Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1004 Old 09-12-2014, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XBR-55X850A Settings w/ Xbox One & Comcast Xfinity

Hi all,

I've had the set for almost a year and have tried a variety of settings over the months until I arrived at what I've found to be a really nice setup. I have my Comcast Xfinity cable running through my Xbox One and into the TV's HDMI 1 input. I should note that my TV is in a fairly well lit room (lots of daylight) so your mileage may vary:

Xfinity signal output to Xbox One:
1080i w/ no zooming (using the Comcast box to zoom destroys the picture)

Xbox One signal output to Sony TV:
1080P; Color Depth= 24bits per pixel; Color space= TV; Allow 3D= On;

TV Settings:
Scene: Cinema (for watching TV & Movies. I'm still working on my favorite Game mode settings)
Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Backlight: 5 (at night) and 7 (during the day)
Picture: 86
Brightness: 50
Color: 57
Hue: R2
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 40
Noise Red: Off
MPEG Noise Red: Off
Dot Noise Red: Off
Reality Creation: Auto
Mastered in 4K: Off
Video Area Det: Off
Resolution: Min
Noise Filtering: Min
Smooth Grad: Low
Motionflow: Clear (provides full vertical resolution vs. other modes)
Cinemotion: Auto (sometimes turn this off depending on material)
Black Corrector: Medium
Adv. Cont. Enh: Off
Gamma: -2
LED Dyn. Cont: Standard
Auto Light Lim: Low/Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Bal: RGain= 0; GGain= -3; BGain= -6; RBias= 0; GBias= 0; BBias= +1
Detail Enhance: Off
Edge Enhance: Off
Skin Natural: Off

Pro Picture Setup (Home-->Picture&Display-->Pro Picture Setup)
Video Color Space: Auto
Color Matrix: Auto
Dynamic Range: Auto
SBM: On
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1004 Old 09-12-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been running with the defaults and like the picture but I think it's about time that I try some other display settings. I'll give yours a try.
post #993 of 1004 Old 09-14-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Finally set up 3D on 850A. Watched Pacific Rim & Gravity. Looks amazing. If 4K does not revive 3D again, nothing will. What are some of the optimal settings for 3D? Backlight is at max & Picture is at 90. What changes should I make in picture settings as well as 3D settings for a more natural look?

Vinod
post #994 of 1004 Old 09-14-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I've been playing games on my Xbox One using the Simulated 3D on my 850A. I'm surprised how well it can convert any video signal into 3D.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #995 of 1004 Old 09-14-2014, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post
Finally set up 3D on 850A. Watched Pacific Rim & Gravity. Looks amazing. If 4K does not revive 3D again, nothing will. What are some of the optimal settings for 3D? Backlight is at max & Picture is at 90. What changes should I make in picture settings as well as 3D settings for a more natural look?
Agreed, watched Pacific rim on my 900a 65inch, 3d on pacific rim is mind blowing 3d is better then the theaters, watched part of jurassic park today and the 3d in that is just killer.
post #996 of 1004 Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_SF View Post
Hi all,

I've had the set for almost a year and have tried a variety of settings over the months until I arrived at what I've found to be a really nice setup. I have my Comcast Xfinity cable running through my Xbox One and into the TV's HDMI 1 input. I should note that my TV is in a fairly well lit room (lots of daylight) so your mileage may vary:

Xfinity signal output to Xbox One:
1080i w/ no zooming (using the Comcast box to zoom destroys the picture)

Xbox One signal output to Sony TV:
1080P; Color Depth= 24bits per pixel; Color space= TV; Allow 3D= On;

TV Settings:
Scene: Cinema (for watching TV & Movies. I'm still working on my favorite Game mode settings)
Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Backlight: 5 (at night) and 7 (during the day)
Picture: 86
Brightness: 50
Color: 57
Hue: R2
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 40
Noise Red: Off
MPEG Noise Red: Off
Dot Noise Red: Off
Reality Creation: Auto
Mastered in 4K: Off
Video Area Det: Off
Resolution: Min
Noise Filtering: Min
Smooth Grad: Low
Motionflow: Clear (provides full vertical resolution vs. other modes)
Cinemotion: Auto (sometimes turn this off depending on material)
Black Corrector: Medium
Adv. Cont. Enh: Off
Gamma: -2
LED Dyn. Cont: Standard
Auto Light Lim: Low/Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Bal: RGain= 0; GGain= -3; BGain= -6; RBias= 0; GBias= 0; BBias= +1
Detail Enhance: Off
Edge Enhance: Off
Skin Natural: Off

Pro Picture Setup (Home-->Picture&Display-->Pro Picture Setup)
Video Color Space: Auto
Color Matrix: Auto
Dynamic Range: Auto
SBM: On

I am a new owner (took delivery on 8-19-14) of the 65x850a and unfortunately I am disappointed. I find the picture soft on cable but it is a little better on Blueray. My previous Sony TV (KDL65W850A -1080p ) was sharper on both cable and BluRay but colors and blacks are better on the 65X850A. I also get a skip/jump in the motion of the picture once and awhile when using Motion Flow- Standard or Clear (I prefer clear). I did not get this on my previous Sony 1080p TV. I was wondering if the up-scaling and Motion Flow chips where not working correct which are on the main board. Since best buy was out of the 65X850A coupled with the fact that I got a great deal on this TV ($2100-new) I contacted Sony about the issue and they agreed to replace the main board which they thought could be the issue of the soft picture and the motion skipping.
The repair guy came on Thursday and he could not do the job himself, the TV had to be taken off the base and put face down to change the board. I could not help since I am recovering from back surgery, so I had to re-schedule. While the repair guy was here I saw the replacement board and it said on the packaging RE-Certified, which I am understanding that to be a refurbished board. I am not happy with this, since the TV is only a month old. I am so frustrated that day that I was thinking of possible exchanging it for the 65X850B cannot afford the 65X900B. I am concerned with this because I know the black levels on the new X850B will not be as good and it does not have the local dimming which helps with uniformity. Then there is the flashlighting issues on the X850B.
I may call Sony this week and ask for a new board and see what they say. I like the TV and cannot afford spending much more. I just think it could preform better with what I remember when the TV was on display.
May be I an expecting too much from this TV. Could the owners of this TV please tell me if the soft picture a characteristic of this TV? Also do owners see motion skipping/Jerking on Motion Flow settings standard and Clear. Thanks.
post #997 of 1004 Old 09-14-2014, 11:47 PM

