's called on my Samsung D8000. Maybe they renamed it due to customer backlash. Lot of reviews where people returned this TV because they couldn't figure out how to turn it off, or know that it could be turned off. It actually looks ok on some content, but for TV watching its just atrocious in my opinion.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1493496/brand-with-most-soap-opera-effect#post_23805125

Television viewing is a personal preference experience. There is no right or wrong.

That's a common misconception. Unlike audio, there actually are very clear standards and calibration targets for video. There is a very well defined "right" and "wrong" in video. Having that industry-wide standard is the only way that TV and movies can be made. Otherwise, all of the color correction, detail, motion and director's intent would vary wildly depending on which TV was used during the production process!

Every display that was used to actually make the content was calibrated to the exact same industry standards. In other words, every display looked identical. If a display does not look identical to that industry standard, it is wrong -- no ifs, ands, or buts. As a result, the only thing that makes sense when you are watching at home is to also adhere to those same industry standards. That is what ISF and THX calibrators are for. They're not adjusting your TV "to taste", or just eyeballing the results.

If you want to deviate from the industry standards, yes, as a viewer, that is your prerogative. But there IS a right and wrong. If you're aware of that, and you decide that you want to be wrong, that's ok

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstReflect  /t/1493496/brand-with-most-soap-opera-effect/20_20#post_23819216

That's a common misconception. Unlike audio, there actually are very clear standards and calibration targets for video. There is a very well defined "right" and "wrong" in video. Having that industry-wide standard is the only way that TV and movies can be made. Otherwise, all of the color correction, detail, motion and director's intent would vary wildly depending on which TV was used during the production process!

Every display that was used to actually make the content was calibrated to the exact same industry standards. In other words, every display looked identical. If a display does not look identical to that industry standard, it is wrong -- no ifs, ands, or buts. As a result, the only thing that makes sense when you are watching at home is to also adhere to those same industry standards. That is what ISF and THX calibrators are for. They're not adjusting your TV "to taste", or just eyeballing the results.

If you want to deviate from the industry standards, yes, as a viewer, that is your prerogative. But there IS a right and wrong. If you're aware of that, and you decide that you want to be wrong, that's ok

We're discussing the SOE, not calibrating a tv to rec.709 standards.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller64  /t/1493496/brand-with-most-soap-opera-effect#post_23819591

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballis  /t/1493496/brand-with-most-soap-opera-effect#post_23817838

Samsung has pretty good soap opera. I love it aswell and Max out the settings.

Do I go to Auto Motion Plus then Custom and set judder reduction to 10 and blur reduction to 10 ?
I finally got a pretty good SOE on mine today by messing around with the PO settings some more.  I posted my exact PO settings in my thread named "Tips for amping up MI" if you're interested

Let me know how they work for you if you try them out
 I have the Samsung UN55FH6030 btw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.