Sharp LC-90LE745U vs. LC-90LE657U - Which is Better? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-09-2013, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, folks smile.gif

If I don't care about price differences or any sort of internet features, which, out of Sharp's two current 90" models, has the better picture quality?

I've tried to read any reviews I could find, and went through the two product threads here, but I haven't been able to discern if the 745U has a clear picture quality advantage over the 657U, or vice versa. I've seen mentions of them being basically identical, but I've also seen some indications that the 745U is more easily calibrated to an accurate greyscale, gamma, and colour accuracy.

One of my main concerns is the dejudder processing. I cannot stand the "soap opera effect", and I do not want any trace of it. I was made a little gun-shy after models like the LC-80LE844U where, even if you turned off all of the motion processing, frame interpolation, and film dejudder processing, those controls never actually turned all of it off, and the "soap opera effect" remained no matter what. Does the 90" 745U or 657U have this problem?

So, not concerned with price differences or online feature differences. I just want the best 90" model in terms of picture quality, with an accurate, properly calibrated image with as few processing or other picture artifacts as possible. I've seen mentions of "banding" and uneven backlight issues on both models, so there doesn't seem to be a clear advantage for either model in that realm. But I'd gladly take any advice as to whether the 745U or 657U has a better quality control track record, as well.

Thanks so much for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-09-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Own the 745 and evaluated the 657 before purchasing.

No difference in the image, which is to be expected as the panels are identical. The "advantage" of the 657 are BT 3D glasses, much faster CPU for using the apps, and few other non-consequential items.

Bottom line: Buy the one you can get the best deal on. I bought the 745 from Best Buy during a special 24-hour sale a few months ago for $5999 delivered, and it's been an excellent set. Love it.

As far as SOE goes, I've owned multiple Sharp Aquos line LCDs (60, 70, and now the 90) and all are fine in terms of eliminating SOE when set up properly. If you're still seeing it on the 80", it's you, not the TV. I'm sensitive to SOE myself and will repeat again that I own multiple sets in this line and have 100% turned off SOE on all of them.

If you're still seeing it despite that...well, you might want to think about why you think you're still suffering from it despite literally thousands of Sharp owners on this board agreeing with me and confirning that it was eliminated by turning off the processing tweaks on these sets. wink.gif
post #3 of 4 Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Lovely. Thanks for the info.

In regards to my non-defeatable SOE comment: I already own an LC-70LE735U. It's fine. Turning off the frame interpolation and film dejudder works as it's supposed to. Those controls work on most other Sharp models, as well. It was specifically the LC-80LE844U and LC-70LE640U where there was, apparently, a software programming error that prevented the dejudder processing from ever fully deactivating, no matter what settings were used. Perhaps it was later fixed with a firmware update. I do not know. I only ever saw mention of the problem in that 2012 model year. But I wanted to make sure it was well and truly fixed, and not still present in either of the 90" 745U or 657U models. Given that the 745U was part of that "problem" 2012 year, I felt it was worth asking.

I hope that perhaps someone else can confirm?

Thanks so much.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-10-2014, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The LC-90LE657U supports DTS audio output whereas the LC-90LE745U doesn't.

http://files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/...2014_TV_OM.pdf

http://files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/...0LE745U_en.pdf
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp 90 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Lc 90le745u , Sharp Lc 60le657u
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page