Question.
I read transformers 4 was shot using special imax 4k 3d camera, making transformers 4 the first true 4k-3D. Micheal bay said the imax 4k-3d camera he used allow for full 4k-3d resolution for each eye.
So when using passive glasses youll still get full 4k-3d resolution.

Coukd this technology be passed on to the 4k tv's for future 4k-3d movies?
post #998 of 1004 Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
I am a new owner (took delivery on 8-19-14) of the 65x850a and unfortunately I am disappointed. I find the picture soft on cable but it is a little better on Blueray. My previous Sony TV (KDL65W850A -1080p ) was sharper on both cable and BluRay but colors and blacks are better on the 65X850A. I also get a skip/jump in the motion of the picture once and awhile when using Motion Flow- Standard or Clear (I prefer clear). I did not get this on my previous Sony 1080p TV. I was wondering if the up-scaling and Motion Flow chips where not working correct which are on the main board. Since best buy was out of the 65X850A coupled with the fact that I got a great deal on this TV ($2100-new) I contacted Sony about the issue and they agreed to replace the main board which they thought could be the issue of the soft picture and the motion skipping.
The repair guy came on Thursday and he could not do the job himself, the TV had to be taken off the base and put face down to change the board. I could not help since I am recovering from back surgery, so I had to re-schedule. While the repair guy was here I saw the replacement board and it said on the packaging RE-Certified, which I am understanding that to be a refurbished board. I am not happy with this, since the TV is only a month old. I am so frustrated that day that I was thinking of possible exchanging it for the 65X850B cannot afford the 65X900B. I am concerned with this because I know the black levels on the new X850B will not be as good and it does not have the local dimming which helps with uniformity. Then there is the flashlighting issues on the X850B.
I may call Sony this week and ask for a new board and see what they say. I like the TV and cannot afford spending much more. I just think it could preform better with what I remember when the TV was on display.
May be I an expecting too much from this TV. Could the owners of this TV please tell me if the soft picture a characteristic of this TV? Also do owners see motion skipping/Jerking on Motion Flow settings standard and Clear. Thanks.

For settings because of the soft picture I have to set Reality Creation resolution to 75, sharpness to 60, detail enhancement and edge enhancement to medium. With these settings the picture looks acceptale but sometimes artificial and too grainy on some material. Thank
post #999 of 1004 Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post
Anyone familiar with any professional comparisons between;
* Sony XBR-65X850A
* Samsung UN65F9000AF
* Sharp LC70UD1U
* LG 65LA9650

Also did you guys consider any of these?

I'm exchanging a Samsung 65ES800 that has a faint line down the center and a few dead pixels.

Are you a fan of 3d?
If so get the xbr-900a at 65inch
3d is better then the theaters, also the 4k picture quality is the best around
post #1000 of 1004 Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

I have 3 3D TVs, well 2 TVs and a 300" 1080P 3D projector, and the projector by far has the best 3D I've ever seen. It uses the expensive RF Active Shutter glasses, or the DLP Link glasses but they're not as good. Using the Monstervision 3D Active Shutter RF glasses, you can see the 3D from anywhere, even standing next to the side of the screen. Most 3D works where you have to sit within a certain degree of the screen, that's how movie screens are setup. You can't sit outside of that range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
post #1001 of 1004 Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM

Now, they say you can't see an HD 3D film unless you use a setup, which I've seen available, mount 2 projectors top to bottom where one projector shows what you would see if your left eye in HD and the other projector would show what you would see in your right eye. I haven't gone that far yet. A friend of mine has Sony's high end projector in his theater and it looks good and would look even better with this type of setup, but the projector runs for about $15-20k. Buying 2 would be out of the question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
post #1002 of 1004 Old Today, 01:32 PM

Went to bestbuy and compared their 4k picture to my sony 4k 65x900a at home and still noticed their picture looks alittle more crisp and cleaner then mine, even usimg jerry's settings and numerous others I cant get my picture up to par with bestbuy's even their samsung 4k looks better.

Yesterday they had on "real steel" blue-ray on one of their 4ktv's, and the picture looked so real, it almost like live, like looking out the window, I guess some refer to this as the soap opera look?
I dont know what the look is but it looks amazing. How can I get that look on my sony 65x900a?
post #1003 of 1004 Old Today, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why not copy down the settings of the Best Buy TV and try them at home? I doubt that using the settings will give you the same experience at home though because your house probably does not have the same fluorescent lighting and lack of windows near the TV section like the store does.
post #1004 of 1004 Old Today, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got my XBR55X850A delivered today and I have her up and running. All I can say is WOW! This beast puts my KDL46XBR8 to shame. Avatar on blue ray is incredible! I think I'm going to be very happy and I also hope it holds up better than my XBR8 did.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
kd-55x8504a , kd-65x8504a , Sony , Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page