post #901 of 1004 Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
I bought a new Sony XBR65X850A a few weeks ago for about $2800, which I thought was cheap. I then purchased the FMP-X10 to use to watch 4k movies on, and it was delivered last week when I was on vacation, so obviously, I haven't had much time to spend getting used to all the features of each. I noticed that the XBR65X850A can upconvert Blu Ray disks to 4k. Has anyone used this or compared to the Sony Blu Ray that can upconvert to 4k? I'm just wondering if the conversion in the TV is the same, better, or worse than the conversion of the Blu Ray player.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
It is better to let the tv do the upconversion. While not a massive difference, it does a slightly better job than the blu ray players upscaler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1004 Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Something strange is happening with my tv and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. When my tv is on there is a constant popping sound coming from tv. It is not the sound from the show we are watching, but rather sounds like plastic popping, similar to when you over tighten something. So then I was thinking maybe the bracket for the wall mount was too tight, but that is not the issue. Again, it is only when the tv is on. It is really weird. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?
post #903 of 1004 Old 08-06-2014, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
When my tv is on there is a constant popping sound coming from tv. It is not the sound from the show we are watching, but rather sounds like plastic popping, similar to when you over tighten something. So then I was thinking maybe the bracket for the wall mount was too tight, but that is not the issue. Again, it is only when the tv is on. It is really weird. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?
Generally, it's just slight expansion of heat generating components attached all over the back of the panel. My (2007) XBR5 sounds like a popcorn machine, as it snaps and clicks as it warms ups. It puts on a real aural fireworks demonstration (the XBR5) when you turn it off, as relays flip for at least 10 seconds.

My 65/900A was without any of these snaps, until a couple of weeks ago, as it turned 1 year. Recently is does pop every so often. In my case here, it could just be as some of the parts get a little older.
post #904 of 1004 Old 08-06-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Generally, it's just slight expansion of heat generating components attached all over the back of the panel. My (2007) XBR5 sounds like a popcorn machine, as it snaps and clicks as it warms ups. It puts on a real aural fireworks demonstration (the XBR5) when you turn it off, as relays flip for at least 10 seconds.

My 65/900A was without any of these snaps, until a couple of weeks ago, as it turned 1 year. Recently is does pop every so often. In my case here, it could just be as some of the parts get a little older.
Thanks Lee. So nothing to worry about then it sounds like??
post #905 of 1004 Old 08-06-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Lee. So nothing to worry about then it sounds like??
I would call nothing about what the other user described normal by any means. If you hear it when watching TV, I would get it replaced.
post #906 of 1004 Old 08-06-2014, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

I never thought it unusual for low, occasional warm-up clicks to occur.

I now see the OP used the word "constant" which I didn't pick up in my first read, so I would change my opinion to say I'd have it looked at.

The easiest way to get a problem resolved, is to have it happen while it's being checked.

Last edited by LeeSoFl; 08-06-2014 at 06:11 AM.
post #907 of 1004 Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I would call nothing about what the other user described normal by any means. If you hear it when watching TV, I would get it replaced.
I bought the tv from Best Buy about 4 weeks ago so i am past my return/exchange period. Would you suggest i contact Sony directly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I never thought it unusual for low, occasional warm-up clicks to occur.

I now see the OP used the word "constant" which I didn't pick up in my first read, so I would change my opinion to say I'd have it looked at.

The easiest way to get a problem resolved, is to have it happen while it's being checked.
I dont think i would have a problem duplicating the issue. As soon as i turn the tv on it starts doing. It does gradually decrease but it never actually stops.
post #908 of 1004 Old 08-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Mine doesn't do it and I've had mine for 2 weeks.

