post #721 of 1085 Old 06-11-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankAbbott70 View Post

With the new AVR's coming out with HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and 4K/60hz, which do you think is better for up-scaling vs. the X reality pro engine that is on my 65-850a.  I heard some really good things about the Qdeo chip on Onkyo's and Integra's.  Anyone have any insight in this ever changing landscape of 4K?  I guess i'll have to just buy it to really know so I can test, but has anyone already pitted the reality pro and Qdeo chip against each other for up-scaling?  Thanks in advance for the help.  

I would say trial and error. I personally would suggest just using the TV scaler. If you use a 3rd party upscaler your tv will still try to upscale that image and it may make it look fuzzy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1085 Old 06-12-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So trying to decide between 4k and non for my next tv. my current choices are either last years:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-...&skuId=1912267

or this years:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-...950b&cp=1&lp=1

the obvious reasoning of "4k is higher so should be better" rings true, but I'm wondering if it would make a huge difference given like 90% of the things I would be able to watch isn't 4k but would be up scaled. then you also have a "last years tech vs this years tech" question like the difference in panels.

any opinions would be welcomed! I game 40% of the time and watch blurays / netflix 60% of the time. I'm hoping some of you have used and played games and such on this tv and can share some info about it. I'm really torn whether I even need the 4k. the better general specs makes me think that alone makes it the better buy.
post #723 of 1085 Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Bob4K

Hey guys,
I bought the XBR-65X850A on Monday and when I found out about the streaming issue I was ready to call up BB and start screaming. Thanks to you guys I realize the streaming issue is nothing. This is a great TV and the picture quality in 1080 is amazing. Cant wait for 4K. I came across this article and felt even better. I just got Comcast X1 installed last week and love it. Hopefully with the next gen box streaming wont be any kind of problem.
http://www.multichannel.com/news/con...v-deals/356561

If you have a fry's close to you, the x1 is only $150 new in box. That could easily hold you over with 4k content until there are cheaper 4k streaming devices

like you said, if comcast gets on the 4k bandwagon then your future DVR's are sure to have the codec.

Thanks for the info. I could not wait for the x10 to come out, so I had a friend who lives in the Atlanta area to stop by Fry's and pick one up for me. :-) Now I have to wait for when he ships it to me.
post #724 of 1085 Old 06-12-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayase View Post
So trying to decide between 4k and non for my next tv. my current choices are either last years:

or this years:

the obvious reasoning of "4k is higher so should be better" rings true, but I'm wondering if it would make a huge difference given like 90% of the things I would be able to watch isn't 4k but would be up scaled. then you also have a "last years tech vs this years tech" question like the difference in panels.

any opinions would be welcomed! I game 40% of the time and watch blurays / netflix 60% of the time. I'm hoping some of you have used and played games and such on this tv and can share some info about it. I'm really torn whether I even need the 4k. the better general specs makes me think that alone makes it the better buy.
I can't speak for the 1080p Sony but I currently have the XBR-55X850A and a LG 55LA9650 which is LG's 2013 4k tv. I can say that I am very pleased with the 4k Sony. As far as gaming, it has a 40ms input lag and I have had zero issues with gaming as long as I set the sony 4k to game mode. Compared to the LG with 90ms input lag or so. Games are still playable on the LG but the Sony is the better of the two for gaming (I know you aren't concerned with the LG, just thought I'd add.)

As far as bluray, the Sony is beautiful. I was initially disappointed with cable tv as everything looked somewhat cloudy. It wasn't till I had the tv side by side with the 4k LG that I realized it was cloudy on both sets so it was probably just the signal. One thing I can say is the LG is by far the brighter of the two sets. Not sure if brighter means better or not but it is very obvious. The LG at 50% backlight is brighter than the Sony at 100%.

