Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post
I decided to keep the X1 considering the screaming clearance deal some of us got at Fry's & just wait for the reviews of X10 before spending $499.00. The best option is perhaps to just wait for third party 4k streaming devices which hopefully will materialize by end of the year unless Sony decides before then to add 3D & 4k streaming to PS4.
I constantly go back and forth with exactly what you said. I got mine for dirt cheap at fry's and my biggest complaint with the player is how slow it downloads. I only have a 30mbps connection, but at best the x1 utilizes 10mpbs during downloads. That makes a movie take 3x longer to download than it should. For me personally, the extra price of the x10 will be worth it for that sole reason alone if it can actually download correctly. I may hold out or I may just use the mass amount of bestbuy reward points I racked up buying this TV during memorial day.

Wow I wish I could get downloads going at 10mps lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 895 Old 06-16-2014, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can this set pass through HDMI audio 5.1 to an optical receiver? The installer told me it would, but all I'm able to select from my Xbox One is Stereo Uncompressed with this TV.
post #753 of 895 Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayase View Post
thank you for your feedback!! it's most appreciated. that is very true. weird to say I'm not even thinking of the 4k as a 4k but simply a tv with better specs (i.e better panel, motion 960) then it simply having the capability to do 4k. I should also mention there's a local deal where the 4k would only really be $600ish more than the 65w950b. but I guess I'm still trying to figure out if, spec-wise, the x850a is better than the newer w950b.

hahaha. that is exactly what I'm trying to battle. my "want" vs my "need". but if I can validate the 4k tv is better not only cause it offers 4k, then my purchase can be justified!
ayase,

Just curious. Did you ever make a decision?

-Almonz
post #754 of 895 Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 PM

Liked: 10
Hey guys so I just unboxed my new 65 in XBR 850a. I plugged in austinjerry's settings. Not sure what else I have to do, but definitely doesn't seem like it's up scaling. Watching blurray and my ps4, when I click display on the tv remote it says 1080p and 12 bit. Is there something I'm missing? I thought it was always supposed to say the 4k resolution no matter what the source. Thanks.
Ps I haven't connected to the internet yet as that gets hooked up tomorrow.
post #755 of 895 Old 06-16-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alieti View Post
when I click display on the tv remote it says 1080p and 12 bit. Is there something I'm missing?
I think this has been answered already but this tells you the source resolution. The TV upscales everything that is not 4K. It has to fill all those extra pixels. Makes sense if you think about it.
post #756 of 895 Old 06-16-2014, 09:51 PM

Anyone get the new update? I have not checked the Sony site to see what they fixed/added.
post #757 of 895 Old 06-16-2014, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am new to calibration so I just purchased the "WOW: Disney" calibration disk and took some pictures with my cell phone. Most of the pictures look decent but can anyone tell me whats going on with the black image (attachment 5)? it doesnt quite look like this in person but it seems like my cell phone camera is picking up more than I can see.

Also, on attachment 6, does this indicate that I need to turn down my sharpness? Thanks in advance for any advise on whether I have a good set or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-06-17 00.15.19.jpg (59.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-17 00.15.41.jpg (63.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-17 00.15.55.jpg (40.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-17 00.17.09.jpg (56.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-17 00.16.21.jpg (121.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-17 00.19.04.jpg (317.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-17 00.19.17.jpg (456.6 KB, 29 views)
post #758 of 895 Old 06-16-2014, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedra12 View Post
ayase,

Just curious. Did you ever make a decision?

-Almonz
yup! I made the purchase! it'll be here on Wednesday! I can't wait! I figured if all else the 4k was the way to start. and of worse come to worse I have 45 days to exchange it. I'm so excited!!!
pedra12 likes this.
post #759 of 895 Old 06-16-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknigs View Post
Can this set pass through HDMI audio 5.1 to an optical receiver? The installer told me it would, but all I'm able to select from my Xbox One is Stereo Uncompressed with this TV.
I have a 5.1 surround sound system with the Xbox One connected to my Denon AVR. I have the HDMI out from the Denon to HDMI 1 on my 55xbr850a. I have 5.1 surround sound, you need to change the sound settings in The Xbox One settings. There are options for "Stereo", "5.1 Surround", and "7.1 Surround". The 5.1 option used to be beta only with the Xbox One, it has been out of beta for a while now. If you connect the HDMI cable to HDMI 1 in the TV you can take advantage of ARC which will give you surround sound from the TV's apps without the need for an optical cable. It has worked perfect for me, I get 5.1 while watching cable/Blu-rays and while using the Netflix app on the TV.
post #760 of 895 Old 06-17-2014, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
is this TV worth buying for me?

will mainly be used to:
watch Downloaded movies and TV shows in 1080p x264
Watch Free to air
Watch 4k movies if they become mainstream and easy to obtain in australia in the next 3 years.
post #761 of 895 Old 06-17-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanic View Post
I think this has been answered already but this tells you the source resolution. The TV upscales everything that is not 4K. It has to fill all those extra pixels. Makes sense if you think about it.
This makes sense however I remember reading on this thread somewhere that when watching blurray and ps4 that it would say 2160p as it shows what is being up scaled. My bluray Life doesn't look very good and looks kinda grainy.
post #762 of 895 Old 06-17-2014, 11:01 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozh89 View Post
is this TV worth buying for me?

will mainly be used to:
watch Downloaded movies and TV shows in 1080p x264
Watch Free to air
Watch 4k movies if they become mainstream and easy to obtain in australia in the next 3 years.
I love this TV (I have the 55") as I replaced a broken first generation 37" 1080p LCD tv. A huge upgrade. I use it to mainly watch downloaded content that is 1080p/720p x264. The picture quality is amazing. Free to Air HDTV looks pretty decent, but not as good as the downloaded content. I highly recommend this set, especially at the current price.