post #909 of 1004 Old 08-06-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I bought the tv from Best Buy about 4 weeks ago so i am past my return/exchange period. Would you suggest i contact Sony directly?.
You may have to go through Sony. Exactly 4 weeks? Your purchase, if over $1500, propelled you to elite status at best buy and you get a 30 day return policy. Even if just outside that time frame they may work with you.
post #910 of 1004 Old 08-06-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
You may have to go through Sony. Exactly 4 weeks? Your purchase, if over $1500, propelled you to elite status at best buy and you get a 30 day return policy. Even if just outside that time frame they may work with you.
i am not part of their rewards program, but i did use my american express to pay for it. I wonder if they would do anything. Nonetheless it sounds like i will have to start with Sony which makes me a little nervous after reading some of the experiences people have had dealing with them. Thanks for the help and information.
post #911 of 1004 Old 08-06-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i am not part of their rewards program, but i did use my american express to pay for it. I wonder if they would do anything. Nonetheless it sounds like i will have to start with Sony which makes me a little nervous after reading some of the experiences people have had dealing with them. Thanks for the help and information.
I have had good and bad experiences through Sony. My most recent is bad. 2.5 weeks later my TV replacement has not shipped. On a side note, rewards is free...why not. It sounds like you spend money there and it is free money, but most importantly a better return policy.
post #912 of 1004 Old 08-06-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I have had good and bad experiences through Sony. My most recent is bad. 2.5 weeks later my TV replacement has not shipped. On a side note, rewards is free...why not. It sounds like you spend money there and it is free money, but most importantly a better return policy.
That is what I am afraid of, and everything else with the tv is great. I have no banding issues, flashlighting, or ghosting. The screen is really very good. I don't want to take the chance of getting a screen with those issues because it seems to be pretty common. I do have a 1 year warranty so I guess I can monitor the situation and see if it gets worse.

As far as the rewards, is it to late to sign up now since I bought the tv a month ago? I looked at the receipt and bought it on July 7th. You are right about spending money there though; I have bought 2 tv's and thousands of dollars worth of definitive technology speakers from them in the past 18 months, but honestly never thought of the rewards because I don't use a best buy credit card.
post #913 of 1004 Old 08-06-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Something strange is happening with my tv and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. When my tv is on there is a constant popping sound coming from tv. It is not the sound from the show we are watching, but rather sounds like plastic popping, similar to when you over tighten something. So then I was thinking maybe the bracket for the wall mount was too tight, but that is not the issue. Again, it is only when the tv is on. It is really weird. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

I was wondering if this issue is related to build date. What is you build date on your TV. The build date is on the white sticker in the back with the serial number.
post #914 of 1004 Old 08-07-2014, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is what I am afraid of, and everything else with the tv is great. I have no banding issues, flashlighting, or ghosting. The screen is really very good. I don't want to take the chance of getting a screen with those issues because it seems to be pretty common. I do have a 1 year warranty so I guess I can monitor the situation and see if it gets worse.

As far as the rewards, is it to late to sign up now since I bought the tv a month ago? I looked at the receipt and bought it on July 7th. You are right about spending money there though; I have bought 2 tv's and thousands of dollars worth of definitive technology speakers from them in the past 18 months, but honestly never thought of the rewards because I don't use a best buy credit card.
I would call customer service and see about getting a rewards account with the points added. The best part is you do not need the credit card for rewards. My brother also spends a lot of money at best buy and he uses my phone number so I get the rewards.
post #915 of 1004 Old 08-07-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
I was wondering if this issue is related to build date. What is you build date on your TV. The build date is on the white sticker in the back with the serial number.
November of 2013. I bought the display model from Best Buy a few weeks ago.
post #916 of 1004 Old 08-07-2014, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
No popping or noises are coming from my 850A besides the sound it makes when I power it on.
post #917 of 1004 Old 08-07-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

I would at least call / email Sony and keep record of the call so that you can document the issue started early in the warranty period. They key with dealing with Sony will likely be keeping diligent notes of when you call and who you spoke with.

I agree with Matt - certainly not normal. However I also feel like whenever you replace a TV, you're playing roulette and the next set could have different or worse issues. When i had my XBR2, I returned it because of a dead pixel and then got a set with terrible clouding. If you're happy with the picture, I'd see if it gets better (probably not if it was a display model). Best Buy likely won't do anything for you since they don't even sell the set anymore. Amex just extends the warranty. So I think you are going to have to go through Sony and you essentially have a year to make up your mind, but start documenting it now.
post #918 of 1004 Old 08-07-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke02 View Post
I would at least call / email Sony and keep record of the call so that you can document the issue started early in the warranty period. They key with dealing with Sony will likely be keeping diligent notes of when you call and who you spoke with.