I know you say you aren't that concerned with 4k right now as there is not much content but how long are you planning on using this tv? More than 2 years? How much 4k content do you think will be around 2 years from now? I think you should keep that in mind also.
post #725 of 1085 Old 06-12-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So went in to buy a fridge, walked out ordering a KD-65X8504a, the Australian version of this set with a bonus PS4 deal! Haha. Replacing our 46" Samsung LAF81 from 2007, so a big upgrade in size, resolution and our first 3D set. The 9004a was $500 more and given I already have a surround sound and found it too glossy, very happy with the 8504a. Also the 40ms input lag was a big decider over the Samsung and LG's in the 70's, although I did like Web-OS.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get US apps running on the AU TV alongside AU apps? I use a VPN spoofer to subscribe to Hulu and Netflix, because our services here in Australia are god awful. Also does the screen doubling support Widi? Or just miracast?

Unfortunately for me the reason we got this TV is because I had a motorbike accident, resulting in my left thumb being permanently in the "Xbox" pose, so I wont be able to use the PS4. Might buy another later when Sony upgrade it for 4k, but currently it seems worse for media than my Xbox One so I'll be selling it.

Last edited by dknigs; 06-12-2014 at 08:13 PM.
post #726 of 1085 Old 06-12-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayase View Post

or this years:

ayase,

I was in the same boat and chose the X850a over the W850a because for me, this form isn't about what you "need" as what you "want". :-) And having the extra resolution won't hurt. This is still a damn good 1080p tv. I play games 40-50% of the time on my tv and haven't had any issues playing Titanfall on XB1 and TombRaider/FF 14 on PS4.
post #727 of 1085 Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by knlmwq View Post
I can't speak for the 1080p Sony but I currently have the XBR-55X850A and a LG 55LA9650 which is LG's 2013 4k tv. I can say that I am very pleased with the 4k Sony. As far as gaming, it has a 40ms input lag and I have had zero issues with gaming as long as I set the sony 4k to game mode. Compared to the LG with 90ms input lag or so. Games are still playable on the LG but the Sony is the better of the two for gaming (I know you aren't concerned with the LG, just thought I'd add.)

As far as bluray, the Sony is beautiful. I was initially disappointed with cable tv as everything looked somewhat cloudy. It wasn't till I had the tv side by side with the 4k LG that I realized it was cloudy on both sets so it was probably just the signal. One thing I can say is the LG is by far the brighter of the two sets. Not sure if brighter means better or not but it is very obvious. The LG at 50% backlight is brighter than the Sony at 100%.

I know you say you aren't that concerned with 4k right now as there is not much content but how long are you planning on using this tv? More than 2 years? How much 4k content do you think will be around 2 years from now? I think you should keep that in mind also.
thank you for your feedback!! it's most appreciated. that is very true. weird to say I'm not even thinking of the 4k as a 4k but simply a tv with better specs (i.e better panel, motion 960) then it simply having the capability to do 4k. I should also mention there's a local deal where the 4k would only really be $600ish more than the 65w950b. but I guess I'm still trying to figure out if, spec-wise, the x850a is better than the newer w950b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedra12 View Post
ayase,

I was in the same boat and chose the X850a over the W850a because for me, this form isn't about what you "need" as what you "want". :-) And having the extra resolution won't hurt. This is still a damn good 1080p tv. I play games 40-50% of the time on my tv and haven't had any issues playing Titanfall on XB1 and TombRaider/FF 14 on PS4.
hahaha. that is exactly what I'm trying to battle. my "want" vs my "need". but if I can validate the 4k tv is better not only cause it offers 4k, then my purchase can be justified!
post #728 of 1085 Old 06-12-2014, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess it all depends on your preferences. I look back over the last five years and hardly did any streaming on my TV. I saw season 2 of House of Cards, and cancelled Netflix. I saw how great the 65x85a looked in 1080p, Blu ray, and broadcast and also with the 4k demo. I mostly watch cable on demand movies and some TV shows and they all look awesome. I didn't mind spending a little more on this TV [plus the great sale price BB has right now helped], and now I'm ready for the future.
post #729 of 1085 Old 06-14-2014, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
just bought one of these - the 55X8504A (nz/au version). Bought it for $2,991 which is about £1,500, plus I get a free PS4 via redemption. Reckon it was a good deal?

Also how do i find out if mine is HDCP 2.2?
post #730 of 1085 Old 06-14-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachpie View Post
just bought one of these - the 55X8504A (nz/au version). Bought it for $2,991 which is about £1,500, plus I get a free PS4 via redemption. Reckon it was a good deal?

