Official Sony XBR-55X850A / XBR-65X850A Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 1085 Old 09-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Member
 
Jeff_in_SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
XBR-55X850A Settings w/ Xbox One & Comcast Xfinity

Hi all,

I've had the set for almost a year and have tried a variety of settings over the months until I arrived at what I've found to be a really nice setup. I have my Comcast Xfinity cable running through my Xbox One and into the TV's HDMI 1 input. I should note that my TV is in a fairly well lit room (lots of daylight) so your mileage may vary:

Xfinity signal output to Xbox One:
1080i w/ no zooming (using the Comcast box to zoom destroys the picture)

Xbox One signal output to Sony TV:
1080P; Color Depth= 24bits per pixel; Color space= TV; Allow 3D= On;

TV Settings:
Scene: Cinema (for watching TV & Movies. I'm still working on my favorite Game mode settings)
Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Backlight: 5 (at night) and 7 (during the day)
Picture: 86
Brightness: 50
Color: 57
Hue: R2
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 40
Noise Red: Off
MPEG Noise Red: Off
Dot Noise Red: Off
Reality Creation: Auto
Mastered in 4K: Off
Video Area Det: Off
Resolution: Min
Noise Filtering: Min
Smooth Grad: Low
Motionflow: Clear (provides full vertical resolution vs. other modes)
Cinemotion: Auto (sometimes turn this off depending on material)
Black Corrector: Medium
Adv. Cont. Enh: Off
Gamma: -2
LED Dyn. Cont: Standard
Auto Light Lim: Low/Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Bal: RGain= 0; GGain= -3; BGain= -6; RBias= 0; GBias= 0; BBias= +1
Detail Enhance: Off
Edge Enhance: Off
Skin Natural: Off

Pro Picture Setup (Home-->Picture&Display-->Pro Picture Setup)
Video Color Space: Auto
Color Matrix: Auto
Dynamic Range: Auto
SBM: On
Jeff_in_SF is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 1085 Old 09-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've been running with the defaults and like the picture but I think it's about time that I try some other display settings. I'll give yours a try.
baba Louey is offline  
post #993 of 1085 Old 09-14-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vinodk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Camarillo, California
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Finally set up 3D on 850A. Watched Pacific Rim & Gravity. Looks amazing. If 4K does not revive 3D again, nothing will. What are some of the optimal settings for 3D? Backlight is at max & Picture is at 90. What changes should I make in picture settings as well as 3D settings for a more natural look?

Vinod
vinodk is offline  
post #994 of 1085 Old 09-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Member
 
rolldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been playing games on my Xbox One using the Simulated 3D on my 850A. I'm surprised how well it can convert any video signal into 3D.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
rolldog is offline  
post #995 of 1085 Old 09-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post
Finally set up 3D on 850A. Watched Pacific Rim & Gravity. Looks amazing. If 4K does not revive 3D again, nothing will. What are some of the optimal settings for 3D? Backlight is at max & Picture is at 90. What changes should I make in picture settings as well as 3D settings for a more natural look?
Agreed, watched Pacific rim on my 900a 65inch, 3d on pacific rim is mind blowing 3d is better then the theaters, watched part of jurassic park today and the 3d in that is just killer.
ultraflexed is online now  
post #996 of 1085 Old 09-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Senior Member
 
acermen1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_SF View Post
Hi all,

I've had the set for almost a year and have tried a variety of settings over the months until I arrived at what I've found to be a really nice setup. I have my Comcast Xfinity cable running through my Xbox One and into the TV's HDMI 1 input. I should note that my TV is in a fairly well lit room (lots of daylight) so your mileage may vary:

Xfinity signal output to Xbox One:
1080i w/ no zooming (using the Comcast box to zoom destroys the picture)

Xbox One signal output to Sony TV:
1080P; Color Depth= 24bits per pixel; Color space= TV; Allow 3D= On;

