post #841 of 1085 Old 07-05-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke02 View Post
It's worse on bright scenes. Some people are less sensitive to it I would imagine.
That is exactly it. Some people notice it and some do not. I actually think the setting says it may cause flickering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1085 Old 07-08-2014, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So after researching more about these sets' 4k/60fps upgrade, it seems that they all only allow for 8 bit color depth and 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. My understanding is that no current material is anything but 4:2:0 8 bit, but it would have been nice to have some future proofing. Incidentally, I think the current B models also have this restriction.

I fully acknowledge I am a newb to this topic, so I welcome any correction or feedback from the more experienced members here at AVS.

Just thought I'd post it for those still considering getting one of these sets or holding off with a 1080p set until 4k is more prevalent
post #843 of 1085 Old 07-08-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
So after researching more about these sets' 4k/60fps upgrade, it seems that they all only allow for 8 bit color depth and 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. My understanding is that no current material is anything but 4:2:0 8 bit, but it would have been nice to have some future proofing. Incidentally, I think the current B models also have this restriction.
Could be worse, if it were 4:1:1

http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/201...what_is_4.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chroma_subsampling_ratios_4_2_2.png
Views:	20
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	152833  
post #844 of 1085 Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi everyone! i just purchased this set as an open box last night from my local best buy. I bought a kdl70w850b that i returned when i bought this. My question is about the upscaling feature on this tv when watching cable or another source. I have a pioneer elite receiver that supposedly upscales the picture as well. Everything i read on here says to disable the upscaling feature on the receiver and let the tv do the upscaling. Do i have to have the HDMI plugged into a certain port for the upscaling on the tv? Currently i have it in slot 1. Slot 2 says "MHL", what is that for?

Last question, does anyone know how i turn off the upscaling on the receiver? I went into the settings and turned off the video processing, but i am not sure if that did it or not. The receiver is the VSX 60, and it does have 4k pass through, so is that another setting i need to enable/disable? Sorry for the questions but any help is appreciated!
post #845 of 1085 Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
hi everyone! i just purchased this set as an open box last night from my local best buy. I bought a kdl70w850b that i returned when i bought this. My question is about the upscaling feature on this tv when watching cable or another source. I have a pioneer elite receiver that supposedly upscales the picture as well. Everything i read on here says to disable the upscaling feature on the receiver and let the tv do the upscaling. Do i have to have the HDMI plugged into a certain port for the upscaling on the tv? Currently i have it in slot 1. Slot 2 says "MHL", what is that for?

Last question, does anyone know how i turn off the upscaling on the receiver? I went into the settings and turned off the video processing, but i am not sure if that did it or not. The receiver is the VSX 60, and it does have 4k pass through, so is that another setting i need to enable/disable? Sorry for the questions but any help is appreciated!
It sounds like you turned off scaling on the receiver, but I am not 100% sure.

There is no special HDMI slot you need to use. You can use any of them. "MHL" is for hooking a tablet to the TV, but works the same for anything.

The only "special" port would be HDMI 4. If you ever buy a sony 4k player you will need to plug it into this port.
post #846 of 1085 Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
It sounds like you turned off scaling on the receiver, but I am not 100% sure.

There is no special HDMI slot you need to use. You can use any of them. "MHL" is for hooking a tablet to the TV, but works the same for anything.

The only "special" port would be HDMI 4. If you ever buy a sony 4k player you will need to plug it into this port.
Got it, thanks. Another question hopefully someone can help with. How do I get my settings to stay the same no matter what I am watching? When I go to Netflix or any other app my picture settings disappear and it defaults to the initial settings. I have it input option set to "common", what am I missing here?
post #847 of 1085 Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Xbr 65x850a

I was curious from people who own this TV which motion flow mode do you use? I am considering this set and was wondering with the motion flow clear mode is anyone getting judder or shaking of the background in the picture with slow camera pans side to side or up and down (especial on diagonal lines). Can happen with movies on cable or blu-ray. I believe it has something to do with the motion flow and 24p film rate and the TV processors ability to cope. One example of this is in Pacific Rim at time point of 26:55 to 27:05. In this scene people are walking and the background is juddering/shaking.