I still have yet to try 3D. I'm not sure if I have any 3D content and my WDTV Live doesn't support it. I think there are some PS3 things I might be able to try but haven't taken the time to look.
post #763 of 895 Old 06-17-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanic View Post
Anyone get the new update? I have not checked the Sony site to see what they fixed/added.
So I was not hallucinating. Sony is pushing out PKG4.430AAA. I verified this is what I just got. Sony's site is still showing PKG4.411AAA as the latest for the x850a.

x900a owners are seeing this update too.
Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread

It would be nice if they would tell us what the update does.
post #764 of 895 Old 06-17-2014, 08:01 PM

Middle of my display has some streaks in light scenes. Bought direct from Sony. Are they easy to deal with ?Thought I would ask before I call.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jb2.jpg (609.1 KB, 35 views)
post #765 of 895 Old 06-18-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovojr1 View Post
I have a 5.1 surround sound system with the Xbox One connected to my Denon AVR. I have the HDMI out from the Denon to HDMI 1 on my 55xbr850a. I have 5.1 surround sound, you need to change the sound settings in The Xbox One settings. There are options for "Stereo", "5.1 Surround", and "7.1 Surround". The 5.1 option used to be beta only with the Xbox One, it has been out of beta for a while now. If you connect the HDMI cable to HDMI 1 in the TV you can take advantage of ARC which will give you surround sound from the TV's apps without the need for an optical cable. It has worked perfect for me, I get 5.1 while watching cable/Blu-rays and while using the Netflix app on the TV.
I get 5.1 directly into my receiver, but I hate changing inputs and was hoping to have the Xbox One push 5.1 to the Bravia via HDMI, and have the Bravia push that back to the receiver at 5.1. The Xbox picks up that the TV is only a stereo output and wont let me select any higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillstatus View Post
I think there are some PS3 things I might be able to try but haven't taken the time to look.
Check out Super Stardust HD, a bit of fun and 3D, you'll have to go through the video setup on the PS3 again plugged into the new TV if your old TV wasn't 3D, otherwise it wont enable 3D.

The SmartTV appstore for the sony is truly terrible, no catchup apps in Australia, and slow janky opera apps. The actual OS software is fine. So very glad I have an Xbox One to do all the "smart" things with. Picture is fantastic though .

Last edited by dknigs; 06-18-2014 at 02:23 AM.
post #766 of 895 Old 06-18-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayase View Post
yup! I made the purchase! it'll be here on Wednesday! I can't wait! I figured if all else the 4k was the way to start. and of worse come to worse I have 45 days to exchange it. I'm so excited!!!
Did you purchase the 65"? If so, you may want to double-check the price and possibly get an adjustment. Assuming you purchased at Best Buy, given the 45 days to exchange.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #767 of 895 Old 06-18-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post
Did you purchase the 65"? If so, you may want to double-check the price and possibly get an adjustment. Assuming you purchased at Best Buy, given the 45 days to exchange.
Anyone know if screen mirroring outputs in 4k from the note 3? It looks like it does because photos look fantastic but that may be the upscale which does a pristine job on 1080i/p signals too!
post #768 of 895 Old 06-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknigs View Post
I get 5.1 directly into my receiver, but I hate changing inputs and was hoping to have the Xbox One push 5.1 to the Bravia via HDMI, and have the Bravia push that back to the receiver at 5.1. The Xbox picks up that the TV is only a stereo output and wont let me select any higher.
I don't change my inputs, I have my cable running through my Xbox One. When I turn my Xbox One on, the cable box turns on, the AVR turns on, and the TV turns on. I get 5.1 when I watch cable, I use the Xbox One for Blu-Rays so I get 5.1 as well. Since I have it hooked up to HDMI 1(ARC) in the TV I also get 5.1 if I use apps such as Netflix on the TV. If you want the TV to send an audio signal to the receiver without using an optical cable you need to have the HDMI out from the receiver connected to HDMI 1 in the TV. If you want to use another HDMI port on the TV and still get audio return from the TV you will need to use an optical cable for that. Did you change the setting in the Xbox One to "5.1 Surround"? Did you change the settings in your cable/satellite provider settings from "stereo" to "surround sound"? I have AT&T Uverse and had to change the settings in my cable box from the default "stereo" to "surround sound".
post #769 of 895 Old 06-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Smile

Quote:
I got this tv 2 weeks ago at Best Buy for $2799.98 and I've been enjoying it ever since. Today it is listed on sale for $2599.98. Went back to the store and they adjusted the price, got over $200 back, great deal!!!
post #770 of 895 Old 06-18-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
oh definitely got a good price on it!! = ) ... so just got it an hour or so ago. all hooked up and such! Im using my ps4 as my bluray ATM (maybe that's the problem. lol) ... and though the picture quality looks amazing (!!!) ... the lip sync in the movie I'm testing (avengers.... ya I know) ... is off a tiny tiny bit. it's not a deal breaker but enough to be a little annoying. any suggestions?