TV Settings:
Scene: Cinema (for watching TV & Movies. I'm still working on my favorite Game mode settings)
Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Backlight: 5 (at night) and 7 (during the day)
Picture: 86
Brightness: 50
Color: 57
Hue: R2
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 40
Noise Red: Off
MPEG Noise Red: Off
Dot Noise Red: Off
Reality Creation: Auto
Mastered in 4K: Off
Video Area Det: Off
Resolution: Min
Noise Filtering: Min
Smooth Grad: Low
Motionflow: Clear (provides full vertical resolution vs. other modes)
Cinemotion: Auto (sometimes turn this off depending on material)
Black Corrector: Medium
Adv. Cont. Enh: Off
Gamma: -2
LED Dyn. Cont: Standard
Auto Light Lim: Low/Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Bal: RGain= 0; GGain= -3; BGain= -6; RBias= 0; GBias= 0; BBias= +1
Detail Enhance: Off
Edge Enhance: Off
Skin Natural: Off

Pro Picture Setup (Home-->Picture&Display-->Pro Picture Setup)
Video Color Space: Auto
Color Matrix: Auto
Dynamic Range: Auto
SBM: On



I am a new owner (took delivery on 8-19-14) of the 65x850a and unfortunately I am disappointed. I find the picture soft on cable but it is a little better on Blueray. My previous Sony TV (KDL65W850A -1080p ) was sharper on both cable and BluRay but colors and blacks are better on the 65X850A. I also get a skip/jump in the motion of the picture once and awhile when using Motion Flow- Standard or Clear (I prefer clear). I did not get this on my previous Sony 1080p TV. I was wondering if the up-scaling and Motion Flow chips where not working correct which are on the main board. Since best buy was out of the 65X850A coupled with the fact that I got a great deal on this TV ($2100-new) I contacted Sony about the issue and they agreed to replace the main board which they thought could be the issue of the soft picture and the motion skipping.
The repair guy came on Thursday and he could not do the job himself, the TV had to be taken off the base and put face down to change the board. I could not help since I am recovering from back surgery, so I had to re-schedule. While the repair guy was here I saw the replacement board and it said on the packaging RE-Certified, which I am understanding that to be a refurbished board. I am not happy with this, since the TV is only a month old. I am so frustrated that day that I was thinking of possible exchanging it for the 65X850B cannot afford the 65X900B. I am concerned with this because I know the black levels on the new X850B will not be as good and it does not have the local dimming which helps with uniformity. Then there is the flashlighting issues on the X850B.
I may call Sony this week and ask for a new board and see what they say. I like the TV and cannot afford spending much more. I just think it could preform better with what I remember when the TV was on display.
May be I an expecting too much from this TV. Could the owners of this TV please tell me if the soft picture a characteristic of this TV? Also do owners see motion skipping/Jerking on Motion Flow settings standard and Clear. Thanks.
acermen1212 is offline  
post #997 of 1085 Old 09-15-2014, 12:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Question.
I read transformers 4 was shot using special imax 4k 3d camera, making transformers 4 the first true 4k-3D. Micheal bay said the imax 4k-3d camera he used allow for full 4k-3d resolution for each eye.
So when using passive glasses youll still get full 4k-3d resolution.

Coukd this technology be passed on to the 4k tv's for future 4k-3d movies?
ultraflexed is online now  
post #998 of 1085 Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
acermen1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
I am a new owner (took delivery on 8-19-14) of the 65x850a and unfortunately I am disappointed. I find the picture soft on cable but it is a little better on Blueray. My previous Sony TV (KDL65W850A -1080p ) was sharper on both cable and BluRay but colors and blacks are better on the 65X850A. I also get a skip/jump in the motion of the picture once and awhile when using Motion Flow- Standard or Clear (I prefer clear). I did not get this on my previous Sony 1080p TV. I was wondering if the up-scaling and Motion Flow chips where not working correct which are on the main board. Since best buy was out of the 65X850A coupled with the fact that I got a great deal on this TV ($2100-new) I contacted Sony about the issue and they agreed to replace the main board which they thought could be the issue of the soft picture and the motion skipping.
The repair guy came on Thursday and he could not do the job himself, the TV had to be taken off the base and put face down to change the board. I could not help since I am recovering from back surgery, so I had to re-schedule. While the repair guy was here I saw the replacement board and it said on the packaging RE-Certified, which I am understanding that to be a refurbished board. I am not happy with this, since the TV is only a month old. I am so frustrated that day that I was thinking of possible exchanging it for the 65X850B cannot afford the 65X900B. I am concerned with this because I know the black levels on the new X850B will not be as good and it does not have the local dimming which helps with uniformity. Then there is the flashlighting issues on the X850B.
I may call Sony this week and ask for a new board and see what they say. I like the TV and cannot afford spending much more. I just think it could preform better with what I remember when the TV was on display.
May be I an expecting too much from this TV. Could the owners of this TV please tell me if the soft picture a characteristic of this TV? Also do owners see motion skipping/Jerking on Motion Flow settings standard and Clear. Thanks.

