Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 971 Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
Had a question on the reality Creation control. When does Mastered in 4K become active to be usable? What does it do? Does it make a difference? I thought I saw it active once playing a disc now I cannot get it to work.

If I had to guess, it activates when viewing movies MASTERED IN 4K by SONY, correct? When I view the new Amazing Spiderman 2 which is mastered in 4 K it still is not active. Any ideas about this?
It becomes active when the scene selection is set on Cinema, but I'm still not sure what it does. I think it only activates when you're watching an actual 4K movie, like through the X10, but when you start playing it, it changes the scene selection to Cinema Mode automatically.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 971 Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think that the biggest fail about this tv is the ability to only play back up to 1080p from any video file format.

Basically for now the only way to get 4k is through the player?
post #963 of 971 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This unit was advertised as a 4K television. To the best of my knowledge, this is a 4K monitor and a 1080 television. I recently wrote an email to Sony Canada asking if this is correct. They haven't answered yet. I'm just trying to hook up my PC to the set via HDMI cable. My PC is quite new and supports 3840X2160 @ 24HZ on HDMI 1.4. If this TV had a DisplayPort 1.2 input (Sony oversight), I could run 3840X2160 @ 60 HZ. I will still need to find a 4K software player for my PC before I can actually play any 4K video. I'm not very happy with Sony and how they advertised this television. Their solution is for me to spend more money (buying a FMP-X5) to turn this unit into a 4K television. Bad solution for me, Good solution for Sony.
post #964 of 971 Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speaking for myself, I was totally aware of this when I bought it. I thought Sony was pretty clear about the specs.
post #965 of 971 Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

My last XBR was bought in 2006 and I needed/wanted a new TV. The main reason I bought the TV was for viewing my photos in 2160 res and the set does a stellar job. I knew that there wasn't much 4k video available and just assumed since it was an XBR (I've owned 3), Sony would have made the best guess where the technology was going and equip the TV accordingly (like my older XBRs). I understand the specs much better now and I agree that nowhere does it say it can read a 4k video file. Still strikes me as odd that they wouldn't have included a 4K reader in the hardware/software. My understanding is that when this set was designed there was at least one 4k format around. It is still a 4k monitor and a 1080 television. I believe that the 900A series buyers were even worse off.
post #966 of 971 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

I think I was snarkier than I meant to be. Sorry for that.

I think the only limitation is copy protected 4K streaming. I know it displayed upconverted 4K from my OPPO. I can't think why it wouldn't work from a PC.
post #967 of 971 Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

No problem or offense taken. Your statement about the specs was 100% correct. I'm just waiting now for a long HDMI cable so I can hook up. Without any 4k player on my PC yet, I think I'll just be able to view Windows7 user interface in 4K though I'm not sure. I'll report back.
post #968 of 971 Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba Louey View Post
No problem or offense taken. Your statement about the specs was 100% correct. I'm just waiting now for a long HDMI cable so I can hook up. Without any 4k player on my PC yet, I think I'll just be able to view Windows7 user interface in 4K though I'm not sure. I'll report back.
Thanks for putting up with me!

And yeah, let us know how it works out. I'm thrilled with the 1080P performance of the set, and am in no hurry to dive into 4K material yet. I still think patience will be rewarded as things get sorted out.

At least it's not as bad as the HD rollout with multiple interfaces.

Best of luck!
post #969 of 971 Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

I too am thrill with the 1080 performance, in fact I recently watched Rush on DVD (480p) and thought it looked great. If you shoot your photos in a raw format, try saving a few of your favourites to a jpg or some other photo format file at 3840x2160 resolution. Load them on a USB stick or stream them over your home network to the TV. The quality of the picture is impressive. That sold me on this TV.
post #970 of 971 Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke02 View Post
2,300 was the going rate for a NEW 65x850a at best buy before they sold out so I don't think it's a tremendous value for a floor model.
Didn't make it back to the store, but thanks for the reply!

If I can work them down more, I will go for it, but otherwise I guess the Sammy 7150 is in the lead. Sony seems to be off for this round. There doesn't seem to be a W850A or X850A this year.
post #971 of 971 Old Today, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I thought I read that the screen size adjustment should be set to Full Pixel under screen adjustments in order to get the best picture. I made sure to select under Full -Wide Mode but I am missing the option for Full Pixel. My only choices are normal, -1 and +1. I am using +1 which provide the smallest picture /least zoomed in picture. Am I not selecting something right in order for that option to show up? Thank for the assistance.

Last edited by acermen1212; Today at 01:11 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
kd-55x8504a , kd-65x8504a , Sony , Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page