Not sure if you can order from bestbuy but it is $1999.99 currently: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-...850a&cp=1&lp=1

Some people were able to get it from Frys.com for $1697 a couple weeks back
post #731 of 1085 Old 06-14-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Not sure if you can order from bestbuy but it is $1999.99 currently: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-...850a&cp=1&lp=1

Some people were able to get it from Frys.com for $1697 a couple weeks back
Ah cool that males me happy. I should have said that my price was in NZD so after the redemption of the PS4 it's pretty similar.
post #732 of 1085 Old 06-14-2014, 12:55 PM

nm

Last edited by spinachpie; 06-14-2014 at 01:18 PM.
post #733 of 1085 Old 06-14-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Question about my note 3 videos...

When I record a video in 3840x2160 and then transfer that file to a USB and play on the X850A, does it automatically downscale it when playing the file on the TV?
I am pretty sure USB playback does not work on the A series.
post #734 of 1085 Old 06-14-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Quote:
Question about my note 3 videos...

When I record a video in 3840x2160 and then transfer that file to a USB and play on the X850A, does it automatically downscale it when playing the file on the TV?
I am pretty sure USB playback does not work on the A series.
Yeah sorry, I didn't confirm what I was playing. It was playing the 1080p files from my Note 3 and not the higher res vids
post #735 of 1085 Old 06-14-2014, 04:36 PM

I cant seem to find a way to charge the active 3d glasses... the little latch on top of the battery area won't lift off? Anyone know?
post #736 of 1085 Old 06-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
I cant seem to find a way to charge the active 3d glasses... the little latch on top of the battery area won't lift off? Anyone know?
They are not rechargeable. You have to replace them. It uses a round watch style battery.
post #737 of 1085 Old 06-14-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
Quote:
They are not rechargeable. You have to replace them. It uses a round watch style battery.

Oh right. Well that makes sense as I was about to break the things haha!
Carlos_E likes this.
post #738 of 1085 Old 06-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh right. Well that makes sense as I was about to break the things haha!
Don't do that.
post #739 of 1085 Old 06-14-2014, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:

That's frustrating, how long do you get roughly out of the batteries?
post #740 of 1085 Old 06-14-2014, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The 500As claim 100 hours on a CR2025 battery. Before you go paying $5 per battery for replacements, check sellers on amazon for cheap watch batteries and get 5 for $3. Some may be fakes though, so buy from sellers with good reviews.

Last edited by scottman; 06-14-2014 at 11:38 PM.
post #741 of 1085 Old 06-15-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknigs View Post
Quote:
Quote:

That's frustrating, how long do you get roughly out of the batteries?

Since finding out I don't mind actually. I always hate charging my controllers and glasses. I doubt i'll even use 100 hours of 3d but if I do, knowing its only a few bucks for a battery makes it ok.

I am loving this set so far. AustinJerrys settings for the 900a work great for this TV and my Ps4 looks fantastic on here.

Not bothered about the codecs right now for streaming or playing movies. I know when 4k gets off the ground I will have an external player to play those files as the TV will never be the best source of playing files.
post #742 of 1085 Old 06-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanel View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by LookN2Find 

Oh WOW! We both said "O_O That's impressive!" when we saw the black levels. That is absolutely phenomenal! Hands down the most uniform set I've yet to see a picture of. I have to say I'm really happy for you guys. That's what a TV "should" look like.

THANK YOU, Scpanel & Daystar5 for taking the time out to upload some images!
SC, I've debated & debated on 4K, but here are my thoughts. Matching resolution is most wise, and I'm curious as to how large of a library Netflix is going to be able to offer in 4K with so many movies only watchable in standard definition. The other thing I think back to is when (not on my XBR2) I was watching a BluRay on my parents old 42" flat panel years back and at that size comparing to SD. I'm so picky I'd say I'm anal about picture from resolution to color accuracy to...you name it & I could see no note worthy difference between a standard DVD Vs a BluRay at that size.
I'm worried that with a panel displaying 2160 Native lines that it's going to introduce other issues with the content that is now standard to us (1080). Either the set will do an excellent job at up conversion or it could bring in distortion from content we're currently watching. Kind of like taking studio monitor headphones & playing an MP3 file and suddenly you hear popping, because it picks up every bit of detail, and you have to listen to all "Lossless" audio or else not only do you not get to experience what they're capable of if your listening to your old library, but you "must" play the finest audio files.
So, for me I (this is just my opinion) I would find it an honor to have the holy grail of 1080p since the majority of our content is 1080 lines, and in a couple of years I will look into larger, higher def TVs for 4K resolution, and in this next paragraph I'll explain why (which is mainly viewing distance).