I am asking this because I have a Sony KDL65W850a which judders a lot in the clear mode. I like the clear mode because of the lack of the soap opera affect and the full resolution of 1080 on motion. I was wondering how this model does in the clear mode since it is one of the models I am considering replacing the 65W850A. Thanks.
post #848 of 1085 Old 07-09-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Got it, thanks. Another question hopefully someone can help with. How do I get my settings to stay the same no matter what I am watching? When I go to Netflix or any other app my picture settings disappear and it defaults to the initial settings. I have it input option set to "common", what am I missing here?
Go through each input and set them all to "common" with the same scene selected. This should keep it the same across the board. You may have to change it in each app you use too. 3D also needs to be set once you have a 3D movie in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
I was curious from people who own this TV which motion flow mode do you use? I am considering this set and was wondering with the motion flow clear mode is anyone getting judder or shaking of the background in the picture with slow camera pans side to side or up and down (especial on diagonal lines). Can happen with movies on cable or blu-ray. I believe it has something to do with the motion flow and 24p film rate and the TV processors ability to cope. One example of this is in Pacific Rim at time point of 26:55 to 27:05. In this scene people are walking and the background is juddering/shaking.

I am asking this because I have a Sony KDL65W850a which judders a lot in the clear mode. I like the clear mode because of the lack of the soap opera affect and the full resolution of 1080 on motion. I was wondering how this model does in the clear mode since it is one of the models I am considering replacing the 65W850A. Thanks.
Personally, I still see the SOE using clear (unless it is sports). Depending on the content there can be slight judders. For example, Seinfeld on TBS looks flat out awful with any type of motion setting....even true cinema.
post #849 of 1085 Old 07-09-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
To set the picture settings, you have to go into one of the other internet apps and set the picture there. For some reason though, Sony won't let you set all of the picture settings. On my set, the majority of the picture settings are locked in, i posted it in a previous post, but can't remember which ones.

Not sure why they did that...

Edit: If you set the input to common, your settings from the HDMI inputs will transfer over, but you still can't change most of the settings while in the apps...

Last edited by Duke02; 07-09-2014 at 07:11 AM.
post #850 of 1085 Old 07-09-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
To set the picture settings, you have to go into one of the other internet apps and set the picture there. For some reason though, Sony won't let you set all of the picture settings. On my set, the majority of the picture settings are locked in, i posted it in a previous post, but can't remember which ones.

Not sure why they did that...

Edit: If you set the input to common, your settings from the HDMI inputs will transfer over, but you still can't change most of the settings while in the apps...
Got it, thanks for the info!
post #851 of 1085 Old 07-11-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Calibration worth it?

I might have a chance to get my tv professionally calibrated (well best buy professionally that is) for a good price. Was wondering if it was worth it. I tend to personally enjoy a more brighter color palette usually... but I was watching a calibrated tv at a family members house and it definitely looked good. though I will say he has a pano 65vt60. so it could definitely just be a difference in tv's.. I don't know.

and if it is recommended should I wait an x amount of hours before getting it done?

thanks for any tips guys!! I'm still immensely enjoying this tv!
post #852 of 1085 Old 07-11-2014, 02:52 PM

So something weird is happening with the sound on my tv. The other day i turned on tv and turned to channel 5 and there was no sound. i have the tv hooked up to a receiver and my surround sound. I changed the channel and the everything was fine with the sound. Switched back to the previous channel and no sound again. This morning i turned to channel 5 and same thing, no sound, but other channels did have sound. I turned the sound down through the receiver and turned up the tv volume on the actual tv, and still no sound. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any idea what this is?

The other thing is when i press the "display" button on my remote nothing happens. The little sony light on the bottom of the tv lights up, but it doesnt pull up the information on the actual screen. Is this a setting i have to adjust somewhere?
post #853 of 1085 Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayase View Post
I might have a chance to get my tv professionally calibrated (well best buy professionally that is) for a good price. Was wondering if it was worth it. I tend to personally enjoy a more brighter color palette usually... but I was watching a calibrated tv at a family members house and it definitely looked good. though I will say he has a pano 65vt60. so it could definitely just be a difference in tv's.. I don't know.

and if it is recommended should I wait an x amount of hours before getting it done?

thanks for any tips guys!! I'm still immensely enjoying this tv!
My thought is that I spent all this $ on the set, I want to get the most out of it. Plus, I always wondered with my previous set if i had it seth right. So i had it calibrated by D-Nice. Great guy. Not sure if I could tell you it's made a tremendous difference, but that's because I can't sit here and compare side to side.
post #854 of 1085 Old 07-11-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
So something weird is happening with the sound on my tv. The other day i turned on tv and turned to channel 5 and there was no sound. i have the tv hooked up to a receiver and my surround sound. I changed the channel and the everything was fine with the sound. Switched back to the previous channel and no sound again. This morning i turned to channel 5 and same thing, no sound, but other channels did have sound. I turned the sound down through the receiver and turned up the tv volume on the actual tv, and still no sound. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any idea what this is?

The other thing is when i press the "display" button on my remote nothing happens. The little sony light on the bottom of the tv lights up, but it doesnt pull up the information on the actual screen. Is this a setting i have to adjust somewhere?
Do you have the receiver set up using ARC? My guess is that the TV is having some sort of handshake issue with the receiver. You could try hooking it up via toslink and see if that isolates the issue.

With respect to the Display button, I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. It doesn't work for me either except on Netflix when it shows the type of feed I'm getting (Super HD).

On an unrelated note, I have a question for the great AVS minds. I just got my Denon X4000 (thanks JDSmoothie!) and am wondering if I should use the Denon to de-interlace and/or up convert the signal or have the TV do it. My suspicion is that Sony's upscaler in a TV that originally cost $5k is probably better than the chip in a ~$1200 receiver. Any thoughts?
post #855 of 1085 Old 07-11-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
My thought is that I spent all this $ on the set, I want to get the most out of it. Plus, I always wondered with my previous set if i had it seth right. So i had it calibrated by D-Nice. Great guy. Not sure if I could tell you it's made a tremendous difference, but that's because I can't sit here and compare side to side.
I've gone with "if I have to TRY and see the difference of something that's suppose to be better its prob not that much better." lol. maybe I'll wait.
post #856 of 1085 Old 07-11-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I've gone with "if I have to TRY and see the difference of something that's suppose to be better its prob not that much better." lol. maybe I'll wait.

Actually let me restate. The color is definitely better than where I had it set after running through spear and munsil but I can't say for sure that others wouldn't be able to get closer.
post #857 of 1085 Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Do you have the receiver set up using ARC? My guess is that the TV is having some sort of handshake issue with the receiver. You could try hooking it up via toslink and see if that isolates the issue.

With respect to the Display button, I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. It doesn't work for me either except on Netflix when it shows the type of feed I'm getting (Super HD).

On an unrelated note, I have a question for the great AVS minds. I just got my Denon X4000 (thanks JDSmoothie!) and am wondering if I should use the Denon to de-interlace and/or up convert the signal or have the TV do it. My suspicion is that Sony's upscaler in a TV that originally cost $5k is probably better than the chip in a ~$1200 receiver. Any thoughts?
I am not using arc because I was having too many issues with it. I have a digital audio cable going from the tv to receiver. Again, it only happens on one channel, it is very odd. Thanks for the suggestion though. Any other ideas? I would think if there were something wrong with the tv it would happen on more than one channel, right?
post #858 of 1085 Old 07-13-2014, 01:06 AM

65x850a

I am considering buying the 65X850A and I wanted to make sure I got a recent build date like March or April could you owners of the 65 inch give me at least the build date and the first three or four numbers of the serial number so I can check it out in the stores. Thanks.
post #859 of 1085 Old 07-14-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
I am considering buying the 65X850A and I wanted to make sure I got a recent build date like March or April could you owners of the 65 inch give me at least the build date and the first three or four numbers of the serial number so I can check it out in the stores. Thanks.
March build date. Serial # 7801479
post #860 of 1085 Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The build date is really not going to have anything to do with quality of the display. This is coming from someone who is on their 4th 900a all march 2014 or later builds.
post #861 of 1085 Old 07-18-2014, 04:15 PM

So, after having the TV for about 4 weeks, I thought i'd give my report. Overall, I'm very happy with the TV. Part of me wishes I had gotten a solid 1080p plasma because LCD motion blur annoys me, but I have a bright living room and didn't want to deal with the glare on the glossy plasma screens. And being anal, I figured I'd always be worried about the Bravo logo burning in on my TV from my wife watching housewives marathons. hehe

Black levels are pretty amazing. Now, I'm coming from an 8 year old xbr2, so I can't compare it to other recent sets, but the black levels really make the picture pop. I had the set calibrated by DNice and he was great. Overall colors look great but sometimes with a particularly vibrant color (like a bright pink blouse on a TV anchor) can look a bit torchy and iridescent, but that could very well be the lighting on the set. I primarily notice that when watching the news or Good Morning America, so I imagine it's a production issue or set lighting and not a TV issue.

