Official Sony XBR-55X850A / XBR-65X850A Owner's Thread - Page 38 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1111 of 1129 Old 02-25-2015, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know it there is a way to upgrade model XBR-65X850A to be able to stream 4K content from Netflix? or Amazon Prime?
I was told it needs: HEVC H.265 codec and maybe also: HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0

Seems pretty bad that I bought a Sony 4K tv and can't even watch 4K content that is now available.
I would think Sony with offer a solution.

Thanks for any help! Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1129 Old 02-25-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamattb View Post
Does anyone know it there is a way to upgrade model XBR-65X850A to be able to stream 4K content from Netflix? or Amazon Prime?
I was told it needs: HEVC H.265 codec and maybe also: HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0

Seems pretty bad that I bought a Sony 4K tv and can't even watch 4K content that is now available.
I would think Sony with offer a solution.
Didn't you say you had the X10? That is the only source of 4K material you'll have. You'd have the Sony 4K programs you buy from Sony, or a 4K Netflix subscription that would play from your X10 back to your TV. Amazon 4K on the X10 due soon.

Your A TV has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 but does not have .265 --- and as for Sony doing anything about A models, that is so far out of sight, I'd say you're peeing on a tree that's already suffering from uric shock syndrome.
post #1113 of 1129 Old 02-25-2015, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't have the X10 yet. Not sure I want to spend that much for limited content. I just wanted to make sure the X10 would play 4K content on my model in case I did decide to upgrade to X10 Media player. Do you know which HDMI input is HDCP 2.2 compliant?
post #1114 of 1129 Old 02-25-2015, 01:11 PM

Does anyone have suggestions on how to calibrate XBR-65X850A? What settings to use? Thanks, Matt
post #1115 of 1129 Old 03-14-2015, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've been searching to try and confirm something about the XBR55X850A I bought from Best Buy yesterday. It was an open box floor model and didn't come with 3d glasses, stand, remote, or manual. But I have it wall mounted and it looks great - just wondering about HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. Is this TV compliant with both standards so when less expensive 4K streaming sources become available they will work?
post #1116 of 1129 Old 03-15-2015, 09:13 AM

Liked: 12
HDMI 2.0 is on all 4 HDMI inputs, but only HDMI input 4 has HDCP 2.2, if I remember things correctly. I have an XBR65X850A.

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
post #1117 of 1129 Old 03-17-2015, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgersftw View Post
I've been searching to try and confirm something about the XBR55X850A I bought from Best Buy yesterday. It was an open box floor model and didn't come with 3d glasses, stand, remote, or manual. But I have it wall mounted and it looks great - just wondering about HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. Is this TV compliant with both standards so when less expensive 4K streaming sources become available they will work?
Just curious, How much did you buy it for if you don't mind me asking?
post #1118 of 1129 Old 03-17-2015, 07:00 AM

It was $988.88 - I think it was a pretty good deal. I went in for a different non-4K set and started watching the demo on the XBR950B and then the Vizio 55" P series (though not the Samsung - they had the brightness cranked so high it's impossible to tell what it would look like at home, and it was demonstrating its up conversion skills on a DirecTV feed of ESPN which, at native 720P, still looked pretty junky up close. Garbage in garbage out). Got me thinking I should spend a little more for when, in four or five years, 4K is much more widespread. The X850A was just sitting there, and I did a double take when I saw its price and snatched it up without having done my research. Thanks for your help, everyone.

