Shopping for new TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jasondoow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a new TV for the living room. We sit about 13' back and have 3 big windows in the room also. I'm wondering if a 65" or 70" would work for the room? Right now currently have a 73" DLP but it appears to big. Was looking at the Samsung UN65F7100 or the Vizio M651D. Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated....
jasondoow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
myoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Your DLP is pretty deep - You would gain over a foot of depth once that set is gone. I would stick with at least a 70 inch panel if you sit 13 feet away.
josephpearson likes this.
myoda is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
colour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fenton, Mo.
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
What do you mean the 73" appears too big? You'll regret going with a 65" With the depth difference alone a 65" will appear much smaller. I would look for at least a 70" with the least amount of glare from the screen. I also have a 73" DLP and there's no way I'll be downsizing. I had a 65" monster and went with a 65" DLP, returned it for the 73" because of the depth alone it looked too small. I imagine I will experience the same thing going from a DLP to a flat panel so I anticipate my next TV will be a 80".
colour is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 5,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Totally agree with the posters:) above. Do NOT go smaller! Not only will the set be further away, it'll be higher quality (even mid grade lcds have higher PQ than dlp RPTVs IMO) so you'll want to be - or feel - relatively closer.

I went from a 70" to a 75" and my only thought now is that my next TV will definitely be an 84" 4K set, and I sit 11' from mine...

I have the 75F6400 fwiw and I love it. And both Sharp and Vizio ship 80" sets so you have a lot of choices.

Good luck!

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
colour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fenton, Mo.
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Totally agree with the posters:) above. Do NOT go smaller! Not only will the set be further away, it'll be higher quality (even mid grade lcds have higher PQ than dlp RPTVs IMO) so you'll want to be - or feel - relatively closer.

I went from a 70" to a 75" and my only thought now is that my next TV will definitely be an 84" 4K set, and I sit 11' from mine...

I have the 75F6400 fwiw and I love it. And both Sharp and Vizio ship 80" sets so you have a lot of choices.

Good luck!

Don't know if I agree with that statement. I guess it depends on what your definition is of higher quality-PQ.
colour is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
myoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

Don't know if I agree with that statement. I guess it depends on what your definition is of higher quality-PQ.

Better picture quality begins with a good source and a higher grade panel.

Don't think mid grade led/lcd displays had better pq than DLP - Samsung and Mits gave you the biggest bang for the buck, back in the days of Circuit City... I'm 11 feet away from my set. Upgraded from a 65 inch DLP to a 70 inch LED. Did so to regain space in the lr. Had the space to go to 80, but not the budget at the time. The OP might want to seriously consider scaling up to an entry level 80 inch or a 75 inch Samsung - both available for about 3K.
myoda is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jasondoow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I think the 73" is to big for our new living room (from the back wall where the TV is to where our couch is its 13"), I don't know if the picture just needs adjustment or what but it gives me a headache watching TV. The TV is about 5 years old and just moved it across the country. Also I have 2 white spots that appeared on the screen, I think they are pixels that are going out. Any suggestions? I would love to keep the TV if I can get it working correctly

jasondoow is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 10-06-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 5,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Guys come on. RPTV DLPs, even the highest level mits sets, always had the worst kind of hazy look and meh perceived contrast. How you could prefer that to today's mid level LED sets is completely beyond me. Add in rainbows and related color wheel artifacts (headaches as the OP experiences) etc and I don't think it's particularly close. Different strokes and all but, there is a reason beyond bulk that those sets went the way of the dodo. It also occurs to me that pehaps you've not seen today's (2013) mid level sets at their best. The Panny ST plasmas, the Samsung F6400 led lcds, etc. They're remarkable for the size/price. And obviously things only get better as you go up the cost curve.

For the OP you'd be better off asking for help in the owners thread for your set. There is a RPTV forum here at avs. Hopefully there are still enough people active in it to try to help you. That said, and as a former DLP owner myself, if you are susceptible to headache inducing rainbows, then that's pretty much that. No way to remove them with settings or tweaking. I also think that it's very possible that your perception that the screen is too big has more to do with the bulk of the set and the headaches you're experiencing than the screen size itself.

Good luck either way.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 10-06-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
colour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fenton, Mo.
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondoow View Post

I think the 73" is to big for our new living room (from the back wall where the TV is to where our couch is its 13"), I don't know if the picture just needs adjustment or what but it gives me a headache watching TV. The TV is about 5 years old and just moved it across the country. Also I have 2 white spots that appeared on the screen, I think they are pixels that are going out. Any suggestions? I would love to keep the TV if I can get it working correctly

The DLP chip is what's causing the white dots. From what I understand it's not an extremely difficult repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Guys come on. RPTV DLPs, even the highest level mits sets, always had the worst kind of hazy look and meh perceived contrast. How you could prefer that to today's mid level LED sets is completely beyond me. Add in rainbows and related color wheel artifacts (headaches as the OP experiences) etc and I don't think it's particularly close. Different strokes and all but, there is a reason beyond bulk that those sets went the way of the dodo. It also occurs to me that pehaps you've not seen today's (2013) mid level sets at their best. The Panny ST plasmas, the Samsung F6400 led lcds, etc. They're remarkable for the size/price. And obviously things only get better as you go up the cost curve.