Being an edge-lit TV, you definitely can see it in certain scenes. With a bright white scenes (like the B&W opening to Casino Royale), you can see a bluish tinge to the white out the outside 2-3 inches of the picture on each side. And with a very dark screen, you can see some backlight bleed there as well. Also, there is a contrast shift off-axis. I'm not talking extreme's here, maybe 40 degrees. The black turns into a very dark blue (if that makes sense) on the far side of the screen. But, in the words of my wife "you're the only person in the world that would notice that". Now, I'm sure most here would also notice it, but that's a way of saying it's not glaring and it's only visible in select scenes.

Motion isn't great but that's just because it's an LCD I suppose. It's way better than my XBR2 that had a weird motion artifact, but that panel was 60hz and always sucked at motion. I can't do the Impulse setting - it just gives me a headache but it does make motion look great without SOE. Clear Plus is close, but it sometimes stutters with certain motion but it has minimal SOE, so it helps when watching non-film programming.

I wish there was more than 1 HDCP 2.2 compatible port and a Coax digital audio out rather than digital, but other than that, no complaints on the connectivity.

Anyway, that's my experience
post #862 of 1085 Old 07-18-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I had mine calibrated and it looked terrible afterwards. I wouldn't do it.
post #863 of 1085 Old 07-18-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem102166 View Post
I had mine calibrated and it looked terrible afterwards. I wouldn't do it.

Who did you have do it? It's all in the person that does it.
post #864 of 1085 Old 07-18-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Who did you have do it? It's all in the person that does it.
so you recommend it? I've heads calibration equipment-wise the equipment is ,add to calibrate 1080 panels vs 4k ones. so tho it'll still do a good job it's not maximized for people with 4k tvs. now I have no technical knowledge so the person who told me cauuld be totally wrong in terms of the tech.

but anyway I've been considering calibrations on mine, but it would be through best buy (I can get a deal). but just not sure if its worth it.
post #865 of 1085 Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
so you recommend it? I've heads calibration equipment-wise the equipment is ,add to calibrate 1080 panels vs 4k ones. so tho it'll still do a good job it's not maximized for people with 4k tvs. now I have no technical knowledge so the person who told me cauuld be totally wrong in terms of the tech.

but anyway I've been considering calibrations on mine, but it would be through best buy (I can get a deal). but just not sure if its worth it.

Yeah, it was worth it to me. The way I figure, a couple hundred on calibration isn't that much when you factor in the cost of a whole home theater system and it helps you get the most out of your TV. Is as never quite happy with the color on my old tv after using calibration discs
post #866 of 1085 Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 AM

X850a

Quote:
So, after having the TV for about 4 weeks, I thought i'd give my report. Overall, I'm very happy with the TV. Part of me wishes I had gotten a solid 1080p plasma because LCD motion blur annoys me, but I have a bright living room and didn't want to deal with the glare on the glossy plasma screens. And being anal, I figured I'd always be worried about the Bravo logo burning in on my TV from my wife watching housewives marathons. hehe

Black levels are pretty amazing. Now, I'm coming from an 8 year old xbr2, so I can't compare it to other recent sets, but the black levels really make the picture pop. I had the set calibrated by DNice and he was great. Overall colors look great but sometimes with a particularly vibrant color (like a bright pink blouse on a TV anchor) can look a bit torchy and iridescent, but that could very well be the lighting on the set. I primarily notice that when watching the news or Good Morning America, so I imagine it's a production issue or set lighting and not a TV issue.