Update: If I play sound from the tv speakers they sync up perfectly. Is it my optical cable then? It's a few years old. Monster brand.

Another update: turning off 1080p/24p fixes the issue. I'm not tech savvy enough to know why though.

Last edited by ayase; 06-18-2014 at 07:51 PM.
post #771 of 895 Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alieti View Post
Hey guys so I just unboxed my new 65 in XBR 850a. I plugged in austinjerry's settings. Not sure what else I have to do, but definitely doesn't seem like it's up scaling. Watching blurray and my ps4, when I click display on the tv remote it says 1080p and 12 bit. Is there something I'm missing? I thought it was always supposed to say the 4k resolution no matter what the source. Thanks.
Ps I haven't connected to the internet yet as that gets hooked up tomorrow.
What are Austinjerrys settings? My set has started having issues now after 6 months, and have to call Sony it looks like, I am not sure if its one of the updates, or if the panel is failing. But its started flashlighting badly, and I have brightness down to 26 and its still too bright and faces look washed out.

Anyway its kind of dissappointing.. but will get a new panel one way or the other.
post #772 of 895 Old 06-18-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovojr1 View Post
Since I have it hooked up to HDMI 1(ARC) in the TV I also get 5.1 if I use apps such as Netflix on the TV.
I think my problem is that for now my AV is just an older HTIB, I think the only communication it accepts is Optical in, and HDMI out, with basic oldschool HDMI CEC. Next on the list of things to upgrade! My HDMI in on the Xbox One is the PS3 running PlayTV for DVB-T.
post #773 of 895 Old 06-19-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanel View Post
What are Austinjerrys settings? My set has started having issues now after 6 months, and have to call Sony it looks like, I am not sure if its one of the updates, or if the panel is failing. But its started flashlighting badly, and I have brightness down to 26 and its still too bright and faces look washed out.

Anyway its kind of dissappointing.. but will get a new panel one way or the other.
Did you change the HDMI Dynamic Range to Full from Auto? Mine was flashlighting horrible when it was set to Full and I changed it back to Auto and it fixed the issue. There is a post earlier in the the thread with more details.
post #774 of 895 Old 06-19-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce2k3 View Post
Did you change the HDMI Dynamic Range to Full from Auto? Mine was flashlighting horrible when it was set to Full and I changed it back to Auto and it fixed the issue. There is a post earlier in the the thread with more details.
I saw the thread here also where someone suggested changing the Dynamic Range from AUTO to FULL. When I got the tv a few weeks ago I tried it and it didn't make a difference so I switched it back to AUTO. I wasn't looking for flashlighting when I changed it though. I still don't know what changing Dynamic Range actually does to the picture. Other than apparently making the flashlighting worse as you noticed.
post #775 of 895 Old 06-19-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all.
I'm late to the party, but am loving my first evening with my XBR-65X850A. I am truly amazed at all its customizable options!

In doing a search, I found one user's settings for blu-ray movie watching, and would love to read the settings of others.

* Anyone connecting their PC to it? What are your settings for gaming?
* How 'bout some Blu-Ray movie settings?
* What settings do you use for watching sports on satellite/cable?

I've never owned a TV that could automatically detect what kind of input it was receiving, so I can't wait to dive into this. But I'd like to hear what settings others use, as I consider myself something of a neophyte when it comes to HDTV setups.
Thanks in advance!
post #776 of 895 Old 06-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce2k3 View Post
Its set on auto, and looks like when I toggle it does not really change anything so not sure thats my issue.

I have not called Sony as yet but will be here in the next week or so
post #777 of 895 Old 06-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Liked: 18
Netflix released 4k streaming this week, anyone experimented yet?
post #778 of 895 Old 06-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KandUp View Post
Netflix released 4k streaming this week, anyone experimented yet?
? It has been out since April.
post #779 of 895 Old 06-21-2014, 01:57 PM

Liked: 18
Sorry, added the series, Break Bad. Was wondering how it looked

Fan of the show, GF and I would both re watch the whole series. Downside, have to buy the 4k Box.
post #780 of 895 Old 06-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KandUp View Post
Sorry, added the series, Break Bad. Was wondering how it looked

Fan of the show, GF and I would both re watch the whole series. Downside, have to buy the 4k Box.
I have seen various reports. Some say the whole series is in 4k and others say just the most recent season. My guess is that it would just be the most recent season since house of cards, which is newer, was only season 2.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
kd-55x8504a , kd-65x8504a , Sony , Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page