Last edited by rutgersftw; 03-17-2015 at 07:07 AM.
post #1119 of 1129 Old 03-17-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Space View Post
HDMI 2.0 is on all 4 HDMI inputs, but only HDMI input 4 has HDCP 2.2, if I remember things correctly. I have an XBR65X850A.
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure, as great as 1080p looks on this set, that I could throw a UHD BD player on it in a year or so and enjoy its full capabilities as the FMP-X10 still seems to offer limited value @ $699.
post #1120 of 1129 Old 03-21-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I've had this television since June of 2014 and I believe I paid about $2600 for it from a local store. Couple of weeks ago I noticed a group of what I believe were dead pixels on the right hand of the television and couple of smaller areas right in the middle of the screen. I will try and upload the images. I then called sony and they walked me through the whole process and ultimately they had me upload images of the close up of the pixels as well as the image of the television turned on and serial and model number from the back of the unit. After about two days pass I get a call from their customer solutions. He immediately tells me that he was reviewing the notes from what the tech support person had made and that the dead pixels were "normal operation" is what I believe he called it and that there is nothing that can be done. At this point I kinda went off on the guy telling him about how pixels work and how this could never be considered a normal operation. He kept saying "I understand your frustration" and that he was going to forward my concern back to tech Dept again. He then offered me to have one of their "authorized" technicians come out and look at the television, and that I would be reimbursed for that eventually. I refused to pay anybody hundreds of dollars to tell me something I already know. I then demanded that the television gets replaced. As soon as I said that the guy said "Ok, send me a copy of your receipt and I will replace the television". I was like WTF? that was quick. He then emailed me back stating that the 2013 models were not in the warehouse and that I could chose from the B model (XBR65X850B OR XBR65x900B!) As much as I'd like the 900B I just couldn't do it due to space on the wall (already have wall mounted front speakers with 5.1 surround on the side of the television now) and besides the only difference as far as I know between the 900b and 850b is the speakers. I eventually went with the 850B. The next morning I got an email back from him that the television was ordered and to expect delivery in 3 weeks. They will also haul away the old television. The reason for this crazy long post is that if you notice dead pixels they WILL replace the television. I know I've read that Sony can be bad about that and it has to fit the certain criteria. This was my experience and hope it helps someone else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RRdxVPpSv-3vM7-OR6wAfxrPi9ZPJ4EpzqxHYqshqtALAYspN.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	494.8 KB
ID:	616273   Click image for larger version

Name:	ArSq2ItEh39HMyL22geesDyWjUZlcqWfXdzaYAx2vnILAYspN.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	616281  
post #1121 of 1129 Old 03-21-2015, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Kerim.

Thanks for the info. You are within the one year warranty period so the offer to replace makes some sense. I bought mine in Feb 2014 and I would guess they wouldn't offer me anything. Luckily my pixels are ok. The magic words seem to be 'the television gets replaced'. So the trick to getting the right service is to hold your ground and don't let Sony try to get out of their responsibility. Let us know how you like the 850B compared to the 850A. I still love the picture quality of mine.
post #1122 of 1129 Old 03-21-2015, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerim Hadzi View Post
So I've had this television since June of 2014 and I believe I paid about $2600 for it from a local store. Couple of weeks ago I noticed a group of what I believe were dead pixels on the right hand of the television and couple of smaller areas right in the middle of the screen. I will try and upload the images. I then called sony and they walked me through the whole process and ultimately they had me upload images of the close up of the pixels as well as the image of the television turned on and serial and model number from the back of the unit. After about two days pass I get a call from their customer solutions. He immediately tells me that he was reviewing the notes from what the tech support person had made and that the dead pixels were "normal operation" is what I believe he called it and that there is nothing that can be done. At this point I kinda went off on the guy telling him about how pixels work and how this could never be considered a normal operation. He kept saying "I understand your frustration" and that he was going to forward my concern back to tech Dept again. He then offered me to have one of their "authorized" technicians come out and look at the television, and that I would be reimbursed for that eventually. I refused to pay anybody hundreds of dollars to tell me something I already know. I then demanded that the television gets replaced. As soon as I said that the guy said "Ok, send me a copy of your receipt and I will replace the television". I was like WTF? that was quick. He then emailed me back stating that the 2013 models were not in the warehouse and that I could chose from the B model (XBR65X850B OR XBR65x900B!) As much as I'd like the 900B I just couldn't do it due to space on the wall (already have wall mounted front speakers with 5.1 surround on the side of the television now) and besides the only difference as far as I know between the 900b and 850b is the speakers. I eventually went with the 850B. The next morning I got an email back from him that the television was ordered and to expect delivery in 3 weeks. They will also haul away the old television. The reason for this crazy long post is that if you notice dead pixels they WILL replace the television. I know I've read that Sony can be bad about that and it has to fit the certain criteria. This was my experience and hope it helps someone else.

Good on you for getting them to do their job. I eventually got a replacement for my TV after lots of phone calls and emails - they really make it difficult.