I'm sorry if my rambling is too much, and you guys probably know far more than me, but here's the biggest thing that comes to my mind when considering 4k. At 70" in 4K we are going to see the clarity we do now on a theoretical 35" TV displaying half the resolution (1080p). It is noticeable, but with how little 480 Vs 1080 is noticeably different on a 35" panel is not by much, and I have a feeling 80-90" reasonably priced 4K panels will be out within a couple to a few years. I feel that with double the resolution, our panels will need to be double the size to give use the same "WOW" factor we're used to.

Maximum Viewing distance (recommended) - 4K Vs 2K/1080p at 65" :
1080p/65" = 10 Feet Maximum Recommendation
2160p/65" = 5 Feet Maximum Recommended viewing distance
(^ Lets be fair and say those are minimums & doubling that distance would be your maximum)

Viewing Distance Where Resolution Becomes Noticeable - 4K Vs 2K at 65" :
1080p/65" = 9 Feet
2160p/65" = 4 1/2 Feet (I'm assuming they mean "pixelation" at these distances)

From what I gather, 20ft (double the recommended seating/viewing distance) is the Maximum Acceptable viewing distance at 1080/65".
At 10ft you would hit that mark in 4K.
So, I would say for a test to stand double your viewing distance from your 1080 signals. This should give you an idea of resolution degradation if you were to swap to 4K at your current viewing distance when viewing 4K content. Your 1080 signals would probably be the same as what you see now at your current viewing distance, but I fear 4K content would not be able to be seen in all it's glory.

The link below shows that with 20/20 vision 10ft (15ft should still be acceptable in my opinion) is the recommended viewing distance to be able get the most benefit from 1080 on a 65" set & begins to lose it's PQ.
At 2160 (4K) you would need to be 5ft (I THINK 8ft would be "acceptable") away or less to see the quality of resolution on a 65" panel that you can at 10ft in 1080. So, paying extra, or waiting longer for 4K in the same dimensions would benefit, but only if you're twice as close to the screen, or else the screen would need to be double the size at a whopping 130" to get the same benefit. Of course if you're within the 5 Foot range your viewing experience would be a dream.
I feel 46" is reasonable at 1080 & 65" is in my opinion "perfect" for my viewing area. So, I could see myself going 4K, but not until it doubles the 46" mark at around 90-100". At my current viewing distance I would have to have no less than a 92" 4K panel to reap the full benefit of 4K that I am now with 1080 (being able to fully enjoy those extra pixels).
You guys probably already knew all of this and I'm really sorry if I was of any bother, but if not I hope this chart helps you with your decision and clarifies your thoughts on 4K

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

Edit: Now I feel extremely non-intelligent since this is a 4K TV. Sorry! Maybe the charts will give some insight if anyone isn't familiar.
Is what I think the viewing quality is like true? Do you really have to be so close to fully enjoy 4K, and if you don't mind could you guys tell me your seating distances?

I sit about 7-8 feet, and from the couch its about 6 away
I sit 12-13 feet from my tv. I saw the 65 inch at Best Buy today and seems PLENTY big enough for that seating distance......

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #743 of 1085 Old 06-15-2014, 03:50 PM

Hey guys I have a big green blob (about 20 inches across and 7-10 inches high) near the bottom of my screen.

It only appears when my TV goes to a really black screen and not always, but does it sound like a problem with the panel?

It is an ex-display model, so I don't know if that makes any difference?
post #744 of 1085 Old 06-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey guys I have a big green blob (about 20 inches across and 7-10 inches high) near the bottom of my screen.

It only appears when my TV goes to a really black screen and not always, but does it sound like a problem with the panel?

That does not sound good. Can you take a photo of it?

Last edited by Carlos_E; 06-15-2014 at 05:08 PM.
post #745 of 1085 Old 06-15-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

That does not sound good. Can you take a photo of it?
I'll try and take a picture of it tonight and post it out. It's very noticeable.
post #746 of 1085 Old 06-16-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I currently have the XBR-55X850A and a LG 55LA9650 which is LG's 2013 4k tv. I can say that I am very pleased with the 4k Sony. As far as gaming, it has a 40ms input lag and I have had zero issues with gaming as long as I set the sony 4k to game mode. Compared to the LG with 90ms input lag or so. Games are still playable on the LG but the Sony is the better of the two for gaming (I know you aren't concerned with the LG, just thought I'd add.)
I'm currently stuck between getting the XBR-55X850A or the LG 55LA9650 Between the 2, which has better blacks and better picture quality? as the LG has front facing speakers on the TV it self, whats the sound quality like vs the LG and the Sony?
post #747 of 1085 Old 06-16-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozh89 View Post
Quote:
I currently have the XBR-55X850A and a LG 55LA9650 which is LG's 2013 4k tv. I can say that I am very pleased with the 4k Sony. As far as gaming, it has a 40ms input lag and I have had zero issues with gaming as long as I set the sony 4k to game mode. Compared to the LG with 90ms input lag or so. Games are still playable on the LG but the Sony is the better of the two for gaming (I know you aren't concerned with the LG, just thought I'd add.)
I'm currently stuck between getting the XBR-55X850A or the LG 55LA9650 Between the 2, which has better blacks and better picture quality? as the LG has front facing speakers on the TV it self, whats the sound quality like vs the LG and the Sony?

I literally had both tvs in my home and spent 1 week debating which one I was going to keep. If money was absolutely no object, my decision to keep the Sony would have been a lot easier. As far as which has the better blacks its is definitely the Sony. I would give the edge to the Sony for overally picture quality as well. But there were certain instances where I preferred the LG over the Sony because the LG's picture was so much brighter. I did everything on the Sony but there was no way for it to match the brightness of the LG. The three main reasons I went with the Sony over the LG was the menu system on the Sony was more intuitive and pleasing to my eye, and also I wasn't a fan of the magic remote that came with the LG. Lastly, the input lag on the LG is higher than on the Sony (90ms vs 40ms). If you do not play video games, this does not matter at all. For me owning a PS4 and a WIIU. I definitely noticed a faster response when pressing a controller button on the Sony over the LG.

I purchased the LG for $1099 and the Sony for $1697. I feel at the price the LG is an absolute STEAL! It was very hard to return it and even now, I do not think the Sony is $600 better than the LG. If you aren't worried about playing video games(and to some extent, even if you are) then I would go with the LG if price matters to you at all.

The sound on the LG was better than the Sony.

Hope this helps
post #748 of 1085 Old 06-16-2014, 06:53 AM

thanks that helps alot
post #749 of 1085 Old 06-16-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I decided to keep the X1 considering the screaming clearance deal some of us got at Fry's & just wait for the reviews of X10 before spending $499.00. The best option is perhaps to just wait for third party 4k streaming devices which hopefully will materialize by end of the year unless Sony decides before then to add 3D & 4k streaming to PS4.
pedra12 likes this.

Vinod
post #750 of 1085 Old 06-16-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post
I decided to keep the X1 considering the screaming clearance deal some of us got at Fry's & just wait for the reviews of X10 before spending $499.00. The best option is perhaps to just wait for third party 4k streaming devices which hopefully will materialize by end of the year unless Sony decides before then to add 3D & 4k streaming to PS4.
I constantly go back and forth with exactly what you said. I got mine for dirt cheap at fry's and my biggest complaint with the player is how slow it downloads. I only have a 30mbps connection, but at best the x1 utilizes 10mpbs during downloads. That makes a movie take 3x longer to download than it should. For me personally, the extra price of the x10 will be worth it for that sole reason alone if it can actually download correctly. I may hold out or I may just use the mass amount of bestbuy reward points I racked up buying this TV during memorial day.
Carlos_E likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
kd-55x8504a , kd-65x8504a , Sony , Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page