For settings because of the soft picture I have to set Reality Creation resolution to 75, sharpness to 60, detail enhancement and edge enhancement to medium. With these settings the picture looks acceptale but sometimes artificial and too grainy on some material. Thank
acermen1212 is offline  
post #999 of 1085 Old 09-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post
Anyone familiar with any professional comparisons between;
* Sony XBR-65X850A
* Samsung UN65F9000AF
* Sharp LC70UD1U
* LG 65LA9650

Also did you guys consider any of these?

I'm exchanging a Samsung 65ES800 that has a faint line down the center and a few dead pixels.

Are you a fan of 3d?
If so get the xbr-900a at 65inch
3d is better then the theaters, also the 4k picture quality is the best around
ultraflexed is online now  
post #1000 of 1085 Old 09-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Member
 
rolldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have 3 3D TVs, well 2 TVs and a 300" 1080P 3D projector, and the projector by far has the best 3D I've ever seen. It uses the expensive RF Active Shutter glasses, or the DLP Link glasses but they're not as good. Using the Monstervision 3D Active Shutter RF glasses, you can see the 3D from anywhere, even standing next to the side of the screen. Most 3D works where you have to sit within a certain degree of the screen, that's how movie screens are setup. You can't sit outside of that range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
rolldog is offline  
post #1001 of 1085 Old 09-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Member
 
rolldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Now, they say you can't see an HD 3D film unless you use a setup, which I've seen available, mount 2 projectors top to bottom where one projector shows what you would see if your left eye in HD and the other projector would show what you would see in your right eye. I haven't gone that far yet. A friend of mine has Sony's high end projector in his theater and it looks good and would look even better with this type of setup, but the projector runs for about $15-20k. Buying 2 would be out of the question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
rolldog is offline  
post #1002 of 1085 Old 09-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Went to bestbuy and compared their 4k picture to my sony 4k 65x900a at home and still noticed their picture looks alittle more crisp and cleaner then mine, even usimg jerry's settings and numerous others I cant get my picture up to par with bestbuy's even their samsung 4k looks better.

Yesterday they had on "real steel" blue-ray on one of their 4ktv's, and the picture looked so real, it almost like live, like looking out the window, I guess some refer to this as the soap opera look?
I dont know what the look is but it looks amazing. How can I get that look on my sony 65x900a?
ultraflexed is online now  
post #1003 of 1085 Old 09-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Member
 
Jeff_in_SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why not copy down the settings of the Best Buy TV and try them at home? I doubt that using the settings will give you the same experience at home though because your house probably does not have the same fluorescent lighting and lack of windows near the TV section like the store does.
Jeff_in_SF is offline  
post #1004 of 1085 Old 09-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got my XBR55X850A delivered today and I have her up and running. All I can say is WOW! This beast puts my KDL46XBR8 to shame. Avatar on blue ray is incredible! I think I'm going to be very happy and I also hope it holds up better than my XBR8 did.
wecampbe is offline  
post #1005 of 1085 Old 09-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Senior Member
 
acermen1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecampbe View Post
Just got my XBR55X850A delivered today and I have her up and running. All I can say is WOW! This beast puts my KDL46XBR8 to shame. Avatar on blue ray is incredible! I think I'm going to be very happy and I also hope it holds up better than my XBR8 did.


Congratulations on you new TV. Where did you get it? It will even get better over time as you learn to fine tune the adjustments for even a better picture. There are suggestions in this thread but remember it really comes down to what you like.


Be aware that there is some break in time for this TV due to the electronics in the set and the TRILUMINOS filters in the screen.


My own personal setting preferences is using standard with all the filters off, reality creation set to auto, sharpness at 55 and motion flow at clear. Just try the different settings and see what you like. You may change it many times.
acermen1212 is offline  
post #1006 of 1085 Old 09-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
Congratulations on you new TV. Where did you get it? It will even get better over time as you learn to fine tune the adjustments for even a better picture. There are suggestions in this thread but remember it really comes down to what you like.


Be aware that there is some break in time for this TV due to the electronics in the set and the TRILUMINOS filters in the screen.