I agree with Matt - certainly not normal. However I also feel like whenever you replace a TV, you're playing roulette and the next set could have different or worse issues. When i had my XBR2, I returned it because of a dead pixel and then got a set with terrible clouding. If you're happy with the picture, I'd see if it gets better (probably not if it was a display model). Best Buy likely won't do anything for you since they don't even sell the set anymore. Amex just extends the warranty. So I think you are going to have to go through Sony and you essentially have a year to make up your mind, but start documenting it now.
I appreciate the information, thanks Duke. I will contact them now and just monitor the noise. Hopefully it goes away because everything else is great with the tv. Thanks again.
post #919 of 1004 Old 08-08-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know how these panels are going to handle 4k broadcasts? it seems direct TV is promising broadcasts by 2016, And my understanding is they were suppose to allow the World cup to broadcast in 4k although i found little information on this.
post #920 of 1004 Old 08-08-2014, 10:14 AM

They were recording it with Sony cameras. DIRECTV probably tried to broadcast it, but they didn't have any other Sony components to make it work.

post #921 of 1004 Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I guess my question is does the TV have the required hardware to view 4k broadcasts? I know Netflix is a no go because it does not have the correct hardware (solved with a 700 dollar add on) Also is there a way to display 4k videos from the built in youtube app?
post #922 of 1004 Old 08-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaCarter14 View Post
I guess my question is does the TV have the required hardware to view 4k broadcasts? I know Netflix is a no go because it does not have the correct hardware (solved with a 700 dollar add on) Also is there a way to display 4k videos from the built in youtube app?
Over the air 4K broadcasting is quite a ways off. Subscription services like HBO, Showtime etc will need to pass their 4K signal through a provider, such as Direct TV, or land cable services. They're the ones that will provide the hardware in your home to connect to your television using a standard HDMI input.

HEVC will be inside your home's subscription hardware that'll be connected to your television.

Edited to add: The tuner in your television is not 4K ready.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/con...aste-4k/356120

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/tel...-4k-tv-1048954

"There are currently no 4K TV channels being broadcast. But in July 2014 the DVB Steering Board approved the DVB-UHDTV Phase 1 specification, allowing for over-the-air transmission of 3840x2160 resolution pictures at 60Hz and promising much improved colour depth with 10 bits per pixel rather than 8.
The standard is expected to be ratified by the ETSI shortly, which is likely to open the floodgates for broadcasters to start launching Ultra HD TV channels.
The main problem with this new standard is that current TVs and set-top boxes will be incompatible, so you'll need to buy new gear to make use of it."

Last edited by LeeSoFl; 08-08-2014 at 10:41 AM.
post #923 of 1004 Old 08-09-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaCarter14 View Post
Does anyone know how these panels are going to handle 4k broadcasts? it seems direct TV is promising broadcasts by 2016, And my understanding is they were suppose to allow the World cup to broadcast in 4k although i found little information on this.
My 850A is showing 4k video just fine through my FMP-X10. My FMP-X10 has a problem playing movies bought through my SEN account, but streaming Netflix in 4k looks fine. I've spent a total of 6 hours on the phone with Sony trying to fix the problem playing video bought with my SEN account, but they said they're working on it and will call me next week. If the problem doesn't clear up, then I'm going to return it.

post #924 of 1004 Old 08-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Don't Put Up Your 4K Aerial Yet

From May '14

A French broadcaster just cut all the cables for 4K TV.

Using new compression technology called HEVC or H.265, TDF is broadcasting the French Open tennis tournament live over the air at the very high resolution of 3,840x2,160 -- four times as many pixels as with ordinary high-definition video -- at 50 frames per second.

Not just anybody will be able to watch it, though. Not only do you need a 4K TV, but it needs to be equipped with DVB-T2 demodulator electronics and an HEVC decoder. Panasonics's Ultra HD TVs fit the bill, said Envivio, a company whose software is being used to encode the 4K video stream.

Although most people won't be able to appreciate the high resolution right now, it does mark a milestone in digital broadcasting. TV stations benefit from having a large swath of wireless spectrum to send their radio signals, but nowadays aren't getting any new spectrum to accommodate higher resolutions.