For the OP you'd be better off asking for help in the owners thread for your set. There is a RPTV forum here at avs. Hopefully there are still enough people active in it to try to help you. That said, and as a former DLP owner myself, if you are susceptible to headache inducing rainbows, then that's pretty much that. No way to remove them with settings or tweaking. I also think that it's very possible that your perception that the screen is too big has more to do with the bulk of the set and the headaches you're experiencing than the screen size itself.

Good luck either way.

There are a lot of people that prefer the DLP picture over LED. I don't care what brand or technology it is I've had to enter the service menu to tweak the picture of every set I've had for the past 15 years. The very first thing I do is turn down the contrast and fix the skin tones I agree DLP lacks a little contrast but not the torch mode every LED, LCD, Plasma is capable of. They quit making DLP"s due to the thin hang on the wall marketing crap and the profit margins compared to flat panels. It had nothing to do with the picture quality. Besides the percentage of people that actually calibrate their TV's properly is very low, they like them with over saturated color and torch mode contrast. As I said depends on what your definition of higher quality is but first you have to know what a properly calibrated TV is supposed to look like.

The OP may very well be sensitive to RBE but it doesn't matter at this point because his new TV won't be a DLP. The rear projection forum is still quite active even for CRT models.

I've had people say "How come this looks so much better on your TV?" when viewing my DLP.
colour is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 5,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Well colour like I said different strokes but as you point out most people don't properly set up their displays. Maybe if they did they wouldn't consider your DLP superior wink.gif

And for the record stuck mirrors in a DLP chip - the likely source of those dots - may be a simple fix, but requires the DLP chip itself to be swapped out afaik. Between the part and the labor you're talking about at least a few hundred bucks if not more. Material given the price of new sets in 2013.

And I stand by my assertion that quality absolutely contributed to plasmas and lcds forcing dlp RPTV (and all other RPTV) to extinction. Bulk played a factor obviously, likely the primary one. But PQ matters. The superior contrast I spoke of was not about torch mode but about a combination of superior blacks (sometimes far superior) as well as superior brightness. Stretch the ratio in both directions and obviously great things happen.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying your set. As I said different strokes.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Member
 
josephpearson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've got a similar situation, a living room that is 16 feet across and a rptv (crt) Mits 65413 (which still has a very good picture other than a tiny amount of burn in that only I see and excellent blacks after ten years). I'm replacing it with a Vizio M801d-a3 which is due to be delivered this weekend. Adjusted for inflation, it's actually costing me slightly less than the Mits. I got the 80 because I realized that the flat panel will be a couple of feet closer to the wall and the perceived size would be less than what I have now even if I got the 70 inch.
josephpearson is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
myoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpearson View Post

I've got a similar situation, a living room that is 16 feet across and a rptv (crt) Mits 65413 (which still has a very good picture other than a tiny amount of burn in that only I see and excellent blacks after ten years). I'm replacing it with a Vizio M801d-a3 which is due to be delivered this weekend. Adjusted for inflation, it's actually costing me slightly less than the Mits. I got the 80 because I realized that the flat panel will be a couple of feet closer to the wall and the perceived size would be less than what I have now even if I got the 70 inch.

That 65413 is a beast - 300 plus pounds. One of the problems with CRT based sets, besides image retention, is the shiny surface covering the screen. I had the same issue with a 51 inch Sony. Screen reflections are less of a problem with some led/lcd panels with a matte surface.

http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32697
Mits 65413
51012832.jpg 121k .jpg file
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondoow View Post

I think the 73" is to big for our new living room (from the back wall where the TV is to where our couch is its 13"), I don't know if the picture just needs adjustment or what but it gives me a headache watching TV. The TV is about 5 years old and just moved it across the country. Also I have 2 white spots that appeared on the screen, I think they are pixels that are going out. Any suggestions? I would love to keep the TV if I can get it working correctly

Do you have a Samsung or a Mitsubishi DLP? Samsung has fixed some of their DLP sets out of warranty - do a search on AVS for the model number of your television. It's either a light engine or DLP dmd chip, or a combination of the two. It might be more cost efficient to get the old unit fixed, and cleaned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51012832.jpg (120.9 KB, 2 views)
myoda is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Member
 
josephpearson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
When I got my Mits, I did some research over at the old (apparently, I'm not permitted to name the forum which was named for man's best friend). Helpful people there taught me how to remove the reflective screen. Huge improvement.
josephpearson is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 10-08-2013, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jasondoow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post


That 65413 is a beast - 300 plus pounds. One of the problems with CRT based sets, besides image retention, is the shiny surface covering the screen. I had the same issue with a 51 inch Sony. Screen reflections are less of a problem with some led/lcd panels with a matte surface.

http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32697
Mits 65413
51012832.jpg 121k .jpg file
Do you have a Samsung or a Mitsubishi DLP? Samsung has fixed some of their DLP sets out of warranty - do a search on AVS for the model number of your television. It's either a light engine or DLP dmd chip, or a combination of the two. It might be more cost efficient to get the old unit fixed, and cleaned.

 

I have the Mitsubishi DLP

jasondoow is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off