My own personal setting preferences is using standard with all the filters off, reality creation set to auto, sharpness at 55 and motion flow at clear. Just try the different settings and see what you like. You may change it many times.
I ordered it from the Sony Online Outlet Store. It's a refurbished unit but I also purchased the five year extended warranty. I'm still using the out of the box settings but I'm sure I will get around to playing with some of the settings. I really like the crispness of the colors and the sharpness of the picture. Thanks for the info on break in time.
wecampbe is offline  
post #1007 of 1085 Old 09-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've posted this on the 900A forum too. Has anyone tried playing a 4k file with PowerDVD Ultra 14 on their PC and ultimately on to their TV via HDMI. It seems like it should work but if someone has tried it already I'd like to learn from their experience.


Thanks.
baba Louey is offline  
post #1008 of 1085 Old 09-29-2014, 03:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Need help.
My dad's house has a built in entertainment center so it cannot fit a 65inch 900a.
He wants to by a 4k tv but wants passive 3d also but the 55 inch 900a shows 540p in 3d so thats a no go.
He saw the 65x850a and thats a passive as you guys know, I have questions.
Do the 65x850a tv's support hdmi 2.0 and hvec, how many ports?
Does the 65x850a show 3d in 540 or 1080p.

I have the xbr 65x900a, I was hoping they would have similar specs.
ultraflexed is online now  
post #1009 of 1085 Old 09-29-2014, 06:58 AM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Does he currently have a 3D TV? I spent a lot of time getting 3D just right - watched 1 3D movie and never bothered to watch another although I have several movies I can playback 3D. Maybe if I had an 85" TV I'd try it again (although I doubt it). I have a 65" TV about 10' from my couch. I would have to sit MUCH MUCH closer to give a fig about 3D or have a MUCH MUCH bigger TV. I'm not trying to talk you into any TV - but I really don't know anyone who uses 3D on their 3D TV and I'm friends with quite a few AV geeks (I'm one of the biggest geeks of all ).
boe is online now  
post #1010 of 1085 Old 09-29-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vinodk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Camarillo, California
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
BTW 850A is not passive, its active 3D. I have watched couple of 3D movies on 850A & quite impressed by it.

Vinod
vinodk is offline  
post #1011 of 1085 Old 09-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Does he currently have a 3D TV? I spent a lot of time getting 3D just right - watched 1 3D movie and never bothered to watch another although I have several movies I can playback 3D. Maybe if I had an 85" TV I'd try it again (although I doubt it). I have a 65" TV about 10' from my couch. I would have to sit MUCH MUCH closer to give a fig about 3D or have a MUCH MUCH bigger TV. I'm not trying to talk you into any TV - but I really don't know anyone who uses 3D on their 3D TV and I'm friends with quite a few AV geeks (I'm one of the biggest geeks of all ).
I have a xbr-x900a 65inch 4k and I watch movies all the time, when my parents come over they want to watch 3d movies because on my tv it as good as theaters
ultraflexed is online now  
post #1012 of 1085 Old 09-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Member
 
Kerimhadzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Frustrating... I can not get the blacks on the TV to look black at all, instead they are light gray. This is specifically through the FMP-X10 player. I know it automatically changes to cinema mode which by far has the worst look to me. The picture seems flat and the blacks are never black. Any suggestions?

I have the 65 850A

Last edited by Kerimhadzi; 09-29-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Kerimhadzi is offline  
post #1013 of 1085 Old 09-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
acermen1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerimhadzi View Post
Frustrating... I can not get the blacks on the TV to look black at all, instead they are light gray. This is specifically through the FMP-X10 player. I know it automatically changes to cinema mode which by far has the worst look to me. The picture seems flat and the blacks are never black. Any suggestions?

I have the 65 850A

Tell us in detail what your settings are.

Also I would reset your settings. Go to standard and hit the reset. See if that helps. Also set scene select to general and see if that helps.
acermen1212 is offline  
post #1014 of 1085 Old 09-30-2014, 04:43 AM
Senior Member
 
acermen1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
Went to bestbuy and compared their 4k picture to my sony 4k 65x900a at home and still noticed their picture looks alittle more crisp and cleaner then mine, even usimg jerry's settings and numerous others I cant get my picture up to par with bestbuy's even their samsung 4k looks better.