Re: the differences between the two TVs - I think the 850a and 900a were pretty similar apart from the speakers. But the 850b and 900b have different technology and the 900b is generally regarded as superior.
post #1123 of 1129 Old 03-24-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerim Hadzi View Post
So I recently called Sony because my 65x850a that I have had for 9 months has started to have terrible ghosting. I called them and they told me to send them a few pictures of the defect. I sent it and they agree after several phone calls it should be replaced. I kept asking them what it will be replaced with since I have read that this model is currently out of stock. They said they could not tell me right now but I may recieve a call about it but it may be replaced with the 850b. Did this happen to you as well and what was the process of them telling you that another model will be sent?
post #1124 of 1129 Old 03-25-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alieti View Post
So I recently called Sony because my 65x850a that I have had for 9 months has started to have terrible ghosting. I called them and they told me to send them a few pictures of the defect. I sent it and they agree after several phone calls it should be replaced. I kept asking them what it will be replaced with since I have read that this model is currently out of stock. They said they could not tell me right now but I may receive a call about it but it may be replaced with the 850b. Did this happen to you as well and what was the process of them telling you that another model will be sent?
The agreement to have the television was made over the phone and he sent me an email the next morning on what television I may choose. After I sent him an email saying I wanted the 850B he sent me another email saying that it was ordered and and that I should expect delivery in approx. 3 weeks.
post #1125 of 1129 Old 03-25-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alieti View Post
So I recently called Sony because my 65x850a that I have had for 9 months has started to have terrible ghosting. I called them and they told me to send them a few pictures of the defect. I sent it and they agree after several phone calls it should be replaced. I kept asking them what it will be replaced with since I have read that this model is currently out of stock. They said they could not tell me right now but I may recieve a call about it but it may be replaced with the 850b. Did this happen to you as well and what was the process of them telling you that another model will be sent?
BTW, how does my TV's clouding compare to yours? I feel like what I have is horrible but its literally only noticeable when the screen is all black.

Last edited by Kerim Hadzi; 03-26-2015 at 06:54 AM.
post #1126 of 1129 Unread Today, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I got these vertical lines going almost the whole width on the left side of the panel. It happened a year to the date that I purchased it, anybody have any experience with these?
post #1127 of 1129 Unread Today, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought a Sony XBR850A with the FMPX10 when they hit the market, but now I'm considering buying another Samsung, which I've always owned. I bought the Sony because of the content I could get from the media player, but now I feel like I got the shift because the TV itself won't play 4K video without the media player, so I don't even have access to Amazon's streaming 4K video because they've only rolled it out to the 850B and other sets that have the codec built-in. Now, DIRECTV, which I have, is rolling out 4K video to sets that have the built-in RVU technology, which is Samsung. I have another Samsung TV, a 1080P, which has the built-in RVU technology (basically has a DIRECTV receiver built into the TV) but this is necessary if you want to view 4K content through DIRECTV. Right now, content is king, and every manufacturer is trying to hoard 4K content of some type unless you buy their hardware, which sucks. Samsung is now pushing their SUHD display. I heard that some of LG's TVs will work with DIRECTV, but I've never owned on LG TV. I wish the entire industry would collaborate together when it comes to content instead of trying to keep what they have exclusive and try using it as leverage to buy their sets. If the industry would work together on this, we would all have access to tons if content and all manufacturers would benefit because the demand for 4K sets would increase proportionally.

Does anyone on this forum own more 4K TVs than just Sony, which is what this thread is dedicated to? By the way, is there a thread dedicated strictly to 4K content and providers?
post #1128 of 1129 Unread Today, 02:11 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
Does anyone on this forum own more 4K TVs than just Sony, which is what this thread is dedicated to? By the way, is there a thread dedicated strictly to 4K content and providers?
I own a Panasonic plasma as well - but that doesn't support 4K. I've set up a few Samsungs for friends and clients. I wasn't impressed with the motion on their 4K models at all but they certainly were curved. FYI I know about motion control, turning it on and off etc.

You might want to save a buttload and just get a 4K device such as the new Apple TV coming out in June - I'm thinking it will be 4K. If not there are other devices to choose from.
post #1129 of 1129 Unread Today, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a few 1080P plasmas, which I'll probably never get rid of because the quality is so good, but I need a 4K set, one with H.265 built-in and DIRECTV RVU. I'm also about to buy a QNAP TVS-x71, which will encode and stream 4K videos through my network, but I don't think the Sony XBR850A will be able to stream them. I'm considering using my 850A as a monitor for my PC, which is running 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked GPUs in SLI.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
kd-55x8504a , kd-65x8504a , Sony , Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread