Samsung UNxxF6400: worth the price premium over F6300? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about upgrading my 6 year old living room TV (32 inch 720p Toshiba REGZA) to a larger 1080p set, and over the course of my research, I've been drawn to the Samsung F6300 and F6400 series...I've seen really good reviews for both, and they seem to offer a lot of features for the price (as much as I like the look of the F7100 and F8000 sets, I just can't justify the price premium...).

As far as I can tell, the main differences between the F6400 over the F6300 are:
1. the inclusion of 3D capability
2. increased "Clear Motion" rate (480 vs 240 for the F6300 series), even though the "true" refresh rate for both is 120 Hz
3. inclusion of Micro Dimming on the 6400

I don't care about 3-D capability; from what I've read, many see it as more of a gimmick with limited content than something worthwhile to look for in a TV.

Having said that, I'm wondering if the other features present on the 6400 models (the increased "clear motion" and Micro Dimming) make it worth the price premium...I've noticed that for the 46 and 50 inch models, the price difference is $150 to $170 (I'm in the US). I took a look at the 55 inch models side by side at Best Buy earlier today, and I could not tell a difference in the picture (though Best Buy was only showing ads on the screens, as opposed to sports, movies, or anything remotely close to what I'd sit down and watch).

My wife and I like to watch hockey and I like to watch college/pro football games; we also like to watch a lot of action/sci-fi movies (eg, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Firefly/Serenity, generic blockbusters with lots of explosions biggrin.gif ). Either a 46 inch or 50 inch would be appropriate for our room size and sitting distance, I think (our setup won't accomodate a set that's much larger than that).

Anyway, what does the AVS community think? Thank you in advance.

-Dr Serenity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-06-2013, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
According to Cnet the 6400 is NOT worth it if you won't be using 3D because the picture quality is basically the same.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un46f6300/4505-6482_7-35647675.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55f6400/4505-6482_7-35647805.html
post #3 of 4 Old 10-06-2013, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I'd definitely get the 6400 if you're watching at all in a dim room or in the dark. The Micro Dimming will help combat anomalies in backlight uniformity, which will be painfully noticeable a dim-to-dark viewing environment when watching letterboxed or mixed-contrast content. I don't think the price delta is so much that the 6400 shouldn't be considered; $150 over the course of the next 3-7 years (or however long you plan on keeping he TV) really isn't much.

The 6400 also includes Bluetooth since it has 3D. This allows you to connect a Bluetooth keyboard to use with select smart apps and the web browser (Samsung makes their own). You are also able to link to any 2013 Samsung soundbar wirelessly via Soundshare. Plus, the 6400 comes with the Smart Touch remote with voice interaction (same remote as the F7100, F7500, F8000) while the 6300 comes with a standard remote.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #4 of 4 Old 10-06-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the insightful responses. I took a look at the CNET reviews linked above; they didn't seem that impressed with the black levels of either set, though they seem to think that you get a better bang for the buck with the 6300. I'm now actually considering the Panasonic E60 series of LED TVs, since I'm seeing pretty rave reviews about their PQ when compared to comparably priced sets (in particular, their deep blacks for an LED TV).

I know that Plasmas will beat any of these when it comes to blacks and picture uniformity (at least that's the impression that I get), but I am concerned about the weight of the set vs an LCD of a similar size; also, the TV is going in a room that gets a fair bit of sunlight, even with the blinds fully shut.

Anyway, thanks guys. Looks like I've got a little more homework to do smile.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page