Supporting higher resolution is one of the reasons that video experts from a host of companies and organizations collectively created the HEVC standard. It's a sequel to the AVC/H.264 technology that's very widely used today for HD video.
post #925 of 1004 Old 08-09-2014, 10:10 AM

Sony 65X850A

I have a new 65X850A being delivered next Friday. I got it at a great price at $2199.00. I keep wondering if I made the correct decision. Should I have purchased the New 65X850B? I can get that for $2700.00. I am thinking that the picture quality on the X850A (VA panel, local dimming, motion flow 960) will be better than the X850B (LG IPS panel, frame dimming, motion flow 240) especially in the area of color and blacks. But I am thinking that the connectivity may be better on the X850B. Other than the H.265 issue (fixed by external Sony box) will the X850B have a better HDMI chip providing better color than 4.2.0, better color depth 8 bit and better bandwidth of 12 GBPS? I know the X850A Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility though software upgrade and supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit). This is the low end of the HDMI spec. Does the 65X850B offer a higher HDMI 2.0 spec like YCBCr 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 with 10bit and does this really have any impact on the picture in real life terms?

I am looking for good value but want something that will give me some longevity. I appreciate your help.
post #926 of 1004 Old 08-09-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a new 65X850A being delivered next Friday. I got it at a great price at $2199.00. I keep wondering if I made the correct decision. Should I have purchased the New 65X850B? I can get that for $2700.00. I am thinking that the picture quality on the X850A (VA panel, local dimming, motion flow 960) will be better than the X850B (LG IPS panel, frame dimming, motion flow 240) especially in the area of color and blacks. But I am thinking that the connectivity may be better on the X850B. Other than the H.265 issue (fixed by external Sony box) will the X850B have a better HDMI chip providing better color than 4.2.0, better color depth 8 bit and better bandwidth of 12 GBPS? I know the X850A Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility though software upgrade and supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit). This is the low end of the HDMI spec. Does the 65X850B offer a higher HDMI 2.0 spec like YCBCr 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 with 10bit and does this really have any impact on the picture in real life terms?

I am looking for good value but want something that will give me some longevity. I appreciate your help.
The A will definitely have better blacks, but the B range has noticeably better color IMO. I would get the B for only $500 more.
post #927 of 1004 Old 08-09-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
The A will definitely have better blacks, but the B range has noticeably better color IMO. I would get the B for only $500 more.

Thanks for replying. Is your only reason for going for the X850B is the color? I found when I compared the two that the color was more robust and much better blacks with the X850A. Any other reasons to go for the 65X850B? The X850B is a different story it has a VA panel. Thanks.
post #928 of 1004 Old 08-09-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for replying. Is your only reason for going for the X850B is the color? I found when I compared the two that the color was more robust and much better blacks with the X850A. Any other reasons to go for the 65X850B? The X850B is a different story it has a VA panel. Thanks.
The 850a has a VA panel. The 850b is IPS. From my experience the IPS panels have better uniformity, especially when it comes to banding. Also, like you said, it may have a broader spectrum of HDMI 2.0.

What do you mostly watch, sports or movies/shows. The IPS will be better for the former.
post #929 of 1004 Old 08-09-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
The 850a has a VA panel. The 850b is IPS. From my experience the IPS panels have better uniformity, especially when it comes to banding. Also, like you said, it may have a broader spectrum of HDMI 2.0.

What do you mostly watch, sports or movies/shows. The IPS will be better for the former.

Out of curiosity, why would IPS be better for sports? Is it a brightness issue? The MVA in my set can sear my retinas. The big issue is motion blur which I don't think IPS fixes. I do wish it had better uniformity though. Ever since you mentioned it, I can't help but see the banding....

FWIW, this site says the B also has 8 bit 4:2:0 color. Not sure how accurate that is though

http://4ktvsguide.blogspot.com/2014/...r-55x850b.html
post #930 of 1004 Old 08-09-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:

I watch football and also watch a lot of movies. But I have always observed that the IPS panels are a lot weaker in the blacks and I am use to a TV with a VA panel and afraid that I will miss the great blacks. But if I could determine that the connectivity is better than I could lean towards the X850B but apparently it may not.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
kd-55x8504a , kd-65x8504a , Sony , Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page