Worth the extra $$$ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-08-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am looking at getting a new TV and am deciding on the Vizio M651 or the Samsung UN65F7. I see there is about a $600 price difference I am trying to figure out why. Are you just paying for the name or is there actually a difference in the two that makes paying the $600 difference worth it??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Personally, and without knowing which one is $600 more, I'd go for the Samsung instead of the Vizio. I just think that Samsung has a better history of building quality tv's than Vizio has. But that's just my opinion.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Personally, and without knowing which one is $600 more, I'd go for the Samsung instead of the Vizio. I just think that Samsung has a better history of building quality tv's than Vizio has. But that's just my opinion.

The Samsung is $600 more. Just trying to figure our what makes the Samsung worth the extra $600. I don't really see anything different in the specs except for the Samsung has built in wifi 

post #4 of 8 Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 PM

Liked: 37
I can think of a few things off the top of my head:

1) Samsung charges more because they can. Only half kidding. wink.gif

2) Vizio started out targeting the lower half of the mass-market, at which they have been very successful. That's less true today, as they're selling better, fuller-featured sets, but they still aren't as full-featured by comparison with tier-one brands. For instance, AFAIK, you won't find full CMS settings on any Vizio, as the settings options are limited.

3) Processing. Specifically picture processing, and this is something quite apart from the panel's characteristics. I'd be willing to bet that Vizio is at least a year behind Samsung in that regard.

That last point requires some elaboration, so I hope you'll indulge me.

Plasma fans to the contrary, LED/LCD has seen significant, incremental improvements over the last 6-7 years. I got one of the first 120 Hz LCDs with frame interpolation in 2007, I think it was. (A Philips 47", when they still sold good TVs in North America.) At that time and for a few years thereafter, the difference between top-end and bottom-end sets as to picture processing was very obvious (to me and many others, anyway). Over those years, motion has improved, interpolation (if you care for it) has improved, you can now have backlight scanning, etc. Now, these improvements eventually find their way into lower-end sets, of course. But tier-one manufacturers, of which Samsung is unquestionably one, are always improving their sets. Their reputation depends on it.

How much difference, then, is there between those two TVs as to processing? I confess I dunno, but probably less than in years past. Evidently not enough for the average TV buyer to care much about. For AVS members, it's more arguable. tongue.gif

Mind you, I hold no brief for either brand. I still remember the Samsung capacitor fiasco and the terrible way they handled it. So I've avoided them. I considered Vizio when shopping for a 70" set, but decided on a Sharp instead, in part at least for the fine control possible in the picture settings. I haven't regretted it.

Good luck whatever you get.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-08-2013, 06:32 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondoow View Post

I am looking at getting a new TV and am deciding on the Vizio M651 or the Samsung UN65F7. I see there is about a $600 price difference I am trying to figure out why. Are you just paying for the name or is there actually a difference in the two that makes paying the $600 difference worth it??

I work around TVs all day. The difference between samsungs and vizios are night and day. The picture quality that is. And something about the M series causes them to run very very hot to the touch.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-08-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloHelloHello View Post

I work around TVs all day. The difference between samsungs and vizios are night and day. The picture quality that is. And something about the M series causes them to run very very hot to the touch.

You don't specify but I assume you prefer the Samsung? I have an older model Sharp that I still Like but may get something larger and one Vizio has a great review. I would like to know who has the best off the air tuner because my attic antenna sometimes drops out one of our local stations.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by de novo View Post

I would like to know who has the best off the air tuner because my attic antenna sometimes drops out one of our local stations.

I'd probably give the nod to LG's as having the best ATSC tuners but I think most new tv's nowadays have very good ATSC tuners. Having an attic antenna is probably the problem and not the tuner. Your best off to place an antenna on your roof. You can get good reception with an attic antenna but it can be very problematic for lots of reasons and a tuner probably won't help a lot.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-2013, 01:27 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by de novo View Post

You don't specify but I assume you prefer the Samsung? I have an older model Sharp that I still Like but may get something larger and one Vizio has a great review. I would like to know who has the best off the air tuner because my attic antenna sometimes drops out one of our local stations.

I know the M series is their better series but I still don't trust a brand where I hear so many customers say they've had issues with theirs not long after they bought it, nor do I trust a brand that's sole purpose is to come out with the cheapest or biggest tvs possible. So while I have no doubt that the M series is going to look good I still feel that I can't trust them.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page