Being an edge-lit TV, you definitely can see it in certain scenes. With a bright white scenes (like the B&W opening to Casino Royale), you can see a bluish tinge to the white out the outside 2-3 inches of the picture on each side. And with a very dark screen, you can see some backlight bleed there as well. Also, there is a contrast shift off-axis. I'm not talking extreme's here, maybe 40 degrees. The black turns into a very dark blue (if that makes sense) on the far side of the screen. But, in the words of my wife "you're the only person in the world that would notice that". Now, I'm sure most here would also notice it, but that's a way of saying it's not glaring and it's only visible in select scenes.

Motion isn't great but that's just because it's an LCD I suppose. It's way better than my XBR2 that had a weird motion artifact, but that panel was 60hz and always sucked at motion. I can't do the Impulse setting - it just gives me a headache but it does make motion look great without SOE. Clear Plus is close, but it sometimes stutters with certain motion but it has minimal SOE, so it helps when watching non-film programming.

I wish there was more than 1 HDCP 2.2 compatible port and a Coax digital audio out rather than digital, but other than that, no complaints on the connectivity.

Anyway, that's my experience

I was hoping that the owners of this set could tell me if you find the screen as reflective as the newer 2014 version, the X850B? I have been getting inconsistent information. When I saw the 65X850A if was reflecting a lot from the TV's across the way. When I viewed the X50B it did not seen as reflective but there where no TV's in front of it.

Still trying to decide between the 65X850A or the 65X850B. I like the contrast and blacks of the X850A but I like the color and connectivity of the 2014 X850B (two HDCP 2.2 compatible ports)

Thanks.
post #867 of 1085 Old 07-19-2014, 09:11 AM

Official Sony XBR-55X850A / XBR-65X850A Owner's Thread

Quote:
I was hoping that the owners of this set could tell me if you find the screen as reflective as the newer 2014 version, the X850B? I have been getting inconsistent information. When I saw the 65X850A if was reflecting a lot from the TV's across the way. When I viewed the X50B it did not seen as reflective but there where no TV's in front of it.

Still trying to decide between the 65X850A or the 65X850B. I like the contrast and blacks of the X850A but I like the color and connectivity of the 2014 X850B (two HDCP 2.2 compatible ports)

Thanks.

Found this online.

"The X850B lacks the Deep Black Panel of its predecessor, so this year's series is less able to reduce the diffusion of the backlight and the ambient light induced on-screen reflections, thus the image is slightly less contrasted and colors are not quite as vibrant as on the X850A in bright environments."

Not sure how authoritative the source is though

http://4ktvsguide.blogspot.com/2014/...x850b.html?m=1
post #868 of 1085 Old 07-19-2014, 12:58 PM

65x850a

Quote:
Found this online.

"The X850B lacks the Deep Black Panel of its predecessor, so this year's series is less able to reduce the diffusion of the backlight and the ambient light induced on-screen reflections, thus the image is slightly less contrasted and colors are not quite as vibrant as on the X850A in bright environments."

Not sure how authoritative the source is though

http://4ktvsguide.blogspot.com/2014/...x850b.html?m=1

On the X850A if you plug in the Sony server (new one) which I believe has to be plugged into the one HDCP 2.2 compatible ports then if any other 4K device comes along that need the compatibility you will be out of luck. I believe only one input on an updated X850A has HDCP 2.2 compatible and only one is HDMI 2.0, correct?

Thanks.
post #869 of 1085 Old 07-19-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
On the X850A if you plug in the Sony server (new one) which I believe has to be plugged into the one HDCP 2.2 compatible ports then if any other 4K device comes along that need the compatibility you will be out of luck. I believe only one input on an updated X850A has HDCP 2.2 compatible and only one is HDMI 2.0, correct?

Thanks.
Correct, only one input supports HDCP 2.2. I'm pretty confident that by the time 4k content becomes widespread, that somebody will have invented a HDCP 2.2 compatible switch. So confident that I bet $2600 on that.... but it will be another piece of equipment to buy.

The unknown is how the 4k media player will function going through an HDMI switch since it's supposed to only work with Sony TV's.
post #870 of 1085 Old 07-19-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I'm pretty confident that by the time 4k content becomes widespread, that somebody will have invented a HDCP 2.2 compatible switch.
What makes you think than normal HDMI switch won't work? I mean it is just routing the signal to the port of your command and not decoding anything.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
kd-55x8504a , kd-65x8504a , Sony , Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page