Yesterday they had on "real steel" blue-ray on one of their 4ktv's, and the picture looked so real, it almost like live, like looking out the window, I guess some refer to this as the soap opera look?
I dont know what the look is but it looks amazing. How can I get that look on my sony 65x900a?



Turn our scene select to general. Turn picture mode to vivid and then adjust to taste. This should be close to what you see in the store.
acermen1212 is offline  
post #1015 of 1085 Old 09-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Member
 
rolldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's active, but it's a different active 3D than my projector, which uses an RF modulator. That's the best 3D I've ever seen, but the glasses cost about $100 and have to be recharged often. It also has DLP Link 3D, which I bought glasses for but wasn't as impressed.

The 850A also has the simul-view, or whatever it's called, where 2 people can be playing a game and each person sees a different picture on the screen, instead of splitting the screen in half. I'd like to know what games that feature is compatible with.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
rolldog is offline  
post #1016 of 1085 Old 09-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Member
 
rolldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
Need help.
My dad's house has a built in entertainment center so it cannot fit a 65inch 900a.
He wants to by a 4k tv but wants passive 3d also but the 55 inch 900a shows 540p in 3d so thats a no go.
He saw the 65x850a and thats a passive as you guys know, I have questions.
Do the 65x850a tv's support hdmi 2.0 and hvec, how many ports?
Does the 65x850a show 3d in 540 or 1080p.

I have the xbr 65x900a, I was hoping they would have similar specs.
Nothing can show true 1080P 3D, that I'm aware of, unless you use a setup utilizing 2 projectors. Then each projector is setup to project a 1080P signal for each eye.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
rolldog is offline  
post #1017 of 1085 Old 09-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Member
 
rolldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerimhadzi View Post
Frustrating... I can not get the blacks on the TV to look black at all, instead they are light gray. This is specifically through the FMP-X10 player. I know it automatically changes to cinema mode which by far has the worst look to me. The picture seems flat and the blacks are never black. Any suggestions?

I have the 65 850A
You know that when it's set for Cinema mode, you have access to a lot more picture adjustments than you do with any other scene selection. Have you gone into the picture setup when it's in Cinema mode and changed any of the new picture adjustments it opens up?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
rolldog is offline  
post #1018 of 1085 Old 10-01-2014, 05:29 AM
Senior Member
 
acermen1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
"Frustrating... I can not get the blacks on the TV to look black at all, instead they are light gray. This is specifically through the FMP-X10 player. I know it automatically changes to cinema mode which by far has the worst look to me. The picture seems flat and the blacks are never black. Any suggestions?

I have the 65 850A"




Try turning down your back light that could affect your blacks also. Also try turning the Black Corrector and Adv. Contrast Enhancer to Medium.
acermen1212 is offline  
post #1019 of 1085 Old 10-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Member
 
Jeff_in_SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerimhadzi View Post
Frustrating... I can not get the blacks on the TV to look black at all, instead they are light gray. This is specifically through the FMP-X10 player. I know it automatically changes to cinema mode which by far has the worst look to me. The picture seems flat and the blacks are never black. Any suggestions?

I have the 65 850A
I suspect there might be a mismatch between the signal device's video output levels (ie. Cable box the DVD player you're using) and the video level that the tv is expecting to receive. I don't have access to the tv to see the exact wording but in the various settings that you access by pressing Home (with row of icons that say stuff like Preferences, Display & Sound, Network, etc), there's a section where you can select the appropriate video level for each input. The default is Auto (and the one I'd recommend) but you can change to
-Full (which expects the full digital 0-255 PC standard video output levels) or
- Limited (or maybe it's Standard i can't remember what the menu calls it). This is the normal 16-235 digital video output levels of the vast majority of DVD players, cable boxes, etc.
if you've changed it to Full (intended for PC's) but then connect a DVD player that outputs the normal video levels, you'll get much lighter blacks and might even notice a certain "haze" that seems to cover the whole picture because of the mismatch. If this setting isn't the reason behind your problem, you should list all of your settings here so others can chime in but without that into, the above would be my best guess on the issue. Good luck.
Kerimhadzi likes this.
Jeff_in_SF is offline  
post #1020 of 1085 Old 10-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Newbie
 
BigPapi01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Worth the money

Is it worth the extra $1000 to jump to the 900a ? Thanks for the help
BigPapi01 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
kd-55x8504a , kd-65x8504a , Sony , Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off